Let’s Make Clothing! Tutorial thread. Shoes too!

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Absolutely. I'm glad you like the rig. It pretty much moves the way I hoped it would, and I put strict limits on it, 30 degrees on either side of zero, ten for twist. It's also very low poly. Now, I'm still getting the hang of how to do SDS in DS out of Hex (they do it VERY differently, DAZ does has real catmull clark subdiv, and HEX does it... well, like Hex... so modelling in HEX for DS is unpredictable... which is why the lumpiness in the skirt looks lumpy and not drapey... :(

But I did what I could with my developing skillset...

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thank you.

Here they are. I have noticed the bones are not "end to end" which I thought they had to be but these appear to be working just fine.

1002.png
    425 x 562 - 103K
    1001.png
    1032 x 596 - 201K
    edited December 1969

I got the idea from the JYou44's rig. The way TriAx weight mapping works, however, made duplication of that rig impossible. But what I came up with was this rig:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67408/view/21/DAZ-Studio/New-Dress-Rig (READ THE README BEFORE INSTALING!!!)

That was as close as I could get to JYOu's. The one for the Belle Gown is an outgrowth of what I learned doing that rig.

edited December 1969

Not for purposes of redistribution, but to get a rig from one clothing piece to another one can use the transfer utility tool.

That's what makes this item popular esp for beginners as this rig is redistributable.
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-basic-clothing-rig-kit
    Includes .pdf to explain further how/what to do as well.
    I think this was the first published tutorial on the topic so it was done in the days of 4.0 and certain files were later included or updated so it will work in 4.5.

edited December 1969

The rig can be re-distributed all you want. The dress cannot.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    The rig can be re-distributed all you want. The dress cannot.

Thank you. Hopefully your resource rig will also help people get started.

edited March 2013

That permission has been in the original readme since I posted it. I threw it into the public domain immediately. I'm talking about the one that I used Wilmaps dress on, not the new one. The new one is specific to these geometries. They're an example for how to rig to geometry, but will not work on just any dress.

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    That permission has been in the original readme since I posted it. I threw it into the public domain immediately. I'm talking about the one that I used Wilmaps dress on, not the new one. The new one is specific to these geometries. They're an example for how to rig to geometry, but will not work on just any dress.

Yes good to clarify that. Not to take the rigging from Belle's dress lol ... that's very item specific.

Actually I posted link to your resource rig ... back on page 26 up at the top somewhere.

For my first major "let's learn how to rig" project ... well, I'm working on a horse. The millennial cow may be released before I ever get this finished ... but I want to learn how to rig a 4 legged critter as eventually I'm hoping to make my own English Bullldog seeing as all my not-so subtle hints have apparently fallen on deaf ears. At the rate I'm going ... we could be half way through the millennial reign before that gets finished.

However in buying some of the horse poses in the store I noticed references to 6 and 8 legged horses and 2 headed horses ...
    Can you imagine trying to shoe an 8 legged horse?
    However if they do come out ... horse blankets count as clothing ... and I want to see renders lol ...

edited December 1969

However in buying some of the horse poses in the store I noticed references to 6 and 8 legged horses and 2 headed horses ...
    However if they do come out ... horse blankets count as clothing ... and I want to see renders lol ...

I'd charge a WHOLE LOT of money for that job!

edited December 1969

wancow said:

I'd charge a WHOLE LOT of money for that job!

Ah, but where would the thrill of having done the job, just to have the experience for the sake of, go?

Was just reading [I'm sure you want to know this] that anybody can remote view. And that there's this hidden secret society of people that live underground in Mexico ... no white people allowed period ... so we can't go visiting in the normal way.
    They have somekind of chemical formula to make lights for use underground ... have had this technology for thousands of years.
    News only arrived in my in-basket today.
    Okay ...
    So let's find out what these people are wearing and make some clothes for Genesis lol ....
    We'll need skins too ... no white ones ... Mexican colour I guess ...

Remote viewing is not the vivid sharp images that come to some people's minds ... but the hazy ones that can barely be discerned ... oh man this internet is fun lol ...

If my coupon for the store was working, I'd had been shopping ... sigh ...
    If anybody remote views and can provide clothing ideas etc but doesn't want to go public, feel free to PM me ;-)
    We could start a new clothing trend!!!

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    edited December 1969

Well, I have a few new WIP pics. I made a new mesh, using a "half circle" configuration (actually a little more than half) and it does fix some of the problems I was having with the full circle. The new rig has five sets of bones plus a pair of bones for posing the lapels. I'm still having clipping issues though, particularly when the arms are posed in the down at the sides position (especially if all you do is pose the Genesis figure). With careful posing of the various folds and edges, though, it is possible to minimize the visibility of such issues, and get rid of some of them entirely.

I think part of the issue, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is, while the mesh seems to stretch easily enough, it doesn't like to be compressed. I'm not sure if that's because of the way the weight maps are set up or just an inherent issue with 3D meshes. I've noticed with skirts, the mesh typically starts in it's most compressed state. Obviously, with a cloak, that's not an option.

Cloak-19.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 209K
    Cloak-18.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 197K
    Cloak-17.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 207K
    Cloak-16.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 231K
    Cloak-15.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 176K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Well, I have a few new WIP pics. I made a new mesh, using a "half circle" configuration (actually a little more than half) and it does fix some of the problems I was having with the full circle. The new rig has five sets of bones plus a pair of bones for posing the lapels. I'm still having clipping issues though, particularly when the arms are posed in the down at the sides position (especially if all you do is pose the Genesis figure). With careful posing of the various folds and edges, though, it is possible to minimize the visibility of such issues, and get rid of some of them entirely.

I think part of the issue, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is, while the mesh seems to stretch easily enough, it doesn't like to be compressed. I'm not sure if that's because of the way the weight maps are set up or just an inherent issue with 3D meshes. I've noticed with skirts, the mesh typically starts in it's most compressed state. Obviously, with a cloak, that's not an option.

That's been my experience, yes. I've really had to use morphs if I wanted a mesh compressed.

edited December 1969

The thing is material does not compress. Material folds. It may stretch a little but not much... give me a little time and I'll try out an idea and post it... a few days, and see what you guys think

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    The thing is material does not compress. Material folds. It may stretch a little but not much... give me a little time and I'll try out an idea and post it... a few days, and see what you guys think
    Yeah, but that's part of the problem I'm having, only the inward folds are bending. The outward folds (which is what the bones are rigged to) don't collapse side-to-side like they should when the arms are lowered.
    edited December 1969

Have you thought about trying to rig the folds themselves so you can control them, in and out?

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Have you thought about trying to rig the folds themselves so you can control them, in and out?
    I thought about it earlier today , but thought it might be too many bones. I'd require two strings for each fold, and I'm not sure how I'd get each pair to work in unison or with the other pairs.
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I thought about it earlier today , but thought it might be too many bones. I'd require two strings for each fold, and I'm not sure how I'd get each pair to work in unison or with the other pairs.

Pose Controls.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    wancow said:

Pose Controls.Yeah. I don't know how to make those yet. The big issue, though, is that the current rig uses the shoulder bones so the cloak's edges move with the upper arms, but the folds along the back don't. They have to be posed separately. Thus, not only would I need to know how to make pose controls, I'd need ones that activate automatically when the base figure is posed. And, like I said, I don't know how to do that. :red:

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    wancow said:

Pose Controls.Yeah. I don't know how to make those yet. The big issue, though, is that the current rig uses the shoulder bones so the cloak's edges move with the upper arms, but the folds along the back don't. They have to be posed separately. Thus, not only would I need to know how to make pose controls, I'd need ones that activate automatically when the base figure is posed. And, like I said, I don't know how to do that. :red:

You mean joint-controlled morphs? They're actually pretty easy. Here's a basic set of instructions.

1. Pose the figure in the pose that needs a morph to go with it. It must not be fitted to Genesis.
    2. Export to obj.
    3. Import to your modeling program.
    4. Reshape the import to the morphed pose.
    5. Export as obj again.
    6. Load through Morph Loader Pro with "create controller" or whatever that first option is set to "no" and "reverse deformation" set to "yes." This is with the clothing figure still posed.
    7. Set the new dial to 1. Now you should see your morphed pose on the figure.

At this point the dial is optional and only works in that one pose. I do this a lot to facilitate the full 90 degree leg bend on skirts and tunics, because it does not work well at low to intermediate values of either the bend or the pose, but isn't really needed at those values either. To make it automatic and permanent you need to freeze the ERC.

To freeze the ERC, select your item after doing the above, with the morph dial at 1.0, and go to the Property Editor tab (you may need to set one up if you don't have one). Make SURE you don't select Genesis or it'll take forever to load.

You should see two columns or panels. The one on the left shows a list of existing properties and can be used to delete morphs, rename them, fiddle with presentation settings, etc.by choosing them and right-clicking.

Right now you want to go and right-click anywhere in the right-hand panel, then choose Freeze ERC to bring up that menu. Select the clothing figure, the joint you bent, and the way you bent it (x, y or z). If you pick the correct settings your morph should be displayed automatically.

Make sure it's checked and choose Accept. Now your ERC is frozen, and the morph should dial on and off as the joint is moved. You can hide the morph or not. If I'm going to do a frozen ERC (usually I prefer to have them under user control) I generally hide it.

edited December 1969

No, I meant pose controls: such as in the Parameters tab that raise and lower the arms, open and close fingers and make fists, open and close the mouth, move eyes left and right, up and down, etc. Controls which move a series of bones all at once to a pre-determined pose. In this case, I'd need a Pose Control that would move the "Fold" bones to a "closed" position when the arms (and thus, the outer edges of the cloak) are lowered, or open more widely, when the arms are raised or moved forward or back. .

Granted, I don't know how to do JCMs either, but...

edited December 1969

No, I meant pose controls: such as in the Parameters tab that raise and lower the arms, open and close fingers and make fists, open and close the mouth, move eyes left and right, up and down, etc. Controls which move a series of bones all at once to a pre-determined pose. In this case, I'd need a Pose Control that would move the "Fold" bones to a "closed" position when the arms (and thus, the outer edges of the cloak) are lowered, or open more widely, when the arms are raised or moved forward or back. .

Granted, I don't know how to do JCMs either, but...

A pose control is made by posing the figure, then setting up an ERC control for just that pose. I just checked it with my loincloth (which has a lot of extra bones) and here's a workflow that seems functional:

1. Load the figure. Pose it in the position that you want to have as a pose control.
    2. Load Property Editor again and right-click in the right panel. We're still going to ERC Freeze.
    3. Choose the clothing piece as your figure and ALSO as the Node.
    4. For the Property, choose Create New.
    5. For the Path, type Pose Controls. For the Name, create a name (MoveRightFolds, etc.) which should automatically copy to the Label. I'm not sure if having spaces will break the Name but it won't the Label.
    6. Leave everything else alone. Click Create.
    7. It will go back to the ERC Freeze options showing your new property. Click Accept.

Now you have a new pose control (and I have learned a new method for future products).

edited December 1969

Okay I've done this enough times now to know that yes there is a problem with the transfer utility in 4.0.
    As in with Genesis, it doesn't work on both sides of the figure.

Was there a fix for this that I missed or is that fix 4.5?

edited December 1969

Okay I've done this enough times now to know that yes there is a problem with the transfer utility in 4.0.

Probably. A lot of 4.0's rigging issues were fixed with 4.5 (and so were smoothing and collision, in a lot of ways). Before I shoot my mouth off let's make sure I know what I'm hearing, though. :D Is it literally not rigging one side of a figure, like you're getting a shirt with one sleeve that doesn't conform?

edited December 1969

Probably. A lot of 4.0's rigging issues were fixed with 4.5 (and so were smoothing and collision, in a lot of ways). Before I shoot my mouth off let's make sure I know what I'm hearing, though. :D Is it literally not rigging one side of a figure, like you're getting a shirt with one sleeve that doesn't conform?

That's about the size of it yeah. This time I was running some capes by it ... get the arm, hand, finger or two on one side and arm on the other. But not conforming! The one side moves with Genesis, the other side does not. As I'm trying to keep my hobby on the easy to use side, big sigh as I lose some plugins ... I've downloaded a fresh copy of D/S4.5 to install.

Well, at the horse 2 will work.

Do I "have to" reinstall "all" the morphs and everything, clothing etc for 4.5 ... or just the basic Genesis installer?

edited December 1969

That's about the size of it yeah. This time I was running some capes by it ... get the arm, hand, finger or two on one side and arm on the other. But not conforming! The one side moves with Genesis, the other side does not. As I'm trying to keep my hobby on the easy to use side, big sigh as I lose some plugins ... I've downloaded a fresh copy of D/S4.5 to install.

Do I "have to" reinstall "all" the morphs and everything, clothing etc for 4.5 ... or just the basic Genesis installer?

You have to run a lot of older clothes through Richard's fixer script if they're in the earlier format to prevent duplicate id errors. I personally did not reinstall anything.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/740/

edited December 1969

You have to run a lot of older clothes through Richard's fixer script if they're in the earlier format to prevent duplicate id errors. I personally did not reinstall anything.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/740/

Okay, thanks. Somehow the idea of reinstalling "all that stuff" is rather a daunting thought.

edited March 2013

I think I may FINALLY have cracked t (except maybe some tweeks to the collar). Granted, this has not been tested using different body shapes yet; just the base Genesis. The new rig has a $#!7 load of bones, though, five sets, each containing a main "parent" bone, plus paired strings of four bones each. The outer edge pairs are parented to the left and right shoulder bones, and thus move with Genesis' arms. The other sets have to be raised and lowered manually. This is crucial if you do an arms down pose since the right and left folds must be lowered or clipping will occur between the cloak and the liner. If I could figure out how to make them do so automatically, I will, but how do you set up a Pose Control in a piece of clothing that's activated by the main figure's pose, not direct posing of the garment's bones?

Cloak-24.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 212K
    Cloak-23.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 128K
    Cloak-22.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 127K
    Cloak-21.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 147K
    Cloak-20.jpg
    1540 x 878 - 165K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Wow. That is an amazing rig.

You do it the same way, it just doesn't work in certain poses.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151
    edited December 1969

That looks AWESOME! Here comes Dracula! lol

edited December 1969

Wow. That is an amazing rig.
    and a lot of work. The folds alone—right and left Edge, right and left fold, and back fold, have forty five bones in total, These include the original shoulder bones from the initial transfer, but don't include any of the other bones. The only bones I actually removed from the rig are those for the fingers, hands, and forearms.

You do it the same way, it just doesn't work in certain poses.

Not sure how that could work though, given that, when the main figure is posed, even though the garment's "shoulders" move with the arms of the figure, they're still "at zero", thus, I don't see how the other fold bones would have any reference for the pose control to activate. The rig set up for the folds main strings is as follows:

Back (parented to Chest bone): rBack/lBack
    Right Fold (parented to right Collar bone): rFold inner/rFold Outer
    Left fold (Parented to left Collar bone): lFold Inner/lFold
    Right Shoulder (original transferred bone): rEdge Inner/rEdge Outer
    Left Shoulder (original transferred bone): lEdge Inner/lEdge Outer

Thus, the right and left folds move with the collar bones, not the arms, while the edge fold bones move with the upper arms of the Genesis figure. To clear up the inevitable "clipping" that occurs along the length of the area between the inner edge and outer fold strings when the arms are lowered, the main right and left fold bones need to be rotated along the Z axis +/-30° and then the strings for each, have to be closed (by Z rotation of rFold Inner1/rFold Outer1, lFold Inner1/lFold Outer 1 by +/-10°) as do the two back strings. I'd like to figure out a way to have that happen automatically when I pose the Genesis figure.

This discussion has been closed.