Disney Princesses... (Belle WIP)

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Elspathswd, your six year old just made my day!!! It's exactly who I'm trying to impress :) What is his or her fist name?

Ladyofmanyfaces, thank you so very much!

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I don't think so. I wanted to approach it from the perspective of going from the realistic to the drawn character, not the opposite direction. I'd rather the character not look like Aiko or TheGirl or Jasmin. Those figures are great and all, but they're not Disney.

OK, I just thought you wanted it looking EXACTLY Disney. But you want some cadaver...
    edited February 2013

No. I want something that is instantly recognizeable as Belle. I was watching the movie last night and paying close attention to the animation, going frame by frame. It's NOT as fantastically drawn with as much attention to detail as some of the earlier Disney films. In the close up shots, Belle always looks spectacular, when they pull back, her head changes shape, her neck sometimes gets too long... I never noticed that before now when I'm doing this project and trying to get Belle's look.

And that is what I'm after: Belle's Look. Not a perfect facsimile, that's simply impossible, but one that people like Lauren and Elspathswd child will instantly recognize as Belle... so far, I haven't had anyone under the age of 16 not instantly recognize my version of her.

Post edited by wancow on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    No. I want something that is instantly recognizeable as Belle. I was watching the movie last night and paying close attention to the animation, going frame by frame. It's NOT as fantastically drawn with as much attention to detail as some of the earlier Disney films. In the close up shots, Belle always looks spectacular, when they pull back, her head changes shape, her neck sometimes gets too long... I never noticed that before now when I'm doing this project and trying to get Belle's look.

And that is what I'm after: Belle's Look. Not a perfect facsimile, that's simply impossible, but one that people like Lauren and Elspathswd child will instantly recognize as Belle... so far, I haven't had anyone under the age of 16 not instantly recognize my version of her.

Place settings also play a big role in "recognition". If one was only ever seen "at work", then one day spotted in the mall or at a park many who worked with said person, wouldn't "instantly" recognize them ... or might think they do but can't place from where.

edited December 1969

true! Boy is that true!

So, if you see a library prop I can use :) OH and a Rose... I'll need a rose...

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

it looks good! Might need some texture work and maybe a little shaping, but that's great! Thanks Wendy!

edited December 1969

Okay.... this is funny. Wendy's telling me she has a hard time with building hair... reely?

I'm working on this dress, and I'm betting Wendy could wip it out in a day or so... but I don't see HOW she does it! Building this durn thing just gives me a whole HELL of a lot of respect for what she does... Compared to fitting clothing, hair is easy...

But... I am making a little progress....

belle26.jpg
    468 x 520 - 69K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

Following with pleasure. Seeing a character built from the ground up is a real treat. She looks awesome. Are you building her off of Genesis or V4 or who? From you last screen grab looks like Genesis.

edited December 1969

I work differently to you!

I start with a cylinder and then work that around the figure, until I have a basic shape, then start to shape it to the style I want.

Let me know if you want any help with it.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Okay.... this is funny. Wendy's telling me she has a hard time with building hair... reely?

I'm working on this dress, and I'm betting Wendy could wip it out in a day or so... but I don't see HOW she does it! Building this durn thing just gives me a whole HELL of a lot of respect for what she does... Compared to fitting clothing, hair is easy...

But... I am making a little progress....

Well um ... could be because clothing is made one way, and hair another?
    People were nice with my first attempt at hair and a beard ... quietly taking it apart and fixing it themselves.

Maybe Hexie doesn't do this on everyone's computer, but when it comes to welding that all together so you can make it clothing for Genesis, all that nice uvmap may go "poof".

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Well um ... could be because clothing is made one way, and hair another?

True that.
    edited December 1969

Patience, it's true about the UVS... I tried to make it happen in UVMapper, but no joy :( I've started the bloody thing four times and I always get to the point where the skirt is shaped almost where I want it only to discover the verts aren't welded :( GRRRRR

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Following with pleasure. Seeing a character built from the ground up is a real treat. She looks awesome. Are you building her off of Genesis or V4 or who? From you last screen grab looks like Genesis.

Genesis all the way! And I'm very proud to say I've used only two sets of morphs: DieTrying (thanks to Sickleyied) and Thorne's morph kits...

Pretty sure I'll be able to make her available when done, still need to check on that :)

The hair definately will be posted on ShareCG when done, and possibly the dress to... I plan on rigging the skirt with four bones off the pelvis and two bones each off of those four (total of eight) for the hem.

I think that's whats going to work bes. I'm also going to leave it at base resolution subdivided x2 in DAZ Studio. I've noticed something: if you let DS do the subdiv, you get a lot more control over your mesh when rigging.

edited December 1969

working on the rose... it's modelled around a rose that Wendy sent me... but all these geometries are actually my own... (except the morphing leaf from MDC)

Bellerose.jpg
    463 x 603 - 46K
    edited December 1969

The Blin shader didn't look right through Fisty's glass... so I went to a satin shader for the petels...

Bellerose1.jpg
    463 x 603 - 58K
    edited December 1969

one more, this time scaled proper...

belle27.jpg
    463 x 603 - 135K
  • ladyofmanyfacesladyofmanyfaces Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

I love what you did with the rose!

• stefani21gastefani21ga Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Hi wancow,

I just found this picture on a Disney collectible website and I wasn't sure if you have seen it, so I thought I post it for you so
    you could see the dress in a 3D aspect. :)

I don't know if it'll help but I figured what could it hurt. ;)

~Dave

4031545.jpg
    600 x 600 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Stephanie! The way the bodice is connected to the skirt in that sculpture actually is going to relieve some of my headaches!

• stefani21gastefani21ga Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

I'm happy that I could be of some assistance. :D

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,354
    edited December 1969

I would love to have the dress and hair when you are finished, checked the whole thread and you are coming along famously...Good Work

Side note...when finished, will you be including a template? I have noticed more and more lately that many Genesis items do not come with a template and I end up using the images in the texture folder for templates.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

Yours is looking nice. I keep intending to render the entire line, but if I do them chronologically I don't get past Snow White and if I do them in interest order I get sidetracked. ;) Here's a few that I did:
    Ariel: 1 2
    Belle: 1
    Pocahontas: 1
    Snow White: 1 2
    Aurora: 1

You've inspired me to give another go at this--again, your Belle is gorgeous. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,649
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

the dress is progressing... I have most of the modelling done, some adjustments need to be made, of course. This is a transfer util test. I used the MFD for the base figure to transfer to, but I'm going to rig it very, very differently. I still have to make he shoulder wings, and those will have custom bones so they work proper... the dress skirt will have four base mover bones with two coming off each of those.

I'll be sending it to DS at base resolution and let DS subdivide it when done. I didn't in this case, so this is not the final mesh, just a test...

bellegown1.jpg
    463 x 603 - 59K
    edited February 2013

CalieVee said:
    I would love to have the dress and hair when you are finished, checked the whole thread and you are coming along famously...Good Work

Side note...when finished, will you be including a template? I have noticed more and more lately that many Genesis items do not come with a template and I end up using the images in the texture folder for templates.

I'll make one if necessary. If an item does NOT come with a template, you can always use UVMapper to make it uvmapper.com

Zaarin said:
    Yours is looking nice. I keep intending to render the entire line, but if I do them chronologically I don't get past Snow White and if I do them in interest order I get sidetracked. ;) Here's a few that I did:
    Ariel: 1 2
    Belle: 1
    Pocahontas: 1
    Snow White: 1 2
    Aurora: 1

You've inspired me to give another go at this--again, your Belle is gorgeous. :)

Zaarin, they're beautiful!

...just saw this over on DA.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Belle-Ball-Gown-356565878

Wendy is working on some satin shaders, and I promised to do the same to see what we can come up with. Thanks for this!

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

playing around with materials and did a test at base resolution exported to DS. Subdivision is level 2 in DS and you'll notice the skirt drapes (that's what I call those drapy things hanging aroudn the skirt) are sunk into the skirt itself. So what I'll do to fix that is this. After I rig the skirt, I'll bring those drapes in separate and conform them to the dress... that SHOULD work...

bellegown2.jpg
    463 x 603 - 87K
    edited December 1969

Don't know if this works with the drapes, but I was told that to stop buttons sinking into the garment you need to make the mesh denser behind them, then they won't sink in.

edited February 2013

Tthe drapes are based on the skirt mesh so making them their own figure should work... that and I have to add a pearl at the top of each drape edge to make it authentic.... I think I'm going to try just making it its own figure and see how that works... If not, I'll try slicking up the polygons below the drapes. But I am trying to keep the mesh as low poly as possible.

This is how the dress looks on Belle as is.

EDIT... doing the drapes as a separate figure WORKED! :) Second render (the one with the rose)

This image (linked) might be the final pose for the piece... I rather like it.
    http://wancow.deviantart.com/art/Belle-Gown-Again-356772278

bellegown4.jpg
    491 x 603 - 115K
    bellegown3.jpg
    463 x 603 - 93K
    Post edited by wancow on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,649
    edited December 1969

...now you've done it.

Now I'm working on one of my own.

Sill have a ways to go but think I'm on the right track.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/262294/