ZBrush, Why Bother?

13»

Comments

• I use ZBrush 4R8 and it’s the Best, i love ZBRUSH it has changed my life. A womderful software. Don’t knock it until younhave learned how to use it.

• Hi everyone! First time posting here.

I use Daz, ZBrush and Blender, think they are all great tools! Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some tutorials showing how to send a Daz figure to ZBrush where I will sculpt it into something else and then send it back to Daz for posing. It's just the process I'm looking for really, I know how to sculpt in ZBrush but can't find any info on the Daz/ZBrush workflow. Here's an example of what I want to be able to do this for, let's say I'm creating a battle scene of goblins, I want to send a base mesh to ZBrush, sculpt the Goblin, then send it back to Daz where I can quickly create different poses for the scene, the final renders will be done on Blender.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chris.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2018

There's a little button called "GoZ" on the DAZ UI (I think on the far right in the base UI but you can look around).  Click it, it goes to zBrush. Tweak it, hit GoZ in  zBrush, Back in DAZ, a popup will open asking you what you want to name the morph.  Name it, click okay. Done!

I'm not sure you need to "buy" the GoZ plugin or not, it's free but you might need to go through the motions of buying it for $0.  Here's the link:

https://www.daz3d.com/goz-for-daz-studio

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • Hey thanks @grinch2901 ! Yeah I send quite a few figures to ZBrush for tweaks using GoZ but I've never sent one back to Daz, will give that a go. I'm guessing the poly count will need to remain the same for the morph to work. Just wondering how the rigging will be affected if I make limbs longer etc...

• This tutorial by @SickleYield may help you (the steps didn't change since then) : Loading Your New Morph On Genesis 2 Female in DAZ Studio

• Great stuff, thank you @xmasrose (akatulipe)

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited May 2018

Videos on there sites or youtube.Blender ,MudBox ,3D Coat ,zBrush.Mice are a waist of money with sculpting and you need the skills to sculpt .not every one can.If you can't sculpt in Blender then you can't sculpt in any app.

Needs a tablet n a pressure pen that tilts.I use Wacom.

You don't need a sculpting app to make morphs for Genesis or above.

For DAZ You need a sculpting app to make normals or vetor maps ,HD's that's it.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • @RorrKonn I'm just interested in knowing how to get these kind of results back into Daz https://www.daz3d.com/josh-crockett It mentions that Josh sculpts at Level 4 HD so I'm guessing he exports them at this level to another program, sculpts, saves maps etc and then sends them back to Daz. Just doesn't seem to be much in the way of tutorials covering the workflow.

• Ah that's a good one thanks @xmasrose (aka tulipe) I've subscribed to that channel.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited July 2018

The OP obviously didn't try ZBrush for very long. This software was at first and still is the ONE thing that made any game, any movie, any 3D printed figurine, etc look tons of times better than ever before. ZBrush (coupled with retopology and normal maps) is : a revolution. And keep in mind that after all those releases, all those updates, NO ONE in the industry is able to code something that comes even close to that. Mudbox, Blender, 3D-Coat, as good as they are, are far behind and nothing can display that much polygons and generate such an insane amount of calculations in only a few seconds.

And a "tool" is called a tool because every "tool" you sculpt or model becomes either a brush, part of a Live Boolean, or simply a piece of whatever "puzzle" you're working on. In ZBrush you can use the brushes given, but you can also use only those you developped. And a "brush" can be a simple cube but anything else, a nose, a tower, a fully finished character. Each 3D object becomes a "tool". Use LiveBoolean and you'll get what I mean by that.

Terminology is logical. Just learn how to use the software before spitting on it.

If 99.9% of the 3D community can't be wrong, then you may be.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Blender is the spawn of nightmares. But I've found ZbrushCore really friendly. Yeah, they call models tools, but whatever. I'm hoping I use it enough that I can justify an upgrade to straight-up Zbrush and get all that retoplogical/UVunwrapping goodness.

(And meanwhile, I can import models into ZbrushCore, adjust them/create morphs and export them back into Daz again and it's much much much more straightforward than Blender or even Hexagon. Just really intuitive and straightforward.

I'm beginning to use Zbrush Core because it came with a Wacom tablet...But I wonder if you could help me with something since you also use Core...

The problem is that Core does not have "GoZ" like the large version of Zbrush...

What is your process to export from Daz into Core...morph...and then reimport that morph into Daz?

I export to Z with base mesh resolution, etc...but I can't figure out how to bring a morph back into Daz...

Can you help a bit...

Thanks for any help...

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited September 2018

Export the figure and only the figure with File>Export choose WaveFront OBJ. I would use these settings for export. Scale and Ignore Invisible are important use Daz scale for export and import and you'll be fine.

Go to the Tool menu and press Import and choose the OBJ. If you also need some items like clothing inside ZBrush just export OBJ's of them seperately, then in ZBrush's subtools menu "Append" some object maybe the cube dosn't matter, next go to the tools menu and press import and choose the OBJ. Then draw the "tool" onto the canvas then press T for edit then F to focus I think its the same keys in ZBCore. Don't use burshes that alter the mesh, most times I first mask some bodypart Ctrl+Drag with the Polygroups Ctrl+Shift+Click then I work the most with the Elastic Move Brush press B-M-E, Inflate/Defalate B-I-N and Smooth Shift+Drag. Once the scupted shape is ready just press the Export button in the Tool menu, it only exports what is selected in the SubTool menu.

The way to load morphs onto your figure is the Morph Loader Pro. Just hit Choose Morph Files and select your OBJ. Here I show some important setting the Reverse Deformation it is hard to explain what it does exacly but to explain it easier use it if you have exported some character shape in the OBJ. With Reverse Deformation it dosn't add all the shape in your OBJ to the current character shape in the scene that would apply the character shape twice, instead it adds just the difference of what you have sculpted ontop of the original character morph in ZBrush to the morph you create with MorphLoaderPro.

This should get you started, good luck - even though it has nothing to do with luck.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • Blender is the spawn of nightmares. But I've found ZbrushCore really friendly. Yeah, they call models tools, but whatever. I'm hoping I use it enough that I can justify an upgrade to straight-up Zbrush and get all that retoplogical/UVunwrapping goodness.

(And meanwhile, I can import models into ZbrushCore, adjust them/create morphs and export them back into Daz again and it's much much much more straightforward than Blender or even Hexagon. Just really intuitive and straightforward.

I'm beginning to use Zbrush Core because it came with a Wacom tablet...But I wonder if you could help me with something since you also use Core...

The problem is that Core does not have "GoZ" like the large version of Zbrush...

What is your process to export from Daz into Core...morph...and then reimport that morph into Daz?

I export to Z with base mesh resolution, etc...but I can't figure out how to bring a morph back into Daz...

Can you help a bit...

Thanks for any help...

Export the figure and only the figure with File>Export choose WaveFront OBJ. I would use these settings for export. Scale and Ignore Invisible are important use Daz scale for export and import and you'll be fine.

Go to the Tool menu and press Import and choose the OBJ. If you also need some items like clothing inside ZBrush just export OBJ's of them seperately, then in ZBrush's subtools menu "Append" some object maybe the cube dosn't matter, next go to the tools menu and press import and choose the OBJ. Then draw the "tool" onto the canvas then press T for edit then F to focus I think its the same keys in ZBCore. Don't use burshes that alter the mesh, most times I first mask some bodypart Ctrl+Drag with the Polygroups Ctrl+Shift+Click then I work the most with the Elastic Move Brush press B-M-E, Inflate/Defalate B-I-N and Smooth Shift+Drag. Once the scupted shape is ready just press the Export button in the Tool menu, it only exports what is selected in the SubTool menu.

The way to load morphs onto your figure is the Morph Loader Pro. Just hit Choose Morph Files and select your OBJ. Here I show some important setting the Reverse Deformation it is hard to explain what it does exacly but to explain it easier use it if you have exported some character shape in the OBJ. With Reverse Deformation it dosn't add all the shape in your OBJ to the current character shape in the scene that would apply the character shape twice, instead it adds just the difference of what you have sculpted ontop of the original character morph in ZBrush to the morph you create with MorphLoaderPro.

This should get you started, good luck - even though it has nothing to do with luck.

Thank you so much for replying...

• DigitalSteamDigitalSteam Posts: 299
    edited September 2018
    ebergerly said:

It depends on what you need. I tried the ZBrush trial, really wanted to like it, but after a few weeks of very in-depth investigation I decided I would never allow it on my computer ever again. It has the world's worst UI and work flow of any software that has ever been developed since the beginning of time.  

Not that I love Z-Brush's interface, but I had a copy of "Wings3D' on my system for about an hour the other day, and would now have to disagrees ZBrush is the worst ever. :)

BTW, Autodesk Mudbox is pretty cool for sculpting, too.  Sculptris is shelved, but still works - but it's interface is only better than ZBrush by virtue of being simpliefied. 

Post edited by DigitalSteam on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited September 2018

I would recommend you to have a look at this thread it had helped me alot, its all about ZBrush and creating morphs TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M/G3M/G3M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1.

Here's a thread G3f textures in zbrush I replied a few years ago where I had issues using GOZ and I'm glad I never had to use it since. There I explain how to use the Layer system in ZBrush, I don't kow if there is something like this in ZBCore. I just watched this video What is ZBrushCore comparing the both versions - no 3D Layers in Coresad

[Edit]: The Import-Export method has some advantages over GOZ for me the best so far: by importing a mesh with unconnected vertices you get informed about that if you skip to automaticly fix the mesh issues you can create a morph for those meshes while on the other hand GOZ seems to trigger the automaticly fix without notification and by pressing GOZ in ZBrush you only get a new object back in Daz Studio with those troublesome meshes.angry

Also its far better that you can save the current ZBrush project and come back later for editing. You just have to remeber which character shape you are working on to apply the propper shape back in DazStudio with MLP and Reverse Deformation.

This should answer the qustion how to use textures on Genesis in ZBrush. zbrush and adding textures to polygroups

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I would recommend you to have a look at this thread it had helped me alot, its all about ZBrush and creating morphs TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M/G3M/G3M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1.

Here's a thread G3f textures in zbrush I replied a few years ago where I had issues using GOZ and I'm glad I never had to use it since. There I explain how to use the Layer system in ZBrush, I don't kow if there is something like this in ZBCore. I just watched this video What is ZBrushCore comparing the both versions - no 3D Layers in Coresad

[Edit]: The Import-Export method has some advantages over GOZ for me the best so far: by importing a mesh with unconnected vertices you get informed about that if you skip to automaticly fix the mesh issues you can create a morph for those meshes while on the other hand GOZ seems to trigger the automaticly fix without notification and by pressing GOZ in ZBrush you only get a new object back in Daz Studio with those troublesome meshes.angry

Also its far better that you can save the current ZBrush project and come back later for editing. You just have to remeber which character shape you are working on to apply the propper shape back in DazStudio with MLP and Reverse Deformation.

This should answer the qustion how to use textures on Genesis in ZBrush. zbrush and adding textures to polygroups

HOLY CRAP! SOMEONE MENTIONED MY TUTORIAL! I'M FAMOUS, Y'ALL! :)

• Hi gang,

I'm well aware that the thread is dated (last post 2018) but I think the topic at hand is still relevant and I really wanted to share my own experiences and the opinions I formed based on those. For the record I have done a bit of homework: another thread I found discussed ZBrush & Daz Studio also, but it was more about the OP trying to form an opinion before his trial period ran out. Well... after 3 years I think it probably has ;)

Now... I'm not necessarily a pro modelling artist, for me it's mostly hobby based though I do take a few things seriously. I started using Daz Studio several years ago (according to my order history around 2013) and because I always wanted to try and get the most out of Daz Studio I also got myself Bryce and Hexagon to go with it, a combination I've always extremely enjoyed (though I ended up using Bryce a lot more than Hexagon ;)). I also tried Blender a few times but that was never much of a success (though I do admire the extremely flexible interface; that's plain out impressive).

Last week I started looking more into ZBrush again and well, this time I was almost instantly sold. Literally even ;)  Last weekend I started following several tutorials (both official and from Youtube) and I've managed to build more usable (but still crappy!) stuff in one weekend than I have been able to do during the past years where I've been (sporadically) using Hexagon. I wouldn't necessarily call one program better than the other, but I think a question like "Why bother?" can be somewhat easily answered in the likes of "seeing can be believing". Because once you got a good feel for ZBrush then creating 3D models will quickly start to feel like actually working on something creative, rather than something technical. Which I think can make a huge difference in the way you approach your model(s).

ZBrush definitely takes getting used to, but if you can keep an open mind for a different interface then things will fall into place very quickly. The only thing I had to get used to was seeing the menus getting placed in alphabetic order, but other than that things are actually quite easy. I couldn't for the live of me get to appreciate the "lets switch the mousebuttons" mentality of Blender (you don't select with the left but the right mouse button...) but I got used to ZBrush within a few hours.

Now, some of the most compelling reasons for me to grab ZBrush was actually its interface (which is hardly as bad as some people make it out to be; at the very least it's decently consistent), the large amounts of good documentation, the different (though not necessarily easier) workflow for creating and editing 3D models, having the ability to sculpt based on example material (importing pictures which you then use as a guide) and the GoZ link with Daz Studio.

Hobbyist or not I'm honestly quite amazed at all the things I can do with ZBrush and how easier (or maybe: better accessible) some designs have become, at least for me. I'm actually well on my way to create a morph which will form a pair of wings on Riley (for Stephanie 5; one of my favorite models) which I think is quite amazing considering how more accessible this stuff has become in comparison to other software environments. For whatever that's worth of course...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Recently, I took the plunge into ZBrush.  Dove in the deep end.  It is sink or swim.  Am investing both time and money.  Well, I started out sinking for all the reasons that @ebergerly listed.  The terminology and iconography are completely foreign to me.  Here is an extention of one of ebergerly's examples.  Subtool?  You would think that is a special function like "extrude surfaces separately" or "extrude surfaces as one contiguous surface" when using extrude, right?  No, a "subtool" is one of the parts of your model, like an eye-sphere being separate from the face.  What?  Felt like I would never get it, and that I wasted a bunch of money.

But now...

I am finally overcoming my natural resistance to redefining all the words. And not just sculpting and morphs.  I am even beginning to do some hard surface modeling.  I may only be on the second step of a hundred step ladder, but I am very glad I have started.  It is a very powerful program. 

started out like crying

but am now smileyyes