How to export Genesis 8 (Michael8) character for a Mixamo Import ?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying so bad to import a Genesis 8 Character (Michael 8 to be precise) into Mixamo. I know it's possible because this guy actually did it :

After searching the forum and following many tutorials I've found around without any success. I'm coming here and you guys are my last hope.

What's the magical FBX export setup to upload the character on Mixamo ?

Thx for your help

best.
william

Comments

• TlameteotlTlameteotl Posts: 32
    edited October 2017

Hello:

I am trying to do it the same thing, I use the genesis 3 to Genesis 8 pose converted, it comes with a pose corrector that changes the A pose of Genesis 8 to a T pose, I aplied to the Genesis 8 figure and then I exported (without lashes) to .FBX and then to Mixamo. The problem I have is that the arms was distorted, like a soft spaguetti. When I send it back to Daz, the arms are in a wrong position. Still working on a solution, but it is posible to load a G8 figure in Mixamo.

One image removed https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest

2017-10-14 (1).png
    1366 x 768 - 336K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • KravenKraven Posts: 16

Hey William,

I got it to work with some success (animations might need a little adjusting).  I used FBX Binary 2014 and got Vicky 8 to upload.  I also took off her eyelashes just in case.

Hope this helps

CaptureDaz.JPG
    366 x 598 - 37K
  • DMindsDMinds Posts: 47

OMG it works thank you so much Kraven :)

• I did the same thing with default gen 8 and got this message, any idaes?

chrome_2018-03-07_12-27-00.png
    556 x 207 - 6K
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited April 2018
    Kraven said:

Hey William,

I got it to work with some success (animations might need a little adjusting).  I used FBX Binary 2014 and got Vicky 8 to upload.  I also took off her eyelashes just in case.

Hope this helps

Hey, it worked! I uploaded the Genesis 8 Dev Load with your exact settings and it worked just fine. Thanks a lot.

Edit - It does not seem to like the standard Genesis 8 Female or Genesis 8 Male figures but it has no problem with using the Dev Load figures. I know the Dev Load removes all morphs (Yes, the basic characters do have some morphs enabled) so that might be why it fails with those. It's not a problem though as the animations work fine with the normal characters once imported. So yeah, use Dev Load.

Post edited by Harry Dresden on
  • contact-2773972contact-2773972 Posts: 15
    edited July 2018

Hi, i still have problems with G8 with mixamo even if I use Dev load figures. I've spent hours and hours without success. Can someone upload a G8 FBX file ready to be sent in Mixamo on a server ? It would be very nice. Thank you !

Post edited by contact-2773972 on
  • gummby8gummby8 Posts: 26

Having the same problems

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

Hi, i still have problems with G8 with mixamo even if I use Dev load figures. I've spent hours and hours without success. Can someone upload a G8 FBX file ready to be sent in Mixamo on a server ? It would be very nice. Thank you !

No one can load any part of a DAZ package to a server for sharing purposes, that is a copyright violation and against the EULA.

So why do you need to uplaod a G8 figure to mixamo, out of curiosity, it's already rigged.

• gummby8gummby8 Posts: 26
    edited July 2018

No one can load any part of a DAZ package to a server for sharing purposes, that is a copyright violation and against the EULA.

So why do you need to uplaod a G8 figure to mixamo, out of curiosity, it's already rigged.

For the THOUSANDS of free animations, unless you have a way to get the animations from Mixamo to work in Daz3d on the gen 8 rig

Post edited by gummby8 on
  • Thank you gummby.

So, does anyone has another solution to get Mixamo free animations to work with G8 please ???

• Sorry for the necropost, but since I couldn't find anything reliable on the web I thought I'd share my experiences with G8 and Mixamo as I've been testing Daz characters with Mixamo animations in Unreal Engine 4.

For me the key seems to be to use the following steps:

• Under Parameters ->Character->General->Transforms->Mesh Resolution ensure that Resolution Level is set to 'Base'. High Resolution will almost always result in an import failure.
    • Export the Character as an Obj. Use the Daz Studio Preset.
    • Delete the character in the scene and then Import the Obj you just exported.
    • Go to the surfaces tab and remap the textures.
    • Export as FBX 2012 Binary (settings picture attached)
    • Upload to Mixamo

Again, my goal was to be able to import the Mesh, animation, and textures into Unreal without a ton of retargeting of meshes. If you're just looking to see how the animations work with G8 in Mixamo, you can simply export as a custom Obj then upload the Obj to Mixamo without doing the reimport.  There may be a way to consistently just export an FBX then import into Mixamo but I haven't been successful whatsoever with the dozens of settings with both FBX 2014 and 2012 that I've tried.

Hope this helps!

fbx export options.png
    529 x 695 - 31K
  • Does any exported Daz character need to be in a t-pose to work in Mixamo?

• defshock said:

Sorry for the necropost, but since I couldn't find anything reliable on the web I thought I'd share my experiences with G8 and Mixamo as I've been testing Daz characters with Mixamo animations in Unreal Engine 4.

For me the key seems to be to use the following steps:

• Under Parameters ->Character->General->Transforms->Mesh Resolution ensure that Resolution Level is set to 'Base'. High Resolution will almost always result in an import failure.
    • Export the Character as an Obj. Use the Daz Studio Preset.
    • Delete the character in the scene and then Import the Obj you just exported.
    • Go to the surfaces tab and remap the textures.
    • Export as FBX 2012 Binary (settings picture attached)
    • Upload to Mixamo

Again, my goal was to be able to import the Mesh, animation, and textures into Unreal without a ton of retargeting of meshes. If you're just looking to see how the animations work with G8 in Mixamo, you can simply export as a custom Obj then upload the Obj to Mixamo without doing the reimport.  There may be a way to consistently just export an FBX then import into Mixamo but I haven't been successful whatsoever with the dozens of settings with both FBX 2014 and 2012 that I've tried.

Hope this helps!

how do you remap textures using surfacing tab? I'm not clear on that step.

• darciadarcia Posts: 0

For me the solution was to delete bones (see the screenshots + same left), export as fbx. Firstly I deleted extra bones in fingers and it was loading to mixamo successfully, but some animations was not looking good, so I deleted extra bones in arms and legs.

Capture.PNG
    619 x 854 - 193K
    Capture_2.PNG
    463 x 677 - 35K
  • corinthianscoricorinthianscori Posts: 55
    edited June 2019
    darcia said:

For me the solution was to delete bones (see the screenshots + same left), export as fbx. Firstly I deleted extra bones in fingers and it was loading to mixamo successfully, but some animations was not looking good, so I deleted extra bones in arms and legs.

• Just want to confirm that this method is a success without a single flaw in execution.
    • T-pose of Genesis 8 does not matter one bit
    • and no external software or plugins needed.

itsalive.jpg
    1732 x 964 - 615K
    Post edited by corinthianscori on
  • vvelascovvelasco Posts: 0
    darcia said:

This works!

You're a saviour

• darcia said:

Thanks a lot, that works quite well,

• Not sure if it's the fact that I have hair, eyebrows, eyelashes and a beard but this doesn't work for me. I deleted the bones. No luck.

• tumiscuhel6834tumiscuhel6834 Posts: 6
    edited January 2020

How do you then import the animations to Daz? I tried as a Mixamo, but after importing I Just have the figure and it doesn't seem to have any animation associated with it in the Animation / Animate2 windows

Post edited by tumiscuhel6834 on
  • The trick with deleting the bones worked today for me based on g8m dev.

I had to learn how to delete bones from here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/132666/how-to-delete-bones

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited April 2020

I just delete the eyelashes and export as OBJ and it works without all these shenanigans, and in mixamo it all works.

Importing Mixamo animations in DAZ for Genesis 8: 

Once you have uploaded and rigged your Genesis 8 in Mixamo, you need to download it (without animations, with T-pose). Let's call this model G8-MIXAMO-RIG as well as some animations (without skin).

Then you also need to export as FBX your character from DAZ without eyelashes (G8-DAZ-RIG).

1. Import G8-DAZ-RIG into MotionBuilder and re-rig the character as shown in Converting FBX Animations to work in Daz Studio for Genesis 8 [from the beginning to 8:28on YouTube (it's from the DAZ channel by the way!). You also need to put your character in T-pose as shown.
    2. FOR THE HANDS: Do NOT connect the carpal bones. Connect the 3 thumb bones, and 3 bones for each finger in their corresponding white slots (not the grey ones). Do not connect the feet toes, they are not used.
    3. Do not import any animations yet [stop the video for now, but you'll need the end later]. Save the Project (file > save as).
    4. Now, you need to import (Merge, or create a new file) your G8-MIXAMO-RIG in MotionBuilder too.
    5. You need to also rig this new character in the Motionbuilder system as shown in Alternative to transfering rootmotion for Mixamo animations using MotionBuilder [from the beginning to 16:30].
    6. There, it shows you how to rig a mixamo rig for motionbuilder (at first). That's what you need along with some other useful info.
    7. Now, make sure you have in one file both the G8 from DAZ (rigged for MotionBuilder), and the G8 from Mixamo (also rigged for Motionbuilder).
    8. Merge a MIXAMO animation in MotionBuilder in it will automatically be applied to the Mixamo Rigged character. Now follow the end of the Converting FBX Animations to work in Daz Studio for Genesis 8 video [from 10:10 to the end]. It shows you everything else you need.
    9. Make sure to save your MotionBuilder file (with both rigs) so that you can convert future Mixamo animations quickly!
    10. You might need to do some minor tweaking on the hands/feet positions to get optimal results (in motionbuilder), so save multiple instances of your MotionBuilder file just in case.

Happy tweaking!

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • djroshaydjroshay Posts: 0

darcia said:

AWESOME!, so how do you delete the bones exactly?

• darcia said:

I had literal MONTHS trying to solve this and this worked PERFECTLY thank you SOOO MUCH YOU'RE A SAVIOUR