Commerical Products forum gone?

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited February 2013

lol I know..But I'm not advertising an off site product in a thread, so I'm sure it is harmless. A lot of PA's have off site links in their sigs. If Daz goes down that route to remove it then I will make a scene lol....That would be going too far...

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

superintelligentmegasite would not hesitate to do so :)

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I personally wish they'd still have a separate forum for discussing new products. I'm fine with them being all DAZ products; I just want to have a place where we can discuss products as they're released without a bunch of extra clutter making those discussions hard to find.

• DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    First let me say thank you BHowell,

I also think you may be under valuing the open atmosphere (that was once here) compared to other sites. That does bring people to your site, and it brings return visits because people can find the information they need. Unfortunately, over the past one to two years, information exchange regarding Poser has dropped significantly, but this is the place to go to learn about DS or Carrara. Now that I can no longer keep apprised of all plugin developments or companion software for either one of these here (unless it is sold here), where will I go? Now I will be forced to visit other sites more often. I do have limited time to spend on line, so as a result I will spend less time here, which also means I may spend less money here as I get more comfortable with other sites. I really don't think this makes good business sense.

Just my 2 cents and some food for thought.

Dustrider, Appreciate your post.

There have been a couple of posts about concerns regarding plugins in this thread. I would add the caveat that the same rules apply. There ARE plugins that are sold on the DAZ site. We are only talking about those that are not offered on the site.

I also want to address that idea that because of this one change, the WHOLE DAZ forum is now no longer a place where some customers want to be.

You can believe that we looked at the forum traffic on these threads vs the overall forum traffic. And while the visits to that section were not what I would describe as trivial, (otherwise, we wouldn't be having this lengthy of a discussion about it) those visits were a VERY, VERY small percentage of the overall forum visits.

So to believe that the ENTIRE forum has changed because of these new limitations imposed on this ONE SECTION is overreacting at best and disingenuous at worst.

Customers are still able to share renders, tips and tricks, ask for help, offer help, and do everything they could previously do with one small exception.
    The only thing that has changed is that we want to emphasize and focus the commercial thread discussions on DAZ and DAZ PA products and not competitive or 3rd party products.

Even so, I think what I hear you saying is that this will be an inconvenience to you because now you will have to visit other sites to get information on 3rd party products that you are interested in.

If it helps at all let me just say again, we think this change is in the best interest of DAZ PA's and DAZ itself and sincerely add... we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

edited December 1969

dan.shive said:
    I personally wish they'd still have a separate forum for discussing new products. I'm fine with them being all DAZ products; I just want to have a place where we can discuss products as they're released without a bunch of extra clutter making those discussions hard to find.

There is. It's just got a new name and is limited to products in the DAZ Store.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    dan.shive said:

There is. It's just got a new name and is limited to products in the DAZ Store.

Oh! Huh. I was seeing threads for products in the commons... Well, I guess no complaints, then ^^;

edited December 1969

dan.shive said:

Wish Granted!!!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/508/

The commercial threads section does still exist. We have now just limited it to DAZ PA products offered on the DAZ store.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

DAZ_BHowell,

There is still the question (posed several times in here and in another thread) of if non-vendors can answer "Who is this character" or "I'm looking for X" with links to products in other stores. This would not be in a commercial thread, but in any non-commerical thread where someone is asking for information.

I'm hoping we can at least still say "Oh yeah, that's X outfit by Y over at (othersite)"

• MizzieMizzie Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    First let me say thank you BHowell,

I also think you may be under valuing the open atmosphere (that was once here) compared to other sites. That does bring people to your site, and it brings return visits because people can find the information they need. Unfortunately, over the past one to two years, information exchange regarding Poser has dropped significantly, but this is the place to go to learn about DS or Carrara. Now that I can no longer keep apprised of all plugin developments or companion software for either one of these here (unless it is sold here), where will I go? Now I will be forced to visit other sites more often. I do have limited time to spend on line, so as a result I will spend less time here, which also means I may spend less money here as I get more comfortable with other sites. I really don't think this makes good business sense.

Just my 2 cents and some food for thought.

Dustrider, Appreciate your post.

There have been a couple of posts about concerns regarding plugins in this thread. I would add the caveat that the same rules apply. There ARE plugins that are sold on the DAZ site. We are only talking about those that are not offered on the site.

I also want to address that idea that because of this one change, the WHOLE DAZ forum is now no longer a place where some customers want to be.

You can believe that we looked at the forum traffic on these threads vs the overall forum traffic. And while the visits to that section were not what I would describe as trivial, (otherwise, we wouldn't be having this lengthy of a discussion about it) those visits were a VERY, VERY small percentage of the overall forum visits.

So to believe that the ENTIRE forum has changed because of these new limitations imposed on this ONE SECTION is overreacting at best and disingenuous at worst.

Customers are still able to share renders, tips and tricks, ask for help, offer help, and do everything they could previously do with one small exception.
    The only thing that has changed is that we want to emphasize and focus the commercial thread discussions on DAZ and DAZ PA products and not competitive or 3rd party products.

Even so, I think what I hear you saying is that this will be an inconvenience to you because now you will have to visit other sites to get information on 3rd party products that you are interested in.

If it helps at all let me just say again, we think this change is in the best interest of DAZ PA's and DAZ itself and sincerely add... we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

That small, tiny, minute, miniscule percentage could be some of your most valued customers taking a dip. That could be equal to a lot more money than it is traffic. And doesn't that small, very, very small percentage still equal traffic? People are traffic right? Doesn't that mean this move is bringing down your traffic? What was the move for? To bring up the traffic? Its not working. If numbers and percentages are the defining factor then why is a loss of customers the correct approach? You have to understand by now that it isn't suddenly this change that is going to make people leave. It is the endless change for the betterment of the company and not the customers. The customers are what make the company though. There has to be common ground or you have a perfect, flawless business that is making no money. I think its time to stop blaming the economy and other store sites for what is happening here. I shopped even in bad economy and I made DAZ my #1 go to place. If you want to know what changed that, check out the last year here. I'm beginning to lose hope that things will become better at this point.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Hellboy said:
    Kattey said:
    By the way, anybody noticed that PAs now called "Premier Artists". I liked "Published" more, "premier" sounds as a sort of like "Diamond Director".

Sounds like Renderotica actually, since "Premier Artists" is what Renderotica uses.
    I really don't mind, but I liked "Published" more too.

"Premier" was used as an adjective... it should have been "Premier Published Artists." Nobody is changing the name to "Premier Artists".
    Well, the store right now is a bit confusing in the respect to names:

Ahhh, sorry I thought someone was quoting a post where we were talking about the best... "Premier" artists in this market.

Marketing has been using "Premier" on the web site for a while now because new users had no idea what a "Published Artist" was but could at least grasp what a "Premier Artist" might be.

• nysalor_7ad75f2450nysalor_7ad75f2450 Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

It seems like the need for a genuine community-based 3D discussion forum is growing, one free from the control of individual businesses.

Does anyone have experience of free forum hostings such as Forumotion or Freeforums.org?

John

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

dan.shive said:

Wish Granted!!!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/508/

The commercial threads section does still exist. We have now just limited it to DAZ PA products offered on the DAZ store.

This is not what we asked for.

edited February 2013

DAZ_BHowell,

There is still the question (posed several times in here and in another thread) of if non-vendors can answer "Who is this character" or "I'm looking for X" with links to products in other stores. This would not be in a commercial thread, but in any non-commerical thread where someone is asking for information.

I'm hoping we can at least still say "Oh yeah, that's X outfit by Y over at (othersite)"

I will support that question. Can we link to other sites from non-commercial, non-dedicated, informative/discussion/contest/other like that threads?
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • UrumikeUrumike Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Nysalor said:
    It seems like the need for a genuine community-based 3D discussion forum is growing, one free from the control of individual businesses.

Does anyone have experience of free forum hostings such as Forumotion or Freeforums.org?

John

I have about 20 gigs of unused webspace with a pro hoster in switzerland, unlimited bandwith. Could set up something if I find help... Can upgrade if need be.
    Discuss?...

edited December 1969

DAZ_BHowell,

Our intention is to encourage promotion and discussion of DAZ and DAZ PA products and limit the PROMOTION of competing products and sites, not ban every post or link to another site.

So we would not expect every post that says "hey what hair did you use on that figure?" "Oh its that hair .... on xyz site" to be removed.

However, if it appears that someone is really just trying to get around the TOS to promote a product then posts may be deleted. Our forum mods are very astute and judicious.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    edited December 1969

What was the move for?

The move was to show support for in house PAs against competing products at other outlets, plain and simple.

John

I see nothing to keep genuine community based discussion from happening, guess many want much more than that. I have been here quite awhile and get everything I need from the forums, users and the site, more so that any other site..

As a forum mod in other communities, I have to commend DAZ BHowell for keeping his cool in the midst of all this vitriol.

edited December 1969

Urumike said:
    Nysalor said:

John

I have about 20 gigs of unused webspace with a pro hoster in switzerland, unlimited bandwith. Could set up something if I find help... Can upgrade if need be.
    Discuss?...
    The problem here will be to a) make users to register into new place b) find a good and cheap forum code with comfortable design and good appeal c) to find dedicated moderators.

edited December 1969

I have to commend DAZ BHowell for keeping his cool in the midst of all this vitriol.

DITTO!

edited December 1969

However, if it appears that someone is really just trying to get around the TOS to promote a product then posts may be deleted. Our forum mods are very astute and judicious.

Excessively astute and judicious sometimes at my opinion.

So we _can_ link other products in non-commercial threads as long as it doesn't violate common sense and purpose of this thread?

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Often those products are things DAZ won't sell in their store. Increasingly, I have to look elsewhere for products I want since the number of products that interest me here continues to decline.

Sad though, because if DAZ provided the products I wanted, I'd spend my money here first.

I know there are many upset and a lot of questions here. I am sorry the change has upset and affected some of you. I have my own small site as well so I know how this can and does effect that.

That said, DAZ3D has debated this for a very long time now. While I can understand feeling DAZ3D is "being selfish" please understand that is not the intent of this decision. The truth of the matter is that while others fill the forum here with information on sales from other sites, information on packs sold elsewhere, etc it is getting increasingly difficult for Artists selling here to be able to give information at the site they are actually selling on. While a merchant at another site has the opportunity to provide details, extra images, tutorials, etc at their store they sell at without the worry of those threads vanishing beneath a pile of others and also the ability to secondarily make the information available here, the vendors here do not.

For those that wondered if the vendors asked for this, the answer is no. They have always been gracious and understanding on this issue but at some point DAZ3D does need to look out for the best interests of it's vendors.

For those that have smaller sites, I can completely empathize, I know personally the amount of work and time it takes and what goes into having one and the constraints you have to deal with as I too have a site I won't be able to advertise here anymore. And I too feel the loss of not being able to post here and also don't have "advertising" funds. There are other avenues open to you besides here though. I would highly suggest opening up a Facebook Group for your site as well as Twitter and possibly YouTube and also create a forum if you don't have one as a way to keep in touch with your customers. I have found doing those things has actually helped me more then posting here does and will give you better avenues to both promote and build your business the way you want and by your own rules.

Again I am very sorry for these changes, it was delayed for years after other sites all ready made these sorts of changes, but DAZ3D has to consider the needs of those who have put their faith in them by selling here and sadly it has become necessary to ensure those selling here have the access, ability, and opportunity necessary to provide information and help to their customers.

On some of the questions, we will do our best to answer them all tomorrow as many are gone for the day (or in bed in many cases) which is where I am heading :)

• UrumikeUrumike Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Urumike said:
    Nysalor said:

John

Discuss?...

The problem here will be to a) make users to register into new place b) find a good and cheap forum code with comfortable design and good appeal c) to find dedicated moderators.

Kattey;
    In short before I go to bed:
    a) True, but if they want it they will I hope
    b) not really a problem, Joomla has some good forum extensions, or there are some reliable yet cheap forum codes around
    c) definitely true!

I know it won't be easy. But we can't just wish for something without trying to make it come true, right? ;-)

Good night!

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

So we _can_ link other products in non-commercial threads as long as it doesn't violate common sense and purpose of this thread?

Yes... we don't view a link in a thread somewhere that comes up in a conversation the same as a promotional thread in a designated "commercial" section.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Seems to me that posts referring to products on other sites took far less precedence here already than in the past. I'm not sure if the posts to off-site products were really hurting DAZ PAs. It is possible (though I hope this doesn't prove true) that PAs will lose more sales by the alienation this might cause with several community members than the threads linking elsewhere ever caused.

I've never NOT bought something I wanted here at DAZ because I bought something I wanted elsewhere, and I doubt many others have done this either.

edited February 2013

Kattey said:

Yes... we don't view a link in a thread somewhere that comes up in a conversation the same as a promotional thread in a designated "commercial" section.
    Thank you, Brian, in a light of other circumstances those are at least some good news.

Personally I hate to live under witchhunt policy.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2013

Dogz said:

Well while I understand your frustration, they are a business rather than an Art site, and they are acting in the best intreast of their own business which is within their right to do.
    I admit It was nice they allowed 3rd parties to advertise here (I found it handy sometimes myself), but that was really a privilage and not an entitlement. And like I said, Rendo has never allowed for this AFAIK, so they are just doing what Rendo has already been doing..

By all means, let's be like the other places. By this logic, Daz should IMMEDIATELY remove their 30 day money back guarantee. I mean, Rendo doesn't do it, right?? Never has. There are things that USED to make this place special, and they have been disappearing ever since this new site went up.

Kattey said:
    If there are to be no linking to other commercial sites, how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial. For example I know that for the freebie challenge you have to post links to where you got the item, if its a commercial site will this still be allowed?

DAZ is not prohibiting all links to all other commercial sites. DAZ is just limiting the posting in the Commercial thread section to DAZ PAs and their products published on the DAZ site.

Then why did DAZ3D removed "learn and share" threads about DS plugins? They weren't commercial promotions. They were here to make Daz Studio a better software and encourage people to use it!

Even worse, why are you deleting threads and posts by FORUM MEMBERS who have the nerve to speak or post glowlingly about commercial products?

Epithumia said:
    Since DAZ3D no longer allows promotions to other sites, despite the MASSIVE amount of free advertising those sites give DAZ3D, I am no longer promoting DAZ.

I've just deleted every sharecg freebie I offered that enhanced a DAZ product. Many of them were 4-5 star rated items.

With all due respect, that hurts the users, not Daz :(

In the end, DAZ PAs support DAZ (and by extension these forums).

Our loyalty is to them and promoting competing 3rd party products or sites is a disservice to DAZ PAs and DAZ itself.

Well, apparently, Daz' loyalty is NOT to the customers any longer. That's become increasingly clear.

A 3rd party section would by definition also allow products that compete head-to-head with DAZ and DAZ PA products. How can that possibly be construed to benefit DAZ or its PAs?

Nonsense. The definition is what you make it. Don't call it 3rd Party, call it Non-PA Commercial or whatever. The point is I want to read about plug-ins and content that are compatible with DAZ products. Where else can I do that? You have taken away a resource and an excuse to come to your site. So you get a lot of traffic away from this site. The point is you are getting traffic to this site in the first place. That's what brings in the sales. If people stop using your site as a hub then you won't get the opportunity to sell to them.

I want to reinterate that wonderful point.

If people click away from your site to see somewhere else, it means that they came to your site first. Oppressive, bland, sterile environment that you are creating with the new policy won't make people come to your site at the first place. Why would they even care much about oppressive, bland, sterile environment and PAs who sell for it?

And I want to reiterate it again.

DAZ_BHowell,

Our intention is to encourage promotion and discussion of DAZ and DAZ PA products and limit the PROMOTION of competing products and sites, not ban every post or link to another site.

So we would not expect every post that says "hey what hair did you use on that figure?" "Oh its that hair .... on xyz site" to be removed.

So let me get this straight - as a customer, I am allowed to MENTION a product not sold here, I'm just not allowed to praise it or thing it's great, or show an image of it. Am I getting that? If the mods think I'm being, as a customer, too appreciative of another store's item, my post will be deleted? Because I know there has been at least one thread that was deleted because the customer did just that,

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited February 2013

So let me get this straight - as a customer, I am allowed to MENTION a product not sold here, I'm just not allowed to praise it or thing it's great, or show an image of it or link to it. Am I getting that? Because I know there has been at least one thread that was deleted because the customer did just that,

You can link to it and name it and (not 100% sure here) praise it but as soon as "very astute and judicious" forum mods will think it is a clever way to avoid 3rd party promotion ban it will be purged.

Not sure about images still.
    I'm trying to collect some official word in this thread

Post edited by Kattey on
  • WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited February 2013

Sure from a business perspective it makes perfect sense I agree...

But from the point of view of being one of those very small independant sites that would be considered a "competitor" I gotta say that this was one of the very few sites left where I could advertise freely so long as it was in the apropriate forum... Removing that ability from us means that we lose another space from a very very short list from which to get any traffic at all... So koodos to Daz and the other "big names" for making sure that us little guys have absolutely no chance to compete at all... lets face it... we just don't have the budget for advertising and marketing the way Daz and the other big sites do...

I also think that most of the biggies over-look the fact that having us smaller guys in the forums advertising and posting wips etc also provided a draw to Daz's own sites and forums as well... (but hey... what would I know, what with being a forum user as well as an offsite vendor...)

I know I frequently looked in the forums here to see if I could find things from other sites that I couldn't find in the store here or else where, and I'm sure so did many many others... But as I said... it makes perfect business sense... after all why would companies like Daz want anything other than to close their forums to outsiders when it allows them to protect their own profits and that's what this is all about... nothing more nothing less...

For me as a simple user here and forum member this is just one more reason amongst many that I have to leave what used to be a very decent company and site to look else where for the community this used to be... I gotta say I find it very sad that big sites like this, who built themselves on the backs of the "community" are now becoming "closed" sites to anyone other than their own exclusive markets... I left Rendo shortly after they started this process for this same reason...

Well, IF you find a place, let me know. I like going to one place to see all the new stuff. Then, if I want it, I can go there. But, I always check the store here first. Most of my money goes to Daz anyways. Lots of it. If I knew how to do something with my web site, I would set up a forum there. But, I am not good with doing web sites.
    Post edited by WitchStorm on
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Kattey - I saw the ok about linking so had deleted it from my post. I am glad the Garabaldi thread was returned but wonder how long it will be allowed to remain....

edited February 2013

Thanks, Kattey - I saw the ok about linking so had deleted it from my post. I am glad the Garabaldi thread was returned but wonder how long it will be allowed to remain....

I'm sad that Reality thread is gone still. I just started to learn it, and *poof* :-/

Could it at least be resurrected on DS Discussion forums? Please? Pretty please?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • TLTJadeTLTJade Posts: 55
    edited February 2013

wancow said:
    Pret-A-3D said:
    Zev0 said:

Umm look at the total views at industry news compare to what the commercial threads had. My one thread had 4 times the amount of views compared to that:) It's all about exposure and that thread is simply pointless...
    That was really not the point of my comment. Renderosity has an outlet where those kind of announcements can be made without the thread being deleted. After all, Bobvan, the customer who posted about the Reality update, was only trying to help other Studio users. He had no commercial interest in telling people about the update. He was just being nice to others. Nevertheless his thread was deleted. Not moved to another area. Deleted without warning.

Exactly my experience. What's insane is that these people make their living off Victoria 4, which is a DAZ product, yet linking to DAZ is verboten...

I do NOT blame DAZ for implementing this policy at all.

You're only correct if you are discussing other sites' forums, specifically.

If I link to Daz products in my gallery credits or vendors link to Daz products in their stores because their product depends on a Daz product such as V4 or a V4-specific item produced by a Daz PA on other sites (specifically, Renderosity, but I have seen it on several other sites I frequent, including DeviantArt and others), it's permitted. I've never seen the links removed and have, in fact, been encouraged to post links to items used in gallery renders that are available at Daz.

So basically, I'll still credit vendors who sell here (because it's the right thing to do and anything less would be asinine and punish good vendors for craptastic garbage policy that is not their fault), but I will be darned if I will specify that those items are available through Daz--because if the policy is good enough for Daz, it's good enough to apply TO Daz. Sorry if any PA's get hurt by it, you can thank Daz...because it's only fair and right and justified, right? If any vendor has their own site, I will most definitely be linking the vendor's site in my credits, though, reagardless of whether the material came from Daz or the vendor's site, because it's the vendor's hard work, and Daz shouldn't profit from it anyway, in my opinion, if the vendor can profit 100%.

Not sure if I blame Daz, per se for this policy specifically, but they're clearly implementing it because they aren't doing spectacularly in this economy. Part of it is due to the economic realities in the world, but much of it is due to absolutely idiotic mismanagement over the past year or more--and that, I most certainly do blame Daz for. Every bad decision they've made, they've doubled down on and compounded to make it spectacularly worse. Is it any wonder I've gone to Poser and started learning it instead because there are other companies who manage to at least pretend that, aside from one of their customer support people (yes, I do mean Britney Creek, who is the one shining light at Daz right now), they give a darn about the people who give them money?

Post edited by TLTJade on
This discussion has been closed.