Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,038
    edited April 2013

Thanks Horo for the suggestion and the links.

Guss- lovely render -I love the replicated shape. Nice going.

Lovely Birthday gift -congrats

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,165
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - oh dear, I was so wrapped up with your birthday present that I forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday, Jamie!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

This thread is moving so fast it’s hard time to keep up. All the renders are awesome and inspiring. My fav are Dan’s 9hr render on page 11 and Horo (Creek at Sunset) on page 12. I enjoyed going through all the post.

Horo and David-thanks for your lovely videos and experiments.

GussNemo –all your abstracts are awesome. I'm also having a hard time with landscaping

Horo said:
    @BlumBlumShub - welcome to this thread. Very nice use of David’s Waterfall Landscape, the dragon nicely supplements the colours.

@David - thank you for putting them up and hosting on your account.

There are transcripts of the videos on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo

@MrSilus - excellent model, excellently presented here.

@mermaid010 - interesting scene. I miss the shadows.

@GussNemo - the second one with the chromium look looks very clean and cold.

Horo I’m glad you mentioned the shadows..I missed them too, and checked my settings and everything seemed correct. Sky Lab shadows set to 100 and soft shadows to 100, Mat Lab cast, receive and self shadows are checked.

Talking about shadows, is there any way to get shadows for objects when using an Hdri as a backdrop. For this render, I used the Lake.hdr and a raft. I remember seeing a tutorial by David dealing with something similar but cant find it.

This
    Bryce 15 minute project - Blending HDRI and Render - a tutorial by David Brinnen

And that

Bryce 10 minute scene - Grass Tree Recipe - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Inspired by this test

Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Export a tree as a terrain mesh - by David Brinnen

And if I sound croaky that's because I've got a cold.

The way Jamie is going, it looks like he'll soon me giving tips to us! Well done and many happy returns!

Grass_test4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 128K
    Lake_dragon1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 102K
    edited December 1969

New tutorial from Horo. Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial - Obscure Lighting for Indoors - by Horo

Very good results he's obtained in one of the most challenging lighting conditions to be found in Bryce.

Horo_indoorOL1.jpg
    1083 x 800 - 175K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. Given that I now have a book on Bryce, Bryce 4 by Susan Kitchens and Victor Gavenda, which from what I've see so far should be in any Brycer's library, I may give landscaping another go. I've not ready the parts yet, I thumb through new books first, but there seems to be quite a lot on creating landscapes. And using the terrain editor, something that was a bit of a mystery to me. TLBKlaus, and others, have tutorials on Deviantart.com dealing with abstracts. The images I did of the sphere in the center and the arms going in six directions is one of TLBKlaus's. David and Horo also have tutorials for abstracts, one I did give a go that turned out nice.

@Horo: Thanks for the kind words, and the birthday wish. Glad you like the recent reflective image, and had I not bought Bryce 4 I would never have given any thought to using a torus in that manner. Inspiration is 99% of perspiration, and Bryce 4 is inspiration.

@David: Uh huh, maybe a few more several years and I'll be in the position of advising. But thanks for the vote of confidence, and the congrats on birthday.

As I said to Horo above, Bryce 4 has given me information I'd never have received otherwise; and this was just by thumbing through a new book. Take the follow image, it's just a torus, multi-replicated several times and rotated around axises, I forget which ones, with steel cage material. I'm already spinning the gears between my ears for this one in a reflective cube. More to come.

Torii_7_w_Steel_Cage_Material_757_x_758_1.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@David - thank you very much for hosting my humble video.

@GussNemo - ah, you're into Torii (torusesess) now. I recommend to watch this 11 minute video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87JKgroxC-M

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Ohhh, that's an interesting render Guss.

It reminds me of a fractal image I did a few years ago  --> http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1715654

edited April 2013

I forgot to mention that I have transcripts of my videos on my website (see sig) for those who struggle with my accent. Go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo and scroll down.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think your accent is lovely, and quite understandable. :coolsmile:

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

David...love the 'bunny' (aka:Mermaid's query) work - looks so great and 'nostalgic-like' that so-much-so it has suggestions of a 'bowl-stage-like' rendered image - (that is, an American 'dust bowl...etc.,') of 'olden' times.

Guss...from past posts...I suspect there's more to your latest rendered/worked submission than you care to offer: the result is truly amazing.

Jay

edited April 2013

Thanks David, the 1st image is the HDRI that I am using and the position of the Hdri is almost the same as my render. I tried the links Horo posted last night, but could not get the effect I was after. Thanks a ton.

Guss you are on the roll with the Tori replicates. I keep watching David’s and Horo’s videos, over and over again and I’m working with Robin’s tutorials. hopping from one to the other. I love Photoshop but Bryce is more fun to use.

Horo that’s a cool video explaining the tori. Thanks

Edited: I just checked out the video David, and realized that this video (1st one) was based on my image, Thanks for your help and time.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited April 2013

Hello all, here's a new Aikobot scene... titled "Run!"

@Guss, those torii look great!

runwp.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 606K
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
    edited December 1969

I am trying for bioluminescence, I am sure that David will tell me a better way of doing this, but what I did was paly around with the original texture file that came with this set, recolour and saturated it a bit, and then applied it at 100 diffuse and ambient and around 30% trans.

maginc_mushrooms_2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 231K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am trying for bioluminescence, I am sure that David will tell me a better way of doing this, but what I did was paly around with the original texture file that came with this set, recolour and saturated it a bit, and then applied it at 100 diffuse and ambient and around 30% trans.

oooh! I look forward to your experiments with this. I've been meaning to try the same thing, and recently saw a product like that appear in the store.
    I'm thinking you may want to eliminate the shadows of the mushrooms on the ground, since the mushrooms themselves are presumably the light source in the scene, unless you are also lighting them from the side with a flashlight or distant port light or something.
    I personally think the large emerald-green ones look the best; the dark ring around the edge and dark lines where the spores come out make it more believable than the blue-green large mushroom to the left or the small ones where the caps are lit by a light source coming from the left. I wonder if reducing the lighting from the top would help though.
    Google "bioluminescent mushrooms" in the image search for some reference photos, BTW.
    (Just to share how weird I am, I'm actually trying to raise some right now in my apartment. No classic mushroom-shaped mushrooms yet, but the growths that are produced do indeed glow in the dark. although your eyes have to be dark adapted a bit to see them well.)
    edited December 1969

I have to admit that at the moment they are lit by the default Bryce sun. I used that old old sky preset False Dawn, just changed the ambient colour to a bluey green instead of black. I want to build up a forest scene around them, and yes I also admit being influenced by a product that is in the store for another program.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited April 2013

chohole said:
    I am trying for bioluminescence,

That's a great idea.

It may be worth watching some of David's Obscure Light tutorials as the effect where you get objects to glow would suit your needs perfectly.

EDIT: It may be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9AM_5jOot0

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Since Dave beat me to my first suggestion, here's another angle, using curvature filtering to sense were to put ambient glow. TA transports the light around and blurred reflection as a stand in for SSS letting light transmit from inside to outside.

Also, another experimental based video Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Exporting a scene as a heightmap - by David Brinnen

Glowing_toad_stools1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 37K
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - great scene.

@Pam - good start. I'd also recommended Obscure Glow, but Dave and David were faster.

@David - that looks really good with the curvature applied.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 851
    edited December 1969

@Guss Uh, your tori thing looks really great. I think, I have to go to a quest finding your mentionned book for my shelf

@Horo I am afraid I had no time yet to watch your obscure lighting tutorial, but it looks very promising. I love the shadows in your pictures

@Chohole Nice idea. I just thought of luminous animals in the deep-sea. But mushrooms are much more cute.

edited December 1969

@Chohole Nice idea. I just thought of luminous animals in the deep-sea. But mushrooms are much more cute.

And handy for mischevious pixies to hide behind in the woods. :coolsmile:

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Since Dave beat me to my first suggestion, here's another angle, using curvature filtering to sense were to put ambient glow. TA transports the light around and blurred reflection as a stand in for SSS letting light transmit from inside to outside.

That's a good effect too... I see that one working very well on a smack* of Jelly Fishes floating in deep dark water.

* Which is apparently the correct collective noun for Jellyfishes.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: The dragon added image came out real nice, as did the bunny. The video how to do those was really well done. Your mushroom image really shines. Star field is stunning. Nice work.

@Horo: Yeah, I'm playing around with a torus and rotation. I watched your torus video some time ago, and watched it again before this posting. I realized while watching it this time my brain is on hold so I'll have to watch it again when its awake.

@Miss B: Thanks. That image you linked to is stunning, love the colors you used. Was it created using tori? It looks like it.

@mermaid: When I saw in the Bryce 4 book what could be done with a torus using multi-replicating it really peaked my interest; actually is was multi-replicating that interested me but the results using a torus didn't hurt. I do the same as you, video to video, tutorial to tutorial, trying the things I see, and once in a while something works or sticks to my gray matter.

@TLBKlaus: Thank you. With the two skeletons in those cabinets, Run for the title is really appropriate. That's a real nice image.

@Pam: Love the luminescent mushrooms. I did though wonder about the shadows, as someone mentioned. But if intended, they're intended. Hope to see the entire scene when it's done.

@elctro: I ordered Bryce 4 by Susan Kitchens and Victor Gavenda from Amazon. The vendor I purchased it from charged me $16.55 plus shipping. Not a bad price, since the price on the back cover of the book is $54.95. I've read here and there in the book and have learned quite a lot. Especially about creating landscapes. Putting it into practice will take, practice.

@Jay: I don't understand your saying there's more than I care to share concerning my multi-replicated torus image. I'd be happy to provide more information if anyone has more questions. Or any questions. That torus image is actually the result of wondering what would result if this or that was done before using the multi-replicate function. And what material would look best on the results.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@elctro: I ordered Bryce 4 by Susan Kitchens and Victor Gavenda from Amazon. The vendor I purchased it from charged me $16.55 plus shipping. Not a bad price, since the price on the back cover of the book is $54.95. I've read here and there in the book and have learned quite a lot. Especially about creating landscapes. Putting it into practice will take, practice.

I had also purchased through Amazon 5 years ago and ended up at twice the regular price: $100. Nevertheless, even if this is theft, it is well worth the price.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo for the information. I will have a look at Amazon

edited April 2013

Thanks Guss and Horo for the information. I will have a look at Amazon

Addendum: I have just look it up at Amazon and a seller wrote something about a CD, that was missing. Does this book really comes with a CD?

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

It used to when it was brand new.

edited December 1969

Here’s my take after viewing David’s video.

Bryce 15 minute project - Blending HDRI and Render - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I tried both methods and I’m happy with the results. However comments, suggestions are always appreciated.

lakeaddingshadows2.jpg
    650 x 650 - 67K
    lakeaddingshadows1.jpg
    650 x 650 - 66K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I tried both methods and I’m happy with the results. However comments, suggestions are always appreciated.

It seems as though perhaps the background image is somewhat faded, like an older photo, however the dock is not faded as much, making it stand out more than expected?
    edited December 1969

It seems as though perhaps the background image is somewhat faded, like an older photo, however the dock is not faded as much, making it stand out more than expected?

Agreed, you've got the method now there is the fiddling with the matching between HDRI and render. If you don't tonemap the HDRI this gives it a lot more contrast. Otherwise, you might have to de-saturate your colours for your model and take some intensity out of the shadows.

edited December 1969

Addendum: I have just look it up at Amazon and a seller wrote something about a CD, that was missing. Does this book really comes with a CD?

Yes, mine came with the CD.

@mermaid010 - i just come back from there, at that spot I spotted a fish, not thart floating thing :) Nicely done.

@Sean Riesch - that's a bit of a problem with tone-mapping. Reinhard's Photographic tone-mapper (the one built into Bryce) usually gives quite good results but somethimes a bit low contrast. I would, in this case, also desaturate the model and ajust reflection, then add a bit more contrast in post.

Using the linearly tone-mapped HDRI as backdrop may give too high contrast, though it is mandatory for space scenes. Lowering contrast in post is often very difficult - it depends on what is visible of the HDRI. In mermaid's case, it might work.

Below at left, rendered without tone-mapping (actually, linear tone-mapped, otherwise it couldn't be displayed) and at right the same image with gamma adjustment. The sky is still too bright.

lakelt.jpg
    1200 x 450 - 163K
This discussion has been closed.