19 FREE Pixar HDRI

Stinson Beach HDRI

Pixar was nice enough to share some gorgeous HDRI of Stinson Beach they captured for use in the beautiful short Piper. The original files were posted in PRMan's tex format. I am re-posting on my site in the more generic HDR (Radiance) format for use in iRay, 3Delight, whatever under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

19 32 bit 2048 x 1024 HDR files taken over the course of a day.

Original Pixar post here: https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/1736/piper-look-dev-hdri-collection.html

HDR Files available at http://omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=Downloads

Enjoy!

omnifreaker

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Thank you :)

Laurie

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Thanks so much for these!!!

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923

Thank you very much!

• Thank you!

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

How do they work with DAZ - iRay?

Lot's of free and/or commercially offered HDRIs don't work well. Either EV is too low or it reacts strange on camera positioning.

• AndyS said:

How do they work with DAZ - iRay?

Lot's of free and/or commercially offered HDRIs don't work well. Either EV is too low or it reacts strange on camera positioning.

iRay render of Env_StinsonBeach_1744PM_2k.21.hdr

There is a lot of great dynamic range in these--I feel like they work very well in iRay.  Here is an iRay render using Env_StinsonBeach_1744PM_2k.21.hdr

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660

Thanks for sharing :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2017

Thankyou very muc  for converting these HDRi omnifreaker . I seen these when they come out in the renderman forum back sometime last  january and I downloaded the hdri zip they had but when i tired using them they wouldnt work in daz because of the autodesk format.,  so I really appreciate you making these work for daz .. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Post edited by Ivy on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

Awesome, thank you!

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited March 2017

Here's a quickie test render using the 2pm and rotating the dome 320. No other lighting was used.

test hdri.jpg
    1063 x 1014 - 330K
    Post edited by azoohouse on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Excellent, thanks!

Pixar HDRs tend to be some of the highest quality I've seen.

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 141

Thank you very much. Always appreciate good HDRs

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126

Thank you!

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

And again... thank you so much.

I treasure your kindness and generosity.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I have no idea of the technical terms, but ... the background aspect is blurry (which is just perfect in my view!) and there seems to be a strong main light source (sun) which produces clear and defined shadows.  So, all in all, more than worth every penny, thank you!

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652

Thank you so much!!

Love, Jeanne smiley

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

thanks

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028

thanks ... lighting is everything (well, almost =)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Depth of field (DOF). A real camera, real scene, real sun. Not to forget that the Pixar folks kind of know what they're doing. wink 

SimonJM said:

I have no idea of the technical terms, but ... the background aspect is blurry (which is just perfect in my view!) and there seems to be a strong main light source (sun) which produces clear and defined shadows.  So, all in all, more than worth every penny, thank you!

• SimonJM said:

the background aspect is blurry 

The files are only 2048x1024 resolution which may not be enought to be used as a background (unless the soft effect is desired;).

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515

Many thanks Omnifreaker for making these available in a format we can use. I really like using HDRI in my iRay renders.

Very kind, and much appreciated.

smiley

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited March 2017
    azoohouse said:

Here's a quickie test render using the 2pm and rotating the dome 320. No other lighting was used.

Nice test render. Thanks for posting. After seeing this, I have just downloaded zips from Omnifreaker's site. They look as though they are going to be fun to use.

Now for some test renders. smiley

Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • Downloaded. Nice to see you come around once in a while, omnifreaker. wink

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Nice. Too bad about the restrictive licensing terms. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Not sure that the blurred image and the sharp shadows work together. Also, wouldn't we depth of field to produce an area of in-focus detail within the greater out-of-focus field?

Nevertheless, I will download them for lighting if not for the background images.

• Downloaded. Nice to see you come around once in a while, omnifreaker. wink

It has been a while...;).  Good to be back.  I have some more fun stuff cooking in the labratory as well;).

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

marble said:

Not sure that the blurred image and the sharp shadows work together. Also, wouldn't we depth of field to produce an area of in-focus detail within the greater out-of-focus field?

Nevertheless, I will download them for lighting if not for the background images.

I think a small block of sandy terrain polys with a tight DoF on the subject would work perfectly with those images.  Sadly I'm never really sure about downloading explicitly no-commercial-use freebies.  Not omnifreaker's fault, the originals are licensed under that and very understandably, but I don't always know whether an image is going to be one I use for gain or not when I'm making it.

The HDRI looks very nice, from other folks renders, though!

--  Morgan

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579
    SimonJM said:

The files are only 2048x1024 resolution which may not be enought to be used as a background (unless the soft effect is desired;).

..that is what I was thinking.  Usually you want at least 4x that (4096 x 8192) to get a relatively clear crisp backdrop however that will take more memory as well.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

Thanks!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited March 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    SimonJM said:

..that is what I was thinking.  Usually you want at least 4x that (4096 x 8192) to get a relatively clear crisp backdrop however that will take more memory as well.

If you had the original photo also you could use it as backdrop. I've tried to convert the HDR to jpg to see how it looks. Always having the sun in front is a problem though, would be nice if the backdrop could be rotated so you could use 360 degree photos. Zoom in/out would also be nice.

stinson_hdr_backdrop.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 701K
    Post edited by Taoz on