Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 4 can't apply textures

When I apply the V4 skin Legacy Material files G8 just looks white. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I haven't worked with V4 very much at all..

Comments

• The V4 textures on Genesis 8 Female should look the same as on V4.  If you don't have V4 you can load the texture on Genesis 1.  But sometimes when there is a memory bottleneck in DAZ Studio textures bleach out to white.  In that case closing and reopening DS should do the trick.

If it still looks odd, could you post a screenshot?

• Rebooted my computer and restarted Daz, still get a white shell around the figure :-( Have tried 2 texture sets.

Here's what I see..

v4uv.JPG
    2424 x 1816 - 254K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032

Since those are for V4 I suppose they are 3DL materials. Do they use a special shader maybe? One that wouldn't be installed, or if you use Iray one that wouldn't be translated automatically to Iray...

• Leana said:

Since those are for V4 I suppose they are 3DL materials. Do they use a special shader maybe? One that wouldn't be installed, or if you use Iray one that wouldn't be translated automatically to Iray...

No idea, I am really out of my comfort zone working with V4. I used https://www.daz3d.com/angel-for-v4 and Marley from Maddelirium from the other store.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032

Marley doesn't have DS materials AFAIK, so custom 3DL shader wouldn't be the culprit.

• Jennifer, it does not look as though any textures have been loaded at all.  Material files need to be in .duf format to load (see the PDF: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/45575/45575_legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-4.pdf).  I suspect your MATs are still in .ds or .pz format.  Load them onto V4 or Genesis and then resave them as ordinary .duf Material Presets.

• erostewerostew Posts: 214

From the product page:

There is a simple three stage loading procedure:

• 1. Click the 'Prepare Genesis 8 Female' icon
    • 2. Load the Victoria 4 textures
    • 3. Click the 'Apply UVs' icon

Sounds like you have to use the script everytime and can't just change the UVs manually. Just a guess though since I don't have the product.

• Jennifer, it does not look as though any textures have been loaded at all.  Material files need to be in .duf format to load (see the PDF: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/45575/45575_legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-4.pdf).  I suspect your MATs are still in .ds or .pz format.  Load them onto V4 or Genesis and then resave them as ordinary .duf Material Presets.

Unless the textures load differently for V4? I've clicked on them just as I do for newer models, my Iray preview screen "reloads" and I still see the white texture..I'll try the resave thing but I believe both figures are duf already. :-(

• erostew said:

From the product page:

There is a simple three stage loading procedure:

• 1. Click the 'Prepare Genesis 8 Female' icon
    • 2. Load the Victoria 4 textures
    • 3. Click the 'Apply UVs' icon

Sounds like you have to use the script everytime and can't just change the UVs manually. Just a guess though since I don't have the product.

Yes, I have the read me which has the three steps. Unless I'm loading textures wrong or if they aren't already in duf, I don't know..I've been doing it as specified :-(

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited November 2017

Jennifer, it does not look as though any textures have been loaded at all.  Material files need to be in .duf format to load (see the PDF: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/45575/45575_legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-4.pdf).  I suspect your MATs are still in .ds or .pz format.  Load them onto V4 or Genesis and then resave them as ordinary .duf Material Presets.

Unless the textures load differently for V4? I've clicked on them just as I do for newer models, my Iray preview screen "reloads" and I still see the white texture..I'll try the resave thing but I believe both figures are duf already. :-(

Yea, you can't do that. Older materials are pre-duf days and use a different format. The easiest and fastest way to load V4 materials onto newer models is to use Draagonstorm's V4 to G2F batch converter and then use those presets to load V4 textures onto G8F. Her script auto-saves them into duf format, from there DS can apply the materials to the right material zones.

https://www.daz3d.com/v4-skins-batch-converter-to-genesis-2-female-s

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • You can see on the product page that Angel for V4 uses .pz2 and .dsb MATs, so they won't load on Genesis 8.  But you can convert them to .duf easily enough, as I have said above, either by loading them onto V4 or Genesis and resaving them as .duf Material Presets, or as Vaskania has said, by using Draagonstorm's converter which is especially useful if you have a lot of MATs to convert.

• Thanks everyone, I'm a dork! Marley said she was duf if I did a search in windows but must not have been really. I did as you all suggested and saved as material presets and it now works! It was frustrating there for a while. Now to figure out morphs and I'm set :-) Thanks to everyone who weighed in!!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited November 2017

Thanks everyone, I'm a dork! Marley said she was duf if I did a search in windows but must not have been really. I did as you all suggested and saved as material presets and it now works! It was frustrating there for a while. Now to figure out morphs and I'm set :-) Thanks to everyone who weighed in!!

@jenniferhughey Morphs will be more difficult to transfer. There is GenX2 by Dimension3D, but the farthest you can go is V4/M4 to G3F/G3M. Unforunately, both Draagonstorm, around Christmas time last year, and Dimension3D over the summer this year, have both passed away. There is a method floating around on the forums somewhere to convert morphs from G3 to G8, so you'd need GenX2 to go from V4 to G3, and then use the forum method to take that from G3 to G8.

If it helps at all, G8 can use G3 skin textures based on the base maps right out of the box ( other G3 variants can be used on G8 with the use of Redzstudio's UV packs https://www.daz3d.com/redzstudio ), so if you're just starting out, as tempting as all of the older stuff may be, it may be easier to stick with G3 and G8 for now if you want to use the latest tech. Characters for both figures already come in all duf formats, so no material conversion would be necessary.

Also, Marley would not be duf at all. Maddelirium is primarily a Poser content creator, and Poser cannot handle duf out of the box as it's a DS format. Unless her (Maddelirium) characters specifically state that it's for a Genesis figure, it's a safe bet that they're in Poser format, and will require shader tweaking if the materials are transferred.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ViallyVially Posts: 343

Okay, having the exact same problem trying to get some legacy V4 Characters updated to G8F.

Yes, these are originally mat files, and are even POSE MAT, The character I'm trying to do at the moment is Camielle for V4, however I get teh same type of results for every material I try to convert.

Steps are:

Load V4 and apply Texture MAT files

Save Textures as "Materials (presets)"

Navigate to directory and verify that I now have a DUF file for the texture.

Load G8F

Apply "Legacy UVs !prepare Genesis 8 Female"

Apply Texture from Saved files>Preset>Materials>"V4 Camielle to G8F"   (how I names my save)

Apply "Apply Victoria 4 UVs"

Attached is the results.

Should note that the arms are NOT Camielle's that I am aware of (to light).

I have tried multiple textures as well as applying the V4 Textures to Genesis and creating the DUF file that way. (Again note, the textures apply to Geniesis with no issues Camielle looks like Camielle.)

Any ideas what might be going on?

V4 Camiele to G8F.png
    544 x 786 - 221K
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,133

Vially, I have tried this with Camielle for V4, and it works OK.  I can only assume that there is something wrong with your .duf Material preset.  One test would be to load a new V4 and then try to load your .duf MAT onto it.  If it is in order the MAT should load.  Also, be aware that .duf files must be saved in the DAZ Studio Formats section of the Content Library, not the Poser Formats section - because they won't show up there.

Okay, followed the steps AGAIN...

Attached are the results, V4 with Camielle Texture as DUF, Genisis with Same DUF, G8F with DUF.

If you look at G8F, you can see that "Something" is loading, but it's not my DUF, or is completely mapped wrong.

All-3-together.png
    777 x 1013 - 789K
    edited April 2018

If you go into the Surfaces tab for G8F you should be able to see what texture has loaded for the Face surface, for example.  There is obviously something not right here.  I have attached a picture of the Camielle texture on Genesis 8 Female to show that it can be done.

Camielle_G8F_01.png
    911 x 941 - 458K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on

Okay so after reviewing even more and looking at surfaces, I see a major difference between Genesis and G8F when within the surfaces tab. As indicated by images Genesis Settings and G8F Settings (attached Images) Genesis does have the Camielle character listed in presets, (not sure if that is relavent,) While G8F does not, unless I uncheck the "Filter by context" option.

So on G8F I go through the steps again and nothing really changes until I select or apply the "Set Victoria 4 UV". What I am finding this does is remove ALL Diffuse images and changes the color to gray. It does not however change any Bump or Specular images. with the exception of Template 4, which appears to be the arms, in 3rd image I changed the diffuse to try to figure out what area this was.

Interestingly enough, a Specular Secondary node has been added to the legs, the color is a very light blue, but what is really interesting is the image for this is set to V5BreeLimbsS.jpg. which sort of indicates that this is pulling information from all sorts of places. Except of course where I am expecting to pull from.

The surfaces>Torso, has subsurface scattering set, to V5BreeTorsoS.jpg?

Anyway, all nodes have a UV Maps setting, all of which are set to "base", not sure if that is what "Set Victoria 4 UV" is intended to change or add.

This is just all giving me a headache... :D

Genesis Settings.png
    1018 x 500 - 191K
    G8F Settings.png
    607 x 457 - 78K
    G8F Editor 003.png
    1000 x 459 - 399K

From the third picture I see that the shader is 'omUberSurface'.  The V4 Camielle shader should be 'DAZ Studio Default'. Could you resave the Camielle Material Preset from the V4 mesh and check this when you do it.

Also, could you post a picture of G8F before you run the 'Apply Victoria 4 UVs' script.  The textures should be present although they will look a bit of a mess.  I want to try to establish at what stage the problem is occurring.

okay, will do that tonight.

Shader is nothing I have changed or looked into yet.

Where and how would I change those settings?

The only reason that there would be a different shader is if you had purposefully applied the shader to the existing MAT (in this case Shader Presets > omnifreaker > UberSurface > !UberSurface Base), or you had applied another MAT onto it which used that shader.

only place I can see where a shader is used is on the Surfaces section for G8F, there it is iRay - have no idea why how or what to do with that information, but it is that way when I load G8F. Attached to the default texture maybe?

So files are G8F before during and after the UVs are applied.

Didn't render the third because I can already tell it's messed up.

Posed for Mat file.png
    759 x 1012 - 407K
    Camielle DUF Applied.png
    759 x 1012 - 399K
    Applied Set Victoria 4 UV.png
    581 x 825 - 198K

So trying to figure out where the Bree information comes from - I closed DAZ, re-opened, and loaded Victoria 4.2, checked the Surfaces tab, and nothing is listed - loaded the Camielle MAT DUF, and it shows that the shader is DAZ Studio Default.

Camielle's Mat files are used for ALL the surfaces listed.

I re-created the DUF file: Again.

on the Materials Preset save options screen, I went through and made sure that Everything is checked, except compress file.

Deleted Victoria 4.2.

Loaded Genesis Genesis surface structure is the same as Victoria 4.2, we know this, I applied the new DUF. - no issue, did we expect one? not really.

Deleted Genesis, closed DAZ Studio and re-opened.

Loaded G8F- Note that the Shaderis set to iRay Uber. I did not change this that I am aware of, it must load with the model and the Preset texture "base" female.

I get the same results.

Vially, I am mystified by this problem of yours.  How are you applying the Material Preset?  All you need to do is double-click on the Material Preset icon in the Content Library after you have run the 'Prepare Genesis 8 Female' script.  You don't need to bother with the Surfaces tab at all.  It is literally 2 or 3 clicks.

Here is a link to the online PDF ReadMe:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/45575/45575_legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-4.pdf

That's all I am doing is double click.

As soon as I do G8F changes her look to what you see in image 3.

If you go into the Surfaces tab for G8F you should be able to see what texture has loaded for the Face surface, for example.  There is obviously something not right here.  I have attached a picture of the Camielle texture on Genesis 8 Female to show that it can be done.

Only reason I went to the surfaces tab at all, is I was told to do so to try and troubleshoot what might be happening. The steps I am taking to apply the texture are exactly what is written in the PDF. In fact the PDF was my resource to say "okay, cool, it CAN be done..."

Could you upload the Material Preset DUF file that you have created as an attachment?

Done

V4 Camielle.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 3K
    duf
    duf
    V4 Camielle.duf

Well, nothing wrong with the DUF!  It loads perfectly on my Genesis 8 Female.  The only other thing I can think of is that either the Legacy UVs product or Genesis 8 Female has been corrupted or compromised in some way on your computer, so it might be worth uninstalling then reinstalling either one or both of them.

edited April 2018

Okay, I suspect it to be the converter since G8F works perfectly fine for everything else, (so far.)

So then the next question is how do I go about uninstalling/reistalling the converter?

May have just found the issue - the Victoria 4 to Genesis 2 product shows 2 files.however when I search the product from within DAZ Studio, the file Set Victoria UV.mc6 shows as broken or missing. Searching hard drive finds nothing.... and dang, no that's a poser file :(

Post edited by Vially on