Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

Comments

• KinichKinich Posts: 857
    edited December 1969

belovedalia & jakiblue

This could be a UV Set mismatch, I have seen something similar when applying the toon shaders over a normal texture set (CTRL & Click & ignore images).

To check select the figure, and check the 'UV Set' for all of the figure surfaces & set them all to match the original texture UV map.

It seems to happen if you use an alternative texture as the base (M4 & F5 at least don't have A5, H5or D5 to check) instead of V4/V5/M5 or Genesis.

Hope this helps.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Those look like reflections to me. The ear is reflecting on the side of the head, the chin is reflecting on the neck, not sure about the one on the cheek. Maybe that's all it is.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    the eyes come with the texture but the main thing is that I'm using project Eyeris on it :) Looks amazing doesn't it???
    now if only the skin shader wasn't having those weird issues!!

whoa, I need to get that Eyeris then. LOL.

And yep, I'm having hte same issues iwth the skin on Skin 1 and 2. I'm wondering if it's the lighting.

I'm sure it is the lighting, as the angle changes the artifacts, even yoru camera angle makes them change.
    but how can you use the skin shader if it is that wonky? :(

Anyway you're in luck that the Eyeris is 30% off now like most things in teh store. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/project-eyeris

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    belovedalia & jakiblue

This could be a UV Set mismatch, I have seen something similar when applying the toon shaders over a normal texture set (CTRL & Click & ignore images).

To check select the figure, and check the 'UV Set' for all of the figure surfaces & set them all to match the original texture UV map.

It seems to happen if you use an alternative texture as the base (M4 & F5 at least don't have A5, H5or D5 to check) instead of V4/V5/M5 or Genesis.

Hope this helps.

i used the base shader on a Stephanie 5 UV map. And using genesis.

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    the eyes come with the texture but the main thing is that I'm using project Eyeris on it :) Looks amazing doesn't it???
    now if only the skin shader wasn't having those weird issues!!

whoa, I need to get that Eyeris then. LOL.

And yep, I'm having hte same issues iwth the skin on Skin 1 and 2. I'm wondering if it's the lighting.

I'm sure it is the lighting, as the angle changes the artifacts, even yoru camera angle makes them change.
    but how can you use the skin shader if it is that wonky? :(

Anyway you're in luck that the Eyeris is 30% off now like most things in teh store. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/project-eyeris

i would get it, but unsure whether I'm smart enough to use it. LOL.

It does change, with camera angle changes. All I did was apply the base shader and change stuff to Skin 1. I didn't fiddle with any other settings, so possibly it's that too.

edited December 1969

UV Set Mismatch

First Image - Genesis with Freak 5 Base skin applied (uses Freak 5 UV set)

Second Image - As first image but SSS Toon Shader 'Skin Pink' applied using the CTRL Click & Ignore Images method to keep the underlying texture.

Third Image - Same as Image 2 but with the UV Set corrected to Freak 5 in the Surfaces tab of DS

F5-Base-Skin_Pink_Corrected.jpg
    600 x 600 - 75K
    F5-Base-Skin_Pink.jpg
    600 x 600 - 78K
    F5-Base.jpg
    600 x 600 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    UV Set Mismatch

Second Image - As first image but SSS Toon Shader 'Skin Pink' applied using the CTRL Click & Ignore Images method to keep the underlying texture.

Third Image - Same as Image 2 but with the UV Set corrected to Freak 5 in the Surfaces tab of DS

i double checked it - applied the Stephanie 5 mat, applied the base shader, changed skin stuff to Skin 1, and checked the UV maps - it definitely says Stephanie 5 UV, and still getting the oddity.

edited December 1969

UV map was correct.

What it looks like is that the shader is setting the disp min and max to 0, and bump min and max to zero, so its totally smooth. Also, reflection on the skin is 100 percent.

This is not using the toon shader or gummy shader, this is just the new base shader, set to 'skin 1 or skin 2"

When I turned of the skin reflection (even at low 10 percent I got those weird marks) it rendered better... when I added the bump and displacement to have a tiny bit of strength instead of nothing, it looks better....

0refAddDisp.jpg
    748 x 846 - 515K
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Kinich said:
    UV Set Mismatch

i double checked it - applied the Stephanie 5 mat, applied the base shader, changed skin stuff to Skin 1, and checked the UV maps - it definitely says Stephanie 5 UV, and still getting the oddity.

Oh well, in that case I have no further ideas, sorry I couldn't help.

edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    jakiblue said:
    Kinich said:
    UV Set Mismatch

Oh well, in that case I have no further ideas, sorry I couldn't help.

LOL tis ok. You gave it a shot, and it was a good one. I didn't even think of checking the UV maps, and the oddities ARE showing up in the areas where a UV mismatch does. :D

edited May 2013

It's a bit confusing that there are two separate "reflection" areas... the first one has a strength slider, I turned that down to 0 percent. I turned on reflection mode (at the bottom of the shader listings) as well as translucency.. will see if these have any effect

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

started over with a new file since i accidentally saved over the first one.

1. load genesis.
    2. apply xiao wen body/face shape and texture.
    3. apply shader base.
    4. render.
    5. run away screaming.

terror.jpg
    510 x 672 - 179K
    edited May 2013

okay so apparently the gums have 1.0 for max displacement >_<</p>

that's the setting that comes with the texture btw, just that for some reason the shader amplifies that a great deal....

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:

This is gorgeous

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited May 2013

opps sorry posted twice

Post edited by scorpio on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

okay so apparently the gums have 1.0 for max displacement >_<</p>

that's the setting that comes with the texture btw, just that for some reason the shader amplifies that a great deal....

Just had a look at Xiao Wen, as I bought her as well, and she doesn't have a displacement map on the gums. AoA specifically mentions this case in the PDF and this requires to set displacement min and max to 0 when no displacement map is used. This shader reacts a bit differently there than the usual DAZ Studio shaders.

The settings work in the same way as the default DAZ Studio shader with the exception that, when no displacement map is used, the Maximum Displacement and Minimum Displacement settings should be set to 0.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Brulba. This is the pink gooey Brulba. I changed the color, obviously, and played with the SSS scale. That's about it. Tiny bit of contrast and sharpening in PS post.

BrulbaSSS.jpg
    720 x 900 - 106K
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

my first attempt: Xarvis

v02b-7f.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 58K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    Hey Dad that is awesome...

I still haven't even installed the shaders yet.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hey Dad that is awesome...

I still haven't even installed the shaders yet.
    That is indeed awesome.

I've installed, but not used. Will be playing later!

• Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

My Light setup on video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6lyEVOHjN0&list=PLIz5Oj4tjilesUb2bFxJHR51MOy0HqCHs&index=1
    render time 2min 50sec (i7 2600K)

pic2.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
  • Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Hi belovedalia, I'm with Slosh, those artifacts really look like reflection to me.

Below is a V5 with the only change being that the SSS base shader was applied. I put a sky dome in the scene with a checker pattern applied to it. You can see that the checkers appear in the skin reflections. Without the sky dome the reflections only show the ears andn neck and chin and look very similar to those in the images you posted.

The reason for this is that the default V5, and many other presets, has reflection strength set to 100%. However the "Reflection Active" is turned off in the default. The SSS shader doesn't have "Reflection Active" setting so it thinks reflections should be 100% strength and enabled. Well, technically it does have a similar switch under the hood, where it disables all reflection calculations but it is tied to the reflection strength setting.

You mentioned reflection being in two different areas. I'm not sure I understand. Could it be that one surface has the SSS shader applied and another has the DS default shader or UberSurface on it? If so, when selecting more than one material at once can sometimes show the settings from both shaders.

For others that have noticed the UV seams when using CTL Click - Replace Maps - Off... The toon skin shaders use V4 mapping by default (except the eyes which are a custom UV set).

I chose that UV set since there are so many V4 texture sets available that this would make the presets the most useful. You can even use the toon skins on V4 if you like although the toon eye presets and morphs will probably not work on her.

As Kinich pointed out you can apply the preset over any existing textures but just remember to switch the UVs back to what ever UV set that the textures were intended for.

I' really enjoying seeing all the creative uses of the shader everyone has come up with.

Reflect-V52.jpg
    500 x 650 - 52K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

..so a question, have the SSS Base shaders installed. When I rendered a portrait I noticed the skin tones looked a bit different. Switching to the Surfaced tab I notice there were already values listed for the SSS settings. Does this kick in automatically?

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

That's weird Kyoto.

It shouldn't apply the shader unless the figure or mat was made to use it. Unless I am misunderstanding and you mean you applied the shader. If so then the SSS settings will appear and have values assigned to them but SSS should be off by default.

A few features are calculated slightly differently in the SSS shader. One of the biggest is Specular 1 which uses the 3delight model whereas the DS default uses Blinn.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Big WOW from me, too. These shaders looks great and it is so much fun to use them.
    Simply the best shaders, ever. Rendered in Daz Studio Pro 4.6. No postwork.
    One distant light with raytraced shadows was used to enlighten the scene.

What was your render time please?
    Really neat stuff happening here in this thread!
    The rendering time was 10 minutes 12 seconds on Windows PC with i7-3770K processor.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

farkris said:
    These look fantastic. Has anyone seen how they go with Reality?

Well I'm not an expert, but since they seem to be 3Delight Shaders, my guess would be "not at all"...

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..so a question, have the SSS Base shaders installed. When I rendered a portrait I noticed the skin tones looked a bit different. Switching to the Surfaced tab I notice there were already values listed for the SSS settings. Does this kick in automatically?

I noticed that when I re-rendered some old scenes I had originally setup in 4.5 in the new 4.6, there was a noticeable difference (though not a big difference) in the results. I think this is because it is using an updated version of 3Delight. It also renders a bit faster.
    Some materials in 4.5 had settings for SSS, although the results were, IMO, not as spectacular as the AoA SSS Base.
    And as I see AoA has already said, they don't kick in automatically, they have to be applied.
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

My first attempt applying the base shader.

SSSTest1.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 471K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

That's weird Kyoto.

It shouldn't apply the shader unless the figure or mat was made to use it. Unless I am misunderstanding and you mean you applied the shader. If so then the SSS settings will appear and have values assigned to them but SSS should be off by default.

A few features are calculated slightly differently in the SSS shader. One of the biggest is Specular 1 which uses the 3delight model whereas the DS default uses Blinn.

..well I was using one of the S5 skin maps which definitely appeared to have more translucency in 4.6 than it did in 4.5. Maybe as you mention it could be one of those that is set up for use with SSS.
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    farkris said:
    These look fantastic. Has anyone seen how they go with Reality?

Well I'm not an expert, but since they seem to be 3Delight Shaders, my guess would be "not at all"...

Barubary is correct cause Reality will NOT use any materials/shaders but those already built in to Lux Render.

Luxus on the other hand will pass the info on to Lux Render though I have not yet done that myself.