Support for 3Delight - Is it Fading? . . . and why?

Comments

• kyoto kid said:

Over the various iterations of Daz Studio, 3DL performance was improved and working with AoA's adanced lights and a few "photographer's tricks" I could get pretty close to realistic looking images.

The AoA's Advanced DAZ Studio Light Bundle is at Fast Grab right now, so anyone into 3Delight should grab it, fast!

Tip: read through AoA's excellent documentation included with their product for some very good advices!

• kyoto kid said:

...are you using the default environment setting in the Iray one?   For 3DL, you need something to reflect for the reflectivity to work.  Either a reflection map (like Poser uses) or better, adding a skydome or HDRI sphere to the scene.

Also check your reflection channel colour, it should be white (255, 255, 255)

Thanks, but tried all that (see thread in Nuts&Bolts, didn't want to repeat it all in here) - I've got a 360-degree skydome for 3DL, it reflects just fine in the mirror if I move the camera, but the balls stay dark, despite having the same settings).

But as I'm playing with it now - flipping the normals with the geometry editor has led to progress (weird, as a default DS sphere primitive was also misbehaving).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    kyoto kid said:

Over the various iterations of Daz Studio, 3DL performance was improved and working with AoA's adanced lights and a few "photographer's tricks" I could get pretty close to realistic looking images.

The AoA's Advanced DAZ Studio Light Bundle is at Fast Grab right now, so anyone into 3Delight should grab it, fast!

Tip: read through AoA's excellent documentation included with their product for some very good advices!

...that is another reason, besides improved render speeds, why I took to using it in lieu of UE. It was extremely easy to learn as his documentation is very concise and to the point.

kyoto kid said:

...are you using the default environment setting in the Iray one?   For 3DL, you need something to reflect for the reflectivity to work.  Either a reflection map (like Poser uses) or better, adding a skydome or HDRI sphere to the scene.

Also check your reflection channel colour, it should be white (255, 255, 255)

Thanks, but tried all that (see thread in Nuts&Bolts, didn't want to repeat it all in here) - I've got a 360-degree skydome for 3DL, it reflects just fine in the mirror if I move the camera, but the balls stay dark, despite having the same settings).

But as I'm playing with it now - flipping the normals with the geometry editor has led to progress (weird, as a default DS sphere primitive was also misbehaving).

..that is odd.

edited December 2017

...OK set up a short test.,   Created a sphere primitive and put it in an enclosed room (the old Stateroom which has 3DL shaders).  Used one AoA Ambient light (at 50%) and one AoA spotlight (100%) set to 360° spread (essentially making it a point light) by the central ceiling lamp.  Shadows were set to 20% softness with shadow colour 34, 34, 34, nd all settings at default. 

I flagged the sphere to not be illuminated by the Ambient light as it was creating a secondary light source in the reflection that didn't look right.  UE would have taken too long to do this test. 

With just a bit of experimentation I approximated a smooth silver surface with the following settings (I have skill in actually creating shaders).

Lighting model Glossy (Plastic)  Using Glossy (Metal) made the sphere turn black during rendering (similar to what you experienced)

Diffuse colour 46, 42, 43
    Glossiness: 75%
    Specular colour 255, 255, 255
    Specular Strength: 100%
    Negative bump -.3
    Positive bump .3
    Reflection Colour: 230, 232, 250
    Reflection Strength: 100%

In Open GL it looked black and featureless

In the rendered image (below) the reflection worked fine as you can see.

Didn't have to flip normals or anything like that.

Apologies, Yeah, I probably should have posted this to the Nuts & Bolts forum but already posted a suggestion here to fix this.

silver ball test.jpg
    900 x 900 - 484K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited December 2017
    kyoto kid said:

this.

kyoto kid said:

...OK set up a short test.,   Created a sphere primitive and put it in an enclosed room (the old Stateroom which has 3DL shaders).  Used one AoA Ambient light (at 50%) and one AoA spotlight (100%) set to 360° spread (essentially making it a point light) by the central ceiling lamp.  Shadows were set to 20% softness with shadow colour 34, 34, 34, nd all settings at default. 

I flagged the sphere to not be illuminated by the Ambient light as it was creating a secondary light source in the reflection that didn't look right.  UE would have taken too long to do this test. 

With just a bit of experimentation I approximated a smooth silver surface with the following settings (I have skill in actually creating shaders).

Lighting model Glossy (Plastic)  Using Glossy (Metal) made the sphere turn black during rendering (similar to what you experienced)

Negative bump -.3
    Positive bump .3

Thanks for that - The glossy-plastic shader setting seems to be the one that did the trick!  All those settings I was fiddling with and it comes down to one button LOL

Post edited by Silent Winter on
  • I know but all these don't really have a big impact on the subject, that is 3DL support from PAs inside DS.

Having these evolutions inside DS will only make happy a few people like you and me.

Ah okay, fair point. The discussion has moved far enough from the PA support, I wasn't really thinking about that anymore LOL

I don't dismiss MDL. ... [it's] limited if you begin to try to get some specific thing you could easily do with RSL

Do you have any examples of this BTW?

No I talk about math. Physically correct = Energy conservation + fresnel driven specular. With DS shaders (uber and default) , you can do energy conservation by hand but that could have been done easily in the code. Same for fresnel and other thing.

Just  trying to fight the myth that PBR is some new tech discovered in the few last years and that it can't be achieved in older renderer

Well, some myths cannot be dispelled sadly =(

But energy conservation by hand? Yeah we can use proper reflectance, but if a compiled shader just does diffuse() + specular() + subsurface(), there's no way the user can change it to be energy-conserving. Same for Fresnel, either the code accounts for it or not.

UberSurface is pretty much oldschool additive, same as AFAIK each and every vanilla shader and AoA Subsurface.

Not to say you cannot approximate a photoreal look with that tech - you can and it's been done for decades in VFX. But there is, as people say, a steep learning curve for that stuff.

To be honest, the way DS defaults seem to encourage the userbase to use Iray - dialing sunsky intensity down to 10% and leaving all the reflectance multipliers at 1 to match some exposure value instead of calibrating at full sunsky and Sunny 16, remembering that 0.7 is a damn high reflectance already - isn't exactly conducive to proper PBS either. I'm actually amazed that there are people who manage to create impressive renders with this sort of starting point.

• Thanks for any help :)

Hi,

Sorry for critiquing an "unsolicited" aspect of that promo, but it seems there is no shadows on the 3Delight side and no AO. Is that intentional?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2017

kyoto kid said:

Two years old doesn't matter. Most development for that time went to the OSL. You don't miss a lot of thing. Thats not as if anything revolutionnary has been made.

There hasn't been a revolution in CG for quite a while. But the evolution is palpable. Small things that matter. Subsurface sampling, general sampling, all that making-life-easier progress.

Oh yeah BTW, the latest builds have fixed the major slowdown with UE2 bounce light that occurred somewhere between 11 and 12, which Parris apparently managed to report.

3DL is a full featured production render with programmable shader. Iray shader programming is very limited

MDL is pretty powerful actually. You shouldn't be that dismissive, really.

What Iray is currently sorely missing is a curve primitive (like for LAMH hair).

Neither does it have a dedicated outliner ("inker"). But apparently some folks managed to do NPR without it.

Not if you think in term of exports. What is more standard ? Obj/FBX with equivalent channel or Uber/whatever ?

And what about products that are designed with these shaders? Are you also going to abolish them too ?

Deleting these shaders will prevent from loading and rendering products using these shaders. Leaving them doesn't harm

Dude! Chill, I beg you! It´s me, Kettu, and my sense of humour. *rolls eyes*

However, vendors should not be encouraged to use DS Default for their 3Delight mats. UberSurface will look miles better if only because its grazing highlights are prettier. And it pwns AoA Subsurface in terms of performance because it does not have this shader mixer bug when it assigns shader hitmode to the surface even when there is no opacity map.

Speaking of standards - it´s 2017. The standard for texturing is PBS. Your renderers may vary.

99% of 3delight features are acessible. ex Ubersurface has all these features.

Dude, you're messing with lurkers' minds here. The features we were talking about are new physically plausible shading models - not in UberSurface because of age; and fine control over RiOptions and RiAttributes. Of which UberSurface cannot do RiOptions because in DS only "scripted renderer" can set RiOptions, and of RiAttributes it only does visibility.

ebergerly said:

So you guys would rather have a bunch of different shader systems and renderers so you run into issues like the one that brought up this thread in the first place? 

And it seems like the market has agreed that 3DL isn't preferable, in favor if Iray. So at least that worked.  smiley

Yes, I want options. I don't want someone developing a shader to have to make it the exact same as every other shader. Rigid adherence to the status quo is really bad for innovation. Think where we'd be if DAZ still used cr2s because that's what everyone used, and changing it would break things.

..indeed.  Look what happened when MS tried apply a "one size fits all devices" philosophy to an OS.

...we got Windows 8.0.

I liked 8.0.

I wasn't a fan of 8.1, the changes were annoying; I don't like w10 particularly. I'd prefer a combination of 7 and 8. No 10 is most definitely not that.

I like change, I like options, sadly, I don't always like what the change engenders, but that same change will eventually bring along something I like as much or more, whilst giving me access to new 'stuff'.

Completely back on topic:

A one size fits all shader system would never work, and would pretty quickly sprout off-shoots as folks tweaked it to suite their own requirements.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2017
    nicstt said:

A one size fits all shader system would never work, and would pretty quickly sprout off-shoots as folks tweaked it to suite their own requirements.

Like I said, there are a total of 78 individual surface settings in the D|S Iray shader system. I can't imagine that's not enough of an "all-in-one" to cover just about all of our needs, and accurately describe the VAST majority of surfaces we'd want to model. Heck, I have trouble even understanding more than maybe 10 of those settings, much less being an expert in how to apply them. Though maybe some of us really need another 20 settings to get that last 1.5% accuracy  smiley

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • nicstt said:

kyoto kid said:

Two years old doesn't matter. Most development for that time went to the OSL. You don't miss a lot of thing. Thats not as if anything revolutionnary has been made.

There hasn't been a revolution in CG for quite a while. But the evolution is palpable. Small things that matter. Subsurface sampling, general sampling, all that making-life-easier progress.

Oh yeah BTW, the latest builds have fixed the major slowdown with UE2 bounce light that occurred somewhere between 11 and 12, which Parris apparently managed to report.

3DL is a full featured production render with programmable shader. Iray shader programming is very limited

MDL is pretty powerful actually. You shouldn't be that dismissive, really.

What Iray is currently sorely missing is a curve primitive (like for LAMH hair).

Neither does it have a dedicated outliner ("inker"). But apparently some folks managed to do NPR without it.

Not if you think in term of exports. What is more standard ? Obj/FBX with equivalent channel or Uber/whatever ?

And what about products that are designed with these shaders? Are you also going to abolish them too ?

Deleting these shaders will prevent from loading and rendering products using these shaders. Leaving them doesn't harm

Dude! Chill, I beg you! It´s me, Kettu, and my sense of humour. *rolls eyes*

However, vendors should not be encouraged to use DS Default for their 3Delight mats. UberSurface will look miles better if only because its grazing highlights are prettier. And it pwns AoA Subsurface in terms of performance because it does not have this shader mixer bug when it assigns shader hitmode to the surface even when there is no opacity map.

Speaking of standards - it´s 2017. The standard for texturing is PBS. Your renderers may vary.

99% of 3delight features are acessible. ex Ubersurface has all these features.

Dude, you're messing with lurkers' minds here. The features we were talking about are new physically plausible shading models - not in UberSurface because of age; and fine control over RiOptions and RiAttributes. Of which UberSurface cannot do RiOptions because in DS only "scripted renderer" can set RiOptions, and of RiAttributes it only does visibility.

ebergerly said:

So you guys would rather have a bunch of different shader systems and renderers so you run into issues like the one that brought up this thread in the first place? 

And it seems like the market has agreed that 3DL isn't preferable, in favor if Iray. So at least that worked.  smiley

Yes, I want options. I don't want someone developing a shader to have to make it the exact same as every other shader. Rigid adherence to the status quo is really bad for innovation. Think where we'd be if DAZ still used cr2s because that's what everyone used, and changing it would break things.

..indeed.  Look what happened when MS tried apply a "one size fits all devices" philosophy to an OS.

...we got Windows 8.0.

I liked 8.0.

I wasn't a fan of 8.1, the changes were annoying; I don't like w10 particularly. I'd prefer a combination of 7 and 8. No 10 is most definitely not that.

Nope; was not a fan of Windows 8 on a desktop/laptop. Now, put that on a two in one laptop/tablet setup, I wouldn't mind so much, or on a smartphone.

nicstt said:

I like change, I like options, sadly, I don't always like what the change engenders, but that same change will eventually bring along something I like as much or more, whilst giving me access to new 'stuff'.

Agreed.

nicstt said:

Completely back on topic:

Right.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Straying OT, but that is good timing.

Paid close to full price for it a week ago. 

"Aw man!  Charlie Brown Christmas.  I been had!"

Good product & docs regardless the price  : )

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Tynkere said:

Straying OT, but that is good timing.

Paid close to full price for it a week ago. 

"Aw man!  Charlie Brown Christmas.  I been had!"

Good product & docs regardless the price  : )

Contact sales support! Worth a try;)

kyoto kid said:

this.

kyoto kid said:

Negative bump -.3
    Positive bump .3

Thanks for that - The glossy-plastic shader setting seems to be the one that did the trick!  All those settings I was fiddling with and it comes down to one button LOL

..glad that helped. Yeah a lot of times it's always soemthing small that thwarts one's plans.

Hi,

Sorry for critiquing an "unsolicited" aspect of that promo, but it seems there is no shadows on the 3Delight side and no AO. Is that intentional?

That's okay, I'm always happy to receive constructive critique - but it's not a promo ;)

It was a quick render to test the mirror settings - iray does the shadows automatically, 3DL needs them set up.  The freebie thread (link in sig) has a slightly better version with the shadows on - though I'm a bit out of practise and behind on the latest 3DL developments.

• ebergerly said:
    nicstt said:

Like I said, there are a total of 78 individual surface settings in the D|S Iray shader system. I can't imagine that's not enough of an "all-in-one" to cover just about all of our needs, and accurately describe the VAST majority of surfaces we'd want to model. Heck, I have trouble even understanding more than maybe 10 of those settings, much less being an expert in how to apply them. Though maybe some of us really need another 20 settings to get that last 1.5% accuracy  smiley

Not everyone wants to do photo-realistic renders, nor do a lot of folks have the funds needed to upgrade to, or a desire to buy another, computer that supports Iray. And as has been stated by a number of folks, much of what Iray does can be duplicated in 3Delight, plus folks that use Reality/LuxRender can simply convert existing 3Delight shaders to work for PBR rendering. Other folks use Octane, and are comfortable with creating their own shader settings for that renderer.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2017

BTW- The Lantios IBLs work very well in Iray once enlarged a bit and converted to HDR (32 bit). What this about a new extension for 3DL? I'll have to look into that!  

Edit/Add: I've been through a few posts and cannot find info about the new 3DL extension. Could you post a link here or send a PM?

I still mostly use Iray except when I want to use a 3DL sky or shader. (The Lantios content that was free a couple months ago is AMAZING.)

I'm glad a new 3DL extension is coming. Yay for people who love 3DL!

Post edited by Marshian on
    edited December 2017
    Marshian said:

BTW- The Lantios IBLs work very well in Iray once enlarged a bit and converted to HDR (32 bit). What this about a new extension for 3DL? I'll have to look into that!  

Edit/Add: I've been through a few posts and cannot find info about the new 3DL extension. Could you post a link here or send a PM?

I still mostly use Iray except when I want to use a 3DL sky or shader. (The Lantios content that was free a couple months ago is AMAZING.)

I'm glad a new 3DL extension is coming. Yay for people who love 3DL!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/215066/ibl-master-image-based-lighting-control-for-both-renderers-a-new-ibl-for-3delight-commercial/p1

Wowie talking about his WIP shader on this page

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55128/3delight-laboratory-thread-tips-questions-experiments/p78

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    ebergerly said:
    nicstt said:

Not everyone wants to do photo-realistic renders, nor do a lot of folks have the funds needed to upgrade to, or a desire to buy another, computer that supports Iray. And as has been stated by a number of folks, much of what Iray does can be duplicated in 3Delight, plus folks that use Reality/LuxRender can simply convert existing 3Delight shaders to work for PBR rendering. Other folks use Octane, and are comfortable with creating their own shader settings for that renderer.

...yesyes

...the tests I did to help Silent Winnter took less than one minute to complete in 3DL. 

kyoto kid said:

...the tests I did to help Silent Winnter took less than one minute to complete in 3DL. 

Hi kyoto, I'm a bit confused about why I don't get the same results as you and Silent winter. So did a new test which can be seen here:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/219901/mirrored-sphere-in-3dl#latest

Any idea what's going on?

edited December 2017

...my test used a fully closed interior set to get 360° of reflection.  Not sure why the Glossy Metallic setting worked for you but not us. I also had to flag the sphere to not be illuminated by the ambient light as it added an odd refection in the middle of the sphere.  I also used raytraced shadows.with a ray depth of 4 because the spotlight was in a glass light globe.

Moving this discussion over to the thread in your link.

Hi,

That's okay, I'm always happy to receive constructive critique - but it's not a promo ;)

It was a quick render to test the mirror settings - iray does the shadows automatically, 3DL needs them set up.  The freebie thread (link in sig) has a slightly better version with the shadows on - though I'm a bit out of practise and behind on the latest 3DL developments.

Ah okay. That was the headlamp then. The evil headlamp.

In terms of DS/3Delight, there have been no developments for quite a while, so you probably didn't miss out on anything.

• Marshian said:

BTW- The Lantios IBLs work very well in Iray once enlarged a bit and converted to HDR (32 bit).

Sorry, but... the point? You're just increasing the file size; missing dynamic range information isn't going to get reconstructed out of nowhere.

•  

I don't dismiss MDL. ... [it's] limited if you begin to try to get some specific thing you could easily do with RSL

If you had a look at MDL you mostly manipulate preprogrammed blocks. You don't write anything from scratch.

With 3DL you have total freedom. with MDL you're very bound to what was put inside. Everything you use is submitted to Physically Correct/Plausible which can be a great pain if that's not what you want

Think about the Ambient in RSL. That is already something that breaks physical laws.

Quick example of difficult to to shader in MDL but ultra easy in RSL would be a Ghost or X-Ray shader.

But energy conservation by hand? Yeah we can use proper reflectance, but if a compiled shader just does diffuse() + specular() + subsurface(), there's no way the user can change it to be

energy-conserving. Same for Fresnel, either the code accounts for it or not.

That was aproximately what Wowie was doing with his presets if I'm not mistaken. Not easy and painfull I agree

UberSurface is pretty much oldschool additive, same as AFAIK each and every vanilla shader and AoA Subsurface.

Not to say you cannot approximate a photoreal look with that tech - you can and it's been done for decades in VFX. But there is, as people say, a steep learning curve for that stuff.

To be honest, the way DS defaults seem to encourage the userbase to use Iray - dialing sunsky intensity down to 10% and leaving all the reflectance multipliers at 1 to match some exposure value instead of calibrating at full sunsky and Sunny 16, remembering that 0.7 is a damn high reflectance already - isn't exactly conducive to proper PBS either. I'm actually amazed that there are people who manage to create impressive renders with this sort of starting point.

The Question is wether the actual default settings should be changed. Time has passed and some base settings could be changed but I'm not sure it would be a good thing here. That is not a bad thing that you have (for example) to activate Gamma correction. People who know what it is and want to use it will activate it. Others who don't, may ask questions and learn something

edited December 2017

...moved to the other 3DL thread.

•  

If you had a look at MDL you mostly manipulate preprogrammed blocks. You don't write anything from scratch.

With 3DL you have total freedom. with MDL you're very bound to what was put inside. Everything you use is submitted to Physically Correct/Plausible which can be a great pain if that's not what you want

Think about the Ambient in RSL. That is already something that breaks physical laws.

Quick example of difficult to to shader in MDL but ultra easy in RSL would be a Ghost or X-Ray shader.

I guess you're right about ghost shaders. I'd say the reason for this is that we have two different CG domains that only have started to overlap recently: archviz and VFX. MDL is very much an archviz thing; RSL was born in the VFX industry. For archviz situations, MDL pretty much covers it all.

RSL is the past; OSL is the future, anyway =) As of now.

The Question is wether the actual default settings should be changed. Time has passed and some base settings could be changed but I'm not sure it would be a good thing here. That is not a bad thing that you have (for example) to activate Gamma correction. People who know what it is and want to use it will activate it. Others who don't, may ask questions and learn something

I just wish this information would be more public - gamma correction included. More "official" on the DAZ part. A lot of users just trust the defaults thinking they are the best values "because the company who makes this app knows better". We had to wait until Parris started pushing linear workflow - and even now I'm sure there are people rendering in 3Delight but disregarding gamma correction because they never went to read the forums.

I don't follow Iray threads, but judging by what I see discussed on deviantArt, most users have no idea what reflectance is and why it cannot be RGB255 in a photorealistic scenario; they have no idea proper reflectance will improve their noise issues; they don't know how to use the tonemapper; they know very very little. And they teach each other because there is no Official DAZ Studio College with a well-developed step-by-step program.

This is very sad IMO.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Many of the ones that have stopped supporting 3Delight have said the sales need to be higher to offset the time it takes to make two sets of materials and fully test them. Other PAs didn't start making content until after Iray and have never included 3Delight support.

Truly.  It actually took me longer to develop 3Delight settings for my first character sets for Dusk and Dawn (Tommy and Tina).  I was immediately happy with my results using iRAY with some small barriers for the eye gleams and lip glosses but quickly got those set up after some research and tests.  Getting similar results for skin, nails and eyes in 3Delight is NOT THAT EASY and I started out with DAZ Studio when it was in beta and using 3Delight as it's main rendering engine.  I'll continue to support 3Delight but it is allot more work to create settings that resemble iRAY settings. 

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    edited December 2017

I think a common misconception, when we do the Iray vs 3delight thing here in the forums, is that we mistake a render engine's capabilities with it's implementation, and more importantly light and surface shaders that are available for said engine. In my observation, the Iray Uber shader is a state of the art master work by a professionally trained programmer (or programmers) who had access to undocumented inner workings. In contrast, the 3DL light and surface shaders most commonly used by most PAs and users, while masterful for their time, are largely the result of partially blind testing and educated guesses.

The default 3DL shader offered by Daz is a solid all purpose offering. But I think it was made with the intention that Shader Builder and Shader Mixer would inspire creation of more advanced shaders.

Most PAs already have enough on their plates without having to write their own shaders. Given 3delight's current support of physically based, I would speculate that shaders on par with Iray Uber would prove to be similarly easy to implement if we had them.

This may be over simplifying to some degree, but in general the 3 main ingredients to matching the realism you see in an engine such as Iray are Linear Worlflow (Gamma correction which Iray does by default), Global Illumination (IBL as an example), and physically based surface shaders. At this point (or shortly) we are two thirds of the way there with 3delight in Daz Studio.

A reminder about GC:

Gamma Correction settings for 3delight in Daz Studio

Post edited by Chohole on
  • More than lilkely your textures that didn't look right were not made properly with a linear workflow using a gamma of 2.2