Exclusive news at CarraraCafe: Time and details about Carrara 8.5 and 9 releases

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

emeyer said:
    Hm. It appears Scott Adams has started working at DAZ too : The more the merrier)

Is this the one you are talking about: http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2013-02-25/

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited February 2013

ManStan said:
    We weren't told anything in the announcement on carraracafe that we didn't already know.

That's not quite true. Whatever else was said within that, we got two pieces of information:

1. There will be a release version of 8.5, and
    2. There will be a Carrara 9

That's two fewer pieces of uncertainty than we had before; I recall a joke or two about selling to Smith Micro?

Still, there's a long way to go. For instance, what extra whiz-bang are they planning on putting into C9? What new features are they going to add?

Oh, and there is one piece of information that I absolutely do not want to hear at this point: The release date on C9. That should be too far out, and if they're adding any major features, the timetable could slip and slop either way.

Post edited by Territan on
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    We weren't told anything in the announcement on carraracafe that we didn't already know.

Really Stan? You knew the planned release dates for C8.5 and C9? Why didn't you tell us sooner? ;-P

Sure, the rest of the announcement is just a features list that most of us knew about already ... but at least we have dates now.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Sure, the rest of the announcement is just a features list that most of us knew about already ... but at least we have dates now.

If you consider a "date" being spread over 1/4 of a year then yeah... with a 92-day margin of error... Unless it falls a little late then it becomes a 184-day margin of error....

But HEY that is like really specific for DAZ...

. :-P (unless it's delayed - then it's the same as it always was... ) ;-P

Looks like I'm sitting out MARCH MADNESS again. I'm sure it'll all be Genesis so no reason for me to re-up my PC membership THIS year...

edited December 1969

If you consider a "date" being spread over 1/4 of a year then yeah... with a 92-day margin of error... Unless it falls a little late then it becomes a 184-day margin of error....

Et tu Holly? :P

I do get it - it is the once burned, twice shy thing. I totally understand Stan's cynicism and personally I waver a bit between Dart's enthusiasm and Stan's jaded practicality.

:-P (unless it's delayed - then it's the same as it always was... ) ;-P

::SLAP!!:: (But a deserved one...)

Looks like I'm sitting out MARCH MADNESS again. I'm sure it'll all be Genesis so no reason for me to re-up my PC membership THIS year...

I was still very new to 3D and DAZ in particular last year -- I didn't make many purchases because I didn't know how to organize a runtime. I would say, "And then I met Dart and my life changed." But Rosie has dibs on that sentiment! :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,207
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    "And then I met Dart and my life changed." But Rosie has dibs on that sentiment! :)
    She sure does!
    Ya know, People can pick on me for being able to figure out how to enjoy what Carrara has to offer all they want. I'm happy just knowing that Daz is still planning further development. I think that was just as exciting of news as 3d Rendero made it out to be. And then some.
    edited December 1969

Ya know, People can pick on me for being able to figure out how to enjoy what Carrara has to offer all they want. I'm happy just knowing that Daz is still planning further development. I think that was just as exciting of news as 3d Rendero made it out to be. And then some.

You really went above and beyond with helping me to understand and organize runtimes. I'm deeply appreciative of that.

Playing with other people's models then grew my desire to make models of my own. That, in turn, got me passionate about Carrara and what it can do as well as what it should do (IMHO).

edited February 2013

Garstor said:

Et tu Holly? :P
    Awww. I can't have a little fun too?

I'm just pointing out that this announcement of an announcement is highly inspecific on those targeted release dates, but I'm laughing WITH Daz, not at... It's a confirmation of what was said before... but it is good to hear the plan is still the same...

There must still be a lot wrong with C8.5/Genesis if we will be waiting until May/June for that release. :long: At least 2 more serials for the beta. In THEORY they are not leaving C8 with a million bugs, but it's taken so long I can't imagine what they will be charging for 8.5...

C9? yeah, ok. let's wait and see.

**edit**
    The ONLY reason I'm playing this beta game is because I have no choice. C8.1 is unusable for animations on Mac. The beta we've been stuck with for the last 8 months is far from stable, but if I had a serial option I would have done it long ago...

I see nothing to get excited about YET.

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

ehy you @ daz may I suggest one simple item to be renewed/modified in C8.5? GUI, it's easy to do and has much appeal in the audience, not much to do, just 2 or 3 color presets and pretty new icons :cheese: :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

ehy you @ daz may I suggest one simple item to be renewed/modified in C8.5? GUI, it's easy to do and has much appeal in the audience, not much to do, just 2 or 3 color presets and pretty new icons :cheese: :coolsmile:

No, they already failed miserably at updating the Carrara program icon. NO NO NO!

(and you can change the colors yourself.)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have the short term memory of a head of lettuce, and the attention span of a house cat, but I haven't forgotten about the "update in a few days" that we never got. So the last thing I believe from DAZ is when something is coming out.

I may predict some gloom and doom but I had no doubt there was going to be an 8.5 and 9, so no news there.

When is news not news? When optimists dance in the streets for little crumbs of emptiness.

And why are the optimists dancing about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLsRI7-hBs

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

No, they already failed miserably at updating the Carrara program icon. NO NO NO!

(and you can change the colors yourself.)

allright, maybe more tabs switching in the assembly room?:roll:

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

I'm good with their announcement. I was hoping for it to be that C8.5 would be here in March, but I won't complain. In fact, I'm quite pleased because the dreaded DAZ "soon" wasn't in the announcement :roll:
    For DAZ to give us definite time frame is really unusual. I do expect the actual release to be on the last day possible, that's pretty much SOP for most software companies.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

I got an idea for a great movie. The collaboration movie could be based on this thread or any of the other ones talking about the next version of Carrara

The comments in this thread could be the script. It is funny. Dramatic. Pathetic, happy, sad, confusing, mysterious. My gosh, it has all the emotions a top Hollywood screenwriter dreams of writing!

It has the characters, the plot, good guys, bad guys...

And it could be franchised...

This story will never end. It is like Batman or no wait Rocky OK maybe they're tied but with this epic we could surely make more movie than they did.

Or we could do a movie based on the secret Carrara Manual. It could be like a Bond movie or the Da Vinci Code. Yeah that's it. Carrara Code. I'd pay to see it.

Just a thought,
    Craig

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Am I the only one who got the idea that this upcoming 8.5 release is supposed to have some features we don't know about yet? That's what the carraracafe announcement seems to say anyway.

In any case, I'm not touching the champagne until 8.5 is on my hard disk or at least in the store.

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    We got an announcement that we were going to get an announcement and the announcement is about a forth coming announcement.
    And you are happy to play this game?

We weren't told anything in the announcement on carraracafe that we didn't already know. I find it highly doubtful the next announcement; which has to be made in the next 3 days {and most assuredly DAZ will make us wait those 3 days for absolutely no good reason} which isn't going to tell us anything we don't already know.

JeeeeeZZZZ I wish I could write what I want to, time to head to the renderO forums {what was that log in pass word again?}

Time to take your happy pills.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Am I the only one who got the idea that this upcoming 8.5 release is supposed to have some features we don't know about yet? That's what the carraracafe announcement seems to say anyway.

In any case, I'm not touching the champagne until 8.5 is on my hard disk or at least in the store.

That is certainly the impression DAZ wants to give you ;)

You know what those new features are?

Genesis compatibility
    DSON compatibility
    autofit
    DSF and DUF compatibility,
    {of coarse I don't know why carrara would need DSF, DUF, and DSON}
    Oh wait, lets not forget
    CMS
    DIM

Right, we that have been beta testing C8.5 wont see anything new. The new part is for people that aren't already aware of what is in C8.5.

I mean come on folks, this is just typical DAZ smoke and mirrors. This is just DAZ SOS.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

The announcement uses the word "surprise". Everything on the list we already knew about, yes?

edited February 2013

araneldon said:
    The announcement uses the word "surprise". Everything on the list we already knew about, yes?

Lets see, when was the last time DAZ surprised me, hmmmm, Oh I know, Bryce 6. So if DAZ announces some thing that surprises me I will be doubly surprised.

So lets postulate the possible surprises.

Dynamic cloth? No I believe they dropped a real broad hint that might be coming in C9. Pessimistic about it.

Better atmospherics? Highly doubtful.

Fixes to issues that have plagued carrara for quite some time? lol ya right.

Optitex compatibility? Don't know, looks like sort of a dead end even in studio. None the less this never did reach what DAZ claimed it was going to be in the beginning.

Collada gets fixed for import/export? LMAO

Some sort of compatibility with an after marked render engine? Possibly, but carrara's render engine is one of it's strong points so really doesn't need to export to a render engine. {which is why this is the most likely candidate, we don't need it.}

Fixes so you can actually make fit morphs for auto fit clothes; which the way autofit works is a must.

What are your thoughts?

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Look, some people may think this is a matter of semantics, but what most of us are saying is the same thing we always said: DAZ just doesn't know it's Carrara market very well. We are not asking for "GEE GOSH WILLIKERS LOOKY-LOOKY SPECIAL LEMON-PHRESH SURPRISE!" from the marketeers™. We want a Carrara tsar (a grown up) who will help communicate our needs to DAZ and vice versa in ADULT language...

Carrara is supposedly a step UP from DAZ's other products. That's not arrogance for Carrara - it's just obvious. Carrara costs more, has more features out of the box. Carrara is the only modeler-content handler-renderer-all in one package (well, there is Bryce). It's just insulting that they think they can slap some Vicky bewbs on a website and Carrara will sell. DAZ has to stretch themselves a *little* if they want to own a bigboy app. Just a little....

It's like when they hear us Carrara moves a little forward.... The marketing for C8 was excellent. We got dedicated pages, the chamelian splash looks GREAT! More emphasis on the environment and modeling... It was a good move, very professional.... We lost momentum over the past year, but ok, it was a crushing recession and part of DAZ's overseas sales were because of a happy exchange rate that made lil ol' Utah a good value for Europe and Australia....

But now that times are tighter, and some real hard decisions had to be made and some quality people were let go... we get it. We live in that real world too. What I hate to see is DAZ trying to dumb it all back down to the "Gosh Gee Willikers" level.... That's not going to work with existing Carrara users and it's not going to set Carrara apart from the rest of their product line up.... You guys know me, I'm not all "Let's geek this to 11 like Blender...", but Carrara needs to be the Legos™ to D\S's Fisher Price™. A comfortable step up for a slightly more sophisticated userbase. Realistic communication is what keeps us engaged. For most of us the sales and sparklers are kind of silly at this point. It's fun, but not enough to keep us here.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Good! We now know 8.5 is coming by the end of this summer (northern hemisphere) and 9.0 could be out by the end of the year or early 2014.

I didn't count on much new being put in 8.5 as that's what we were told so many months ago. Nice to read the animation features will get some attention.

This news should stop all the idle speculation of Carrara's imminent end, but it probably won't. I'm hoping they have some more juicy tidbits to announce for 9.0 but I'll keep expectations low. They can only do so much.

edited December 1969

I think it was you Kevin who checked your purchase date on C8 as January 2011.... With a "normal" release cycle of about 18mo (and that is a loose 18mo) we are only like 5mos behind now... If we can get C8.5 by May/June then it is unusual but not catastrophic. Considering the leap to 64bit, and adding up all the features and tweaks from C8 - C8.5 -- yeah it has been long, but we are not dying. Mostly we can blame Genesis for the delay.... If someday I can have Genesis figures in Carrara that can wear my Gen 3 morphs on Gen4 clothes I will consider forgiveness... >:(

For C9 we were hoping for a new OpenGL preview and advancements to the timeline.... That could be revolutionary! If some of the sims get better (specifically HAIR and CLOTH), and multi-threading on all processes, and it's reasonable to expect that ERC will be better integrated (it was mentioned as a possible feature for C9)... Maybe DAZ could buy BrianOrca's Ocean, and Sparrowhawke's Jiggle.... C9 wouldn't be the overhaul that C8 has been but it could make some major leaps forward in animation just by getting us a faster preview and adopting some existing plugins....

C8 has been big.... C9 could just build on that without going to the moon. I'd be happy with C9 coming sooner and a little less ambitious, just tightening useability and animation tools.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited February 2013

The news of Carrara's demise has been greatly exaggerated...

That being said, I suspect the only reason we're going to even get an 8.5 is because DAZ all but swore on their children's grave they would do it. Otherwise, I think they would have went straight into C9. Either way, it doesn't matter, we're getting both and that's good. 8.5 will give us something to play with until 9 comes out.

As for 8.5, other than what has already been announced, I wouldn't expect much more. Maybe some enhancements/improvements to current features, but I doubt DAZ will put much into 8.5 that they could save and make more money on for C9. It just makes good business sense.

C9, however, is a different beast. I'm hoping when DAZ makes the "official" announcment about a future announcement here in the forum that they will reveal a couple of big things for C9 for us to look forward to. They've had more time to work on this version of Carrara than they have in several versions, so I'm hoping they have used that time wisely to add some big things (although I remain skeptical and hope to be proven wrong). As I've said before, Carrara has so much untapped potential, and I really wish DAZ would see it the same way.

So...I'll sit here now and wait for the "official" announcement from DAZ and see what they have to say. If anything, it should be interesting :-)

Post edited by Kodiak3d on
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

Im happy to hear daz will be taking their time with this update. it seems a complete rewrite for 4 operating systems and hardware now instead of patch work. Hopefully with those releases there will be a minimum of bugs and updates will be faster from then on. hopefully apple wont come out with os 10.9 anytime soon

edited December 1969

Look, some people may think this is a matter of semantics, but what most of us are saying is the same thing we always said: DAZ just doesn't know it's Carrara market very well. We are not asking for "GEE GOSH WILLIKERS LOOKY-LOOKY SPECIAL LEMON-PHRESH SURPRISE!" from the marketeers™. We want a Carrara tsar (a grown up) who will help communicate our needs to DAZ and vice versa in ADULT language...

Testify sister!

...Vicky bewbs...

:lol: I confess, I had to read that sentence a couple of times before it clicked... :red:

but Carrara needs to be the Legos™ to D\S's Fisher Price™.

Next time I'm in NYC, drinks are on me for that line. :)

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2013

I think it was you Kevin who checked your purchase date on C8 as January 2011.... With a "normal" release cycle of about 18mo (and that is a loose 18mo) we are only like 5mos behind now... If we can get C8.5 by May/June then it is unusual but not catastrophic. Considering the leap to 64bit, and adding up all the features and tweaks from C8 - C8.5 -- yeah it has been long, but we are not dying. Mostly we can blame Genesis for the delay.... If someday I can have Genesis figures in Carrara that can wear my Gen 3 morphs on Gen4 clothes I will consider forgiveness... >:(

For C9 we were hoping for a new OpenGL preview and advancements to the timeline.... That could be revolutionary! If some of the sims get better (specifically HAIR and CLOTH), and multi-threading on all processes, and it's reasonable to expect that ERC will be better integrated (it was mentioned as a possible feature for C9)... Maybe DAZ could buy BrianOrca's Ocean, and Sparrowhawke's Jiggle.... C9 wouldn't be the overhaul that C8 has been but it could make some major leaps forward in animation just by getting us a faster preview and adopting some existing plugins....

C8 has been big.... C9 could just build on that without going to the moon. I'd be happy with C9 coming sooner and a little less ambitious, just tightening useability and animation tools.

Yep, 'twas me.

Here's something that may help with the Gen 3 morphs on Gen 4 clothes. If you read the description down further, seems it will do just that. SickleYield pops into this forum. Maybe there's more light that can be shed...

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system

Here's the forum thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15492/

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

as long as I can use Genesis stuff without having to install DS4 I will be happy, then again not sure how much I will use it, but meh

edited December 1969

Here's something that may help with the Gen 3 morphs on Gen 4 clothes. If you read the description down further, seems it will do just that. SickleYield pops into this forum. Maybe there's more light that can be shed...

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system

Here's the forum thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15492/

ACK, I don't even know what all that is....! I'm not looking at this until I have Genesis in Carrara. I'm not BUYING anything Genesis until Carrara is finished. DAZ get's no Genesis money from me until it works in Carrara. I "bought" D|S4.5 for free but I haven't loaded it and I don't intend to. There's so many other pieces of software I will put me spare brain time towards before I pick up D|S (Poser for one)...

I did the same with M4 - refused to touch it. When the next version of C came out, yep all that M4 stuff for free. Genesis will be the same deal. If I am *forced* to pay for C8.5 to get my bug fixes then DAZ can sweeten the deal with all this Genesis stuff. I'm definitely NOT buying it twice - especially items I can't use now.

edited February 2013

The only thing i have bought for genesis was the mil3 morphs so I could use mil3 clothes in the autofit. Other then the creature creator I don't see anything else for genesis I need.

You can install Studio 4, let it install the content, then delete studio 4 and the content will stay. You don't have to have Studio on your comp to use genesis in carrara. {other then being limited to one skin UV. With studio you have choices, in carrara you don't}

Holly, you aren't paying for bug fixes, you are paying for genesis compatibility ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Am I missing something?

I followed the posted CarraraCafe link and read the post, but I don't see any information that is actually from any DAZ representative.

The post itself appears to be anonymous. It's unsigned and has no header indicating who it's from.
    None of the claims are attributed to any person at DAZ.

Taken as written, I see this as just more gossip and rumor, and wouldn't quote any of it as fact. There is nothing there that is directly traceable to a DAZ spokesperson.