Problem with Sequenced png for animated texture

Hi - I rendered out a png sequence to use as an animated texture inside of C8.5 pro.

When choosing the texture, i used the dropdown twirlie/arrow to choose sequenced png instead of regular png -  but the animation didn't show up - just a still of the first frame.

upon looking down below in the timeline, I navigated to Master Shaders and found a setting called 'Movie Time' which was at 0 all the way across the timeline.

By animating this, i was able to get my animated texture to work - but this requires a bit of fiddling (need to go back to check the exact length of the animation to the frame and then go that that point in timeline and adjust Movie Time parameter, which ends up being trial and error because it's not simply typing in a value like 100%.

I assumed that the animated texture should apply itself automatically - is that not the case?  Is there a simple way to make sure the timing is exactly on?  (in my case, this will be playing tin a music video and things need to sync up)

Thanks

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

You should'nt have this problem if you convert your .png seq. in an "Uncompressed .AVI", no need to add a keyframe at the end and the timing is still exact.

• I generally prefer to render image sequences - though understand uncompressed AVI coulds simplify workflow in this specific instance.

So is this the expected/typical behavior when using png sequences? (or jpeg sequences) - that you have to manualy go in to animate the shader?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited October 2017

Hi - I rendered out a png sequence to use as an animated texture inside of C8.5 pro.

When choosing the texture, i used the dropdown twirlie/arrow to choose sequenced png instead of regular png -  but the animation didn't show up - just a still of the first frame.

upon looking down below in the timeline, I navigated to Master Shaders and found a setting called 'Movie Time' which was at 0 all the way across the timeline.

By animating this, i was able to get my animated texture to work - but this requires a bit of fiddling (need to go back to check the exact length of the animation to the frame and then go that that point in timeline and adjust Movie Time parameter, which ends up being trial and error because it's not simply typing in a value like 100%.

I assumed that the animated texture should apply itself automatically - is that not the case?  Is there a simple way to make sure the timing is exactly on?  (in my case, this will be playing tin a music video and things need to sync up)

Thanks

Yes. 

Please be aware that large resolution image sequences can take some time for the system to fully load in and work with.

Here's how to do this stuff:

• Be sure to always know how many frames are in your image sequence
    • Decide how many times you need the sequence to loop, rounding up 
    • Sequence Frame Total x Total Number of Loops = Where (in total number of frames) along the timeline to go to
    • (30 frame sequence for 9.278 seconds @ 30 fps, go to the 10 second mark on the timeline)
    • At that point on the timeline, be sure that the sequence player for the image sequence is set to the END of the sequence
    • Select the tweener for that Image Sequence  - shader, backdrop, etc., whatever it is
    • Set the tweener to Oscillate > Sawtooth and set the number of oscillations accordingly

yes wink Should do the trick for ya!

Keep in mind what I said earlier - sometimes patience is required for all of the sequences to load into memory (or whatever) before the player becomes fully responsive. Forcing it to do something before it's done loading everything might cause an unexpected change along the player's tmeline or add an unexpected tweener somewhere... just be aware of that to help troubleshoot potential issues down the road. Sometime I just start a new shader and start over again for simplicity - this time going and making coffee immediately after adding the sequence to the Texture Map slot (giving the system some much needed time) ;)

If there are still issues or questions, let me know.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on