Has anyone here bought a Treadripper rig and used it for Studio yet?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    kyoto kid said:
    ...well that makes my system pretty irrelevant. Nehalem i7 930 2.8GHz (4 core 8 thread). 12 GB DDR3 1333 tri channel memory (expandable to a maximun of 24 GB). 1 x 250 GB 7200 rpm boot HDD. 1 x 1 TB 7200 rpm library drive. Nvidia GT 460 GPU with 1 GB VRAM. The best I can do on my budget (without building a totally new system) is upgrade the CPU to a 6 core 980 Xtreme (or an LGA 1366 6 core Xeon) and the memory to 24 GB. Even so it would still be barely adequate based on the minimum specs for Daz 4.x. The issue with SSDs is they degrade with repetitive read/write operations which would be fairly frequent on the library drive. As to a new GPU the minimum I'd get would be a GTX 1070, however thanks to the cryptomining rush, the prices are still too volatile.

Not quite.

They degrade with write options.

When the life or an SSD is considered, or an SSD becoming unusable, this tends to relate to write options; it is considered likely they would have decades of read only operations. Electrons are locked by the write operations; reading the status of the electrons does not change it, and so does not cause any wear and tear associated with write operations.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

I keep reading Tree dripper, the typo without the H doesn't help cheeky except to stop me seeing Threa dripper I suppose or Three dripper

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited August 2017
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:
    ...well that makes my system pretty irrelevant. Nehalem i7 930 2.8GHz (4 core 8 thread). 12 GB DDR3 1333 tri channel memory (expandable to a maximun of 24 GB). 1 x 250 GB 7200 rpm boot HDD. 1 x 1 TB 7200 rpm library drive. Nvidia GT 460 GPU with 1 GB VRAM. The best I can do on my budget (without building a totally new system) is upgrade the CPU to a 6 core 980 Xtreme (or an LGA 1366 6 core Xeon) and the memory to 24 GB. Even so it would still be barely adequate based on the minimum specs for Daz 4.x. The issue with SSDs is they degrade with repetitive read/write operations which would be fairly frequent on the library drive. As to a new GPU the minimum I'd get would be a GTX 1070, however thanks to the cryptomining rush, the prices are still too volatile.

Not quite.

When the life or an SSD is considered, or an SSD becoming unusable, this tends to relate to write options; it is considered likely they would have decades of read only operations. Electrons are locked by the write operations; reading the status of the electrons does not change it, and so does not cause any wear and tear associated with write operations.

...for myself, it is a relevant situation as the "Library drive" is also where I save my rendered images and tests to.  All  I have on the Boot frive is the OS, applications, and system utilities ti keep it as lean as possible.  I never use the C:/Documents oe Pictures folder for anything.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:

Not quite.

...for myself, it is a relevant situation as the "Library drive" is also where I save my rendered images and tests to.  All  I have on the Boot frive is the OS, applications, and system utilities ti keep it as lean as possible.  I never use the C:/Documents oe Pictures folder for anything.

SSDs are not nearly as fragile as they were years ago.  Also Windows automatically detects them and optimizes for them too.  They are so much faster I'll never buy or build a desktop or laptop without anymore.  Yuge productivity boost.

https://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I'm about ready to decide what to replace my trusty 500GB WD Velociraptor with... (5 year warranty is up in November... crying)  And they are no longer in production, otherwise I would snatch a new one up in a heartbeat.

I'm honestly looking at getting a M.2 PCIe card and a NVMe M.2 card for my OS drive.  (already looked at the info on my workstation, it will not rob any of my video card PCIe lanes)

edited August 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:

Not quite.

SSDs are not nearly as fragile as they were years ago.  Also Windows automatically detects them and optimizes for them too.  They are so much faster I'll never buy or build a desktop or laptop without anymore.  Yuge productivity boost.

https://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/

...where I see SSDs very useful is in notebooks as they are not susceptible to jostling like a mechanical HDD. In a statuonary system this advantage is lost. Cost wise, HDDs are still offer "more bytes for the buck". A 1 TB SSD retails for an average of 350$ to 425$ while a 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD is around 60$. Both my HDDs have been running fine for nearly five years now. There has been little to no degridation in performance. For the price of that 1 TB SSD, I can get 4x the capacity on an HDD.
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562
    edited August 2017

I'm probably in the same boat of many people thinking about upgrading my system, but power prices have recently skyrocketed where I live (Australia) and I'm wondering if anyone knows if power consumption becomes a significant issue with multi GPU rigs. I know the newer ones are supposed to be more enegry efficient.

Post edited by fred9803 on

That depends on what your current GPU is.
    For example, let's look at the GTX xx80 cards
    GTX 480 = 250w
    GTX 580 = 244w
    GTX 680 = 195w
    GTX 780 = 250w
    GTX 980 = 165w
    GTX 1080 = 180w

GTX 780 ti = 250w 
    GTX 980 ti = 250w
    GTX 1080 ti = 250w

On top of that, the question is how often will the GPUs be running full load vs. just being used as a web browser a GTX 1080 will probably sit under the 20w mark the whole time.

...GTX 1070 = 150 W.

I was just illustrating the power usage for similar level cards across the generations.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited August 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:

Not quite.

I get it is relevant, but even when a sectioin becomes non-writable, it can still be read from. This is presuming it's this issue and not another one that has damaged it in a way that stops any read or writes.

I only use SSDs (Documents etc are on a large capacity SSD.), but backup to mechanical drives that a re only plugged in during backup; I also pay Dropbox for more storage too. I have an SSD that is about five years old and still working fine; I retired it a few months ago, so it is now only for testing new Windows installs, but it still has no issues.

One of the benefits for me (and a big one) of SSDs - no noise. Once backups are done, my system is completely silent; sadly, when renders are running, the Strix cards make a little noise.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    JamesJAB said:

****"Get as many large GPUs as you can… 4GB or memory is a minimum, over 8GB is probably not going to be needed. Core count is critical, so if two less expensive cards give you more cores than one expensive card, go for the two cards…"****

I will need to disagree with you on this point.  Iray has a diminishing returns curve when using multiple cards.  While you would for example have more Cuda cores in two GTX 1070 cards than you have in a GTX 1080 ti, you only get a 60 to 70% render speed boost from the second card and to make it worse they do not combine VRAM so you can still only render a sceen that will fit on an 8GB card.
    The faster GTX 1080 ti, not only will is still render faster than the above pair, but you have 11GB for loading the sceen.

Maybe if you have high end Pascal based Nvidia Quadro cards the NVlink allows both cards to combine VRAM and act as one card for work loads.  Not sure if that feature is or when it will be implimented in Iray.

**Note...the 1080ti only has 9 GB of VRAM available in Windows.
  • Modern SSDs will last longer than the rest of the components in your PC before they wear out, unless you're doing something ridiculous like downloading an entire drive's worth of...movies...every week, deleting everything and repeating. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4

nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:

Not quite.

I get it is relevant, but even when a sectioin becomes non-writable, it can still be read from. This is presuming it's this issue and not another one that has damaged it in a way that stops any read or writes.

I only use SSDs (Documents etc are on a large capacity SSD.), but backup to mechanical drives that a re only plugged in during backup; I also pay Dropbox for more storage too. I have an SSD that is about five years old and still working fine; I retired it a few months ago, so it is now only for testing new Windows installs, but it still has no issues.

One of the benefits for me (and a big one) of SSDs - no noise. Once backups are done, my system is completely silent; sadly, when renders are running, the Strix cards make a little noise.

....for now I'll stick to HDDs, the case I have is so well soundproofed I don't notice.  I never ever store important data or work of mine in the cloud   I'll get another  backup HDD before that.

JamesJAB said:

****"Get as many large GPUs as you can… 4GB or memory is a minimum, over 8GB is probably not going to be needed. Core count is critical, so if two less expensive cards give you more cores than one expensive card, go for the two cards…"****

I will need to disagree with you on this point.  Iray has a diminishing returns curve when using multiple cards.  While you would for example have more Cuda cores in two GTX 1070 cards than you have in a GTX 1080 ti, you only get a 60 to 70% render speed boost from the second card and to make it worse they do not combine VRAM so you can still only render a sceen that will fit on an 8GB card.
    The faster GTX 1080 ti, not only will is still render faster than the above pair, but you have 11GB for loading the sceen.

Maybe if you have high end Pascal based Nvidia Quadro cards the NVlink allows both cards to combine VRAM and act as one card for work loads.  Not sure if that feature is or when it will be implimented in Iray.

**Note...the 1080ti only has 9 GB of VRAM available in Windows.

...on W10 (one more reason I will not "downgrade" to it).  on older versions the reserved VRAM porion is almose negligible.

Modern SSDs will last longer than the rest of the components in your PC before they wear out, unless you're doing something ridiculous like downloading an entire drive's worth of...movies...every week, deleting everything and repeating. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4

...until they come down in price I'll stick with HDDs.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2017

I've ordered the parts that I needed to build as I already have 4 MSI GTX 1070 Aeros and some extra drives I'll be using them but here's whats coming this week

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-core/32-thread) Desktop Processor (YD195XA8AEWOF) and Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler Bundle  

Thermaltake Core X9 case                                                                                                      

Alphacool NexXxoS GPX GPU Waterblock with Backplate, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 / 1070, M01, Black                          4

Thermaltake Pacific DIY LCS RL360 High Capacity D5 Res/Pump RGB Riing Fan Water Cooling Kit CL-W113-CA12SW-A                        

Thermaltake Pacific 1/2'' ID x 3/4'' OD Compression – Chrome - 6 Pack                                               

The Pacific V-Tubler 4T 6.5Ft Id 1/2In (13 Mm) Od 3/4In (19 Mm) Provides Flexibl                         

BXQINLENX Silver Chrome G 1/4" Male to Female 90° Rotary Enhance Multi-Link Adapter(4 PCS)                               3

Thermaltake Pacific DIY 1000cc Liquid Cooling System Coolant CL-W021-OS00BU-A Blue                                                                                                                                                         CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) Desktop Memory Model CMD128GX4M8B2800C14          

EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 120-G2-1600-X1 80+ GOLD 1600W Fully Modular                                                                      

ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX AMD Motherboard                         

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW    

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    ...what version of Windows are you running?
    kyoto kid said:
    ...what version of Windows are you running?

W10 if you were asking me at least until I get through checking Linux distros

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Robert I'm curious...your choice of the Threadripper...was that because you have some apps that can utilize the cores, or was it more of a "future-proof" to make your rig last longer? 

...ah. You do realise W10 reserves a sizeable amount of VRAM on CUDA based GPU cards. For a 1080 Ti it is almost 2 GB.
    ebergerly said:

Robert I'm curious...your choice of the Threadripper...was that because you have some apps that can utilize the cores, or was it more of a "future-proof" to make your rig last longer? 

A bit of both

edited August 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    ...ah. You do realise W10 reserves a sizeable amount of VRAM on CUDA based GPU cards. For a 1080 Ti it is almost 2 GB.

Yeah which is one reason I'm checking Linux distros

I run Mint on my laptop and it's the only machine that I use on the web

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    ...sticking it iut with W7 on the workstation. As it is offline no worries. So can you run the DIM on Linux? I have a Linux notebook I came into possession of which I plan to use for online work.
    edited August 2017
    ...it's too bad that Carrara doesn't run under Linux as it would use all 32 Threadripper threads for rendering (or 64 threads of an Epyc CPU)
    kyoto kid said:
    ...sticking it iut with W7 on the workstation. As it is offline no worries. So can you run the DIM on Linux? I have a Linux notebook I came into possession of which I plan to use for online work.

Yes according to what I read in the Linux thread

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    ebergerly said:

A bit of both

Thanks, but I'm curious exactly what type of apps you have that might benefit from the many CPU cores of Threadripper. I keep seeing apps that seem to benefit much more from high power GPU's rather than CPU's, but companies keep coming out with multi-threaded CPU's. 

kyoto kid said:

Yes according to what I read in the Linux thread

...excellent, thanks.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Presumably DAZ Studio when using 3DL would benefit greatly.

And while Bryce I think is limited to 8 threads, the ability to be using both Bryce and DAZ studio at the same time would be fantastic.  I could be working on two projects at once (actively working in one application while the other is rendering).

Well I was goung to comment about thread usage and dynamic cloth, but I was just suprised and dissapointed with Marvelous Designer...
    Daz Studio's Optitex Dynamic Cloth will use every single thread that you can throw at it (it will max out my 24 threads)
    Marvelous Designer on the other hand looks like it's locked down to 4 threads...