Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

1161718192022»

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

If you don't have the shadows on the light sort of bounces around too much. I guess shadows stop the over bounce (or something!). It should not hurt the render to have shadows on all the lights. If the shadows are to hard you can always lower shadow intensity to soften them.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited September 2014

OK, so I turned on raytrace on the specular light, and dropped it to 1% to see what it would do. I guess IBL does not have shadows. Anyway, that did seem to decrease it a bunch. Thanks for the tip! :) Working on the final render now, Ill post an thumbnail and a link when done.

update: Now I've got to figure out if I prefer the Advanced Ambient light or an IBL light...both look good in their own way...I guess no render tonight...sigh. Thanks again.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Uberlights (which are image based lights) have a couple of different types of shadows. Occlusion with soft shadows and directional shadows. With directional shadows the light map would need to have a section that was lighter vs darker areas so that it casts a shadow from that area.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited December 1969

...try reducing the Occlusion bias.

While I don't use Uberlights much anymore a similar issue also occurs with the Advanced Ambient Light as well. I set the occlusion bias to .1 and that usually resolves the "glow" issue.

edited December 1969

I think it was too late last night and my eyes were telling me what I wanted to see. Unfortunately, the glow is still there. Its not terrible, but noticeable in the armpit area and the clasped hands. :( I tried all different settings with no luck. Maybe Age of Armour will see this and comment. I am going to call it "good enough" for now.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

Did you tried changing those parts IDs? I tend to do that here and there and it solves the issue.
    Or, could it be you have Ambient SSS Contribution activted? (Not entirely sure if that could cause it, but check it just in case)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2014

I have a feeling this may actually be the shading scale. I am thinking if its anything like the DO characters the Shading scale in AoA SSS is 0.50 (actually too high for humans, the true shading scale for DS is 0.10) and being a toon SSS shader it, I would imagine, would be significantly higher.

I'm guessing the AoA SSS Toon shader presets are somewhere between 0.50 and 2.00, I know 0.5 value is known to create that glow where surfaces intersect/overlap Its generally not so extreme. But lights without raytraced shadows or no shadows at all will make it glow, no matter how low the shadow scale is. Many people in the past have had the notorious glow on the face around the mouth/jaw, they have this issue because either the inner mouth surfaces share the same groupID as the characters skin or they are rendering: A) Without lights, B) Lights without shadows, C) Lights with Deep shadow maps.

I would make certain all lights are raytraced shadows and shadows are on, and look at the shading scale, see what value it is and perhaps lower it and see if things improve. Just remember when lowering the shading scale on a surface, you need to lower the shading rate accordingly. Realistic characters on the market typically have Shading Scale at 0.50 and Shading Rate of 6.00. Both values are a bit high, however its average settings to get you started, and fitting for the broad market who vary considerably with computer specs.

I do not have AoA's SSS Toon presets, so I am just speaking with what I know about Subsurface Base Shader and realistic characters

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I'll further add that imo the shading rate of 6.00 is excessively high and low in quality. Personally I never go higher than 1.00, above it gives artifacts the further the character is from the camera, it can also result with seams in textures appearing as well, despite textures having allowance for bleed.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Did you tried changing those parts IDs? I tend to do that here and there and it solves the issue.
    Or, could it be you have Ambient SSS Contribution activated? (Not entirely sure if that could cause it, but check it just in case)

The ID's are by materials I believe, and since this is the SkinHand material of a single figure, I don't see how I can change the ID's? Ambient strength is 0, color is black.

I looked at and tested the shader rate and scale, they were 16 and 0.5. I changed to 1 and 0.1 respectively, but I did not see a big change. Also, that did change the tooniness of the skin, imo. I dropped AoA a line to see if he may pop by and have any idea.

Thanks for the ideas though!