What to choose for Iray renders? Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti/1060 or 1070

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited June 2017
    ...while with the i5 you didn't gain in processor threads it does have turbo boosting which the i3 didn't support. The power consumption is also lower than what I saw listed. So indeed it looks like you have a good match. I would download a couple power monitoring utilities just to keep an eye on how much the GPU and CPU are using. The utilities are cpuZ and gpuZ, both are free downloads. Have you rolled back to W7 yet?
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SPadhi89SPadhi89 Posts: 170
    edited June 2017

Ok, I am somewhat convinced.

Now, I want to make a complex scene, medieval battlfield. Do we have any software that can help us create crowds?

EDIT: HOW DO I DELETE THIS SAME POST?

Post edited by SPadhi89 on
    edited June 2017

Now, I want to make a complex scene, medieval battlfield. Do we have any software that can help us create crowds?

...there are a couple instancing plugins in the Daz store. Be careful though as any instancing or cloning will add to the memory load. BTW those pics look really good.
    kyoto kid said:

...there are a couple instancing plugins in the Daz store. Be careful though as any instancing or cloning will add to the memory load. BTW those pics look really good.

thanks, will look for them.. perhaps, I will have to mix up 3-4 scenes to get 1 complete scene

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

You can not delete a post, just edit one to remove all the text, only mods can delete the entry entirely.

There is this product that will quickly set up a chain of arriving soldiers

https://www.daz3d.com/a-distant-army-approaches

However if you want the figures wearing the armour of your choice, and posed as you want, then there is little option but to set up a scene yourself. You should use instancing as much as possible to save memory, and use the optimise for memory in the IRay render options. All background figures should be set to base resolution, and where possible make them share skin textures (or remove all the skin textures if the figures are covered in armour). Below is a battle scene I set up, it is Roman, not medieval, but similar techniques to what I have described were used to ensure the entire scene rendered in my 4GB nVidia card, so a similar scene would fit on your card. Naturally for scenes with even greater complexity you could render it in parts, and merge together the different renders with Photoshop.

Note most of the figures in my render are using the M3 model, which is a pretty old figure, but you can use the Genesis figures aswell, since at base resolution they have less polys than the figure I was using.

Siege Tower.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 244K
  • Okay, money gone, nothing can be done!!

Let me be happy with what I have now :)

your renders look great. glad the 1060 works for you. I only gpu render. The faster gpu means your scenes will load and be sent to the gpu better. Once it gets on the gpu just let it do it's optimized job.

Havos said:

You can not delete a post, just edit one to remove all the text, only mods can delete the entry entirely.

There is this product that will quickly set up a chain of arriving soldiers

https://www.daz3d.com/a-distant-army-approaches

However if you want the figures wearing the armour of your choice, and posed as you want, then there is little option but to set up a scene yourself. You should use instancing as much as possible to save memory, and use the optimise for memory in the IRay render options. All background figures should be set to base resolution, and where possible make them share skin textures (or remove all the skin textures if the figures are covered in armour). Below is a battle scene I set up, it is Roman, not medieval, but similar techniques to what I have described were used to ensure the entire scene rendered in my 4GB nVidia card, so a similar scene would fit on your card. Naturally for scenes with even greater complexity you could render it in parts, and merge together the different renders with Photoshop.

Note most of the figures in my render are using the M3 model, which is a pretty old figure, but you can use the Genesis figures aswell, since at base resolution they have less polys than the figure I was using.

it will be a close battle scene.. cavalry charge..spears/pikes/daggers pierceing through enemy soldiers, thrwoing them in air, horses trampling some others under thier hooves.. etc..atleast 10 figures

Okay, money gone, nothing can be done!!

Let me be happy with what I have now :)

your renders look great. glad the 1060 works for you. I only gpu render. The faster gpu means your scenes will load and be sent to the gpu better. Once it gets on the gpu just let it do it's optimized job.

yup. happy with all renders, now time to test realism and make scenes look realistic.

edited June 2017

GPUZ Thing.. 

What do you infer from these pics?

I think everything is looking good for me here.

But the rendering started taking too much time. Just 2 characters, 6 lights, some props this time. Very close up render.

gpuzz.gif
    400 x 494 - 24K
    gpuz.gif
    400 x 494 - 15K
    CPU and GPU usage during a render with 2 characters.png
    1055 x 609 - 113K
    Render became slow.png
    371 x 417 - 19K
  • GPUZ Thing.. 

But the rendering started taking too much time. Just 2 characters, 6 lights, some props this time. Very close up render.

6 lights are a lot of lights. that is going to slow down any gpu.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 764

97% in just 1.5 hours is still a marked improvement over the 6+ hours you mentioned you were averaging with your CPU.  My Hall of Mirrors took Iray two days to process 139,715 samples and reach 99% convergeance using my first 980 Ti.

Me thinks you should start work on developing some patience.  I don't imagine every project you do will be done in mere minutes.  ;)

Nyghtfall said:

97% in just 1.5 hours is still a marked improvement over the 6+ hours you mentioned you were averaging with your CPU.  My Hall of Mirrors took Iray two days to process 139,715 samples and reach 99% convergeance using my first 980 Ti.

Me thinks you should start work on developing some patience.  I don't imagine every project you do will be done in mere minutes.  ;)

hahahah :)

Indeed, I should learn patience :)

I am meditating now while the GPU is doing its work. I'm in a devine condition of body and mind which typically recurs for several hours every night, in which the nervous system is inactive, the eyes closed, the muscles relaxed, and consciousness practically suspended.

I am meditating now while the GPU is doing its work. I'm in a devine condition of body and mind which typically recurs for several hours every night, in which the nervous system is inactive, the eyes closed, the muscles relaxed, and consciousness practically suspended.

"Ooooohhhmmmm..."

Iray: 92.6% of image converged
    Iray: Iteration 2938

"Ooooohhhmmmm!..."

Iray: Render canvas was written.

"Ooooohhhmmmm!!..."

edited June 2017
    Nyghtfall said:

"Ooooohhhmmmm..."

"Ooooohhhmmmm!..."

"Ooooohhhmmmm!!..."

laugh

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

GPUZ Thing.. 

The critical stat is the "Memory Used" part of your GPU sensor, ie 4224 MB in your example. This seems pretty high to me for just 2 characters, so I guess you are using some high resolution textures on the clothing, as 2 Genesis 3 characters + skins should not use that much (at least they do not on my system). Depending on how much W10 is reserving of your GPU (you can see the max available memory if you look inside the DAZ log file, the info is printed out when DAZ starts up). I suspect you will have around 5GB available, so you will not have much wiggle room to add much more to that scene without first seeing if there is any memory that could be saved.

I would not say 6 lights is that much, though it depends on what the light is. If one is a mesh light on a high poly object that will slow things down.

Havos said:

GPUZ Thing.. 

The critical stat is the "Memory Used" part of your GPU sensor, ie 4224 MB in your example. This seems pretty high to me for just 2 characters, so I guess you are using some high resolution textures on the clothing, as 2 Genesis 3 characters + skins should not use that much (at least they do not on my system). Depending on how much W10 is reserving of your GPU (you can see the max available memory if you look inside the DAZ log file, the info is printed out when DAZ starts up). I suspect you will have around 5GB available, so you will not have much wiggle room to add much more to that scene without first seeing if there is any memory that could be saved.

I would not say 6 lights is that much, though it depends on what the light is. If one is a mesh light on a high poly object that will slow things down.

6 spot lights from different angles... and i will check how much memory is avaiable for me next time I start DAZ.

Nyghtfall said:

"Ooooohhhmmmm..."

"Ooooohhhmmmm!..."

"Ooooohhhmmmm!!..."

...being on the CPU, for  "ooooooooohhhhhhmmmm..." I substitute tasks like.

"make a pot of tea"

"check emails"

"check the forums"

"check baseball/football scores" (depnding on the season)

"put clothes in washer"

"put clothes in dryer"

"fold or hang clothes up"

...etc...

edited June 2017

...CPU-Z will show you how much power the CPU, HDD, and GPU are drawing as well as CPU core temps. As you are cutting it close to the recommended PSU output it is good to keep an eye on this.

Okay, will do that!

edited June 2017
    kyoto kid said:

As you are cutting it close to the recommended PSU output it is good to keep an eye on this.

And that's why you buy a 1000W PSU.  \nn/ (>.<) \nn/

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on

...yeah but he doesn't have the extra funds right now, so best to keep a watchful eye on his system.for now until he can afford to upgrade. 

kyoto kid said:

...yeah but he doesn't have the extra funds right now, so best to keep a watchful eye on his system.for now until he can afford to upgrade. 

Right.  Good point.  :: packs air guitar away ::

...closes lid on air piano.
  • EtheralEtheral Posts: 91
    edited June 2017

If his PC isn't shutting itself off after 20 seconds of rendering, the PSU is fine. The 450w means almost nothing. All that matters for his GPU is the power output on the 12v rail which varies between PSUs. There are 500w power supplies that can drive a graphics card better than a 750w because the output on the rails varies between power supplies.

Post edited by Etheral on

...exceeding the power limit of hte PSU though is a thin line to tread. If the PSU is running at peak output most of the time, it will fail earlier.  Extra overhead prevents this. and the cost is not all that greater. Consider it an "insurance policy".

edited June 2017

you guys are scaring me ..

the GPU consumes around 60% of its TDP while rendering. idke state its around 10%.

I used CPU Z as Kyoto suggested, but I couldn't find anything that explins my power consumption.

Further, I haave this i5 processor 65W TDP(whatever)

GTX 1060 120W TDP

8 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

a CPU cooling fan from Cooler Master plugged into MB, no extra power supply needed.

no cd/dvd writer or anything else. yeah double checked.

PSU is Cooler MAster Thunder 450W rated at..um...at....dont know. Check this for your understanding: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/office-home-thunder/thunder-450w/

you recommend me to get new PSU?

If yes.. then I will have to look for commissions :(

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

With a 65w CPU you should be just fine.  Now if you are still worried, you can always uncheck the CPU from your Iray settings.

Havos said:

GPUZ Thing.. 

please check the attached file. It sats 5.9 and what is Number of Texture Units: 4

DAZ shows 5.9 GB memory available.png
    1071 x 411 - 51K
    JamesJAB said:

With a 65w CPU you should be just fine.  Now if you are still worried, you can always uncheck the CPU from your Iray settings.

okay, will upgrade the PSU when I have gold.

kyoto kid said:

...CPU-Z will show you how much power the CPU, HDD, and GPU are drawing as well as CPU core temps. As you are cutting it close to the recommended PSU output it is good to keep an eye on this.

Kyoto, where in CPU Z?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Why not wait and save and get the 1080ti.

i can understand what u r saying... but sometimes its hard to save.

With computer tech I find it easy.

Not only do I end up getting a better deal (very often by saving and waiting), but something new turns up on occasions too... Which means I have to save more. :)