Project Dogwaffle Howler

Comments

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

I don't want to learn every aspect, i want to find artwork in a direction I want to head then watch them be done so I can learn process and adapt to my style.  I find it interesting for the airbrush while there are a few exercise sets, I can find plenty of good tutorials, esp paid ones that actually do this, but very little digitally at least in the directions I would like to head.  Most focus on this is function X, this is function Y.  I need to take some time and go through the howler tutorial list.

LOL dartanbeck, I think that crowbar may do it :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    Milo said:

LOL dartanbeck, I think that crowbar may do it :)

LOL! I couldn't resist!

I was working on an office set when I read that, and just saw some carpentry tools in my collection a little earlier, so I just has to jump on that idea!

edited December 2015

I just went back to watch this video tutorial again - forgot how cool it is! Phillip Rocks!

Anyways, with all of the animation posibilities in Howler, I just love how well it works with what I need to do. I normally use Carrara more in all of this stuff, but as Howler continues to progress, and as Phillip continues to inspire me with cool ideas, I'm starting to do a lot more in Howler to assit what I do in Carrara. 

click to watch

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 2015

A couple of the cool new things in Howler 10:

I love this new Space-Bar Brush Selection tool! It's so versatile and convenient. Wherever your cursor is positioned when you press(and hold) the space bar, up pops this wonderful window with some really cool brush-selection options!

Another thing that I think is really sweet is the new Crash Recovery system

HowlerSpaceBrushSelector.jpg
    1367 x 727 - 1011K
    HowlerCrashRecovery.jpg
    511 x 438 - 95K
  • musicaz_e77234656cmusicaz_e77234656c Posts: 42
    edited January 2016

Can anyone help me please . 

Post edited by musicaz_e77234656c on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Try this link

https://www.youtube.com/user/pdhowler

lots of tut by the creators of it.

edited January 2016

yeah i give up i wont be able to learn this program i totally give up 

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

they show you tool. X does this, tool Y does that, but not the synergy that also when you use tool Z.  It would be nice for some project based tutorials.

I agree.

Maybe Dart hs some info.

edited January 2016

yes and i appologize if i offended anyone in my post 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2016

I find it daunting as well, but the lightning tool is amazing, but I wish I had more control over it. It's like an elastic band and sort of snaps with different results. Need to study the tuts to learn properly. But believe the software builds on PS's abilities.

yes  Silene

SL2.png
    750 x 938 - 1M
    Post edited by SileneUK on

Could you, perhaps, be a little more specific?

I'm always glad to help. Let me know what you need help with ;)

Until then, perhaps I can guide you in a self-help direction.

Project Dogwaffle is purposefully designed to be something different - especially from all of the Photoshop-like apps. I'm grateful for this because I really love the differences! But it also means that we must adapt a different mindset when approaching ideas of how we do things. I have to add that the program becomes highly intuitive as we practice our craft. 

Phillip Staiger has a fantastic YouTube channel with tutorial software/technique demonstrations galore! The program has gone through many changes over the years, so there are a lot of videos to choose from, which can be a bit daunting when we're taking our first steps into Dogwaffle. So if you feel lost just give me a hint and I can set up up with links to videos relevant to what you wish to know. When I first started learning, I set up some playlists of my own in the order of which I needed to see them. I'd play those playlists whenever it was TV time in the house. That became my TV. During that time I've noticed that there is often a lot more information in any one video than what its title implies... so I had to eventually stop playing just the ones that I thought pertained to what I was looking to learn. Instead I just watched all of them - which I also suggest to anyone wanting to really learn this software - because it's very deep in possibilities, and Phillip Staiger is a real Hound Dog towards sniffing out functions that we need to learn - like where to find what, and how to set it up from there - as well as some fun ideas in regards to inspiration towards taking it into further steps. If it ever seems like he's repeating stuff you've already learnt, you'll later realize that it's really nice that he does that - because it really helps to drive this stuff home, so-to-speak. 

Here is the main Project Dogwaffle video channel: pdhowler

Here are the playlists I've made, which are not entirely current to the latest version, but do really help in understanding how to get a workflow going:

The Daily Dose - I've set this one up, putting the videos in their correct order, so "Part 1", "2", and "3" would play in the proper order without intervention. But Phillip has been adding more to the official Daily Dose since then, so I'll also include the Official playlist here: pdhowler's Daily Dose of Waffling and Howling! Which has 428 videos as opposed to my 74 video list.

Intro Steps into VFX using Howler - This used to be a Howler 7 playlist but since we're on version 10 now, and most of the videos had to do with VFX, I've changed the name and added a bunch more videos which pertain to VFX within Howler, which is incredibly powerful stuff! Compositing animated footage becomes an entire artform in its own using Howler - and it enables enormous possibilities. I'll be adding to this one over time.

New for Howler 8! - is actually New VIDEOS for Howler 8, which are the videos that were being made right at the time when I was entering this wonderful world of Waffling and Howling. I'll likely end up renaming the list and rearranging/changing things in time, but as it stands it's a fine set of lessons.

Green Screen Keying and Roto using Howler - is a playlist I've just recently created while I was attending VFX fro Guerrilla Filmmakers course through Norwich University of the Arts, and demonstrates some of the techniques of making movie magic using Howler. Its author is a VFX (visual effects) artist and is quite knowledgeable on all of this stuff, making Howler a real tail-wagger for motion effect creation!

I've made this tutorial regarding compositing multiple films together using traveling mattes as part of my homework:

​...and this one continues the project:

The official pdhowler Playlists page has all manner of excellent categories and is well worth the time it takes to dig through this stuff. I really love using Howler. 

SileneUK said:

I find it daunting as well, but the lightning tool is amazing, but I wish I had more control over it. It's like an elastic band and sort of snaps with different results. Need to study the tuts to learn properly. But believe the software builds on PS's abilities.

yes  Silene

Wow! Killer image, Silene! How did I miss that before?!!! Nice!

It's daunting only because it's different and new and it was puposely made to not be like PS, since there are already plenty of PS-like wares out there.

To me, after being really patient, watching Phillip's videos over and over again... and then watch them all over again (I really like the music and Phillip's awesome style!) I started understanding more about how this thing works. 

Nowadays, even though there's still a lot of undiscovered territory, I find it to be more natural feeling than anything else - and it has now become my total goto for image editing. I'm still no used to using a tablet and will have to practice more with that... but I love how it handles a mouse, too! 

Selections and storing things. Make a selection using any number of selection tools, then store the selection into it's little window. Now alter the selection with perhaps a blur effect, a drop shadow and/or emboss or glow, grow the selection or shrink it and add or subtract the one you've stored... and store the new selection...

Store an image. It's really neat how many different things we can now do with that image that's stored in that little window. Store an animation. Now we can use that stored clip as either a selection or a swap image or both. Going back and forth between the Main buffer and the Swap is really good practice too. I'm not as practiced at it as Phillip, but I use the Swap to good effect to make brushes to stamp onto my main image. That's how I make my little Screenshot tutorial images. Screenshot Carrara, paste into Howler. Screenshot another thing I need the viewer to see, like a pull-down menu, for example. Back in Howler, switch to Swap and paste in the SS and make a selection around the part we need on the main image and go Brush > Use Selected as Brush. It's often helpful to blur the selection first - even if it's just a little bit. Now we can set the size and opacity of the brush. Store the brush and we can do a whole lot more with it!

And so on.

The more I use it, the better I like it. I tell Dan how much I like it and he puts in a new feature that I mentioned in passing that would be cool to see. "Done", he says. ;)

Let's Howl with Howler 10! :)

For a one-man development, Howler is growing and growing every day. I'm excited to have finally taken that step into becoming a Waffler/Howler! yes

• What kind of project based tutorials would people like to see in Howler? I might be able to either do them, or get people to do them. I don't do the animation stuff, but I do 3d rendering, and 2d digital painting in Howler. *waves* Hi Dartanbeck!

• edited August 2016

http://dakorillon.deviantart.com/art/Three-Mountains-615176737

I hope this works

Nope, it didn't. *sigh*

Post edited by Tiffanie Gray - IDLM on
  • A Ha! This one worked.

AR- Glacier Lake.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 1M

how about a series of tuts to take a beginner through an introductory of howler and progressing to more complicated stuff.

I have howler 9.6 but have never used it, as I cant find the time to just bash away and try to figure out which youtube vids they put out are still valid and which are not.

So it sits on the Hard drive just taking space.

What kind of project based tutorials would people like to see in Howler? I might be able to either do them, or get people to do them. I don't do the animation stuff, but I do 3d rendering, and 2d digital painting in Howler. *waves* Hi Dartanbeck!

Hi Tiffanie! *waves back*

• how about a series of tuts to take a beginner through an introductory of howler and progressing to more complicated stuff.

I have howler 9.6 but have never used it, as I cant find the time to just bash away and try to figure out which youtube vids they put out are still valid and which are not.

Okay, Let me take a look and gather my thoughts. I can probably point out a few that are still valid, go over the basics and then do one that is a finished picture type thing? Would that work?

That would be great. Then I might be able to do something with it.

Thanks alot for doing this.

I think I am not the only one but i gues i am th eonly one to respond.

Dart is always going on about how great it is but i need a starting pint to go from.

Right. I've spent quite a bit of time watching Philip's tutorials over and over again - there are so many of them!

Here's the thing about the tutorials on the pdhowler YouTube channel: The title of the video isn't everything. Many of these cover a LOT more than the topic of the title. So when everyone else in the house was watching TV, I'd kick back with my headphones on and watch tutorials. So to make this endeavor easier on myself - and possibly others - I've created some playlists to help me:

The Daily Dose - because learning methods of using Dogwaffle never (mostly) get old. Dan adds more and more to Howler and Artist and Particles, yet the workflows remain pretty much the same. So watching these earlier tutorials are great for just getting used to how we do things, since we do things much differently in Howler than we do in something like PhotoShop. 

I should also mention that the Daily Dose playlist at pdhowler's channel might not be in chronological order, but it is constantly being updated with more new tutorials all the time. (Mine has 74 videos, theirs has 454 at the time of this writing!)

Howler 7 - 3D Designer - 3D designer has grown a LOT since Howler 7, but this list gives a good showing of how to get around in it. Nowadays we have export to OBJ, and exporting our various maps, texturing tools, erosion and sediment... it's awesome! So if you take a keen liking to the 3D Designer, you'll definitely want to check out 3D with Dogwaffle playlist at pdhowler! I absolutely love this tool! The playlist I've just mentioned has a few offerings for PuppyRay, the raytracing height map reader/renderer, and PD9 Playlist has more Puppy Ray goodness!

New for Howler 8 - has a lot of nice information on the many, many, many brushes in Dogwaffle as well as more nice tips on using Dogwaffle in general.

Intro Steps for VFX in PD Howler - Don't be put off by my strange title ;)  This playlist has a lot to do with helping us to understand how we use (or don't use) layers in Dogwaffle along with Rotoscoping (moving selections on video footage) and a bunch of other neat tricks!

...and if you like that stuff, Green Screen Keying and Roto using Howler furthers those endeavors!

=====================================================================================

Don't be intimidated by the HUGE selection of tutorials at the pdhowler YouTube channel. There's a lot there - but there's a lot to learn. Owning Howler (or any Dogwaffle product) puts a wealth of amazing artistic creation tools on our desktop. The more we get acquainted with what we can use these tools for in Philip, or somebody else's world, the more we'll recognize ways that we can use them differently - our own way!

This is a little thing I did for our 10 second animation challenges

In this one I babble on for a half hour about how I set up the scene and rendered it out in Carrara

...and in this one I babble on for a half hour about what I did in Howler to create the final clip

You might be able to pick up on some of my workflow in that, except that I work much faster when I'm not babbling!

Here is one I did for my VFX class, using Howler to composite several videos together to make a few people act like a mob

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

how about a series of tuts to take a beginner through an introductory of howler and progressing to more complicated stuff.

Okay, Let me take a look and gather my thoughts. I can probably point out a few that are still valid, go over the basics and then do one that is a finished picture type thing? Would that work?

yes that would be good too, I have a few versions of it and when I use it it is very very good, but the 'unusual' stuff is confusing.

eg the swap frame buffer alpha channel  thing :) best to stick with what people know as an interface/nomenclature and reinvent the wheel under the hood

edited August 2016

head wax said:

yes that would be good too, I have a few versions of it and when I use it it is very very good, but the 'unusual' stuff is confusing.

eg the swap frame buffer alpha channel  thing :) best to stick with what people know as an interface/nomenclature and reinvent the wheel under the hood

Agreed!

My pal, Tiffanie, is an amazing artist, brimming with talent! I'd love to catch some tutorials from her... I think she knows Dogwaffle a lot differently than I do - and, like I said... she's an amazing artist!  

I really look forward to seeing what she comes up with and I'm especially happy that she's chiming in here!!!

Thanks Tiffanie!!! :)

edited August 2016

Oh... and she's also a Featured Artist in the Dogwaffler of the Moment gallery at TheBest3D!!!

Check out her cool gallery there!

She has a HUGE gallery over at Deviant Art too, under the name:

Dakorillon

I'm a big fan and consider myself very fortunate to be so friendly acquainted to such a gifted artist... and a great friend! 

Tiffanie ROCKS!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

beautiful images, thanks for sharing :)

• Aw, Dart, you're making me blush!  Thanks.

I came at Dogwaffle from free version 1.2, *mumble* years ago, and worked my way up through as it was developing and I've been a beta tester since version 4. The YahooGroup for dogwaffle has lots of files, but it's not very active anymore. I was originally looking for something I could use digitally that would mimic natural media (I started as a pencil and colored pencil artist, and have tutorials on Elfwood.com), as I had small children and wanted to learn watercolor and acrylic, but didn't have the money or the space for traditional media. Corel Paint was far too expensive, but I found this little Dogwaffle thing with a funny name and very good pictures!

So, I don't use it for animation, the way that Dart does, I use it as a Painting program for the most part. I do use 3d Designer and Puppy Ray sometimes and then add painting over the top. The effects you can get with particles and foliage are very helpful and there is a good selection of filters for adjusting color, and doing some fun stuff. Lately I've been using it for post work on Renders and to create and adjust textures to use IN renders.

So, yes, I come at it a different way than Dart, but that is the beauty of it!  There is a facebook page: I'm a moderator there, where people show off some of their art and ask questions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/83248621949/ we are small, but friendly.

And, yes, I know that talking about it isn't doing tutorials! lol.

So, video? pdf? combo? What is the preference?

This discussion has been closed.