What does Collapse UV Tiles do?

Hello!

In the documentation http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/fm_exportobj the topic "Collapse UV Tiles" isn't mentioned.

Can anybody tell me what this option actually does?

Thank you very much.

Post edited by johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2017

It will take figures mapped with UDIM style mapping and stack all of the tiles so that they're all on top of one another in the 0,1 range. It can cause quite the jumbled mess.

Take a look at my post here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58159/previous-uvs-vs-udim-a-visual
    That spread out layout is UDIM, the messy one is what it would look like if you were to collapse them.

As far as main Daz figures go, only Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 figures are UDIM. The rest are stacked by default. See my sig if you want UV sets to get Genesis 1 and 2 UDIM style.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Thank you very much!

• edited September 2017

Sorry for the question... I understand the readme in your UDIM UV set so that I don't have to actually do anything after putting the files into the appropriate folder.

I don't have to use "Load UV Set", right? Sorry, it wasn't perfectly clear, and my directories are a bit unusal, so I don't really know if may be an issue with DAZ not finding the files.

When I export the model, I just have to make sure that "Collapse UV Tiles" isn't checked, right?

Thanks again.

ps: When I click Surfaces on the right pane and search for "UV Set", I can only select "Base Female".

edited September 2017

No, you don't need to use the load uv set option, that's for uv set creation purposes. My package is only if using Genesis 1 or 2. If using Genesis 3 or 8 they come with their uvs in UDIM already, so their default UVs will be sufficient.

Correct, when using any type of UDIM layout, do NOT collapse the tiles. That option makes using UDIM pointless.

• This means when I don't do anything special and simply import G2F as an obj, and I load it into ZBrush, it should show anything but a totally overlapping UV, right?

For me, it doesn't do that. The UVs still appear as overlapping as usual.

Could you still give me a kickstart and tell me if I'm missing something before I start what might have gone wrong on my system?

Thank you again.

Zbrush might have something internally that collapses UVs, possibly an import setting? I don't own or use Zbrush so I can't help you on that front.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

G2F doesn't use UDIM, so it's already 'collapsed'...

It's only effective on Genesis 3 and later.

mjc1016 said:

G2F doesn't use UDIM, so it's already 'collapsed'...

It's only effective on Genesis 3 and later.

I think he's trying to export it with my UDIM layout for G2F in tact. At least that's what I gathered.

• edited September 2017

I would like to open the G2F model in a third party software like Mari or ZBrush and texture it there.

In Mari, it doesn't work because Mari uses the collapsed UV maps, I found no way to make G2F keep the separate maps.

Or maybe I did (I don't remember, but I will check), but in the end, Mari would save out like hundred different maps because it would put each surface into its own map.

I was hoping that your new UVs would simply create a 4-5 different maps that are not collapsed when I export it.

That's why I was asking what Collapse UV Tiles does. I was thinking that not activating this option might keep the 4-5 maps (which I see in G2F in DAZ) separate and not collapsed.

However, that wouldn't work for me.

• For G3 or G8 in Zbrush - I have been sending it over the bridge then using Polygroups - Autogroup with UV then Merge Similar and then painting.

Once the painting is done I use Multi Map Exporter and everything seems to be in the right place

There is this video I sort of followed but I don't like video learning - it shows how to import & apply textures if you want to paint over something you have -

I hope you get things worked out I am new to using Zbrush so there may well be better ways of doing things :)

• I need to use G2F.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

G2F doesn't use UDIM UV mapping, the maps are on top of each other so you may need to use a function inside your 3D paint program to separate them.

edited September 2017

@johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 Mari does not collapse tiles. UDIM painting is one of the things it's known for.

If the UDIM set installed properly, you should see a new set called Base Female UDIM in the surfaces tab. Set that on all of the surfaces BEFORE you try to export.

Mari WILL however export a ton of maps as G2F has 9 UV tiles, so you'll end up with 9 base Colour, 9 roughness, 9 sub surface, etc. 9 of all of the types of maps you try to paint if you just export all at once. I *think* you can limit your export selection to specific tiles, though it's been a while since I've used Mari so I can't be sure.

jestmart said:

G2F doesn't use UDIM UV mapping, the maps are on top of each other so you may need to use a function inside your 3D paint program to separate them.

He already is. Read the 2nd link in my sig.

basefemudim.PNG
    379 x 172 - 9K
    basefemudim02.PNG
    466 x 525 - 60K
    basefemudim03.png
    1920 x 1028 - 247K
  • When I see the following, it's wrong, yes?

Sorry to ask you again, but I understand you wrong, or something else is confusing.

I asked you if I have to done anything, and you said no.

Then you say "Set that on all of the surfaces BEFORE you try to export.".

The word "Set" implicates that I actively need to do something, right?

edited September 2017

That's the diffuse map slot, that won't indicate stacked or udim uvs because it will look the same either way. Select all of G2F's surfaces, and type in UV above the surfaces pane where it says "Enter text to filter by". You should come up with what's shown in my first image above your post. Change it to the Base Female UDIM uv and then export.

You need to change the UV in the surfaces parameters. You asked me if you had to use Load UV Set, which is another function entirely... to that I said no.

• edited September 2017

For me it just doesn't show up.

I inspected the paths, it should be correct.

Does anybody spot any error here?

The log file shows this:

2017-00-14 21:00:33.959 Loading Startup Scene :E:\dazcontent\Content\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\Vaskania\UDIM Conversions\Base Female UDIM.dsf
    2017-00-14 21:00:34.021 *** Scene Cleared ***
    2017-00-14 21:00:34.021 WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(1303): Failed to create uv set!
    2017-00-14 21:00:34.021 File loaded in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2017-00-14 21:00:34.021 Loaded file: Base Female UDIM.dsf
    2017-00-14 21:00:34.059     Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2017-00-14 21:00:37.678 *** Scene Cleared ***

I'm using Unity 4.9.2.70 64bit.

• Just an add-on:

I checked Mari again, and the problem isn't the painting on the textures, that works fine.

But I don't manage to save them as they were, for example "V5BreeFaceM.jpg", etc.

Mari merges everything into 1 UDIM.

• @Vaskania  Do your new UVs work for you in later versions of DAZ?
    I'm asking because for me, they don't.
    I posted an error log in my previous reply.

• I've now found out that this is a bug in DAZ.

When I export the original UVs and try to re-import it, I get the same parser error.

I will report this bug.

edited October 2017

@johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 Yes, they do. Without issue.

/edit This is your problem -- "2017-00-14 21:00:33.959 Loading Startup Scene :E:\dazcontent\Content\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\Vaskania\UDIM Conversions\Base Female UDIM.dsf" 
    I was able to reproduce your error if I tried to open my Base Female UDIM.dsf file via DS using File > Open. This is not the way you use these files if that's what you're doing.

Load the default Genesis 2 Female into your scene via your content library and use the surfaces tab to change to the uv set in the drop down as pictured above.

Mari shouldn't collapse everything into a single tile. I've used Mari Non-Commercial using these uvs perfectly fine in the past.

• edited October 2017

@Vaskania

The error also occurs when I simply load G2F.

Since the new UVs have been added to the DAZ directories, they're loaded at start up.

When you don't get the error, I guess you must be using an older version where this bug wasn't present yet.

Can you state which version of DAZ Studio you're using?

• Ok, I tried it in a sandbox, and it works...

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Thank you very much for the UVs!