Layer Shader for DAZ Studio

RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

is this different from LIE and does it work with 4.6 ?

any experience someone pls

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

If you mean this http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/layer-shader-for-daz-studio
    Yes, it's different from LIE, and yes it works with 4.6.

layeredshader.png
    1920 x 1050 - 541K
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

thx Vaskania
    you know if i can make my own presets for it in photoshop ?

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I don't have this product yet but from looking at the screen shot... I would think the entire point is that it saves you a lot of time by not having to do as much photoshop work. You can just plug in existing textures for base, top & whole and use a mask to blend them. I think this would be limited for me since I often use advanced shaders and to my knowledge this does not blend shaders. I think I could accomplish most of what it does by composting images in an editor &/or using LIE. It would save time in some cases, would be more flexible with tiling, etc. and it's not expensive so I might get it. Since I don't own the product yet, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I wonder how this product differs from Uber Surface 2 which has double layer function and yes you can make you own maps and transmaps in Photoshop for Uber Surface 2 so I would presume you could for this product.

edited October 2013

Szark said:
    I wonder how this product differs from Uber Surface 2

I can think of about $17.96 worth of differences. lol ;)

Swawa is correct. The base texture is the underlying texture (in my render- the wall), the top texture in this case would be the ivy, and the mask is the transmap for the top texture- white where the top texture is visible, and black where it's not.

This image was done by applying one of the ivy shaders to a few west park walls, and then replacing west park's original wall textures in the base texture area.

You can also get some interesting results by plugging in displacement maps as a transmap, or using transmaps for textures you're not using.

Not_a_clue.jpg
    500 x 500 - 176K
    Hearts_displacement_as_trans.jpg
    500 x 500 - 114K
    WestParkBasement_Ivy.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 351K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

yeah good point Vask. :P I would still like to know though.

edited October 2013

From the US2LS description, this one is a lot more basic. It's purely just overlaying textures with the ability to adjust tiling. There are no blend modes, no SSS, no gamma/contrast/etc. As you can tell in my screen above, there are no extra functions that you would not find in a basic Daz Default shaded surface.

edited December 1969

Thanks Vask yeah I went and looked and came to the same conclusion. I suppose this is good for simple overlays. I will stick to US2.

edited October 2013

What's the render time on the US2 one? I don't have it, so I'm honestly curious.

edited December 1969

pretty much the same as Uber Surface that ships with Daz Studio now. I like US2 as it has better SSS functions than US1.

edited October 2013

Hm. Does US2 allow you to ctrl-click over existing textures and keep them as the base layer? This one doesn't. Jen said she tried to allow it to use our own maps, but daz kept crashing.

edited December 1969

It works with Ctrl-Click but from memory is resets to values to default. But if you have a surface that has Uber Surface applied then US2 comes with a US1 to US2 upgrade preset which works a treat. You could do a double load, first use this Ubersurface-1-upgrade-preset and then use the US1 - US2 preset which should keep all the paramters and maps in place.

edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the next time it's on sale.

edited December 1969

My pleasure Vask.