Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

The early stages of a WIP. I'm going to flesh out the scene and lighting.

Anybody know what this is from? ;-)

A Borg?
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

A Borg?

Tarantino! Grindhouse Planet Terror

GrindHousePlanetTerrorMoviePosterDutchBelgian.jpg
    446 x 640 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Great job, Evil. Could really be from the same photoshoot that created the poster. Can't wait to see the rest of the 70s exploitation movie context.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited December 1969

I'm gonna have to pull this one off the ol' DVD rack and give it a watch again! Bravo ep!

diomede64 said:

One reason I like the old figures in Carrara is that the topologies are not protected, and it is easy to manipulate the base mesh in the vertex modeler. So, I like to work with the base mesh myself without loading or using morphs (or in combination with). Another is that I am used to the older figures. But, remember that Genesis can achieve many of the things that you might use an older figure for - or pretty close.
    First of all, thanks for the really cool comparison. Awesome.
    I'm glad to see someone enjoying legacy DAZ People figures. Although outdated in DAZ Store terms, these are some really good figures, aren't they? Second Generation Mike and Vicky are great, too! It's a cool comparison in the ol' runtime as well. Generation 2 comes with a good pile of morphs preloaded, Generation 3 stole a good chunk of real estate in the Pose category in Poser, Generation 4 took what they've learned from all of this and streamlined it a bit - but added the whole morph following technology, amongst other improvements.
    Now Genesis works sort of like Generation 2 in that all of the morph shapes that you buy(and install) become a part of the figure. Talk about learning, though... Genesis doesn't actually carry around all of that morph information, I'm told. Instead, it just inherits the dials to use those shapes, but doesn't call upon that data unless it's used!

For those that are using Genesis and have also been trying out Genesis 2, you'll notice that DAZ has adapted to even more knowledge of experience - the organization of morph access within the system is much better - even though I didn't really have a problem with Genesis... the second time around is much better, though!

edited November 2013

Also like to add: There's still a decent collection of support items available for the legacy figures. Some of those Generation 2 clothing is just plain cool! I was really happy when DAZ made generation 3 shapes and fits for Genesis! I immediately bought those and several generation 3 outfits that I've wanted! I was disappointed when they announced that they weren't going any further back. Perhaps there were technical drawbacks when trying to use things like Morphing Fantasy outfits on the latest tech? Hard to say. All of the DAZ People have been so excellent to work with that support products here and other stores have really pushed the boundaries of realism! From what I could tell, Generation two was a new and improved version of one, is that correct?

just a tiny example of great Generation 1 and 2 clothing sets. They work for either generation:

beastmasters-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 17K
    ss-adventure-mat-pack-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 27K
    stormguards-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 15K
    michael-s-changing-fantasy-suit-textures-rawhide-ranger-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 27K
    michael-s-changing-fantasy-suit-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 10K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited November 2013

diomede64
    Great job, Evil. Could really be from the same photoshoot that created the poster. Can’t wait to see the rest of the 70s exploitation movie context.

Thanks! I'm thinking of recreating the set piece towards the end of the film at the airfield with the choppers in the background and explosions and fire. I'm thinking about my options to mutate/zombiefie military personnel.

Dartanbeck
    I’m gonna have to pull this one off the ol’ DVD rack and give it a watch again! Bravo ep!

Thanks Dart! No comment about the pinup picture I posted further up the last page? It's no Mullberry, but I thought for sure you'd have to go clean up! ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Here's another WIP. I need to fix the color on the chopper and I hate the hair.

Planet_Terror.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 913K
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

And then there's the clothes... all to be primitive when I start fashioning but will I be running into conflicts that will cause more noobie trouble by working back in older Vics and Mics?

Back later with any outcomes and maybe a render to see...might take a while or be tomorrow.

xx :) SileneUK

ETA

Just saw your above post..... that's a big help!!!

When it comes time to create clothes, if you are going to use V4/M4 or V3/M3 figures, you might want to take a look at the following thread. Roygee explains how to use Daz Studio as a very simple and effective plugin for making clothes for use in Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30103/

The beginning of the thread has some griping (by me), but if you read on, there is very helpful info from Roygee. Make sure to read the whole thread. In addition, Dart has some links to useful Daz guides. Some important tips that might not be in the thread include - you can load your figure to be clothed in Carrara and model in the assembly room to make your meshes (and uvmap them) fit the character in the zero position. When you have the shape you want, resize it to a scale of 1.042% of initial size (yes, roughly 1/100th the size). Export out just the cloth mesh as an obj (and I choose Poser format in the drop down menu in the export dialogue) to a location of your choice. Open Daz Studio. Load the figure to be clothed (for example sake, how about M4) in Daz Studio and make sure it is in zero pose. In Daz Studio, use the edit menu to convert the M4 figure to triax weightmapping. Now, bring in the clothing you made. Use file import and choose the obj that you exported from Carrara. On loading, it should fit the M4 figure. Now use the transfer utility to convert the cloth to a conformable figure. Dart won't want to hear this, but you don't have to group the body parts first. Then, look at the heavens and offer praise to Roygee for sharing this very easy method.

edited December 1969

Man, I have to go through this whole thing and catch all the images I've missed!

edited December 1969

This one is much, much better!

Planet_Terror02.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Man, I have to go through this whole thing and catch all the images I've missed!

Better get busy! ;-)
    edited December 1969

Another one from me.
    Its the Yosemite HDR Background and Josie.

Wood_Nympf_001_001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 844K
  • SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

yep Evil this one is so much better.

edited November 2013

EddyMI said:
    Another one from me.

Nice render, but looking at her and the rock behing her made all chilly, seem to be snow?? :P

She gonna catch a cold. :)

Post edited by Spaceland on
    edited November 2013

Spaceland said:
    EddyMI said:
    Another one from me.

Nice render, but looking at here and the rock behing her made all chilly, seem to be snow?? :P

She gonna catch a cold. :)
    Hello Denis,
    in fact, it's bright sunlight.
    On the other hand, she's got a solid constitution ;-)

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    EddyMI said:

A Borg?

Tarantino! Grindhouse Planet Terror

Rodriguez! Grindhouse Planet Terror.

Tarantino directed Grindhouse: Death Proof.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Gotta around to play a bit more.

Forest_temple_2.jpg
    1280 x 715 - 546K
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Wow it is coming quiet nicely.

I would had a little more light so we can see better the bottom part. But that is me. Depends on the feeling you have for it.

I like it.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

I like this one!!

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

While it's still 10/31...
    Happy Halloween!

Excellent Render!

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

I like it! :coolsmile: I'm always a sucker for sunset pictures where the scenery is in silhouette. Nicely done!

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

WOW!
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,846
    edited December 1969

@laurenwbr

here is a quick M4 chimp - using creature M4 and Morphs++

Used neanderthal textures for M4

M4_apish_carrara.jpg
    450 x 800 - 180K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,846
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

looking great ;)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    @laurenwbr

here is a quick M4 chimp - using creature M4 and Morphs++

Used neanderthal textures for M4

Is that a Banana in your hand or are you just happy to see me? :lol:
    edited December 1969

A little test animation based on Cherry from Grindhouse: Planet Terror. I wanted to see what I could get.

The animation is was done using a couple target helpers and the good old fashioned CG way, by using IK and morph sliders (for the eyes). ;-)

The muzzle flash is a series of splats grouped with a bulb light and with a fast rotation and visibility toggled on and off using an oscillate tweener.

http://youtu.be/NY8nM1Uqsao

Picture_5.png
    711 x 475 - 274K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

A little test animation based on Cherry from Grindhouse: Planet Terror. I wanted to see what I could get.

The animation is was done using a couple target helpers and the good old fashioned CG way, by using IK and morph sliders (for the eyes). ;-)

The muzzle flash is a series of splats grouped with a bulb light and with a fast rotation and visibility toggled on and off using an oscillate tweener.

cool effect :-)

edited November 2013

bigh said:

cool effect :-)

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you. You've done some pretty darn cool animations yourself! :-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • BbopBbop Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All of these renders are inspirational! I am working on one using a model I picked up from TurboSquid site. Naturally one thing led to another and the file got HUGE. I even tried using the remove unused shader option and I fear the file is just too big. I modeled a NYC Subway station (about 40% done there) and also a few subway cars (each has something like 4k riviets alone!). Does grouping help with managing file size and complexity? My wish is to try and see how close to photoreal I can get. Any ideas on what the limits are on .car files would be a great help. Also is there a limit on the number of lights that can be used. I am using a lot of "Anything Glows" objects. I have renamed them so that there is no confusion. I have a loooong way to go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Oh one last thing! Is there any way to control how the graphics card is used? I'm running a GTX 660Ti and it doesn't seem to be used for rendering. Looks like the CPU is doing all of the work.

Test_R-36_in_IRT_Station_G.png
    711 x 400 - 82K
    Test_R-36_in_IRT_Station_F.png
    711 x 400 - 174K
    edited December 1969

Looking very cool!
    Yes, grouping and duplicating can really help.
    Grouping helps you to keep the file workability easier to manage in your scene. Select any number of objects and "Cntrl G" to group.
    Duplicating "Cntrl D" (Cmd D Mac) actually saves the file size, too. Instead of actually having another rivet, you have the affect of the same rivet in other part of 3d space - saving on the RAM needed to keep the scene. Duplicating works in the vertex modeler too.