Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455
    barbult said:
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

Loading the Figure "Ivan 7 HD" is not setting the Ivan 7 HD Details controller or the Ivan 7 Head HD Details morph. Both are left at 0. Try dialing them to 100% manually and submitting a help request about the problem.

I wonder if that's what happened with all the gals. 

I doubt it. The females just don't have much HD detail, even in the promos.

luci45 said:

The one HD that I like is for Ivan - it makes a huge difference on Raoul. For me on the youhger smoother characters HD is a waste of money. I also have HD for Creature Creators for GM2 and GF2 and they are good because they have more texture.

Attached are Raoul HD and without HD  Big difference to me. Subdivision level at 3 I think for both. 

Wow! I kick myself repeatedly for not buying Raul when he was on sale. He was even in my wishlist.

Me, too, but when he was on sale last, I didn't have Ivan & Ivan HD. Now I have them but not Raoul. :(

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I didn't even know about the presets, Novica. I was just inspecting the Surface pane contents since I was looking to see if there was displacement. Noticed HD only had Bump, didn't realize Base had Normal too until later.  By which I mean no maps were assigned to Normal. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

so I wanted to load up Raoul  and do a test render to show here, checking out the HD and subdivision level etc that we're all discussing. But as usual, I got carried away and did a full blow art. LOL. This is Raoul HD version, with "render SubD level" at 4. I checked the "currently used" and he does load with Ivan 7 HD head/body details at 100%. I have "pixel filter" at mitchell and 1.2, noise filter enabled also. Light is a rim spot and hdr from Fabi's "Theory of Light" at the other store. 

Click for larger details.

RaoulFinal.png
    800 x 1200 - 1M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2017

Ivan HD has been released since JULY 1st, 2016. 

So we discovered a significant flaw, that the HD isn't even TURNED ON for Ivan 7 HD for the head, after A YEAR?

Why would it turn on for Raoul? Does the vendor do that? 

Here he is with the HD Head ON, it was indeed off for my first renders. SubD is 3.  I'm not liking that smooth area on his cheek.

IvanHDRendSubD3Head100.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

I still have Michael 7 loaded in the scene, he does load with the HDs. He was rendered at a 3 SubD. Gianni is also still loaded (also a 3 SubD) and loads with the HDs. 

I'm still confused as to what I'm supposed to be looking for. In Surfaces, Gianni HD does not have a normal map. (Edit Neither does Michael 7 HD)  Is he supposed to? Spell this out for me. I know to go to Actor and see if the slider is 100% for the HD ones (and I take it from the other image, the regular should also be 100%. Like Gianni Head 100% and Gianni Head HD (or HD Head, whatever order) should also be 100%. ) 

So is that enough to get what I'm supposed to be getting from these products? Just making sure the sliders are right? (And SubD of 3)  Because typical customers shouldn't have to run around like chickens with their heads cut off fixing things. I'll dump those products in a heartbeat.

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited August 2017
    Novica said:

I still have Michael 7 loaded in the scene, he does load with the HDs. He was rendered at a 3 SubD. Gianni is also still loaded (also a 3 SubD) and loads with the HDs. 

I'm still confused as to what I'm supposed to be looking for. In Surfaces, Gianni HD does not have a normal map. (Edit Neither does Michael 7 HD)  Is he supposed to? Spell this out for me. I know to go to Actor and see if the slider is 100% for the HD ones (and I take it from the other image, the regular should also be 100%. Like Gianni Head 100% and Gianni Head HD (or HD Head, whatever order) should also be 100%. ) 

So is that enough to get what I'm supposed to be getting from these products? Just making sure the sliders are right? (And SubD of 3)  Because typical customers shouldn't have to run around like chickens with their heads cut off fixing things. I'll dump those products in a heartbeat.

Yes, I think you have it correct.

For Daz Original Characters (M7, Gianni 7, etc.)

1. Character head and body 100%
    2. Character head HD and body HD 100%
    3. Normals off in Surfaces pane (either no map or with map with settings 0) when HD morphs are on
    4. Edit: And Render SubD Level 3 or higher.

These are my opinions on how Daz intends the characters to be loaded. Ivan HD seems to have a bug.

Post edited by barbult on

Anyone ever tell you that you have the patience of a saint?  I'm in a mood but you answer me anyway. You're appreciated. (but it was delightful to see your "grrrrrrr" on the other post. LOL. You're human!)  

edited August 2017

Captain Charisma For Genesis 3 Male

(This used to be Ivan 7... ) 

captaincharisma.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Anyone ever tell you that you have the patience of a saint?  I'm in a mood but you answer me anyway. You're appreciated. (but it was delightful to see your "grrrrrrr" on the other post. LOL. You're human!) 

Absolutely nobody has ever described me as patient! I am willing to try to help people who are interested in learning, though.

@barbult   LOL, you'd better try a little harder... see the post above yours.

Novica said:

Captain Charisma For Genesis 3 Male

(This used to be Ivan 7... ) 

Do you think you understand now? It seems like you do.

Yep. I do!  Just think of all the people who don't surf the forums, who have used that product for A YEAR and aren't getting the results they should. Didn't anyone who bought him try him? Boggles the mind. (We didn't spot it right away, either. But seeing the lack of HD, should have been a clue for everyone else too.) 

Novica said:

Yep. I do!  Just think of all the people who don't surf the forums, who have used that product for A YEAR and aren't getting the results they should. Didn't anyone who bought him try him? Boggles the mind. (We didn't spot it right away, either. But seeing the lack of HD, should have been a clue for everyone else too.) 

I have several past renders of Ivan HD and I think I might have started with the regular Ivan and manually dialed in the HD morphs. I have at least one old render with both the HD morphs and the normals on. It is kind of overly HD, like the render I posted above. I didn't realize at the time that that was not how it was intended to be used. I credit the discussion you brought up here with helping me realize the problem and the solution. You did good!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Thanks so much for doing the HD renders. I haven't purchased any of the HD morphs yet so it's very helpful to see the renders you are posting so I know which ones are worth it if I decide to purchase any. I haven't decided if I want Michael 8 yet but I did get the head and body morphs and the expressions, so had some time tonite to test them out and here are the results of my dial spinning on G8M.   I think the skin is Gianni, but I tried several so I can't be sure and the hair is Asher hair for G3M.

G8M dialspinning2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 615K
    edited August 2017

Okay, time to have some fun.  Here's Captain Charisma with regular heads dialed in. Haven't tried it the other way, dialing the Captain in on regular guys. Maybe we should do a Toonfest and play around doing that. Anyway, here's a few for you,  the Captain with these heads: (open these and click, so much fun to see the heads changing!)  These do not enlarge, they are done at 400px so I can do more for you.  Not trying to do all the guys, will do 14 from A- whatever letter I get to.

These will actually show you what morphs are doing to your typical characters, if you think about it. It's exaggerated and more easily seen on a smooth character. All heads are dialed in at 100%.

AHEM. Not really happy with the ? difference in Carson and Chandler. Click back and forth on those two and you'll see exactly what I mean.  And you'll know when you get to them, after you have all these open and going back and forth.

Who is your favorite?

Arran, Arnaldo,  Awan, Brayden, Brett, Byron, Carson, Chandler, Cian, Cole, Corbin, Cypher,  Dale, Dante

Doing these small, so you'll have them to at least click on and open each in a new window then you can click back and forth. That's so much fun with these! 

captainArran100.png
    400 x 400 - 238K
    captainArnaldo100.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainAwan.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainBrayden.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainBrett.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainByron.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainCarson.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainChandler.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainCian.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainCole.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    captainCorbin.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainCypher.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainDale.png
    400 x 400 - 240K
    captainDante.png
    400 x 400 - 241K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited August 2017

A few test renders of Genesis 8 Male. There are only a few tweaks to shaping and the skin and cornea bulge. The first one is the default HDRI and the others are light sets I came across in my runtime which I decided to try out, https://www.daz3d.com/ultra-genesis-studio-vol-1-iray-box-lights. I don't usually use light sets :)

genesis8-male-001.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 373K
    genesis8-male-003.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 427K
    genesis8-male-004.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 226K
    genesis8-male-005.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 201K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Kharma said:

Thanks so much for doing the HD renders. I haven't purchased any of the HD morphs yet so it's very helpful to see the renders you are posting so I know which ones are worth it if I decide to purchase any. I haven't decided if I want Michael 8 yet but I did get the head and body morphs and the expressions, so had some time tonite to test them out and here are the results of my dial spinning on G8M.   I think the skin is Gianni, but I tried several so I can't be sure and the hair is Asher hair for G3M.

Hi @kharma   You're welcome, the other folks actually added more to the conversation than I did. I know I did the SubD 3 on all of the guys, but I don't know about the normal maps on all the gals. I still have the scene loaded so I'll go back and check, and post if I DON'T have SubD3 on all of them. Otherwise assume they are correct. 

Nice dial spins on G8M. I got wrapped up in this HD stuff and haven't even had a chance to do anything with him yet. Reading the Commons thread with interest about that bulging tricep discussion. As I mentioned here right when he got in the store, it sure looks pokey to me. In your render, he's a fine looking dude! Nicely done!

edited August 2017
    jakiblue said:

so I wanted to load up Raoul  and do a test render to show here, checking out the HD and subdivision level etc that we're all discussing. But as usual, I got carried away and did a full blow art. LOL. This is Raoul HD version, with "render SubD level" at 4.

@jakiblue  He looks great, love the details. 

Post edited by Novica on

@fishtales   Glad you  mentioned that light set, I haven't used it in awhile and I really should play. I really like your second one in particular. What did you do with the cornea bulge, is there an issue or tweak that is needed, or just personal preference? What do you think of Genesis 8 male overall?

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I end up dialing in trhe HD morphs all the time on PA characters, so I do end up with both the Normal maps ON and the HD morphs, so I guess i'm just used to that chiseled look. Even the version of Raoul presented as 'too much' just reminded me of my grandfather, popping veins and all. ;-)

This has been a good discussion. I don't exactly regret having Michael and Vicky and Gianni HD-forms since I know I didn't pay THAT much for them, but it's certainly killed my interest in acquiring any more. Normals are pretty damn awesome though, especially with limits turned off.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

The BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos is now in Fast Grab.

I'm on the fence about getting it. Can anyone recommend it? And what do you like most about it?

If there is a cornea bulge setting on a figure I generally try it as, to me, the eyes look 'flat' in the face where they should protrude slightly. It is set at 80% in these. I have only rendered his face so can't comment on the rest of him :)

L'Adair said:

I'm on the fence about getting it. Can anyone recommend it? And what do you like most about it?

I remembered the studio backdrop (with round corners so it's seamless) and the backgrounds, and I'll take a peek at it and depending on how complicated the set up is, I'll do one or two for you. (Going on 2am and I am trying to get back to a normal sleep schedule. Ha, that's a joke. But I'm trying.) If not tonight, I'll have by tomorrow as it should be in Fast Grab a bit longer- when did it get added in there? I didn't see it because I already have it.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is my first G8 male Render. I used the Brayden textures and the G3 Beach Vibes outfit

I struggled to  alter his expression. Do I need to get the morphs to do this?

Oh and I used the Boss Lighting in this picture - I find it useful.

Genesis8 male.jpg
    800 x 800 - 51K
    edited August 2017
    sueya said:

This is my first G8 male Render. I used the Brayden textures and the G3 Beach Vibes outfit

I struggled to  alter his expression. Do I need to get the morphs to do this?

Oh and I used the Boss Lighting in this picture - I find it useful.

A few quick tips on posing- If you select your character in Scene, then go to Parameters, you'll want to look for the Posing (not Actor, that changes the figure physically.) In Posing, go to Head>Expressions and see what you've got. You can move the sliders to get different combinations. I also really like to do Posing>Visme  (hope this is right, I am rendering right now and can't open it up.) 

Although the Posing>Expressions will change the many sections of the face face, sometimes you need to select individual parts. For me it is the eyes. I go to Posing>Head>Eyes and do the left and right, and up and down. I also like to use either close or squint, to avoid the deer-in-the-headlights-look. Your figure needs the eyes closed slightly. 

Also, a fast trick is to click on the head out in the viewport, then in Parameters you'll see Bend, Twist, Side to Side. Simply giving the head a bit of tilt will keep it from being boring. 

I'm doing a Boss light gal right now, and I did all those things. She'll be done in about fifteen minutes to half an hour. It's 5:30am and I decided to go ahead and get one done, then sleep in LOL. EDIT: Will have to show her tomorrow (well, today, midday) because she is only 70% done. 

Post edited by Novica on

Regarding Boss Lights- 

For me, it's similar to what I did with my Boo presets for the Ghost Lights. I've always done 5-9 lights in the scene, with the rim light, fill light, backlight, and I do side lights that are about 3/4 of the way to the front, then a set that is directly to the side, then the back lights which are 3/4 of the way from the front so they are in the "back/side." And of course, a light on top.  This set has strategically placed lights that by merely changing the intensity and color, you'll get a nice variety similar to that..

If you go to the product page and click on the ReadMe, the PDF will show you where the lights are and then you tweak the temperature (color) and intensity if you want to change the presets.

VERY easy to use.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

I remembered the studio backdrop (with round corners so it's seamless) and the backgrounds, and I'll take a peek at it and depending on how complicated the set up is, I'll do one or two for you. (Going on 2am and I am trying to get back to a normal sleep schedule. Ha, that's a joke. But I'm trying.) If not tonight, I'll have by tomorrow as it should be in Fast Grab a bit longer- when did it get added in there? I didn't see it because I already have it.

Some time after Daz Midnight today. I've gotten in the habit of checking Fast Grab when I check for the daily promos, and again in the early afternoon, so I can say for sure it wasn't there yesterday.

Thanks @ ladair   

The render won't be done for quite awhile, so I'm getting off the computer now and it will be afternoon before I'm back on.

I will say that yes, I recommend the Boss Lights, you can get looks similar to the Pro-Studio lights that I use and by changing the intensity on the lights, you'll get a wide variety of looks.

Are the BOSS lights that SLOW, or is the character in your scene that is making your render so slow, @Novica?
    edited August 2017

I did a full shot and used one of the supplied poses. It looks fine. I added Colin Hair and noticed that it shows the same skull shading that @Serene Night and I discussed a while ago. I tried lots of different settings on the scalp and the skin but it wouldn't disapear fully. I am sure it has something to do with the lighting rather than the products as it normally disapears with some lights and the angle they strike the face at.

Crouching pose.

Click on image for full size

Genesis 8

Colin Hair https://www.daz3d.com/colin-hair-for-genesis-3-males

2017-08-24 17:42:20.909 Total Rendering Time: 5 hours 4 minutes 9.44 seconds I stopped it and it still hadn't cleared.

Head showing ghosting from the skull cap of the hair. I also noticed the ear looks strange this close.

Click on image for full size.

genesis8-male-006.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 878K
    genesis8-male-007.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 566K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
This discussion has been closed.