3D Printing Plugin for Daz Studio - GamePrint [Commercial]

Comments

• GamePrintGamePrint Posts: 539
    edited October 2017
    GamePrint said:
    RawArt said:
    GamePrint said:
    th3Digit said:

what I am now up to. I exaggerated the supersuit seams as do not expect the detail to be painted,

payday is tomorrow yes

NICE! :D Love it! we can extract the texture details on the surface to make it rough, I can imagine how this will look likeyes

The hair on that one has alot of flying strands...I am sure those would not print well. Do you have any examples of something printed that does have hair that is more "dynamic" in its posing?....like something blowing in the wind with flyaways.

If we know what can be done, it will make choosing hair for our characters easier, so that we wont end up disappointed with the final print.

The hair is not an issue as our technology will thicken the hair and make sure it is printable, it will handle all intersections and improve it for printability. Will look out some samples and share it here. 

Also how long will your captures that you have uploaded stay up on your site?

Typically it will stay for few weeks after the order is produced and delivered to avoid any possible case raising up.

It can be deleted as well, currently we can delete it from our end and we will add a delete button in the next few days as well but you can send us the ID or url and we can delete it for you until this button is released. 

Post edited by GamePrint on
    edited October 2017

I think one of the things we will do is to create a survey were features can be submitted and upvoted.

• What about before the order is produced as I am waiting on the smaller figures to be rolled out

What about before the order is produced as I am waiting on the smaller figures to be rolled out

Yes, this will be possible through a delete button or currently by sending us the model you want you delete.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,327

Congratulations - a great idea, and excellent looking products! You are able to work out even the finest details (e.g. the incredibly thin stiletto heels in ggartist's pictures), so I think your material must be very strong and smooth. I doubt that a $ 200 printer can produce this quality; most of the low end products I saw were too clumsy to catch my interest. That's totally different with your models. Your painters seem to be real masters, but I like the single colours, too. The plugin is on my wishlist, but at the moment there are sooo many boring, trivial and costly things requiring payment... crying 

caravelle said:

Congratulations - a great idea, and excellent looking products! You are able to work out even the finest details (e.g. the incredibly thin stiletto heels in ggartist's pictures), so I think your material must be very strong and smooth. I doubt that a $ 200 printer can produce this quality; most of the low end products I saw were too clumsy to catch my interest. That's totally different with your models. Your painters seem to be real masters, but I like the single colours, too. The plugin is on my wishlist, but at the moment there are sooo many boring, trivial and costly things requiring payment... crying 

Thanks you smiley I'm glad to hear that! 

We are working on adding single color into the plugin and the checkout process given the amount of requests we are getting towards having the single color option so most likely we will try to launch it ASAP

• I have a question about the printing, I am not familiar with what it can do. So If I made a model with say a helmet, can the printing support transparent materials such as glass ? Just wondering if I ever wanted to print something sci fi.

I have a question about the printing, I am not familiar with what it can do. So If I made a model with say a helmet, can the printing support transparent materials such as glass ? Just wondering if I ever wanted to print something sci fi.

This is a bit tricky but can be done. One way to do it is to print the transparent parts in a transparent material then attach the different parts together but this means that the design should also be separated and it will require more time in assembly. The other way would be to print in a transparent material (as a single object) and paint all other areas that are not transparent but this will come up on the expense of durability. Both techniques are tricky but possible.

• GamePrint said:

Will be able to give a timeframe for other scales and sizes within the next few days smiley.

Waiting with bated breath!  

• djc3podjc3po Posts: 3

Hi there,

do I have access to the output files? And in what format?

TIA

Tom

djc3po said:

Hi there,

do I have access to the output files? And in what format?

TIA

Tom

Do you mean the 3D processed file? Currently No, as we do process it in a special pipeline for our production.

• djc3podjc3po Posts: 3

Aha, thanks and no thanks, I know your "special pipeline"

Thanks anyway

Tom

edited October 2017
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

What is our special pipeline that you know?

We are a technology company so a lot of what happens behind the scene is intensive CPU and GPU processing of the mesh structure to get it to a printable state, when you submit flat quads to represent hair we actually thicken it, handle intersecton, handle transperancy and we do a lot of detail extraction that does not necessarly works with what you might be using for printing.

This has been in the making for few years now by an amzing team of +75 employees of which third of them are working on the tech and all the R&D stuff, we already filed 3 patents for our technology as well so it is special.in one way or another wink

Exporting a printable file for Daz characters is on our pipeline! I can't promise a release date yet but I know that this is something a lot of people are intersted in and we want to support once it is ready to work universally, I will push hard to get it out once it is ready.

If you are intersted then I can put you on the closed beta list and once the feature is ready then will send an invite for you smiley

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,581
    GamePrint said:
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

We are a technology company so a lot of what happens behind the scene is intensive CPU and GPU processing of the mesh structure to get it to a printable state, when you submit flat quads to represent hair we actually thicken it, handle intersecton, handle transperancy and we do a lot of detail extraction that does not necessarly works with what you might be using for printing.

This has been in the making for few years now by an amzing team of +75 employees of which third of them are working on the tech and all the R&D stuff, we already filed 3 patents for our technology as well so it is special.in one way or another wink

Exporting a printable file for Daz characters is on our pipeline! I can't promise a release date yet but I know that this is something a lot of people are intersted in and we want to support once it is ready to work universally, I will push hard to get it out once it is ready.

If you are intersted then I can put you on the closed beta list and once the feature is ready then will send an invite for you smiley

Considering Daz's stance on 3d printing for personal use only, and the ones that keep wanting a plugin to make Daz files ready for 3D printing so they don't have to do the work, such as your own. Would Daz actually allow the creation and sale of a plugin that would bypass your printing service and let users do what they want with the ready for print formats? If so, I really don't see that as a win for either one of you.

GamePrint said:
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

Considering Daz's stance on 3d printing for personal use only, and the ones that keep wanting a plugin to make Daz files ready for 3D printing so they don't have to do the work, such as your own. Would Daz actually allow the creation and sale of a plugin that would bypass your printing service and let users do what they want with the ready for print formats? If so, I really don't see that as a win for either one of you.

Thats a valid good point indecision 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Until people stare at colorful spaghetti and blobby messes and realize they just blew a grand for their troubles.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited October 2017
    GamePrint said:
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

Why wouldn't they? 3D printing is already allowable and Mixed Dimensions could just release software that works with object files without DS integration at all. Having more options is good. There's no way to "bypass" the printing service that doesn't already exist. One can already print their own models with consumer printers and theoretically spend tens of thousands of dollars on high end equipment, training, R&D, and setup if they wanted. I don't see a 3D printing conversion utility competing in any way. (Also, I really dislike the approach of trying to stop people from creating a thing that works with your system because it might be competition. DAZ's walled garden approach to HD is not something I ever want to see again.)

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • GamePrint said:
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

Why wouldn't they? 3D printing is already allowable and Mixed Dimensions could just release software that works with object files without DS integration at all. Having more options is good. There's no way to "bypass" the printing service that doesn't already exist. One can already print their own models with consumer printers and theoretically spend tens of thousands of dollars on high end equipment, training, R&D, and setup if they wanted. I don't see a 3D printing conversion utility competing in any way. (Also, I really dislike the approach of trying to stop people from creating a thing that works with your system because it might be competition. DAZ's walled garden approach to HD is not something I ever want to see again.)

Currently, the Gameprint team has a on-line tool called makeprintable (makeprintable.com) that can convert most obj files into files that are printable on 3d printers.   You can always export obj files and generate printable files use tools like makeprintable or netfab and then print them using your homeprinter or a service.  The challenge is that these tools are generic in that it will try to do the best job of making obj and stl files solid to print.  The challenge with characters is that the same alogrothm that will thicken up clothing or hair to make it printable will also remove the delicated details found in the face and the hands.   Most files, especially DAZ files, requires a significant amount of rework, even after using tools like makeprintable to optimize it for character printing.   Another challenge is that each printer is a unique beast.  A setting for one printer may not work for another.  I've own and used many of the most popular onder $3,000 printers including: Makerbots (multiple generations), Type A, XYZ, Ulitmaker, Flashforge, Dremel and Formlabs.  All of these have different qualities and tradeoffs: price vs speed vs build volume vs resolution vs durability (of materials) vs variety (of materials).  Each require special tweeking to get the most out of them.  I've also used many of the 3d tools including Autodesk (including 3DSMax, Mudd, Netfabb), ZBrush, photoshop, Poser, DAZ and found that you really have to know both the strengths and limitations of each tool paired with each printer to maximize the output.  That's also true of using services such as Gameprint, Sculpteo, UPS and Shapeways.

Let me show you.

The first series is a model I made of a female soldier.  The first image is the render, the second is the unpainted result of a home 3D sub $400 printer after being fixed using both makeprintable and Netfabb and the twin soldier are 5-7" models 3d printed and painted by the gameprint team.

The next picture is a fixed  6" model using Makeprintable printed using a $3500 Formlabs 2 printer and 11" model printed in Polished White Nylon using the printing service of Sculpteo.  The price of the Sculpteo model ranged from $407 for economy printing (time delayed) or $581 (normal print schedule) - this is for monochrome, unpainted.  The finish of the Formlabs is much smoother than the Polished White Nylon and shows details much better.  Nevertheless, if you look closely at both faces (especially the eyes), you will see a signficant lost of detail due to the fixing process.  The next model, is a model I attempted to print using a formlabs printer by simply running it through makeprintable and netfabb without any manual fixing and adjustment to the printer file.  This is a very difficult model to print because of the detail need to print the robotic section of the cyborg and the hair.  Notice that many of the plating on the cyborg is torn because the surface model was too thin.  The same is true for the hair.  I could use a thicker setting, but then I would lose all of the delicate details of the face, the hair and the robot.   This model will require an hour or two of a trained 3d artist who understands the limitation of the specific printer that the object is being printed on and the materials being used.

Sometimes I use my home printers to do a test print to see if I like the pose and the figure but, even if painted, cannot give you the same quality of output as a professionally fixed, cleaned, primed and painted figure.

Soldier.png
    1500 x 2471 - 6M
    IMG_7988 copy.jpg
    437 x 901 - 336K
    Soldier2.jpg
    2048 x 1365 - 144K
    17357210_10155102612247498_1500597899_o.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 184K
    Cyborg1.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 100K
    cyborg2.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 113K
    cyborg3.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 107K
    cyborg4.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 101K
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    ggartist said:
    GamePrint said:
    djc3po said:

Thanks anyway

Tom

Currently, the Gameprint team has a on-line tool called makeprintable (makeprintable.com) that can convert most obj files into files that are printable on 3d printers.   You can always export obj files and generate printable files use tools like makeprintable or netfab and then print them using your homeprinter or a service.  The challenge is that these tools are generic in that it will try to do the best job of making obj and stl files solid to print.  The challenge with characters is that the same alogrothm that will thicken up clothing or hair to make it printable will also remove the delicated details found in the face and the hands.   Most files, especially DAZ files, requires a significant amount of rework, even after using tools like makeprintable to optimize it for character printing.   Another challenge is that each printer is a unique beast.  A setting for one printer may not work for another.  I've own and used many of the most popular onder $3,000 printers including: Makerbots (multiple generations), Type A, XYZ, Ulitmaker, Flashforge, Dremel and Formlabs.  All of these have different qualities and tradeoffs: price vs speed vs build volume vs resolution vs durability (of materials) vs variety (of materials).  Each require special tweeking to get the most out of them.  I've also used many of the 3d tools including Autodesk (including 3DSMax, Mudd, Netfabb), ZBrush, photoshop, Poser, DAZ and found that you really have to know both the strengths and limitations of each tool paired with each printer to maximize the output.  That's also true of using services such as Gameprint, Sculpteo, UPS and Shapeways.

Let me show you.

The first series is a model I made of a female soldier.  The first image is the render, the second is the unpainted result of a home 3D sub $400 printer after being fixed using both makeprintable and Netfabb and the twin soldier are 5-7" models 3d printed and painted by the gameprint team.

The next picture is a fixed  6" model using Makeprintable printed using a $3500 Formlabs 2 printer and 11" model printed in Polished White Nylon using the printing service of Sculpteo.  The price of the Sculpteo model ranged from $407 for economy printing (time delayed) or $581 (normal print schedule) - this is for monochrome, unpainted.  The finish of the Formlabs is much smoother than the Polished White Nylon and shows details much better.  Nevertheless, if you look closely at both faces (especially the eyes), you will see a signficant lost of detail due to the fixing process.  The next model, is a model I attempted to print using a formlabs printer by simply running it through makeprintable and netfabb without any manual fixing and adjustment to the printer file.  This is a very difficult model to print because of the detail need to print the robotic section of the cyborg and the hair.  Notice that many of the plating on the cyborg is torn because the surface model was too thin.  The same is true for the hair.  I could use a thicker setting, but then I would lose all of the delicate details of the face, the hair and the robot.   This model will require an hour or two of a trained 3d artist who understands the limitation of the specific printer that the object is being printed on and the materials being used.

Sometimes I use my home printers to do a test print to see if I like the pose and the figure but, even if painted, cannot give you the same quality of output as a professionally fixed, cleaned, primed and painted figure.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this, it’s the type of information and samples I’ve been hoping to see for some time; very informative, and  much appreciated. 

— Walt Sterdan

• I think the other thing to note, is that each model is painted by a human artist, not by a machine, or part of a process.  As such, each figurine is a unqiue piece of art that is derived from the 3d model and textures and then interpreted through the talent of the artist.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,162

these look fantastic,looking forward to printing some of my own creations.

I see mention of texture extraction but also of hand painting?..is it a little of both or one or the other?..how faithfull is the painting to the textures?

edited October 2017

There is nothing that prevents anyone from trying out MakePrintable to get a solid model as an STL file to print but as ggartist mentioned, the current available MakePrintable technology is generic and not optimized for Daz given the complexity of Daz characters, what we did over the past 2 years was to build a pipeline optimized for Daz characters as following:

1. Once the model is uploaded we run what we call the ultra fix (10X the resolution of what currently online with MakePrintable and uses a newer version of our Mammoth repair technology). It is optimized for our targeted printers and materials
    2. We run other algorithms designed specificly to extract details from the textures into the surface of the model (normalmap, diffuse map, alpha map).
    3. Point 1 and 2 happens before you submit your order and once you submit your order then we review and check manually for any issues.
    4. Run the algorithms again with different settings if needed until we are satisfied with the results.
    5. Pick up the best type of resin for the print job.
    6. Print and if the print fails we do print again until we get the job done (we handle all the risk here).
    7. Cleanup and assemble.
    8. Prime and paint.
    9. Check quality.
    10. Package.
    11. Ship.
    12. Customer service.

If you notice from ggartist reply, we got to a level of cost optimization that allows us to deliver a full hand painted high quality print with a retail price lower than a single color 3D print on any of the major printing services, it took us time to get to this state plus if you try to print home and the print fails then there is a cost associated with it (time, material, effort, stress, etc..), getting a failed print is very annoying and costly. If we are going to deliver the exporter then we do prefer to deliver an exporter that is satisfactory to the Daz community. Most of MakePrintable users are hardcore 3D printing users who understand that issues might happen with a 3D printer and during a print, they are used to it and live that stressful experience on a day to day basis, MakePrintable makes their lives easier but still we can't guarantee the slicer or printer will fail to take our solid file into the physical world correctly or the user didn't use right settings during the repair process. If and when we launch an exporter we will make sure it is a seamless experience with a very high sucess rate.

I see mention of texture extraction but also of hand painting?..is it a little of both or one or the other?..how faithfull is the painting to the textures?

Yes, it is a little of both and as you can see from the images we try our best to deliver the highest quality possible of your order and even before your order is processed our production team will let you know what you might expect in case a texture is super detailed for a hand paint job. 

what about normal and displacement maps,does that type of surface detail get printed also?

what about normal and displacement maps,does that type of surface detail get printed also?

Yes but as long as it is of high quality, if the result of extraction is not satisfactory then we either try to tweak the extraction settings until the result is good or we skip it but in general all textures in Daz are high quality. 

sounds good,thanks!

sounds good,thanks!

Welcome anytime :D

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    GamePrint said:

There is nothing that prevents anyone from trying out MakePrintable to get a solid model as an STL file to print but as ggartist mentioned, the current available MakePrintable technology is generic and not optimized for Daz given the complexity of Daz characters, what we did over the past 2 years was to build a pipeline optimized for Daz characters as following:

1. Once the model is uploaded we run what we call the ultra fix (10X the resolution of what currently online with MakePrintable and uses a newer version of our Mammoth repair technology). It is optimized for our targeted printers and materials
    2. We run other algorithms designed specificly to extract details from the textures into the surface of the model (normalmap, diffuse map, alpha map).
    3. Point 1 and 2 happens before you submit your order and once you submit your order then we review and check manually for any issues.
    4. Run the algorithms again with different settings if needed until we are satisfied with the results.
    6. Print and if the print fails we do print again until we get the job done (we handle all the risk here).
    7. Cleanup and assemble.
    8. Prime and paint.
    9. Check quality.
    10. Package.
    11. Ship.
    12. Customer service.

If you notice from ggartist reply, we got to a level of cost optimization that allows us to deliver a full hand painted high quality print with a retail price lower than a single color 3D print on any of the major printing services, it took us time to get to this state plus if you try to print home and the print fails then there is a cost associated with it (time, material, effort, stress, etc..), getting a failed print is very annoying and costly. If we are going to deliver the exporter then we do prefer to deliver an exporter that is satisfactory to the Daz community. Most of MakePrintable users are hardcore 3D printing users who understand that issues might happen with a 3D printer and during a print, they are used to it and live that stressful experience on a day to day basis, MakePrintable makes their lives easier but still we can't guarantee the slicer or printer will fail to take our solid file into the physical world correctly or the user didn't use right settings during the repair process. If and when we launch an exporter we will make sure it is a seamless experience with a very high sucess rate.

Yes, it is a little of both and as you can see from the images we try our best to deliver the highest quality possible of your order and even before your order is processed our production team will let you know what you might expect in case a texture is super detailed for a hand paint job. 

Thanks very much for the detailed information on your process, it sure sounds like you’re earning every penny. 

I’ve put the plug-in into my cart, but I’m not sure how soon I’ll be purchasing a print. I think the price is absolutely fair for what you do and for what the end user received. My problem (sadly) is that I can’t justify the current price for a single model (again, not your fault — your prices are excellent). With my current budget, I’d probably buy a 3.5 to 4-inch model every month if the price was closer to $100 or so. In the meantime, I’ll start saving... wink

— Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:
    GamePrint said:

7. Cleanup and assemble.
    8. Prime and paint.
    9. Check quality.
    10. Package.
    11. Ship.
    12. Customer service.

Thanks very much for the detailed information on your process, it sure sounds like you’re earning every penny. 

I’ve put the plug-in into my cart, but I’m not sure how soon I’ll be purchasing a print. I think the price is absolutely fair for what you do and for what the end user received. My problem (sadly) is that I can’t justify the current price for a single model (again, not your fault — your prices are excellent). With my current budget, I’d probably buy a 3.5 to 4-inch model every month if the price was closer to $100 or so. In the meantime, I’ll start saving... wink

— Walt Sterdan

Hi Walt,

No worries smiley we will do our best in order to reduce the cost of every step we do without affecting the quality of the prints, hopefully we can cut the cost down into a price range that can be more affordable to everyone, consider it part of our job wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,852

well I placed my order laugh

th3Digit said:

well I placed my order laugh

Hey,

Yes! I jusr saw it smiley the team is checking it out and it should be approved soon wink it looks amazing btw and can't wait to see it printed myself!