Exclusive news at CarraraCafe: Time and details about Carrara 8.5 and 9 releases

Comments

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Well, look at it this way...since tomorrow is the last of the month we're practically guaranteed* to get the official announcement about the future announcement!

* Denotes a DAZ guarantee, which is to mean "probably, kinda-sorta, but not really guaranteed."

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    Well, look at it this way...since tomorrow is the last of the month we're practically guaranteed* to get the official announcement about the future announcement!

* Denotes a DAZ guarantee, which is to mean "probably, kinda-sorta, but not really guaranteed."

Did they say end of Summer? I have a feeling Summer here ends officially tommorow.
    Mind you the Autumn Equinox isn't until the 20th of March.
    So maybe it will be an equinoxial announcement :)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Kodiak3D said:

Agree

head wax I read Joe's stuff like that and wonder why I'm the one someone has their sights on ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited February 2013

;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Let's keep it civil, folks.

• TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    DaRkWyNdE said:

I would like to see improved communication from DAZ.

Please suggest improvements and we will try to help out.

Sorry about that. I've corrected that to read more like a suggestion.

As for others, they could move the View checkbox from the General tab and place it next to items in the
    instance tab like in Hexagon. I know it's splitting hairs but if I want to hide a few parts or models in a scene
    I have to select, move up, tick the box and so forth.

Fix the UV editor. If I clear some shading domains and start again, the new shading domains get mixed up even
    if I create new names for the domains.

That's if for now. I don't use DAZ content that much at this stage.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    DaRkWyNdE said:

I would like to see improved communication from DAZ.

Please suggest improvements and we will try to help out.

Really? How about once per month, Steve Spencer, spends the day in these forums? He creates a single post in each product section, the mods sticky that post for the day, and he provides a status update on said product and then the rest of the thread can be dedicated to Q&A from the user base. When the day is over, so is the Q&A and the thread can be locked.

I don't think one single day per month is too much to ask. Indeed; I have no doubt that it would actually make his job more effective.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Since the thread wasn't being kept civil a dose of salts has been applied and it's now somewhat lighter.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Reading about a possible Carrara 9 gives me at least hope that it won't die in some dark dusty corner.
    And I hope they will not change the GUI too much. I like the tidy GUI and seperation of Assembly, Modelling, Shading and Rendering.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Really? How about once per month, Steve Spencer, spends the day in these forums? He creates a single post in each product section, the mods sticky that post for the day, and he provides a status update on said product and then the rest of the thread can be dedicated to Q&A from the user base. When the day is over, so is the Q&A and the thread can be locked.

I don't think one single day per month is too much to ask. Indeed; I have no doubt that it would actually make his job more effective.

Sounds good, but DAZ has never been free with info. I don't get it though. It's not like any slipped info is going to be the ruination of DAZ. In my opinion DAZ treating everything like some state secret has caused far more harm then any leaked info could.

Well it's the day, and since I have prescriptions to deliver I may not be here for the announcement, so I will get this in now. I told you so ;)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Garstor said:

Sounds good, but DAZ has never been free with info. I don't get it though. It's not like any slipped info is going to be the ruination of DAZ. In my opinion DAZ treating everything like some state secret has caused far more harm then any leaked info could.

Well it's the day, and since I have prescriptions to deliver I may not be here for the announcement, so I will get this in now. I told you so ;)

don't you take any ;-)

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Well, in all fairness, there is never enough information about upcoming releases.

DAZ: "We are developing Product Version 2"
    US: "When will it be ready? What features will it have? How much will it cost?"
    DAZ: "We expect it to be ready in Q4"
    US: "So October 1 and 12:00:00AM Utah time"
    REALIST: "More like December 31 at 11:59:59PM Yukon Time"
    HATERS:"Yeah, but not this year."
    US: "What new features?
    DAZ: "No, we mean Q4 of this year, but we would like it to as be bug free as possible, Anyway, it will have feature_1, feature_2, and feature_3"
    US: "How will they work? Can you show us a workflow? I still use Vikki 1, will it work with her. What if I use morphs? Can I export to DS, Bryce, and Lightwave? Wait, did you say Version 2 will not have ANY bugs? Can I get in the beta?
    HATERS: "Well, if it doesn't have feature_4, I am moving to Canada and switching to Greener Pastures Version 3.3."
    DAZ: "Uhm, we did not say it will be completely bug free, but we are doing our best"
    HATERS: "SEE..." (moderated)
    DAZ: "Anyway, the feature list isn't complete yet, we just wanted to tell you about those 3. We are still testing with legacy products."
    US: What about the Mac version?"
    HATERS_ALT_BANNED_ACCOUNT: "DAZ is a bunch of EVIL corporate demons. They wont tell us anything and " (moderated)
    US:"Can you show us how it works?"
    US: "How much? I need to budget."
    THAT_ONE_GUY_IN_BUDAPEST: "This would be great if it were on Linux."
    US: "You still haven't answered about the beta."
    US: "or the Mac version. Remember Bryce 7 still doesn't work under Lion or Mountain Lion."
    US: "Or the cost"
    US: "Or feature_4"
    US: "I have a great idea for a new feature. Add Feature_38"

And so on.

Still, something more akin to the Luxology modcast would be great. Drop in one a month (with Q&A as suggested) or once a week with "State of the Art Zone" update with no Q&A. You tell us that you are woking on C8/C9, Bryce 7.5, or Bryce 8 and DS5 and what we can look forward to. You could even tell us that there is never going to be a Bryce 8 and that you hope to merge al that into C9, if that is your intent, for example.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Yep and I regard this as a spectacular failure on the part of DAZ. The days of businesses keeping mum about everything are long behind us (sure, some things are secret). In this sense, I view DAZ as the last dinosaur looking around, "Where did everybody go?"

...I may not be here for the announcement, so I will get this in now. I told you so ;)

Here's where you lose me Stan. DAZ_Spooky obliquely hinted that there would be an announcement in February. There was an announcement in February. Near as I can tell, no other promises were made...what's the problem?

edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    Still, something more akin to the Luxology modcast would be great. Drop in one a month (with Q&A as suggested) or once a week with "State of the Art Zone" update with no Q&A. You tell us that you are woking on C8/C9, Bryce 7.5, or Bryce 8 and DS5 and what we can look forward to. You could even tell us that there is never going to be a Bryce 8 and that you hope to merge al that into C9, if that is your intent, for example.

Verlon, that was a great summary of how things seem to be around here. :) Drinks are on me at the Great Carrara Users Convention Of Twenty-Something-Or-Other! :lol:

edited December 1969

That is no sort of summery about the way things go around here. You wont ever see a DAZ_ in that sort of conversation.

Years ago when AZ was around and a big thing, we had open chats with the folks at DAZ. Loved it and attended as many as I could. But since that time DAZ has done a good job of making announcements for things that never happened. The big two were claims about dynamic clothing, and studio 4 would never be free.

"Here’s where you lose me Stan. DAZ_Spooky obliquely hinted that there would be an announcement in February. There was an announcement in February. Near as I can tell, no other promises were made…what’s the problem?" Garstor

But no actual announcement has been made. The was an announcement about an upcoming announcement that was an announcement about an upcoming announcement in February. If we don't hear anything today I can only assume they meant next February.

Now what I want is up to the minute info, not announcements about something coming up so far in the future as to not believe it. Making announcement about things that may take place 6 months to a year and half from now is how DAZ gets it's self in trouble. I don't want to know what may possibly happen in 6 months, I want to know what is going on now.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hilarious Verion! :lol:

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Let me try to explain again, the February announcement is the one posted at http://carraracafe.com/?p=2663

The plan was to post the news at CarraraCafe first, then 24h later here in the Daz3D Forums.
    Unfortunately I did the usual crosspost of important CarraraCafe news at Daz and Renderosity Forum, so the Daz forum got the news faster, but not 24h later by "Daz_Someone". Next time, we can try the other way around, maybe it is better.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In the Beginning, there was DAZ. And darkness filled the eyes of the Users, and they were afraid.

Then DAZ said, "Let there be Carrara", and LO! Carrara came forth upon the land, and the Users rejoiced.

Then did DAZ say to itself, I do see that the Users are heavy with gold, let us relieve them of their burden.

And LO! Carrara grew, and grew, and grew with upgrades, and the Users were fleeced like lambs.

Confusion moved on the face of the Users, and they wailed, "Oh DAZ wilt thou slayeth the legion of pestiferous insects that inhabit the House of Carrara?"

And DAZ was silent, although a Priest of DAZ sayeth: "You shalt hear somewhat of something SOON".

And the Users wait as if for Godot, praying to DAZ that "Soon" might not mean at the End of Days.

:-P %-P ;-P :P :roll:

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Glad to bring a smile to your day.

It really is the way of forums. I've seen the same thing in other 3D forums, video editors and so on. It is always the same. No matter how specific the announcement, people will want more. No matter how realistic the goal, haters will doubt. No matter how exact the date, people will ask for something just a bit more exact.

Of course, companies could alleviate that last one by not interpreting Q4 2012 to mean January 31 2013. :) In fact, actually getting the thing out at the beginning of the window once in a while would really go a long ways with customers.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Let me try to explain again, the February announcement is the one posted at http://carraracafe.com/?p=2663

The plan was to post the news at CarraraCafe first, then 24h later here in the Daz3D Forums.
    Unfortunately I did the usual crosspost of important CarraraCafe news at Daz and Renderosity Forum, so the Daz forum got the news faster, but not 24h later by "Daz_Someone". Next time, we can try the other way around, maybe it is better.

It would help to get it right the first try, perhaps? I've read that link several times, and it's been different with each read.

edited February 2013

So...DAZ isn't even going to make an announcement in their own forum?

Disappointing and shameful. Those are the words that come to mind. Nothing against CarraraCafe, but THIS is where announcements need to be made. Also, they need to be made by DAZ, not "leaked" out to someone else on a different site.

Post edited by Kodiak3d on
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

But no actual announcement has been made. The was an announcement about an upcoming announcement that was an announcement about an upcoming announcement in February. If we don't hear anything today I can only assume they meant next February.

Now what I want is up to the minute info, not announcements about something coming up so far in the future as to not believe it. Making announcement about things that may take place 6 months to a year and half from now is how DAZ gets it's self in trouble. I don't want to know what may possibly happen in 6 months, I want to know what is going on now.

Tried to look up the word announcement in several dictionaries, many list the example "wedding annoucement" which is usually done months ahead of the wedding. Much like the Daz announcement about Carrara 8.5 release at the end of the summer.

Oxford dictionary about announcement: "a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention"
    My interpretation is that I wrote an announcement about a product release in 6 months, not an announcement about an announcement or not being an annoucement about a large event such as a major product release.
    Your definition of announcement seems to be totally different than mine. Sorry about that, can you please explain what your exact definition of annoucement is?

The February news are here http://carraracafe.com/?p=2663
    Sorry about the news not being about an immediate event as you wanted.

By next February, Carrara 9 may already have been released, if all goes according to the plans posted at http://carraracafe.com/?p=2663

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Kodiak3D said:

Disappointing and shameful. Those are the words that come to mind. Nothing against CarraraCafe, but THIS is where announcements need to be made. Also, they need to be made by DAZ, not "leaked" out to someone else on a different site.

There was a time when the Carrara forums were so busy (not just complaining only) that news dropped off the front page here quickly. So Cafe was meant to counter that.

This is a case of darned when you do, darned when you don't. I don't see any point in complaining about this little aspect of WHERE the announcement is made first... - the conclusion is still the same. The relevance of the post is now completely lost here under the chatter.

3Drendero made the effort of starting the conversation in ALL 3 Carrara forums... Calling it "shameful" is over the top and unnecessary. Guys, don't shoot the messenger or we won't get ANY INFO at all.
    :zip:

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:

Sorry about hijacking the planned official Daz post at the Daz forum, we will do it the other way around the next time.

As Daz started and pays the bills for CarraraCafe and we have the "official project by Daz 3D" in the logo, the CarraraCafe and Daz Carrara Forum should be on the same level when important news about Carrara should be posted.

I am a little sad that you consider CarraraCafe to be less important, different, disappointing and all that.
    Guess that we have to keep on working and work harder to earn your respect.

edited December 1969

Thank you Holly for the positive support!

edited February 2013

It would help to get it right the first try, perhaps? I've read that link several times, and it's been different with each read.

I can try the next time, but you need to remember that we are volunteers, not paid and skilled journalists.
    Also trying to learn from the feedback here in the Forums, some bits were changed after feedback here, hard to please everyone.

Post edited by 3drendero on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Verlon said:

Verlon, that was a great summary of how things seem to be around here. :) Drinks are on me at the Great Carrara Users Convention Of Twenty-Something-Or-Other! :lol:

Thank you Garstor and Verlon for the constructive suggestions.

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Kodiak3D said:

Sorry about hijacking the planned official Daz post at the Daz forum, we will do it the other way around the next time.

As Daz started and pays the bills for CarraraCafe and we have the "official project by Daz 3D" in the logo, the CarraraCafe and Daz Carrara Forum should be on the same level when important news about Carrara should be posted.

I am a little sad that you consider CarraraCafe to be less important, different, disappointing and all that.
    Guess that we have to keep on working and work harder to earn your respect.

First, I made no remark about CarraraCafe at all.

Do I consider the CarraraCafe forum to be less prominent than this one? Certainly. This forum has a small number of active users, but Cafe has even less.

It's not meant as disrespect, and I apologize that it comes across that way. Nor is it my intent to belittle the work that goes into Cafe. It's a great site with good information and less drama. I like Cafe as it is a great source of knowledge and an excellent place when you need help. I wish DAZ would promote it more...but they don't.

I don't understand the point of having 2 "official" Carrara forums. If CarraraCafe is supposed to be the center of information about Carrara, then why does this forum even exist? Why not redirect to Cafe? I'm just saying that THIS is the official forum on DAZ's own website and this is where important announcements about Carrara should be made.

edited December 1969

3Drendero made the effort of starting the conversation in ALL 3 Carrara forums... Calling it "shameful" is over the top and unnecessary. Guys, don't shoot the messenger or we won't get ANY INFO at all.
    :zip:

Hear! Hear! I appreciate 3Drendero's efforts.

edited February 2013

I'm not sure how people are figuring that my "disappointing and shameful" comment was about anyone but DAZ. If it weren't for 3Drendero, we probably wouldn't have heard anything. I also appreciate his efforts as it's leaps and bounds above DAZ.

Post edited by Kodiak3d on