Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

true but there are some people in this forum that didn't mind a new take on it, and even people who like ENT, VOY, DS9, and TNG. to see from every post from the same handful of people saying i hate this because it's not TOS, it gets old, and discourages people from participating in this forum discussion, which is supposed to be all era's of trek.

I like NG- even DS9 and some Voyager. I can accept that the NX-01 existed, but I have problems with some of the things they did.
    The problem most of us have with Abrams, is that he didn't stick to his proposed plan. He said he wanted to create an altered timeline. OKay, fine. But he changed too many things for that explanation to work. He filmed an alternate universe and called it an altered timeline- big difference between the two.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

the only Trek I don't like is the JJ trek - watched that movie and hated the whole experience - found only one actor in it I enjoyed and that was L. Nimoy, found the visuals totally stupid, the water pipes come to mind really strongly as totally stupid as one example.

• AndypAndyp Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

the water pipes were pretty stupid, but still i go back what i am trying to say, stop preaching your hate about how you hate the other series. we get it.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Am I the only one that has enjoyed all of the Star Trek series and movies? I thought the last Star Trek movie was different, not like the rest but the franchise needed a boost and good or bad it got it. I agree with Andrewbrian, I get that you don't like the JJ Adams movie we heard enough of that on the old forum, please let it drop and move on.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Hay! We're nearing the 100 page mark.

Since not everybody reads English the way I do; would a statement like this:

You may edit, kitbash or do anything with this mesh. Just have fun with it :D

include redistribution of converted mesh with textures?

I haven't heard back yet from the original person who seems to have a very popular handle so I'm not even sure if I sent my query to the correct address.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

Amen!

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

the water pipes were pretty stupid, but still i go back what i am trying to say, stop preaching your hate about how you hate the other series. we get it.

Umm, I wasn't preaching anything, and definetly not any hate.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

I haven't heard back yet from the original person who seems to have a very popular handle so I'm not even sure if I sent my query to the correct address.

I would read that as, "You can do anything with this mesh that you wish, for personal use." I would not take the omission of an explicit restriction on redistributing it as tacit permission to do so, especially if it was purchased.

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:

I would read that as, "You can do anything with this mesh that you wish, for personal use." I would not take the omission of an explicit restriction on redistributing it as tacit permission to do so, especially if it was purchased.

Glad I asked then, thank you. No it is a free item, .max file though.
    I ran a straight conversion to .obj and then to a prop in D/S. While the programs seems to have renamed a few of the mat zones [they do weird things sometimes]; i didn't change a thing.

So "just in case" somebody knows how to reach him, or maybe he sees this and could enable release, it's David "KnightRider" Metlesits according to the readme. Thanks.

Utopia_Planitia.jpg
    600 x 600 - 39K
    edited October 2012

You can also contact him on DeviantArt: http://thefirstfleet.deviantart.com/

Mattymanx converts a lot of Dave's starship models to Poser; I'm sure he'll probably say, "Okey-dokey" :cheese:.

Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    You can also contact him on DeviantArt: http://thefirstfleet.deviantart.com/

Mattymanx converts a lot of Dave's starship models to Poser; I'm sure he'll probably say, "Okey-dokey" :cheese:.

I don't have an account there though. I tried once and got a migraine reading through all the hoops, no thanks.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited October 2012

That just happens to be on my list of ships to convert soon along with several other of Dave's ships. He has always been very kind about having his work converted and greateful too. I have not yet asked him about the current batch but thats only cause I am not far along since I am busy with PA products.

I will more than likely host the conversion on my DA account since its more flexable and you dont need memebership to download it and I can easily point back to David's account to give proper credits.

I also like converting his work cause its rather east and stress free compared to other models

EDIT:
    I just sent Dave a PM on DA so we should know soon. THough I have a feeling it will be just fine.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    That just happens to be on my list of ships to convert soon along with several other of Dave's ships. He has always been very kind about having his work converted and greateful too. I have not yet asked him about the current batch but thats only cause I am not far along since I am busy with PA products.

I will more than likely host the conversion on my DA account since its more flexable and you dont need memebership to download it and I can easily point back to David's account to give proper credits.

I also like converting his work cause its rather east and stress free compared to other models

EDIT:
    I just sent Dave a PM on DA so we should know soon. THough I have a feeling it will be just fine.

Yes his work was quite delightful after seeing some of the others! geez. I thought some of the issues being faced in our 'little' programs were simply because of conversion processes, but no. Some of the models released even for Max have some serious "overlapping" issues and whatnot. However kudos to anybody who can model with that program! Would take me way more than a month to figure it out lol ....

edited December 1969

Many threads ago, in a forum long away ... okay, it's late ...

We can do animations inside an animation in D/S3 at least. When it was on sale I picked this up:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/animated-textures-plug-in-for-daz-studio

Did a test run with moving images in a picture frame with a figure changing poses in the foreground. :-)

Images for the inside animation "must be" numbered sequentially. One points the browser to the 1st one ... render off the series.
    It seems to bake it there or whatever the term is.
    Then back to square one and various points along the way to pose the figure.
    Ran the plugin's render 'em out feature the second time; and it worked!

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

EDIT:

If you convert a TNG era ship with a sphere instead of a disk, I'd love to hear it.
    Also, whatTrek ship could be the Trek equivalent to the Millennium Falcon? I need to locate a somewhat small vessel.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    true but there are some people in this forum that didn't mind a new take on it, and even people who like ENT, VOY, DS9, and TNG. to see from every post from the same handful of people saying i hate this because it's not TOS, it gets old, and discourages people from participating in this forum discussion, which is supposed to be all era's of trek.

I like NG- even DS9 and some Voyager. I can accept that the NX-01 existed, but I have problems with some of the things they did.
    The problem most of us have with Abrams, is that he didn't stick to his proposed plan. He said he wanted to create an altered timeline. OKay, fine. But he changed too many things for that explanation to work. He filmed an alternate universe and called it an altered timeline- big difference between the two.

He pretty much did a bait and switch. And changing a timeline does not change locations of planets, either.

And I seriously can not believe that the "Enterprise" we saw, as white and fancy as it was outside, as well as the halls, the bridge and all that......has engineering the size of a football field and with mazes of pipes, cement floors and cinder block walls.....if he would have used, instead, what was shown in the concept art, showing the horizontal warp core, and all the fancy computers and whatnot, giving a more TMP/TNG type thing, I would be less aggressive on JJ, but instead he used a beer factory, and did a lazy job in trying to disguise that.....the same idea was used in the original " V ", and it looked just as bad in 1983, JJ had no excuse for that. Add to that his fetish for using lens flares......I don't care if that is what he considers 'artistic', to me, that's just watching a bad home video on a 20 year old camcorder. And making James Kirk more like a James Dean wannabe rebel, and Spock a poster child for an emo rock band, that's also bad......but this is the same guy who made "LOST". Is it any wonder James Cawley, whom I considered someone who's more qualified to make a Trek episode or movie, and at least he's a dedicated Star Trek fan, unlike JJ who said he never even liked Star Trek to begin with. George Lucas is already alienating the fans of his films since 1997, JJ appears to want to alienate long time fans of Trek.

To me, JJ Trek is Trek in title only.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

I think it's clear that people aren't going to agree on the merits or otherwise of the JJ Abrams Start Trek - it would be best to rfrain from commenting on it, just post renders if you liked it (and wish to) and keep quiet if you didn't.

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited October 2012

since i have no idea wher best to ask this question , i choos to ask all the poser pros here

i use poser 7 , and i render most things at a higher resolution , but when i save out the image the program always saves the image pixelated.
    no matter what numbers i type in for the quality settings . any one have any advice???

ok guys i think i got it figured out , my images are to small so the will always look pixcelly , i had to boost the size of the images to off set the amount of pixelation

Post edited by bluto on
    edited December 1969

Also, whatTrek ship could be the Trek equivalent to the Millennium Falcon? I need to locate a somewhat small vessel.

In fact, we thought the Archer-class was so evocative of the Millennium Falcon that we did a whole "Millennium Project" of Star Wars MF-scenes-inspired artwork: http://startrekartistsunite.deviantart.com/gallery/33542748

:-)
    edited December 1969

Resolution, in the sense of PPI, matters only if you are setting the size in inches (or another real-world unit). If you set the size in pixels it does nothing (unless placed in something that uses real-world units, such as a page layout or illustration application, in which case it determines how much of the page it occupies at 100%).

edited December 1969

I tried to reply to Bluto's post and got this:

Whats-Daz-doing-now.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 142K
    edited December 1969

Yes, it does that :( . I usually go to a page on which I am logged in, log out, and log in again.

edited December 1969

Yes, it does that :( . I usually go to a page on which I am logged in, log out, and log in again.

After this came up about 3 times, I just gave up.

• edited December 1969

Updates on Bob the Klingon. Added detail to the collar. Added bump and displacement maps to the boots.

klingonwip04.jpg
    812 x 748 - 137K
    klingonwip03.jpg
    812 x 748 - 78K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

A little off topic but something I think everyone here might find interesting

How to Get to Mars

http://www.youtube.com/embed/XRCIzZHpFtY?rel=0

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Yes his work was quite delightful after seeing some of the others! geez. I thought some of the issues being faced in our 'little' programs were simply because of conversion processes, but no. Some of the models released even for Max have some serious "overlapping" issues and whatnot. However kudos to anybody who can model with that program! Would take me way more than a month to figure it out lol ....

Dave granted permission so I will see what time I have on the weekend to continue converting them.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Mattymanx said:

Dave granted permission so I will see what time I have on the weekend to continue converting them.

Wonderful!

It was mylochka who was requesting one here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187/P1380/#141601

• mylochkamylochka Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Yes, that was me -- Thanks!

Richard, why won't the system let me change the picture in my sig line? No matter what file I try to upload, it keeps reverting to the original, misspelled banner.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

It's misspelled??? Doesnt look like it to me. Maybe you just need to clean out your cache or refresh the page.

David

This discussion has been closed.