Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Hrm.laugh If you own the Bunny Girl set which was on sale around Christmas, the bowtie included makes a perfect substitute and its the right soze. Parenting it effectively is a bit of an issue though... Tough for things parented in the neck region to stay in Vegas so to speak.

I went searching for Bunny Girl... I actually like the cuffs and collar better than the Formal Accents, but then again, Formal Accents was a freebie... I also think I've been spending maybe a little too much time in Daz Studio lately... I clicked on the image and tried to zoom in with my mouse wheel!
    laugh

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Today's featured sale (and stores) have some overlap with more than one vendor, in yesterday's sale promo. So go compare the featured stores and what you need to get prices to drop. (Some go 71%, 65%)  It all depends on what you bought yesterday (I've learned never to buy the first day) and if getting a couple items or more, depending on if you want to do what BOTH sale pages require for prices to drop even more. So look at the Tesla and Messy vendors in the featured stores.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Fastgrab also has some pro bundles today.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2018

Really liking dForce Frolic dress by @AaveNainen and the Addon set by @Fisty and Darc. A cute dForce outfit for both G3 and G8 that works for the 19th c period and has a modesty insert for those of us who don't want our female characters to be falling out of their dresses. I couldn't find material presets for the corsage thing in the addon set, so I filed a ticket about it. Here's a test render with Vincenzina (please forgive the hovering heel)

Flamenco.png
    1080 x 1747 - 3M
    Post edited by Odaa on

@odaa   It's not a hovering heel, it's a heel in action  :)  That dress looks good and Vincenzina was a great choice to wear it. The dress looks like it was made just for her.

Surfing through some Google results, I found this script thread. Don't know how much of it is still usable, or linked elsewhere. It's free scripts and plug-ins. Anyone use any of them? 

What I was looking for, as I'm playing with more aspects of the studio, is Bake To Transforms. From what I gather, when you do pose presets, if you use some of the pose controls then you need to bake so it puts the pose control values at 0. In other words, before you save, you do this so there's not a double duty stacking of numbers. One thing I'm not finding, is a consistency of what to select. If you use pose controls for the hands, for example, (like fist) do you select the root node or the hand and all its hierarchy? 

In the popup, for nodes: it has Root as default. If you're only doing a hand, should you select the root node (that's your Genesis 3 figure, for example, in case you're not familiar with the term root node)  in Scene and leave Root in the bake popup?  If you have the hand selected, I assume you'd choose the "selected" for the node. Is one way better than the other, or one correct?  If you have the Root node selected in Scene and baking popup, does it zero out everything? Or is the Bake to Transforms only for Pose Controls?

Also, why would just Rotation be selected, when some of the hand poses also translate? Shouldn't Translation also be checked?

I found old threads on it and some YouTube but they didn't get into good detail, just "Bake to Transforms" in passing. I'm also assuming Recursive stays the same. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

Surfing through some Google results, I found this script thread. Don't know how much of it is still usable, or linked elsewhere. It's free scripts and plug-ins. Anyone use any of them? 

Many mjcasual scripts are still functional in DS 4 (some are for DS 1-3). I have used several. Direct links to his scripts 1 and scripts 2 pages.

L'Adair said:
    I went searching for Bunny Girl... I actually like the cuffs and collar better than the Formal Accents, but then again, Formal Accents was a freebie... I also think I've been spending maybe a little too much time in Daz Studio lately... I clicked on the image and tried to zoom in with my mouse wheel!
    laugh

I think Bunny girl's stuff works pretty good but must be manually placed. Clothing made in MD does not autofit well for me.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Novica said:

@odaa   It's not a hovering heel, it's a heel in action  :)  That dress looks good and Vincenzina was a great choice to wear it. The dress looks like it was made just for her.

What I was looking for, as I'm playing with more aspects of the studio, is Bake To Transforms. From what I gather, when you do pose presets, if you use some of the pose controls then you need to bake so it puts the pose control values at 0. In other words, before you save, you do this so there's not a double duty stacking of numbers. One thing I'm not finding, is a consistency of what to select. If you use pose controls for the hands, for example, (like fist) do you select the root node or the hand and all its hierarchy? 

In the popup, for nodes: it has Root as default. If you're only doing a hand, should you select the root node (that's your Genesis 3 figure, for example, in case you're not familiar with the term root node)  in Scene and leave Root in the bake popup?  If you have the hand selected, I assume you'd choose the "selected" for the node. Is one way better than the other, or one correct?  If you have the Root node selected in Scene and baking popup, does it zero out everything? Or is the Bake to Transforms only for Pose Controls?

Also, why would just Rotation be selected, when some of the hand poses also translate? Shouldn't Translation also be checked?

I found old threads on it and some YouTube but they didn't get into good detail, just "Bake to Transforms" in passing. I'm also assuming Recursive stays the same. 

Wait, what is all this? Can't you just save a pose of a body part and that's it? What is bake to transform?

•  

Wait, what is all this? Can't you just save a pose of a body part and that's it? What is bake to transform?

If you do completely manual posing of a character (by moving each part individually) yes. What Novica is talking about is if any part of the pose is done with the Pose Controls (found under the Posing and Parameters tabs).

Bake to transforms works when you use pose controls however it might not save as pose accurate pose. I’ve found even when I use bake to transform the pose may be slightly off from what I intended, not by much but enough for me to also save the pose as a preset without baking for my own personal use.

Here's another fun video to start your day. Drew Carey is such a good sport. And I could see the treadmill fiasco coming a mile away. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

If you do completely manual posing of a character (by moving each part individually) yes. What Novica is talking about is if any part of the pose is done with the Pose Controls (found under the Posing and Parameters tabs).

Oh, Ok, I do all my posing in the parameter pane using sliders. That should be OK to just save as poses or partial poses then? One thing that drives me crazy is that V4 had a side-side transform on the forearm and the Genesis characters do not! Normal forearms do move from side to side not just bending forward which makes posing really hard on Genesisis! Maybe I should try the pose controls section and try manually posing. Posing V4 in Poser is soooo much easier! 

Quote for today- "I am not a night owl or an early bird. I am a permenently exhausted pigeon." 

And I saw an adorable shirt. It had a cat sleeping on a horse's back (which they do, to keep warm. Mine did it all the time in the barn, when I lived up North) and the shirt said "Pasture Bedtime." 

@wonderland    To do poses, yes, the Parameters and sliders are fine, you can also go to Windows>Pane/Tab and open Power Pose, which makes it easy to just click on a part of the body and it's selected. Then while putting your mouse on the gold circle, pull your mouse and you can move the figure. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2018

What it was like living in Ohio. A little kitbashing. If you knew me, you would be blown away by how close it is. 

000mudbrook001.jpg
    1546 x 881 - 917K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on

@donovancolbert   That looks really GOOD! Particularly the water. The transparency is spot on and it really looks like water. I like the way the beer bottle is off-center. Very nice composition in your Ohio scene!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2018

Here is  FWSA Khloe wearing young grace hair and wild nettle outfit.  I have to say it was my first time using this hair and I love all the morph options - something I didn't expect.  The wings are Alieta Spryte which are my fave fairy wings.  They blew up everytime I tried to "fit to" - since they are G3 and the character is G8.  I just parented the wings to the character.

I didn't mess around much with lighting in Daz, but for the first time, rendered using canvases.  Canvases can then be used to control lighting effects.  @deathbycanon has made an excellent youtube instructional vid showing how it is done.

Post edited by Worlds_Edge on

She looks like she's having so much fun! The lighting is just right, matches her fun attitude. (It's not too overpowering.)  I found this YouTube video on canvases, is this the one?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yes that's the one.

Wish my backyard in Ohio had a hot tub and pool lol.  We do have the beer!

• Yes that's the one.

Having the beer is a necessity in Ohio, especially during the winters! :D 

Yes that's the one.

So very true lol!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

And summers, especially after a hot and humid episode of grass cutting!

Like your pool scene too

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,157

I bought a few things last night/this morning. Since then, I've been busy trying them, and sadly, documenting the problems with some of them. I'm working on bug reports for these:

Kagiso for G8M has different translucency color and SSS tint on his torso than on the rest of his skin. This shows up in renders. He also has light green fingernails and thumbnails. Those even show in the promo image, now that I go back and look carefully. This should be easy for Daz to fix. Hopefully they will.

The Bella Bleu Dress straps are too loose and don't even fit Bella Bleu. There are no adjustment morphs and the dForce simulation doesn't help, because the straps are weightmapped out to not simulate. When applying some of the other material presets, it sets Self Collide On, so the edges of the dress slit gravitate toward each other and cling together in some poses. Vendors seem to be jumping on the dForce bandwagon, but the dForce implementation of this product is disappointing.

The FG Mega Hoodie has very low resolution textures and look pretty splotchy in closeup renders. The product page says 4096 by 4096, but neglects to mention that the texture map for whole hoodie fabric is fit into a small part of that image space, and doesn't have clear detail even in the small space it resides in. The result is effectively in low resolution textures. I'm disappointed.

What did you buy? Are you happy with it?

Kagiso torso surface different than other skin green nails.jpg
    1345 x 2000 - 710K
    Bella Bleu Dress bad strap fit.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M

Wow, talk about quality being "meh." And QA not doing very good QA.  How did the PA(s) not catch this, when this stuff is obvious? Who were their beta testers? 

I haven't had time to render anything, my three dogs broke a board in the fence this afternoon and got out of the yard, luckily I found them within ten minutes (or less.) A neighbor happened to see the direction they went and all three stayed together, thank goodness. But shortly after that, a neighbor came to the door and her dog has been missing since 10am this morning, the kids are frantic with worry. A cute schnauzer wearing a pink sweater named Princess, if that tells you how precious this dog is to them. She also broke a fence board and escaped. What is it with these dogs???

Anyway, I know how they feel (Eevie was never found) so I've been out looking for their dog. Just walked the street again and told them I would again at midnight. I'm thinking even though it's cold (Real Feel down to 28) and animals normally hunker down, if they are scared they may hide during the day and look for food at night. They said she's really skittish. So no rendering today. I'll take a look at a few things I picked up to showcase. 

I picked up the dforce cloth scripts and the dforce hair scripts yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to try the hair but the one item of clothing I tried i on worked flawlessly.  I haven't been buying much, my budget is tight for the next couple of months and I am trying to concentrate on utilities and things I don't have. Which isn't much lol.  I did pick up the mutomorphs and the temple but have not had time to use them yet.  When I do I will post.

I did do a quick walk through on my art thread on how I use layers and filters in postwork if anyone is interested. A couple people had asked me too, but I can't remember who they were lol. Its just a simple one with screen shots.

I bought a few things, too. Not sure what was going on with the store—glitches, obviously—but I picked up Karyssa Pro for under $30 with my 25% offer, and grabbed Adventuring Party Bundle, Forgotten Grotto Bundle and G2F Adventure Bundle as my freebies. I also bought P3D Tilly, Kagiso, Stryker, the Bella Blue bundle and a PC+ product, Sleeping and Napping for G3F poses.

I haven't had a chance to play with anything yet, (I needed to add some images to my wip thread,) but I'm going to go do that now.

If you haven't already, give Serene Night's Defective a look and a Like if you get a chance. She made it (easily) into the top Gallery renders strip. 

• Hey, have any of you ever tried to do a render with a camera half above and half below the water line? I'm trying right now and I can either get right above the surface or right below it, but I can't get both at the same time. 

This particular water plane reflects completely so you can't see anything below the water line if you're above it, or above the water line if you're below it - which isn't the effect I am after. 

• And summers, especially after a hot and humid episode of grass cutting!

Like your pool scene too

I had 3.25 acres with woods, a pond, and a 6000 sq. foot brick Tudor when I lived in Jackson Township/Massillon (plus the hot tub and the Intex pool). I used to ride around on my lawn mower and drink a six pack and wave at the Jackson Township PD when they would drive down my street while I was doing it... :) 

I enjoyed my time in Ohio. :) 

Now I've got a 9000 sq foot lot in Phoenix. But the pool is in-ground. :) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,157
    edited January 2018

I got some products yesterday that I am pretty pleased with so far:

Blithe Hair for G3F and G8F AprilYSH, so my expectations were high. Yup, looks as good as I expected from her.

P3D Fara for V8 I always seem pleased with my P3D purchases. Fara is no exception so far. She looks a little yellow here, but I think it is the unusual lighting of the Dresden Station HDRI from HDRI Haven.

Pumps 4 for G8F They fit well on Fara and have lots of colors and color combinations.

dForce Soulful Outfit for G8F  This outfit is a little far out for me, but it had a useful morph to lengthen the pants, so I liked that. It simulated well on Fara, although I didn't like the look of the scarf and deleted it.

I used the Now-Crowd Billobards - Modern City Life in this render. I'm really having fun with those. I got them a few days ago. I highly recommend them for populating your scene backgrounds without requiring too many resources.

I think I missed my train

Fara Billboards Train Station PS.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Fara Soulful Pumps close PS.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited January 2018
    barbult said:

Kagiso for G8M has different translucency color and SSS tint on his torso than on the rest of his skin. This shows up in renders. He also has light green fingernails and thumbnails. Those even show in the promo image, now that I go back and look carefully. This should be easy for Daz to fix. Hopefully they will.

Kagiso has 2 base skin presets, one without Gens, (01) and one with (02). The second preset loads with the correct settings for Kagiso's torso, (even without the gens applied,) which match the rest of the body. (As opposed to the torso being correct and and everything else having the wrong settings.) There are tats for his torso, arms and legs, and a preset to restore the torso, (but not the arms or legs,) and that preset is also incorrect. I'm going to file a trouble ticket with this info.

Until Daz gets this updated, we can just just use the second preset.

The fingernails and toenails, on the other hand, will still be green. This is the "SSS Reflectance Tint" for the nails, which you can modify in the Surfaces->Editor. My personal preference is to change SSS Reflectance Tint to dark gray in the Select Color dialog. This looks really natural with his dark skin and you don't need to change anything else.

Post edited by L'Adair on
This discussion has been closed.