Beach Iray Environments

Hi there,

I am looking for some Beach Iray Environments , can someone suggest any maybe? 
Would be appriciated :)

Thanks

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102

The only product I find with Iray materials is this one: https://www.daz3d.com/island-house

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

Here's another:

https://www.daz3d.com/secluded-island

Cheers,

Alex.

• SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986

Thank you guys :) Both look nice

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited July 2017

There is also this: https://www.daz3d.com/da-palm-island

And another with materials adjusted for Iray: https://www.daz3d.com/summer-island

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Thanks Charlie :) looks nice too

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

And another with materials adjusted for Iray: https://www.daz3d.com/summer-island

That one has a mix - not all surfaces are Iray.

scorpio said:

That one has a mix - not all surfaces are Iray.

okay, thanks for the info, but I could convert them to iray I guess

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Yeah, that artist has a bunch of mixed type products. Not happy about it.

But the last few products (weapons) have been pure Iray so maybe they saw the light

edited July 2017

Hopefully :) Iray is the future yes I discontinued support for 3DL at all for my products

Post edited by SF-Design on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515

...if you are just looking for a wide open expanse of beach, the Beach Pod has a nice large beach ground plane that can be converted to Iray. .

https://www.daz3d.com/beach-pod.

There is also this which can be applied to a plane primitive (also a PC+ item)

https://www.daz3d.com/seaside-shore-shaders

kyoto kid said:

...if you are just looking for a wide open expanse of beach, the Beach Pod has a nice large beach ground plane that can be converted to Iray. .

https://www.daz3d.com/beach-pod.

There is also this which can be applied to a plane primitive (also a PC+ item)

https://www.daz3d.com/seaside-shore-shaders

Thank you, the shore shaders look nice. Unfortunately n ot Iray, btu they are cheap , I will try it out. 
    THe other one I already have, also a nice product. 

What I am looking in particular, is HDRI Beach environments too. Like the MAUI one from Daz, but more variety. 

edited July 2017

...ahh, I do not use HDRIs because I don't have a beefy enough GPU to support working in Iray view mode. I have to do way to many test renders just to position the dome and sun where I need it. The other thing I dislike about HDRIs is I am  stuck with the stock settings that are "burned in" whereas with mesh based environment sets and the Sun Dial, I can adjust the lighting to suit my needs without changing the background positioning.

Just created a nice seting with the beach plane from the Beach Pod set and a water plane from another set which I applied an Iray water shader to.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...ahh, I do not use HDRIs because I don't have a beefy enough GPU to support working in Iray view mode. I have to do way to many test renders just to position the dome and sun where I need it. The other thing I dislike about HDRIs is I am  stuck with the stock settings that are "burned in" whereas with mesh based environment sets and the Sun Dial, I can adjust the lighting to suit my needs without changing the background positioning.

Just created a nice seting with the beach plane from the Beach Pod set and a water plane from another set which I applied an Iray water shader to.

oh ok I see. Some time ago I bought myself a Nvidia 1080 and with it it worked much better in the preview and rendering times increased drastically for Iray. 
    I got the card quite cheap when it was on sale on Amazon. Some buy those Quantum Cards or what they are named for 600+ USD. 
    I do not need that. When I render I just let it render :)

But actually I do not work in Iray view mode, I use the texture based one, I only do a preview from time to time and before the actual render. 
    For working in Iray mode completely my GPU is not good enough. At least not with a complex scene. 

Post edited by SF-Design on
    edited July 2017

...I have an old GT460 with 1 GB VRAM.  Screen refreshes in Iray mode take a long, long time even after a simple pose move. 1 GB is basically just enough to drive my displays, so in Iray mode it almost immediately spills over to system memory (a good portion of which is already taken up by the open scene) and overloads that which causes the Daz programme to crash to the desktop.  (I only have a net of 10.7 GB useable memory after Windows and utilities take their portion)

For me it is just too much "guesswork" when I cannot see the HDRI backdrop in Open GL mode which is why it often takes a lot of test renders to position the sphere just how I need it.  I also prefer to design my own settings rather than use a "stock" photo image which is basically what an HDRI backdrop is. When I do use photo elements it is usually only for sky backdrops (I really wish Iray was capable of rendering true volumetric atmospheric elements like Bryce and Carrara can).  I've also created skies in Bryce or Carrara to use as backdrops in Daz.

You must mean Quadro cards (Nvidia's professional line).  Yes they are expensive but dedicated to CG production and rendering as opposed to gaming.  They also offer the most VRAM available (16 GB for the P5000 and 24 GB for the P6000).  Nvidia recently unveiled the Quadro GP100 which has 16 GB of fast HBM2 memory, a 4K memory interface, 3,580 CUDA cores and is able to take advantage of Nvidia's new NVLink interface which offers a wider pipeline than PCIe 3.0 and allows two cards to share memory for rendering purposes which has not been possible before.  Unfortunately one will set you back about 6,500$.

If I could afford a new GPU card I'd get a 1080 Ti, but as I am on a fixed income I need to make do with what I have.

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192

This HDRI set includes a rocky shoreline if you can do without sand:  https://www.daz3d.com/ultrahd-iray-hdri-with-dof-outdoor-pack-1?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate

and omnifreaker shared some free Pixar HDRI's of Stinson Beach a couple months back (the images are only 2k but the lighting is pretty good): https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/157091/19-free-pixar-hdri/p1

It's well worth keeping an eye on Mec4D's own webpage for HDRI as well as she has a growing collection there for sale similar to the ones that were recently made available through Daz3D.  They are really excellent, though she doesn't have a beach yet (the closest is New York Bay which is more rocks and pebbles than sand) I imagine if you expressed an interest in that sort of scene she'd consider doing something like that.  It's worth a look anyway as Mec4D has a different HDRI available for free each week and they are stunningly high quality.  

Hope that helps a little, after everything you've made available for us it's nice to be able to return the favor in some small way!  laugh

kyoto kid said:

...I have an old GT460 with 1 GB VRAM.  Screen refreshes in Iray mode take a long, long time even after a simple pose move. 1 GB is basically just enough to drive my displays, so in Iray mode it almost immediately spills over to system memory (a good portion of which is already taken up by the open scene) and overloads that which causes the Daz programme to crash to the desktop.  (I only have a net of 10.7 GB useable memory after Windows and utilities take their portion)

For me it is just too much "guesswork" when I cannot see the HDRI backdrop in Open GL mode which is why it often takes a lot of test renders to position the sphere just how I need it.  I also prefer to design my own settings rather than use a "stock" photo image which is basically what an HDRI backdrop is. When I do use photo elements it is usually only for sky backdrops (I really wish Iray was capable of rendering true volumetric atmospheric elements like Bryce and Carrara can).  I've also created skies in Bryce or Carrara to use as backdrops in Daz.

You must mean Quadro cards (Nvidia's professional line).  Yes they are expensive but dedicated to CG production and rendering as opposed to gaming.  They also offer the most VRAM available (16 GB for the P5000 and 24 GB for the P6000).  Nvidia recently unveiled the Quadro GP100 which has 16 GB of fast HBM2 memory, a 4K memory interface, 3,580 CUDA cores and is able to take advantage of Nvidia's new NVLink interface which offers a wider pipeline than PCIe 3.0 and allows two cards to share memory for rendering purposes which has not been possible before.  Unfortunately one will set you back about 6,500$.

If I could afford a new GPU card I'd get a 1080 Ti, but as I am on a fixed income I need to make do with what I have.

Yes, I mean the Qudro Cards. They were suggested to me by them , but they are too expensive for what I need it. 
    With my 1080 and 3GB of Ram it works still fine and render times are okay. Much faster than before with CPU and my AMD card. 
    Yes I know what you mean, i switch to Iray mode when positioning the character. But when this takes so long, it is a pain indeed. 
    The advantage I see with those cards with more than 8GB of Ram , they can handle really large scenes where my fails. When I load it up with 4 characters and lots of props etc. , it is too big. 
    Some even have 2 of those linked :) I think when you render animations it is needed for acceptable render times. 

stuthurso said:

This HDRI set includes a rocky shoreline if you can do without sand:  https://www.daz3d.com/ultrahd-iray-hdri-with-dof-outdoor-pack-1?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate

and omnifreaker shared some free Pixar HDRI's of Stinson Beach a couple months back (the images are only 2k but the lighting is pretty good): https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/157091/19-free-pixar-hdri/p1

It's well worth keeping an eye on Mec4D's own webpage for HDRI as well as she has a growing collection there for sale similar to the ones that were recently made available through Daz3D.  They are really excellent, though she doesn't have a beach yet (the closest is New York Bay which is more rocks and pebbles than sand) I imagine if you expressed an interest in that sort of scene she'd consider doing something like that.  It's worth a look anyway as Mec4D has a different HDRI available for free each week and they are stunningly high quality.  

Hope that helps a little, after everything you've made available for us it's nice to be able to return the favor in some small way!  laugh

Thanks, Yes Mec4D sells nice stuff on their own website. Thanks for the link to the Omnifreaker ones, I will check them out. 
    I just bought a pack with 20 HDRI images from Dosch Design. It is only the HDRI, no settings, but they are in 10K resolution. And setting up the eincironment in Iray is good, I like to do it myself anyway :)

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 669

Funny, today searched through the store to find something for a beach environment ... I found that Summer Island, Secluded Island, Island House .... all look lovely. .. can't decide :D 

However vikike176 has some nice shaders for Iray here:

https://www.daz3d.com/ground-textures-4

She has some other ground shaders, all Iray so you can find something. 

edited July 2017

...ouch only 3 GB of system memory?  I thought my current system was no longer sufficient as I create fairly big scenes, and since I use meshes instead of HDRIs, I have a higher polycount and texture load to deal with.  I have scene files that would look at that as an appetiser and hunger for more.  Most likely when you were rendering just on the CPU, the process was dumping to even slower swap mode. That even happens to me with large scenes as well when more than half my available system RAM is taken up just having the scene and Daz programme open.

Be aware that the Pixar HDRIs may look blurry if rendering in a large scale as they are only 2K x 1K pixels in width. 8K x 4K pixels is the minimum for a nice crisp background.

Attached is a quick test I made using the Beach plane from the Beach Pod converted to Iray using the base Ubershader, a water plane with an Iray Water shader, and the Iray Sun/Sky setting (also used a 10% vignette effect):

Tonemap settings were ISO 64, fStop: 8 Shutter speed 1/125th (I used to do photography and preferrred Kodachrome 64 for outdoor shots).

at the beach.jpg
    900 x 675 - 295K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Hi, I have HDRI photo session of the Atlantic Beach on Sunday so I will have some HDRI Beach Freebie on Monday in my store at mec4d.com and later MEGAPACK here at daz as well after release but that will be at the end of this month .

SF-Design said:

Hi there,

Thanks

kyoto kid said:

...ouch only 3 GB of system memory?  I thought my current system was no longer sufficient as I create fairly big scenes, and since I use meshes instead of HDRIs, I have a higher polycount and texture load to deal with.  I have scene files that would look at that as an appetiser and hunger for more.  Most likely when you were rendering just on the CPU, the process was dumping to even slower swap mode. That even happens to me with large scenes as well when more than half my available system RAM is taken up just having the scene and Daz programme open.

Be aware that the Pixar HDRIs may look blurry if rendering in a large scale as they are only 2K x 1K pixels in width. 8K x 4K pixels is the minimum for a nice crisp background.

Attached is a quick test I made using the Beach plane from the Beach Pod converted to Iray using the base Ubershader, a water plane with an Iray Water shader, and the Iray Sun/Sky setting (also used a 10% vignette effect):

Tonemap settings were ISO 64, fStop: 8 Shutter speed 1/125th (I used to do photography and preferrred Kodachrome 64 for outdoor shots).

oh hehe, no this was a mistundertanding, the system has 32 GB of Ram , my GPU had 3 GB of VRAM :)

MEC4D said:

Hi, I have HDRI photo session of the Atlantic Beach on Sunday so I will have some HDRI Beach Freebie on Monday in my store at mec4d.com and later MEGAPACK here at daz as well after release but that will be at the end of this month .

SF-Design said:

Hi there,

Thanks

Hi, that sounds great :) Thanks!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714

If you want photorealism a plain photo backdrop may do it.

beach_backdrop.jpg
    987 x 1070 - 742K
    Taoz said:

oh that looks nice, thank you for the hint. 
    So you used an enviroment and then just placed a backdrop with a photo? Is only the sky on it and the sea or also the palm trees? 

edited July 2017
    SF-Design said:
    Taoz said:

oh that looks nice, thank you for the hint. 
    So you used an enviroment and then just placed a backdrop with a photo? Is only the sky on it and the sea or also the palm trees? 

It's just a photo inserted as background, serving as environment, the only 3D object is the girl in swimsuit (G3F). Nothing else. Has its limitations, but if you just want one or a few characters on a beach it's an easy solution.  

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2017

Just select the Environment Tab, click to open the Background menu and Browse to the picture you want as background.

background_picture.jpg
    457 x 358 - 36K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2017
    SF-Design said:
    kyoto kid said:

oh hehe, no this was a mistundertanding, the system has 32 GB of Ram , my GPU had 3 GB of VRAM :)

...ahh was wondering.  My old 32 bit notebook had 4 GB of which only 3 GB was usable after Windows and system utilities.  Had many a crash during rendering back then.

Taoz said:

...as I mentioned i have used photo backdrops but more in a more limited fashion.

What I did in the scene of the girls at the bus stop that I've posted elsewhere in the forums was build an actual ground set with props and then applied the desired photo backdrop to a large plane primitive and placed it far enough back behind the mesh objects in the scene so as to avoid shadows being cast on it.  This allows you to  better position the photo as needed since the Backdrop setting "locks" the backdrop in relation to the render camera.

Of course you need to match the sun angle and lighting conditions of the photo as well otherwise it looks like a like a "fake" background and the photo used needs to be of very high resolution. (I use large wide panorama shots).

Here is the same beach setting using this technique. A second blank plane with a neutral colour is placed just underneath the one with the cloud images as the water shader I used is somewhat transparent.  Also threw in an appropriate prop for showing the sun angle in reference to the backdrop.

at the beach 2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 431K
    edited July 2017

I just realized that since I recommended the omnifreaker freebies before in the thread I should actually have a go with them properly myself wink.  They work okay really and the low resolution picture is fine if you want to have a DOF effect as well.  Sadly coming from the Far North of Scotland this is about as close to the summer as I'm likely to get!!  LOL

Vicky Beach.png
    700 x 1133 - 927K
    Post edited by stuthurso on

...how far north? 

Right at the top of the mainland in Thurso.  After that it's the Pentland Firth and the Orkneys/Shetland.  laugh