Let’s Make Clothing! Tutorial thread. Shoes too!

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    edited December 1969

OK, I've done a run-through of the majority of my Genesis shapes, and, while I'm not getting any clipping from loading them, I do get waves and wrinkles in the cloak's mesh on a good number of them—the more extreme the shape, the worse the wrinkling (Gorilla, Troll, and Heavy, being the worst offenders). Not sure if a simple smoothing modifier will suffice or if full FBMs are needed. The idea of trying to make them, and "manually smoothing out" a thickened mesh in Hexagon, is not something I look forward to. Even then, I'd only be able to make FBMs for the shapes I have, if I could make them at all (once again, not something I really know how to do).

edited December 1969

Here's a screen cap of the cloak, worn by the guy it was designed for:

Cloak-25.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 199K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited March 2013

I'm not convinced having any part of it actually follow Genesis other than the base hip/pelvis parenting and maybe the chest is a good idea with a rig like this. But then, my tendency is to err on the side of requiring more user work rather than making some functionality automatic at the cost of other functions working at all.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry. I was replying to the earlier post and missed the intervening ones.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited March 2013

I'm not convinced having any part of it actually follow Genesis other than the base hip/pelvis parenting and maybe the chest is a good idea with a rig like this. But then, my tendency is to err on the side of requiring more user work rather than making some functionality automatic at the cost of other functions working at all.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry. I was replying to the earlier post and missed the intervening ones.

That is one option. All it would take is changing the name of the Shoulder bones to "rEdge/lEdge". I figured though, that this rig already requires a lot of "user work" to pose as it is. I would like to make it as "user-friendly" as possible. The real beauty of this rig, though, is even though the "edge" strings are built upon the right and left shoulder bones, they can still move semi-independently of the shoulders as well because of the way I placed them. They don't come off the end of the shoulder bones, but, rather, up near the middle/top.
    Cloak-26.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 193K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151
    edited December 1969

Morphs or movements are very fluid and smooth. Nice nice work there! I was thinking of making a cape for my simple suit Super Set I'm getting close to finishing up but not sure if making morphs or trying my hand at rigging is the way to go. Be nice (and probably mind numbing) to learn to rig once and for all! :P

edited March 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Morphs or movements are very fluid and smooth. Nice nice work there! I was thinking of making a cape for my simple suit Super Set I'm getting close to finishing up but not sure if making morphs or trying my hand at rigging is the way to go. Be nice (and probably mind numbing) to learn to rig once and for all! :P
    This one is done all through rigging, no morphs at all, since I really don't know how to make morphs anyway. Doing it through rigging definitely gives a much greater range of motion and variety of movements. It's just a lot of work and requires a lot of bones. Here's another posed shot.
    Cloak-27.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 185K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151
    edited December 1969

Looks really good. Got concerned for the project a few pages back with the rigging issue. Glad you kept with it as it really paid off and SY and Patience have been so encouraging and helpful along the way for you (and me too). :-)

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Looks really good. Got concerned for the project a few pages back with the rigging issue. Glad you kept with it as it really paid off and SY and Patience have been so encouraging and helpful along the way for you (and me too). :-)
    Well, I basically started over with a new mesh. The "full circle" route simply didn't work with a "T"-pose. The new mesh uses a bit more than a half-circle shape to start with a much more complex rigging, though using the same number of bones I initially started with on my first attempt.
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited March 2013

That's quite the cape ... and the mind wanders ... wonder what he'll do next lol ...

One can add morphs to a clothing item basically the same way one would add morphs to Genesis.

Oh and somebody's been busy :-)

Great set of instructions here for Creating muliple UV's for one morphing object.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

That's quite the cape ... and the mind wanders ... wonder what he'll do next lol ...

One can add morphs to a clothing item basically the same way one would add morphs to Genesis.

"adding" morphs isn't the problem. It's actually making them that I have problems with. The actual process of reshaping the mesh, especially a thickened mesh, without destroying it. This is why I have yet to make a "hood down" morph for my hooded Kataginu yet, or an "open" morph for my Night Warrior jacket.
    edited December 1969

"adding" morphs isn't the problem. It's actually making them that I have problems with. The actual process of reshaping the mesh, especially a thickened mesh, without destroying it. This is why I have yet to make a "hood down" morph for my hooded Kataginu yet, or an "open" morph for my Night Warrior jacket.

I agree, esp. with this latest Hexagon! Sometimes, not always just clicking on the "smooth" button causes a crash :-(

Oh and today's dilly confirmation ... NEVER click the "close holes" button just to double check that there are no holes AFTER having done the shading domains. Total sd wipe-out. :-(

After using the 'twister' button, look for open seams :-(

Delightful.

If you have the option, there is a way to trick Hexagon into sending stuff back to D/S to make a morph ... having used another program to actually do the work.

1. From D/S send to Hexagon.
    2. "as is" export that out making 'no' changes .... import into another program [I have the more stable older version of Hexie on another computer] ... then export out the morphed mesh.
    3. Import into the new Hexagon the morphed mesh.
    4. Delete the original mesh out of Hexagon.
    5. Select and send the morphed mesh back to D/S.
    6. And if one has "crossed their Ts and dotted their eyes ... there should be the option to create the morph.

edited December 1969

I agree, esp. with this latest Hexagon! Sometimes, not always just clicking on the "smooth" button causes a crash :-(

Oh and today's dilly confirmation ... NEVER click the "close holes" button just to double check that there are no holes AFTER having done the shading domains. Total sd wipe-out. :-(

After using the 'twister' button, look for open seams :-(

Delightful.

If you have the option, there is a way to trick Hexagon into sending stuff back to D/S to make a morph ... having used another program to actually do the work.

1. From D/S send to Hexagon.
    2. "as is" export that out making 'no' changes .... import into another program [I have the more stable older version of Hexie on another computer] ... then export out the morphed mesh.
    3. Import into the new Hexagon the morphed mesh.
    4. Delete the original mesh out of Hexagon.
    5. Select and send the morphed mesh back to D/S.
    6. And if one has "crossed their Ts and dotted their eyes ... there should be the option to create the morph.
    Like I said though, it's not an issue with Hexagon, but rather not wanting to screw up the actual mesh trying to "reshape" it to suit the morph. The only morph I've made was a claw extend/retract morph to move a set of blades forwards and back within their sheath for an Armored battle clove. It didn't require me to reshape any mesh to accomplish.

edited December 1969

Morphs come in handy if one requires a sitting position for say, a long skirt. Things like that. Perhaps a hunched back? Or for a hidden package? Things that general posing don't usually cover.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Morphs come in handy if one requires a sitting position for say, a long skirt. Things like that. Perhaps a hunched back? Or for a hidden package? Things that general posing don't usually cover.

Realistic cloth movement is hard to achieve using just boning (though good grief, if any rig had enough bones for that it should be this one). That's why you occasionally see something like the DAZ Peasant Dress whose skirt movement is achieved entirely through morphing.

edited December 1969

Realistic cloth movement is hard to achieve using just boning (though good grief, if any rig had enough bones for that it should be this one). That's why you occasionally see something like the DAZ Peasant Dress whose skirt movement is achieved entirely through morphing.

I remember a hair figure of bones, that had LOTS of bones, was given away free sometime ago. One of its drawbacks at the time, and I think why it was given free, was that it was too "heavy" for many systems and would crash the program. i could use it IF i loaded it last and just rendered. Touch anything else and 'poof'. So while bones are nice, too many can be problematic for sure.
    And then from somewhere I got this tremendously huge Octopus! Crash city big time ... bones, bones, and more bones.

I realized one of my computers didn't have 4.anything on board ... so now have 4.5 on a proper computer ... and 4.0 gets to stay on its computer! Can't render much with 4.5 on that computer but can certainly make some clothing :-)

edited December 1969

I remember a hair figure of bones, that had LOTS of bones, was given away free sometime ago. One of its drawbacks at the time, and I think why it was given free, was that it was too "heavy" for many systems and would crash the program. i could use it IF i loaded it last and just rendered. Touch anything else and 'poof'. So while bones are nice, too many can be problematic for sure.
    And then from somewhere I got this tremendously huge Octopus! Crash city big time ... bones, bones, and more bones.

I realized one of my computers didn't have 4.anything on board ... so now have 4.5 on a proper computer ... and 4.0 gets to stay on its computer! Can't render much with 4.5 on that computer but can certainly make some clothing :-) Unfortunately, you won't be able to use that clothing on your other computer in 4.0.

edited December 1969

... edit ...

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use that clothing on your other computer in 4.0.

Yeah I know. However, if I can't get the bones right in 4.0, not losing anything either. I don't have this problem with all items, just the full upper body transfers. With another project what I've been doing is seeing how it's done in 4.5, then trying to copy it over to 4.0. One of those projects one works on during "rainy days" when there's nothing else to do.

edited December 1969

... edit ...

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use that clothing on your other computer in 4.0.

Yeah I know. However, if I can't get the bones right in 4.0, not losing anything either. I don't have this problem with all items, just the full upper body transfers. With another project what I've been doing is seeing how it's done in 4.5, then trying to copy it over to 4.0. One of those projects one works on during "rainy days" when there's nothing else to do.

I had no such problems when I ran the Transfer Utility on mine, even the Full circle version. The only issue I had was with a later reload of the DSF, some of the bones "mysteriously" moved and got renamed creating two "copies" of the same bone one on top of the other), and had to be reset, then I had to make adjustments to the mesh on the lapels, so I had to do a transfer from that "fixed" rig to the new adjusted mesh, and this did cause a couple of bones to disappear, Even then, it was not that hard to add the missing bones back in manually, and I haven't had that problem since. However, simply doing a Transfer from the Genesis figure to a new mesh has never given me a problem.

edited December 1969

This is an example of a very basic short skirt for Genesis, created in D/S4.0 using the transfer utility from Genesis to clothing item. No templates. Smoothing on.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68354/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Basic-Skirt-for-Genesis-4.0

edited December 1969

And here's a little top to go with the skirt.

Now this time the basic rigging transfer in 4.0 from Genesis to top, worked just fine.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68371/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Short-Sleeved_T-shirt-for-Genesis

So far, it appears to be the top clothing items which may require a hand bone or more that baffles the transfer system.

edited December 1969

And here's a little top to go with the skirt.

Now this time the basic rigging transfer in 4.0 from Genesis to top, worked just fine.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68371/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Short-Sleeved_T-shirt-for-Genesis

So far, it appears to be the top clothing items which may require a hand bone or more that baffles the transfer system.

I don't know. I've never had that issue, even with my Battle Glove, which was rigged to the right hand and forearm of Genesis. And even when I did the initial transfers for all of the iterations of my Cloak, I had no trouble with the transfer from Genesis.
    edited December 1969

Well everytime I've tried a full arm length cloak ... or a long sleeved shirt type outfit, I get half a body's worth of bones :-S

Have read some old posts indicating others have had some problems also with the transfer of Genesis' bones in 4.0 so certainly if one is having such problems the fix is to update to 4.5.

I don't recall having this problem using Bobby's rigging system though.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I don't have any problems rigging clothing in DS4. All bones are there on both sides.

edited December 1969

Select .obj in scene file

Transfer utility

From Genesis

To selected .obj

no templates

smoothing added

fit to source figure

Is this the pathway you use?

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Exactly the same as I do it everytime. Very rare that I use templates.

edited March 2013

Sigh. Wonder why it does this for some and not others?

I also have D/S3 installed but that shouldn't be affecting it.
    CMS is running.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

I don't use any templates either. One thing I do use though, is "Content Type" under the "Show Options" menu; in the case of my Cloak, I used Follower>Wardrobe>Outerwear.

edited December 1969

Yes, I forgot that one on the list. I was using "Follower".

Next time I'm working with it for clothing I'll have to try a few different options and see what happens.

edited December 1969

I don't use any templates either. One thing I do use though, is "Content Type" under the "Show Options" menu; in the case of my Cloak, I used Follower>Wardrobe>Outerwear.

Well, when I had saved the first items, I was sure I had 'follower' ... however tonight in trying all this again. I realized that when first creating the clothing item [not saving it yet, just creating it], there is also the choice to select the content type. So, remembering your choice here, I tried that and YES!!! It works! :-)

Thank you.
    Can't post the picture 'cause the intentional holes in the coat are apparently in the wrong places, but that's my modeling hehehe ... one day will get this all right, yes.

edited December 1969

Well, when I had saved the first items, I was sure I had 'follower' ... however tonight in trying all this again. I realized that when first creating the clothing item [not saving it yet, just creating it], there is also the choice to select the content type. So, remembering your choice here, I tried that and YES!!! It works! :-)

Thank you.
    Can't post the picture 'cause the intentional holes in the coat are apparently in the wrong places, but that's my modeling hehehe ... one day will get this all right, yes.Yeah, you definitely have to choose the right content type, be it an attachment, an accessory, or a given type of wardrobe item (gloves, shoes, skirt, pants, outerwear, underwear, etc.). It's not the same as using a specific template, thankfully, but it does appear necessary to provide the base rigging parameters for the Transfer Utility to determine which bones will be needed for the "figure" in question.

This discussion has been closed.