The Mac FAQ

Comments

• globallyglobally Posts: 119
    Totte said:

Which version of DAZ Studio are you running? And does ZBrush start manually? (I though it didn't by the quote I did above)

Yeah Daz to Zbrush works perfectly. Im on 4.12.1 64 bit, the newest as far as im aware.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,525

I don't have ZBrush so I don't, obviously, have GOZ installed. Hopefully someone has and can reply. I was just trying to look at if from a "systems perspective". But launching is usually straight forward, but on the other hand, creating virtual links to programs usually involves more intricate stuff that cn go wrong.

Totte said:

I don't have ZBrush so I don't, obviously, have GOZ installed. Hopefully someone has and can reply. I was just trying to look at if from a "systems perspective". But launching is usually straight forward, but on the other hand, creating virtual links to programs usually involves more intricate stuff that cn go wrong.

Thanks anyway. Any advice is welcomed.

Just out of interest, what external modelling software do you use? Im still new to modelling outside of Daz so im open to other ideas. Blender is an option for me if i can't get zbrush to work. Or if someone knows the old fashion way of using the .obj and .mtl files that zbrush spits out to make a morph in daz im all ears.

Ok, after a bit more research i see that the GoZbrushToDazStudio.app is 64 bit. But then so are both Daz and Zbrush. Im currently going down the operating system route and im wondering what has changed between High Sierra and the version i assume most of you are using (Mojave or Catalina?). Is there anyone runninf GoZ on High Sierra here so i can rule that out?

I really feel like i can rule out the OS as my system runs 64bit apps no problem. I just cant let it go though because of the message "check that gozbrushtodaz.app works with this version of macOS". I can seem to find anything in the GoZ documentation online referring to what versions of macOS are supported. I really dont want the pain of upgrading (and more so downgrading when it quite probably slows my computer down (although i only tried Mojave, maybe Catalina is better?)). Can you still run your OS from an external usb drive? maybe that'll be the best way to test this OS theory out if no one else has had this issue before.

globally said:
    Totte said:

Just out of interest, what external modelling software do you use? Im still new to modelling outside of Daz so im open to other ideas. Blender is an option for me if i can't get zbrush to work. Or if someone knows the old fashion way of using the .obj and .mtl files that zbrush spits out to make a morph in daz im all ears.

Been using Modo 801 mostly and dabbled a little in Blender 2.8

globally said:

Ok, after a bit more research i see that the GoZbrushToDazStudio.app is 64 bit. But then so are both Daz and Zbrush. Im currently going down the operating system route and im wondering what has changed between High Sierra and the version i assume most of you are using (Mojave or Catalina?). Is there anyone runninf GoZ on High Sierra here so i can rule that out?

I really feel like i can rule out the OS as my system runs 64bit apps no problem. I just cant let it go though because of the message "check that gozbrushtodaz.app works with this version of macOS". I can seem to find anything in the GoZ documentation online referring to what versions of macOS are supported. I really dont want the pain of upgrading (and more so downgrading when it quite probably slows my computer down (although i only tried Mojave, maybe Catalina is better?)). Can you still run your OS from an external usb drive? maybe that'll be the best way to test this OS theory out if no one else has had this issue before.

Can't it be something as stupid as permissions, usually ends up there sooner or later with problems like that?

Totte said:
    globally said:

Can't it be something as stupid as permissions, usually ends up there sooner or later with problems like that?

Funny you say that, i was checking the permissions just now. I checked the app permissions (both zbrush and GoZ) and the shared route folders and all are set to read/write for everyone. 

Totte said:
    globally said:
    Totte said:

I could be coming at this from the wrong angle so maybe i should explain what im looking to do. Im still new to everything 3d so for now im spending most time in Daz. I would like to make a few tweaks to some of my characters and using GoZ and zbrush worked really well, until it came to sending it back to Daz for clothing, HDRi's, hair and rendering etc. etc. I'd like this back in to Daz as a morph i guess so i can call it up at any time in my Daz work flow.

Can i just miss out GoZ completely and reimport the obj and mtl files back to Daz as a morph or character? Like i say im still new to 3d stuff so my knowledge of the componant parts is there, but limited.

Maybe someone actually doing this using ZBrush should come here, I see if I can grab someone. 

Totte said:

Maybe someone actually doing this using ZBrush should come here, I see if I can grab someone. 

Thanks so much! I'm sure there'll be someone out there that has come across this. Hopefully there will be a fix for it. It's kind of a bummer having the results i want from zbrush but not knowing how to get it back to Daz.

Totte said:
    globally said:
    Totte said:

Have you used Blender for charater morphs before? Does it have an easy to use Daz bridge? I havent commited to purchasing Zbrush just yet so i'm open to other options even though ive learned the zbrush basics.

globally said:
    Totte said:
    globally said:
    Totte said:

Have you used Blender for charater morphs before? Does it have an easy to use Daz bridge? I havent commited to purchasing Zbrush just yet so i'm open to other options even though ive learned the zbrush basics.

Only Bridge I've used is Hexagon, and I havn't done much morphs, does more props and environment stuff.

• vivoabroadvivoabroad Posts: 2

Reality 4.3 won't load on Imac.

HI.

I'm hoping somebody can help.

I'm Running OS Catalina  on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). I have downloaded Reality 4.3 DMG file to my desktop. When I click on installer `i get the following widow pop up (see attached).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 09.27.38.png
    1404 x 348 - 169K
  • PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Reality 4.3 won't load on Imac.

HI.

I'm hoping somebody can help.

I'm Running OS Catalina  on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). I have downloaded Reality 4.3 DMG file to my desktop. When I click on installer `i get the following widow pop up (see attached).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Right Click on the RealityInstaller.app and select Show Package Contents, Then Navigate to Contents/MacOS and Right Click on the RealityInstaller and select Open so that the installer runs from the terminal

• I'm new to this and I have Dim but I can't install the actual software can i have some help please.

I'm new to this and I have Dim but I can't install the actual software can i have some help please.

Which software are you trying to install??

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Does the software appear in the DIM as Ready to Download? If you click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and open it to Advanced Settings, do you see a download path for the installation? Can you click on "Start Q"? And, if so, is "Install After Download" checked? If all this is so, it should download. If not, what is missing?

I'm new to this and I have Dim but I can't install the actual software can i have some help please.

Have you added the software to your product library? You need to "purchase" it free, but still purchase it.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,394

Hi there, sorry to interrupt - if there‘s time in between, I need help getting DAZ Studio to recognize my eGPU (NVidia GTX 1050 Ti inside). I‘m on HighSierra, the Mac recognizes the GPU and uses it, on the external display at least; CUDA is also installed. But DS doesn‘t seem to see the card at all, it‘s never listed in the available hardware for rendering. Somebody told me I needed to tell the card to let DS use CUDA via the NVidia settings app, but there‘s no app like this on the Mac, only the drivers preferences app and the CUDA app. Hm, any idea what I might be missing? That would be great, thanks!

By the way, thanks also Totte for that very helpful script to set the owners of that one folder correctly! When I downgraded to HighSierra, I did run into the „no CMS“ problem and your file solved it for me.

Which version of DS are You using?

4.12.1.x won't see any GPU for renders, nZvidia dropped macsupport in Iray for GOU.

Totte said:

4.12.1.x won't see any GPU for renders, nZvidia dropped macsupport in Iray for GOU.

Ooooh d..., it's 4.12.1.117 ... Thanks for pointing it out. What can I do now? Is there a way to downgrade? Gosh this whole Mac - Iray - NVidia -game is so sickening really, isn't it?

• I know this, I can't install it if there is no installer available for the mac at this time that I can find. Only installers I can find is for the beta version which is installed through install manager and the general release is only available in windows installer at this time as I have been told and it doesn't even come up as an option in install manager on my mac book pro. I know it has to be installed in order to show up but there hasn't been any way to do this on my mbp. I have the 4.10 on my imac and no problem with either the program or the plugins. Guess I will just use the beta program for my dynamics for the time being or use my imac. Just thought someone else may have had the same problem. I don't usually ask questions here in the forums because I can usually figure out the bugs myself and find a work around, but this had me stumped. In doing searches here in the forums for answers, I have been unsuccesful in finding answers that was why I asked here. Mac users are a minority with no clear answers for things except our systems are getting less and less compatible with Daz. I tried changing over to a windows machine and ended up giving it over to my husband due to the buggy windows operating system.

Thanks for your input, I've been with Daz since Daz Studio 2.1 and I have a huge content library (not as large as some though) that will be unusable to me if many more changes are made to the program. I wish I had the install program for 4.10 again, I would definately take 4.12 off my mbp and install it. I didn't intentionally install Daz 4.12, it automatically was installed without my realizing it until I opened up the program one day to find it that way. I just hope I never have to reinstall Daz on my imac as I have very little problems with 4.10 and like I said, my install program for that went with a crashed hard drive.

In case anyone else have had the problem that I did with the dynamic clothing control install, I finally had to extract the files directly from a download that I already had in my files and put them into the plugins area of the daz program. Can't rely on install manager and just hopefully you have the files available in order to do this as I was unable to find a download for mac available at this time.Once you put the plugins where they go, uncheck the free one then restart daz. open daz again and both plugins should be shown so check the box next to the full plugin, restart daz again and the full dynamic clothing control should work as it should.

tsroemi said:
    Totte said:

Ooooh d..., it's 4.12.1.117 ... Thanks for pointing it out. What can I do now? Is there a way to downgrade? Gosh this whole Mac - Iray - NVidia -game is so sickening really, isn't it?

Contact Customer Support, tell them your issue and they might (I cannot promise but this is the official info) make those installer available to you. Then Install that version, then rename the App Folder inside /Applications/DA 3D to something else like Studio Iray, then you use than one when you render, and you can use the other versions while setting up scenes.

I know this, I can't install it if there is no installer available for the mac at this time that I can find. Only installers I can find is for the beta version which is installed through install manager and the general release is only available in windows installer at this time as I have been told and it doesn't even come up as an option in install manager on my mac book pro. I know it has to be installed in order to show up but there hasn't been any way to do this on my mbp. I have the 4.10 on my imac and no problem with either the program or the plugins. Guess I will just use the beta program for my dynamics for the time being or use my imac. Just thought someone else may have had the same problem. I don't usually ask questions here in the forums because I can usually figure out the bugs myself and find a work around, but this had me stumped. In doing searches here in the forums for answers, I have been unsuccesful in finding answers that was why I asked here. Mac users are a minority with no clear answers for things except our systems are getting less and less compatible with Daz. I tried changing over to a windows machine and ended up giving it over to my husband due to the buggy windows operating system.

Thanks for your input, I've been with Daz since Daz Studio 2.1 and I have a huge content library (not as large as some though) that will be unusable to me if many more changes are made to the program. I wish I had the install program for 4.10 again, I would definately take 4.12 off my mbp and install it. I didn't intentionally install Daz 4.12, it automatically was installed without my realizing it until I opened up the program one day to find it that way. I just hope I never have to reinstall Daz on my imac as I have very little problems with 4.10 and like I said, my install program for that went with a crashed hard drive.

In case anyone else have had the problem that I did with the dynamic clothing control install, I finally had to extract the files directly from a download that I already had in my files and put them into the plugins area of the daz program. Can't rely on install manager and just hopefully you have the files available in order to do this as I was unable to find a download for mac available at this time.Once you put the plugins where they go, uncheck the free one then restart daz. open daz again and both plugins should be shown so check the box next to the full plugin, restart daz again and the full dynamic clothing control should work as it should.

Good you got it working!

Totte said:
    tsroemi said:
    Totte said:

Contact Customer Support, tell them your issue and they might (I cannot promise but this is the official info) make those installer available to you. Then Install that version, then rename the App Folder inside /Applications/DA 3D to something else like Studio Iray, then you use than one when you render, and you can use the other versions while setting up scenes.

Thank you very much, will try that!

tsroemi said:
    Totte said:
    tsroemi said:
    Totte said:

Do it - It's from "the highest authority" to do so ;-)

tsroemi said:
    Totte said:
    tsroemi said:
    Totte said:

And please consider reporting your problem and feelings to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

I've done so. Maybe if Apple receives enough requests for users to be able to use nVidia Cards with the latest versions of the Mac OS, that might happen. I've attached a screen shot in which I've preselected "Feature Request" for Feedback Type, and Applications/Utilities for Feedback Area. Just my suggestions.

People may think this is impossible: getting Apple to change its mind. But I remember when Apple removed RAID formatting from one version of the OS, and then provided it again in a later version. And, of course, there were many thoughts that Apple should stop its old CPU chips and move to Intel chips. I listened to  many explanations of why this was completely impossible. A main reason given was that the Mac OS was written in the opposite way that would be necessary for it to run on an Intel chip. (Something like that, anyway.)

So, the very nearly impossible can happen. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.38.55 PM.png
    995 x 1108 - 104K

What is this latest version of DAZ Connect, or whatever it's called, that's for Windows Only? It says that the Mac OS is not supported. Are we being left behind again? Or, is this new thing worth messing with? I've seen so  many problems with DAZ Studio that I'd be hesitant to jump in even if I could.

Saw the AD for DAZ to Maya: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-maya

Visited the Documentation Center: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/47879/start

It says some interesting things: "Transfer a Daz figure or props to Maya with 2 clicks! Auto-HumanIK controls for easy posing/animating with the power of Maya! Auto convert to vray and arnold render engines, and lot of other optimizations and fixes made in the background automatically. This product requires Maya 2016 or higher, and currently does not support Maya LT."

It doesn't mention if the DAZ to Maya plugin works with a Macintosh. Does it?

I also notice that just subscribing to Maya is expensive: "The price of an annual Maya subscription is $1,620 and the price of a monthly Mayasubscription is $205. The price of a 3-year Maya subscription is $4,375."

But what I'm really interested in is this sentence from the above: Auto convert to vray and arnold render engines

How well does this work? When I used Reality and Lux, I spent a good deal of time messing with the shaders in order to get Lux to provide a good render. Is the auto convert to vray any good? How about the arnold render engine? (I don't even know what the arnold render engine is.)

Never mind the price. Is anyone using Maya, and how well does the auto convert feature work?

inquire said:

What is this latest version of DAZ Connect, or whatever it's called, that's for Windows Only? It says that the Mac OS is not supported. Are we being left behind again? Or, is this new thing worth messing with? I've seen so  many problems with DAZ Studio that I'd be hesitant to jump in even if I could.

If your talking about the new Daz Central then theres a Mac version coming but its not ready yet.  Its suppose to be a replacement for DIM but so far all the reports I have seem has not been good.