Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Hellboy is a pro at so many things, it makes my jaw drop every time I visit his links. :)
    And HeraldOfFire, absolutely ADORE your Candy Girl and the surfaces. Congrats!

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

I'm glad this has finally been released, I've been having fun playing with it and I've been eager to see other people putting it to use! AoA really did a good job of making this shader fully featured, there's plenty here to play with.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Thank you!

I am impressed. Only thing I have to find out is why I'm getting a heavy noisy pattern over the figures. It must be the render settings maybe, but I have to try more.

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863
    edited May 2013

Hellboy said:
    Thank you!

I am impressed. Only thing I have to find out is why I'm getting a heavy noisy pattern over the figures. It must be the render settings maybe, but I have to try more.

I too had this first, I thought I found out it has something to do with the shading rate of the SSS, set it lower, to 1 or less and you get rid of it, but I'm not sure about this. There's unfortunately no explanation of this in the PDF, maybe AoA knows exactly what to do.

Post edited by jepegraphics on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

O yeah, can't wait to see what some of you experts come up with... in the meantime, here's another one I tried - been having fun just seeing what it might do to some textures I already have.

Here's the Benjamin M5 texture with ss toon applied and tweaked a little - it can the buffed sheen 'pampered' boxers often have that get massages and ointment treatments all the time.

M5_Benjamin_Tooned.jpg
    1716 x 1080 - 293K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

A minor miscalculation on my part meant that my earlier candy girl image was using the same subsurface group for all of the gummies. This is what caused the heavy colour bleeding. It's a great effect, and will be very useful for certain styles, but I rendered the image again this morning with unique groups and the results are in...

Candy_Girl_Redux.png
    1000 x 1000 - 740K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Instant buy...went straight into the cart. I haven't had chance to download them yet but can't wait to play!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Here's something I tweaked with the SS Base. Surface white, Subsurface green, used the Marble setting, trying to simulate jade on the Buddha. I like how it turned out. Having a ball with this new shader.

Buddah.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 238K
    edited May 2013

Getting a bit better, and I also love the shiny plastic on fibermesh hair...
    (ss toon skin with Marisol V4 texture, plastic & gummy bikini, and plastic fibermesh hair)

Plastic_Hair.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 303K
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

I was very excited to see these shaders, and that they were from Age of Armour (I use the cameras all the time). The depth of the shader and the documentation are excellent. Initial tests are very promising (sorry, nothing to show).

I do have one disappointment: specular. Please, please, please, reconsider redoing the specular and allowing the user to choose what specular model is employed in EITHER channel. Human skin requires two specular layers, and I'm sorry but a second layer phong is not going to cut it.

Please don't take offense, and don't assume this is just another forum troll griping.

I adore your work, and the simple fact that someone else has braved the waters of custom shaders: I applaud you! Far better than I could have ever done!

Food for thought, that's all.

I'll be grabbing the add-ons, probably today. Hope to have some time real soon to really see what the shader can do.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

I do have one disappointment: specular. Please, please, please, reconsider redoing the specular and allowing the user to choose what specular model is employed in EITHER channel. Human skin requires two specular layers, and I'm sorry but a second layer phong is not going to cut it.

Limitation of the Shader Mixer, all of the "buttons" at the bottom of a brick are internal SM code only and never appear in the Surfaces tab, so the only way to change them is in the Shader Mixer.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Limitation of the Shader Mixer, all of the "buttons" at the bottom of a brick are internal SM code only and never appear in the Surfaces tab, so the only way to change them is in the Shader Mixer.

Um, pwSurface allows us to choose a specular model.

edited December 1969

Hot damn.

I'd still like that specular flexibility, but... testing is beyond good.

D5, Morris's Gunner shape and maps. Only the broadest strokes of tuning the skin, no eyes or anything. Simplest lights: 1 distant, 1 UE

Color me impressed and quite pleased.

d5AoAshader.jpg
    800 x 600 - 137K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Um, pwSurface allows us to choose a specular model.

pwSurface isn't a Shader Mixer shader, it's written in RSL and compiled. That's why it can have real On/Off switches instead of a 0 to 1 slider too.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...and don't you need pwSurface2 to work with it in ver. 3.x and above? I only have the original version.

Looks like it's time to learn how to use the shader mixer (though I have a tutorial file floating around somewhere for it).

• GeneRufusGeneRufus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here's my first attempt with the set.

Skin is Ami from Renderosity, with a tweaked version of the toon skin shader, shiny plastic with a lot of playing around on the ambient settings for the jewels and fabric, and one of the metalalized glass presets for the metal.

GlowFae.jpg
    956 x 723 - 371K
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

^ Really nice render!

I wish I could contribute my own picture, but I get always an error that something is missing and i don't know what. How can I fix it, please?

missing.jpg
    1049 x 712 - 374K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, this is what I'm talkin' about, hehehe

Link to higher res version and links to WIP images - http://fav.me/d65ldgu

Burning_Heart.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 461K
    edited December 1969

^ Really nice render!

I wish I could contribute my own picture, but I get always an error that something is missing and i don't know what. How can I fix it, please?

Looks like you maybe forgot to install the Subsurface Shader Base? http://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-shader-base
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the fast help. Installed and it works. Now I have to find something to tie up my chin, which is folded down when I saw the first result. It looks like that this shaders are another milestone for DAZ.

edited May 2013

Hmm, I'm getting some slightly unusual results with some combinations of the plastic shader. Namely, the white plastic is coming out black. Two things should be noted about the scene in question. Firstly, it's a fairly big scene with sixteen complete figures all using the aforementioned shaders. Secondly, there are multiple colours of the plastic shader being used, each colour in its own unique group.

Why sixteen? Well, I'm working on a chessboard with pieces, but I've had to split the render into two halves because of the memory footprint required (16Gb when fully loaded, a far more manageable 8Gb when I load half). An earlier attempt at rendering the entire scene gave me a weird error message, and rendered everything as pure white; evidence my PC is in severe need of a memory upgrade. The whites on the chessboard render fine and are using the same shader, it's just the whites on the figurines (replaced all Genesis textures with the white plastic preset) which turn black.

I don't see any reason why the reduced version shouldn't be rendering fine though. I'd post an example, but even a spot render takes a while to finish due to the scene complexity. Just picture black plastic SSS shader in place of where there is supposed to be white and you're pretty much spot on. Bizarrely, none of the other colours seem affected. In addition to the white I'm using pinks, yellows, reds and creams. All of them bar white seem to work flawlessly.

White does work in more simple images though, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with how it interacts with the other materials nearby.

Edit: As another bug/ill effect, I did a smaller scale render and got the following error message. The subsurface surfaces rendered out white during this.

3Delight message #146 (Severity 2): S2074: cannot assign variable of type 'uniform float' to parameter 'uniform color
    elr_47293275_c32c_4158_8686_bc7b72d43939_token_34' (shader: 'brickyard/{407f8e5c-3a9b-4708-b5e5-
    799ff1fe7c1d}/shader_Surface')
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited May 2013

WOW is the word alright.... absolutely brilliant Shader...thanks heaps AoA

Larger View: http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/SSS-Bree-01C-AoA-SSS-372242664

SSS_Bree_01C_AoA_SSSA.jpg
    926 x 1500 - 154K
    Post edited by Laticis Imagery on
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 551
    edited December 1969

Here is Hitomi with after applying the pale skin shader, brown eyes with gloss on the lips. Color me impressed!

Hitomi_-_After.jpg
    500 x 700 - 208K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Say, I have a question: what morphs are used to create the cartoon hero in the Toon preset set?

I've been able to get a similar look by using GenX to create a Genesis version of the Max Muscles set by Predatron (http://www.daz3d.com/max-muscles). Is that what you did for this character?

Thanks in advance.

• Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited May 2013

my pics in 4.6 with new base SSS shader

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279_98/

render_ps8_ss8.png
    720 x 1280 - 1M
    good_02.png
    720 x 1280 - 1M
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

Color me impressed with what everyone has shown thus far. I cannot wait to have time to play with it myself. Hopefully tomorrow (sometime)

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Hmm, I'm getting some slightly unusual results with some combinations of the plastic shader. Namely, the white plastic is coming out black. Two things should be noted about the scene in question. Firstly, it's a fairly big scene with sixteen complete figures all using the aforementioned shaders. Secondly, there are multiple colours of the plastic shader being used, each colour in its own unique group.

Why sixteen? Well, I'm working on a chessboard with pieces, but I've had to split the render into two halves because of the memory footprint required (16Gb when fully loaded, a far more manageable 8Gb when I load half). An earlier attempt at rendering the entire scene gave me a weird error message, and rendered everything as pure white; evidence my PC is in severe need of a memory upgrade. The whites on the chessboard render fine and are using the same shader, it's just the whites on the figurines (replaced all Genesis textures with the white plastic preset) which turn black.

I don't see any reason why the reduced version shouldn't be rendering fine though. I'd post an example, but even a spot render takes a while to finish due to the scene complexity. Just picture black plastic SSS shader in place of where there is supposed to be white and you're pretty much spot on. Bizarrely, none of the other colours seem affected. In addition to the white I'm using pinks, yellows, reds and creams. All of them bar white seem to work flawlessly.

White does work in more simple images though, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with how it interacts with the other materials nearby.

Edit: As another bug/ill effect, I did a smaller scale render and got the following error message. The subsurface surfaces rendered out white during this.

3Delight message #146 (Severity 2): S2074: cannot assign variable of type 'uniform float' to parameter 'uniform color
    elr_47293275_c32c_4158_8686_bc7b72d43939_token_34' (shader: 'brickyard/{407f8e5c-3a9b-4708-b5e5-
    799ff1fe7c1d}/shader_Surface')

I've caught this situation, too. It seems that applying the shaders sometimes makes the diffuse go to zero. Just increase the diffuse and it should render fine.

• SomrueSomrue Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

It will be fun re-rendering older scenes with the new shader.

Now_That_Im_Here_003.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

Luxus very good translated this shader ! :)

edited May 2013

Slosh said:
    I've caught this situation, too. It seems that applying the shaders sometimes makes the diffuse go to zero. Just increase the diffuse and it should render fine.

I noticed that, but thought it was intentional in order to keep the plastic look with all of the reflected light coming from the subsurface rather than the diffuse. I'll experiment and see if adding a little diffuse remedies it without wrecking the effect.
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on