Daz Studio's Render Engine Not relevant???

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

I am not really into VR yet, but Octane render in Unity could also make regular, very good images very quickly

with a quality comparable to iray renders.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,767

Is that available yet... and in the free version of Unity??

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2017
    Artini said:

Yes, it looks very interesting. They just say it will be available during 2017, but I could not find when it happens, exactly.

He said they are about to go to Alpha. That means some of Unity's biggest and best spending customers that have interest in this technology to use like 'right now' will be alpha testing.

From there it is somewhat nebulous when it goes to beta. It could go to Beta very fast depending on the scope and problems in the Alpha phase or it could take a while if the Alpha phase has many problems.

The Beta test phase is when the general public (aka hobbyists and monnlighting dreamers) can test if they wish too. Betas are generally designed to run from 3 - 6 months. Unity will push the release of a feature back further in time rather than delay release too long though if a beta feature is holding up a bunch of other features that are ready for release.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited May 2017
    wolf359 said:

Is that available yet... and in the free version of Unity??

No. The man in the Unity conference that is a rep of OToy said they are going to Alpha with it & that it will be FREE! Given that is is almost June and they are just going to Alpha I think it may be a Sep - Dec timeframe before we see it go to Beta. Once it goes to Beta you will be able to download and use it, even commercially although it's more risky to use a Beta to release than to use a release to release but as a moonlighter and not a big business you can do those things.

As far as the VR goes, I have interest in it but feel it is too expensive and they need to make the VR/AR hardware 1 & the same, maybe but putting a blind over the AR 'glasses' to make them VR 'glasses'.

Gamers do more socializing than is supposed in popular press and these AR/VR glasses are somewhat socially and environmentally isolating when you have them on. It's sort of like being in a cave and having the part rangers demonstrate what near pitch darkness is to you by turning off the lights. It's is somewhat unnatural and unnerving. Those had better be very good VR/AR environments to motivate people to deprive themselves of the undoubtably real environment around them that is 100% free.

"As far as the VR goes, I have interest in it but feel it is too expensive and they need to make the VR/AR hardware 1 & the same, maybe but putting a blind over the AR 'glasses' to make them VR 'glasses'.

Gamers do more socializing than is supposed in popular press and these AR/VR glasses are somewhat socially isolating."

Also VR is sort of flopping at the moment

https://sierrafoothillcommentary.com/2017/05/20/green-screen-review-26-vr-headsets-get-stuck-on-shelves/

I

wolf359 said:

"As far as the VR goes, I have interest in it but feel it is too expensive and they need to make the VR/AR hardware 1 & the same, maybe but putting a blind over the AR 'glasses' to make them VR 'glasses'.

Gamers do more socializing than is supposed in popular press and these AR/VR glasses are somewhat socially isolating."

Also VR is sort of flopping at the moment

https://sierrafoothillcommentary.com/2017/05/20/green-screen-review-26-vr-headsets-get-stuck-on-shelves/

Personally I think VR/AR will succeed for the right products and applications (eg Amazon virtual changing room where people trying on clothing want to keep how they look in different clothing private) but games I'm not so sure (personally)... 

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

Wolf359, why are you using the word "never"?  Have you spoken to every single person who uses Daz Studio?  I ALWAYS render in Daz Studio, still and animation!  I am having a love affair with IRAY and I'm more interested in DS than ever before!  3Delight is ok but IRAY is amazing!  The animation tools are a little sucky but I'm waiting for them to be upgraded.  I started using Poser in 2000 and moved to DS in 2008.  I have other 3D programs but I use them as "plugin" for DS!  I won't render in any other program.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069

FWIW - I'm doing this as a hobby, with no real intention of making money off 3D. For that matter, probably 95% of the renders I do and scenes I knock together are learning experiences that I don't bother to keep. So Iray and 3DL work just fine for my needs. I tend to do more with Iray because I've a fair bit of experience shooting 35mm slides and the lighting makes more sense than 3DL. But 3DL is much easier to set up for non-photo-realistic images, and I do those as well.

namffuak said:

FWIW - I'm doing this as a hobby, with no real intention of making money off 3D. For that matter, probably 95% of the renders I do and scenes I knock together are learning experiences that I don't bother to keep. So Iray and 3DL work just fine for my needs. I tend to do more with Iray because I've a fair bit of experience shooting 35mm slides and the lighting makes more sense than 3DL. But 3DL is much easier to set up for non-photo-realistic images, and I do those as well.

Well this is where DAZ Studio can easily improve for us usurs as I have not training in photography and I would like once of those Digital Camera Prosumer Cameras style icon interfaces for changing camera settings in DAZ Studio. It's not like that would exclude all this other 'professional photograph' UI in DAZ Studio like DOF, FOV, ISO, and so on if they were to add it...

"Wolf359, why are you using the word "never"?  Have you spoken to every single person who uses Daz Studio?

No... I have made no such claim so why are you asking me if i have done so?? 
    please go and read the original question.

I am asking about those who's final  Daz content renders ,still or animated, are never completed in Daz studio but elswhere like carrara, octane,blender etc.

"I ALWAYS render in Daz Studio, still and animation!  "

Lovely ..Bloody good for you mate.
    so clearly you have nothing to contribute to a discussion about rendering Daz content outside of Daz studio.....thanks for stopping by though.wink

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    edited August 2017

I think Daz Studio iray renderer will still remain relevant for me.

Finally I have rendered the free scene for free Octane render in free version of Unity

The Forest | OctaneRender for Unity Sample Asset
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/96587

and the scene is very slow to load into Unity and render in it - at least on my computer.

If someone is interested, below are links for Octane render engine for Unity:

https://unity.otoy.com/guides/installation/

https://unity.otoy.com/roadmap/

It looks like only the basics of Octane will be free, the more advanced options will come with payed subscription.

scr04.jpg
    1119 x 1151 - 199K
    scr05.jpg
    1277 x 1017 - 284K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,138

Studio is for me only a provider of assets and I render in Bryce since there are two different native render engines built in. I'm hardly do characters, so the poor performance of skin in Bryce doesn't concern me much.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited August 2017
    wolf359 said:

Hi
    Out of pure curiosity I was wondering how many people NEVER
    do Final renders (still or animated), in Daz studio??
    if not where do you render  your Daz Content??.

Me: Maxon Cinema4D for animations and Blender cycles for stills

I also Never used poser for final renders even back in my poser4 days
    I exported to Bryce and later C4D when I became a Maxon user.

Daz (and formerly poser) have always been just a figure content resource for me to use in other programs.

anyone other outliers here?.

Hi Wolf., Good question.

I am just a hobby amature animator  so I have no need to invest in anything more than what I am doing so I do all my animation and still rendering  right in the daz stutio program so the daz render engine iRAY and 3DL are pretty relevant to my needs. as hobby user.

as a  illustrator, I use  Adobe Software for post work to help me accomplish those task.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

For me it's not an either/or thing. For characters it's kind of a no-brainer for me to render in Iray in Studio. I love it. But I also like to composite those renders on top of renders from other software that might have strengths in other areas. For example, landscapes, or fluid sims, or vegetation (populating the scene via the particle system), and so on. For example, I can generate all of those things very quickly in Blender using built-in features, and to do it in Studio would be either expensive (buying all the content) or not give me as much control. That's not always the case, but as with anything it depends. Especially high rez landscapes with vegetation, which might consume huge amounts of memory in other apps, have some features in Blender to drastically limit memory usage. 

So really it depends on what I'm doing at the time. But I suppose a majority of the time it's just Studio renders.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited August 2017

...being on a tight budget, I have to make due with what I can get in Daz and Carrara.

Paying almost 600$ for Octane and the appropriate programme plugin is a "big ticket" expense when you are on a fixed retirement income.

The only third party render engine I purchased (actually just the Daz interface) was Reality (about 40$) which with the release of 4.x became buggy as heck and shortly thereafter, Lux development scrapped their GPU + CPU assisted rendering mode (I had dual 3 GB HD 7950s at the time).  I eventually uninstalled everything and removed the 7950s from the system as I do not do gaming and thus, they served little if any other purpose except for taxing my PSU. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2017

I see increasingly good art in DAZ Studio renders in the past 1 1/2 year from hobbyists that have messed with DS very little in doing their renders so I'd say DS is very relevant and very good. That wouldn't be happening unless DAZ Studio and the DAZ Store's products were getting better.

edited August 2017

...agreed.

I remember the days of the old "Realistc Renders" thread where we pushed 3DL to and even past its limits, mostly in vain. Even UE fell short (and was a real resource hog).  Never expected that I could ever get the high quality results in Daz like I now can do with Iray.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

For anyone who's wondering, I wouldn't recommend Octane. I made the mistake of purchasing a license, but setting up the Iray materials for a complex scene is virtually impossible. It's also not significantly faster than Iray. 

Octane Alpha is available in Unity 2017.1p4 if you want to try it free.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

I've never rendered anything in Studio, ever.  Not even a test render.  I use it solely as a figure setup tool, and very rarely even for that, mostly for the transfer utility function so I can rig or re-rig clothing from one figure to another.  Just my personal impression and a general stereotype (and I don't want to offend), but the vast majority of 3delight renders I've seen led me to the belief it is the worst/lowest-quality render engine out there.  I understand there may be a few tremendously skilled users who know exactly how to fine tune the renderer to get good results, but my instinctive response is that I do not like what 3delight produces at all.  

Iray of course looks 1000% better, and has been a real asset now that it's added to Studio, but still nowhere near enough to draw me into use Studio as anything but a minor plugin to my workflow.

All my rendering is either with Carrara or the Octane plugin for Carrara.  And nearly all of my workflow is there too, to be honest. Although I also have Poser, Hex, Blender, Bryce and Thearender, but not much of that ever gets used.

...I agree about Carrara. It has possibly one of the best biased engines. I can get near photographic quality with it. Again at thus point my priority is to focus my resources on building a beefier workstation that has Carrara in mind rather than dumping a big wad of finances on a GPU card, render engine, and plugin for the very limited outdated system I currently have.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Actually I wish we could get Bryce materials into DS instead.  Some years back there was a PA who had translated some Bryce materials to 3dl with fantastic results unfortunately DS was updated and the shaders never were.

EilirWorks. Yeah, I miss those.   Kept hoping they would be updated, or somebody would find a way to reverse engineer them or create an adapter to make them work or something.  So much lost.

ShaderShop for DAZ Studio Bundle:
    Water Shaders for DAZ Studio Vol I
    Water Shaders for DAZ Studio Vol II
    Architectural Shaders for DAZ Studio
    Marble Shaders for DAZ Studio
    Metal Shaders for DAZ Studio
    Terrain Shaders for DAZ Studio Vol I
    Terrain Shaders for DAZ Studio Vol II

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795

As of last week, I am rendering in Arnold.... and I'm never going back unless Daz Studio pulls a miracle out of its pocket for version 5.

drzap said:

As of last week, I am rendering in Arnold.... and I'm never going back unless Daz Studio pulls a miracle out of its pocket for version 5.

Cool!! are you using Arnold with C4D??

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited August 2017
    wolf359 said:
    drzap said:

No.  I'm using that plugin you referred me to.  It's not officially released yet, but I've been working with the developer for the last week or so while he's ironing out the bugs.  It works great.  Also, Redshift leaves me breathless, its so fast.  So I'm running two instances of Maya.   For character scenes, especially closeups, I'm using Maya and it's beautiful skin shaders (It's pretty fast too).  In the other instance, I'm rendering another scene with Redshift on my GPU.   My poor render machine.  I work her so hard.

Post edited by drzap on
    drzap said:
    wolf359 said:
    drzap said:

No.  I'm using that plugin you referred me to.  It's not officially released yet, but I've been working with the developer for the last week or so while he's ironing out the bugs.  It works great.  Also, Redshift leaves me breathless, its so fast.  So I'm running two instances of Maya.   For character scenes, especially closeups, I'm using Maya and it's beautiful skin shaders (It's pretty fast too).  In the other instance, I'm rendering another scene with Redshift on my GPU.   My poor render machine.  I work her so hard.

Excellent!!

Hope to see you post some samples when you get the time yes

• ButchButch Posts: 797

I bought octane a few months before iray was released and still enjoy using it.  There are plenty of built-in free shaders that I can use, so I don't need to buy anything extra.  Although I don't do many complex scenes, if a render's taking more than an hour to complete, I've done something wrong.

edited August 2017

...so for those of us who don't have the financial resources to afford working with pro grade software and costly 3rd party render engines, we need to fugure out how to make the "irrelevant" built in render engines we use to work to our best advantage. It will mean learning how to better tweak materials, creating normal, bump, and displacement maps etc.

I'll never forget that one image of Teen Princess Leila that was on the site's front page several months ago. It can be done even with these "imperfect" tools we use.

• Yeah, Daz is stuck in 2D. I use Lightwave and Octane for lightwave is cool. I'm gearing up for VR. Unity and other things like Iclone and 3D animation are the future. I'm just waiting on the VR glasses to cross the 1st generation. 1st generation stuff is always too expensive and clunky. The resolution on the glasses is too low and they need to be smaller and wireless. The video cards need to be stronger and have more memory. The PC developers are still thinking 2d flat screen as so the tech has not caught up. The companies are trying to recoup their investment in research and development for VR and the 1st gen purchasers are the ones who pay the bill. Daz is into selling 3d for small snapshots but VR is about open enviroments and interaction. Once VR really kicks in character sales will really start to fall because people are going to want to walk thru cool enviroments not just stare at a still monster on their screen. Carrara has some nice enviroment tools that could with some upgrades be made to work with VR but DAZ would have to change their business model and that is hard on profits. So that is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Hey on the bright side the future looks great for 3D and VR. We should start to see new technology with VR in mind soon. Maybe not nervegear but more realistic goals like 3d sculpting and interative gloves and tools for working directly in VR.

edited August 2017

...that is the future. I'm looking at the "now".

We will see 3D VR modelling and sculpting primarily for the overly expensive pro grade software and workstations as it will take a fair amount of horsepower to drive it.   It will take time to "trickle down" to us hobbyists with our little desktop PCs/Macs, and like our render engines, most likely will not be as "robust". 

I used to paint and draw until arthritis took that away from me which is why I became involved in 3D CG.  I have no issue with rendering to a 2D format that I can then print and hang at an art exhibition for many to view at once, unlike VR which is a "one on one" experience.  Oh, I agree, VR will be great for games and animations, for still images...meh...not so much.

I've arrived at the point that I don't care to compete against those with professional level software and systems. I just want to create the best works I can with what I have at my disposal.  We seem to be drifting towards a consensus here where the tools apparently do seem to matter more than the hands and minds that use them.