Daz Studio's Render Engine Not relevant???

wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Hi
Out of pure curiosity I was wondering how many people NEVER
do Final renders (still or animated), in Daz studio??
if not where do you render  your Daz Content??.

Me: Maxon Cinema4D for animations and Blender cycles for stills

I also Never used poser for final renders even back in my poser4 days
I exported to Bryce and later C4D when I became a Maxon user.

Daz (and formerly poser) have always been just a figure content resource for me to use in other programs.

anyone other outliers here?.

Comments

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

I use Iray and Lightwave for rendering, though I have also used 3Delight a lot as well, so I have made quite extensive use of DAZ Studio's render engines.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I render in Daz Studio using Iray all the time.  Being able to leverage the processing power of my GPU makes all the difference in the world.  Before getting a GTX 1060 final renders where far and few between, because of how long it took to render and I would almost always need to do postwork to make 3delight renders presentable.  Now if I spot something going strange during an Iray render, I just stop it, fix it and render again.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I use DAZ Studio for renders but I am hoping (actually waiting) for Unity to finish their integration of the OToy Octane Renderer. Rendering in Blender is also tempting too later.

Currently I am doing a tutorial in how to create a landscape from a USGS geological map by importing it into Blender. I bought a Unity asset to do that but honestly those products are lacking when one does coastlines or riveredges because the USGS maps themselves are lacking. I will have to makeup a waterbed that is reasonably believable without it having a chance of being accurate.

My intent with that is both to import the landscape I create into DAZ Studio for an iRay render and also to import into Unity for a game I am making.

I'd like to be able to render in all three with ease. For animation I will stick to Unity for now as they are improving them much more then it is now although I only retarget mostly animations others have motion captured and sold in the Unity Asset Store.

I ought to sit down a few weeks and do those Blender animation tutorials as the type animations I want to do will never be sold in game asset stores as the focus in those asset stores is mostly violence. 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

As an FWIW, Bryce can import USGS DEM and DDF formats quite nicely, and it wil export them as well...

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

"I'd like to be able to render in all three with ease. For animation I will stick to Unity for now as they are improving them much more then it is now although I only retarget mostly animations others have motion captured and sold in the Unity Asset Store."

Hi 
    are you actually rendering Daz content in unity??
    I have the latest unity(free version)
    I would like to know how rendering is done in unity.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

i was a poser user for 5+ years before using DS and with it, used to export scenes from it to Maxwell, Vray and Luxrender since I worked for a game studio that had access to all the high end toys. Reality/Luxrender is what got me hooked on DS and finally learning it. Since then I have done most of my renders in Luxrender, some in marmoset toolbag, Kerkythea, and octane since I no longer have access to the high end toys or can afford them (pirated versions are not an option)

With Iray now, I rarely use luxrender since having Iray built into DS makes my work flow much more efficient. I have tried a few times to get products out of DS and into 3DSMax, but it is just too much work, so I just stick to use DS since it all works as advertised. If anything I import more and more INTO daz studio such as game models from the games I play, mesh that I have developed for game addons and render ideas

• I used to render everyting in Modo, but Iray is good enough—and much easier than retexturing things—that I switched to Iray fulltime. I'm sometimes tempted, but converting the PBS materials is a lot of work, so I'd need to be working on a project that used a lot of the same resources a bunc hf times before I'd do that. 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

I use studio iray when I render people, moslty because it's a pain in the ass to get people looking good in a reasonable ammount of time in other programs. If I could simple export and import into another program, I might be rendering elsewhere.

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911

There's probably not many people that render in other engines because of how time consuming it is to setup the materials and lack of scripts to convert from DAZ/Poser formats.

• EtheralEtheral Posts: 91

I use iray. Getting photorealistic results with GPU rendering is nice. Though I wish the way iray handled displacements was better.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited May 2017

I make my renders mostly in Daz Studio iray, Poser Superfly and Firefly, Unity and Bryce. Wish to learn how to make the good renders in Blender,

but I have not figured out, how to transfer materials from Daz Studio assets, that looks good in Blender, yet.

Post edited by Artini on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846

I render all my work with DAZ Studio's Iray. In the future I am hoping to move to iClone 7 and use their new real-time PBR render engine a lot more.

For me the two external render engines that require the least amount of work with imported Daz content is Maxon Cinema4D
     and Blender with the free mcjTeleblender script.

with C4D I simply export from DS with the collect textures option checked and import to C4D using my poser scale preset and I am ready to start lighting rendering.

And the teleblender script  auto convert DS materials to Blender cycle nodes for PBR rendering.

IRay Looks Great!! but I just hate its Dumb Brute force/Specific Nvidia Hardware dependant approach to rendering. 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800

In earle P4,P5and P6 days I rendered my scenes in C4D. I actally used Poser's firefly render for awhile since P7. Better hardware made it possible. Firefly was not to bad, but later I switched to the Reality bridge or OctaneRender. I never used 3delight in DS. I just don't like its render results. Since Iray, I am a DS and an Iray fan. No need for another renderer. It whould be the iceing with a cherry on a pie, if Daz could reanimate Carrara with full G3 and up support and Iray.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm rendering daz content in carrara.  

edited May 2017
    hacsart said:

As an FWIW, Bryce can import USGS DEM and DDF formats quite nicely, and it wil export them as well...

Oh wow! Thanks. I will try as the instructions for Blender have me jumping through hoops installing a half dozen different SW (apache, gdal, other stuff I've never heard of, ...) to convert the USGS maps to a format that Blender can handle.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited May 2017
    wolf359 said:

"I'd like to be able to render in all three with ease. For animation I will stick to Unity for now as they are improving them much more then it is now although I only retarget mostly animations others have motion captured and sold in the Unity Asset Store."

Hi 
    are you actually rendering Daz content in unity??
    I have the latest unity(free version)
    I would like to know how rendering is done in unity.

No, I am not yet what you or I or anyone here would call rendering in Unity. I have imported and integrated some DAZ 3D (or other PA I've paid licensing fees too) some DAZ models into some game concepts that are slowly taking form. For animation and not games I don't eve need those licensing those which you should keep in mind. For a novice like me it's wiser to wait for the oToy Octane integration to complete to do actual realistic rendering although the default Unity shader is a PBR shader it's simplified to render at gaming speeds (and even at that overwhelms my laptop in environments when I add too much complexity). So the ability to 'render a still image' is technically not going to be there until Otoy Octane render and now is in truth just saving frames from game rendering out it's stills. 

However, if you want to render (and animate) now in Unity I would suggest that you look at their Adam 'mini-movie'. However, notice they choose to use robotic type Androids and intermixed metalic and plastics man-made environment with a arid deset environment to speed up render times and to simplify the renders so that they could make them look realistic. It's still quite nice though but beyond the computing power I have, it would be a good learning experience for you about Unity. 

I am excited about the animation and rendering improvements Unity has on their product features roadmap (which is publically available at their website).  

https://unity3d.com/pages/adam

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

If you have Daz Studio's TerraDome3, would be interesting to apply some of the TD3 materials to Bryce output.

Personally, the big thing for me is all the shaders I have for Iray, and no clear competing renderer at my disposal. I don't use Blender, and LuxRender never impressed me, so...

"I am excited about the animation and rendering improvements Unity has on their product features roadmap (which is publically available at their website).  

https://unity3d.com/pages/adam";

Thanks I have seen that Adam video which is why I am so intrigued
    by the quality of the rendered animation.
    I suppose I need to hunker down and learn Unity at some point
    after I finish my current animated movie project with C4D.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

They haven't chimed in yet, but I know there are folk rendering with Octane.

• ArtbyphilArtbyphil Posts: 91
    edited May 2017

I do pretty much all of my renders in Daz Studio using both Iray and the 3Delight renderers. I use Iray on the desktop PC but 3Delight on my laptop which is old and clunky :)

Post edited by Artbyphil on
    wolf359 said:

"I am excited about the animation and rendering improvements Unity has on their product features roadmap (which is publically available at their website).  

https://unity3d.com/pages/adam";

Thanks I have seen that Adam video which is why I am so intrigued
    by the quality of the rendered animation.
    I suppose I need to hunker down and learn Unity at some point
    after I finish my current animated movie project with C4D.

Well your patience isn't a bad thing as they are just now improving all of that and I don't know exactly what capabilities they are adding to the animation timeline.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166
    wolf359 said:

anyone other outliers here?.

(Waving his arms from the back 40)...there's me.   Blender and Cycles make a wonderful combination.  I won't get sucked into the cash cow called Iray and it's lack of documentation (unless you're a content creator).  Free and open source is always better.  Then there's that amazing Blender community with reams of excellent and free instructional material. 

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited May 2017

Same here 3DL at 1st Lux now iray. Works really well specially with the new rig..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

If you have Daz Studio's TerraDome3, would be interesting to apply some of the TD3 materials to Bryce output.

Personally, the big thing for me is all the shaders I have for Iray, and no clear competing renderer at my disposal. I don't use Blender, and LuxRender never impressed me, so...

You can easily export a Bryce terrain to DS then apply those shaders to it.

Actually I wish we could get Bryce materials into DS instead.  Some years back there was a PA who had translated some Bryce materials to 3dl with fantastic results unfortunately DS was updated and the shaders never were.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324

I still like rendering with both DS 3DL and Iray.   rarely with luxrender anymore.

Just an update on Octane Render in Unity:

Artini said:

Just an update on Octane Render in Unity:

Wow, very cool. They will be must more sophisticated and powerful than I thought with those tools being integrated into Unity.

edited May 2017

Yes, it looks very interesting. They just say it will be available during 2017, but I could not find when it happens, exactly.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2017
    Artini said:

Yes, it looks very interesting. They just say it will be available during 2017, but I could not find when it happens, exactly.

This looks good however the VR market is having
    a bit of a rough go at the moment frown
    https://sierrafoothillcommentary.com/2017/05/20/green-screen-review-26-vr-headsets-get-stuck-on-shelves/

Post edited by wolf359 on