Real World Spacesuits for Genesis 3

Would love to see spacesuits modelled after actual, real-world, Nasa (or other) models, for Genesis 3 male or female characters. Also, an EVA module for same.

Comments

• I agree I would love to see some space suits also. If any artist are intrested they should go to the Kennedy Space Centers site for some cool looking suits. The older ones look very sci fi.

kennedy-space-center.jpg
    550 x 367 - 35K
    0_7e343_3c8f78e1_XL.jpg
    785 x 523 - 121K
  • Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

Count me in on this as well.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

There's a pretty nice M3 Apollo spacesuit that can be adapted to G3 using the various clone products. You have to modify the weightmaps for the rigid parts like the neckring, etc. Alternatively, repose the spacesuit, tweak with deformers, export and reimport an obj, and use the transfer utility on the imported obj, but you'd still need to make sure the neck ring weightmapping only applies to the upper chest.

https://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    Jimbow said:

There's a pretty nice M3 Apollo spacesuit that can be adapted to G3 using the various clone products. You have to modify the weightmaps for the rigid parts like the neckring, etc. Alternatively, repose the spacesuit, tweak with deformers, export and reimport an obj, and use the transfer utility on the imported obj, but you'd still need to make sure the neck ring weightmapping only applies to the upper chest.

https://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

That sounds great. Can you point us to a tutorial on how to modify weight maps for DAZ Studio? If not, then your suggestions are pretty much useless for most of us.

edited April 2017

Plenty of tuts out there.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1920&bih=1079&btnG=Search&q=dazstudio+weightmapping&search_plus_one=form&oq=dazstudio+weightmapping

Once you get used to a few key concepts it's a lot easier than you'd think (I recoiled from trying it for a year or two). Generally, all you'd need to do for the Apollo suit would be to use the geometry editor tool to select the polygons you want to stick with the upper chest (lasoo selection mode around the neck o-ring and bordering fabric), switch to the weightmap editor tool, click on the spacesuit's Upper Chest node in the Scene parameters tab, click on General Weights in the weightmapping tab (the weights should show up as red to blue in the main viewport), go to the dropdown menu at top right and under Weight Editing select 'Fill Selected' and change the popup value to 100%. Then use the weightmap smooth brush to smooth out the weights. And that should be it. You could do the same with the wrist and ankle o-rings.

Once you had your suit how you wanted it, save it as a Figure asset in My Library.

I'd also advise limiting Genesis3 joint rotations to the restrictions of a spacesuit.

Post edited by Jimbow on

Just so you know it's possible, here's a quick render of a kitbash I did the other week using stacks of items I had in my runtime. One thing I did was to try and not rig as much of it as possible and just parent them to bones instead, which was made easier by restricting the limits of the G3M joint rotations. The main suit, most of the helmet and the gloves are the aforementioned M3 (Apollo_ spacesuit. The rest are bits from a WW2 pilot, scuba gear, various sci-fi vehicles, with parts removed using the geometry editor. I could have used an external 3D app but wanted to see how easy it was inside Daz Studio. If I'd had the Wear Them All - Autofit Clones Expansion for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Genesis 3 Female(s) at the time then it might have been easier.

Spacesuit02_Render.png
    691 x 987 - 462K

Wow, excellent resources and great timing on that discussion. The texture on that old M3 suit is stands up great.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    Jimbow said:

Just so you know it's possible, here's a quick render of a kitbash I did the other week using stacks of items I had in my runtime. One thing I did was to try and not rig as much of it as possible and just parent them to bones instead, which was made easier by restricting the limits of the G3M joint rotations. The main suit, most of the helmet and the gloves are the aforementioned M3 (Apollo_ spacesuit. The rest are bits from a WW2 pilot, scuba gear, various sci-fi vehicles, with parts removed using the geometry editor. I could have used an external 3D app but wanted to see how easy it was inside Daz Studio. If I'd had the Wear Them All - Autofit Clones Expansion for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Genesis 3 Female(s) at the time then it might have been easier.

That looks great! Still, short of cobbling together a suit like you've done (so well) here, I'm hoping there will be one ready made in the catalog.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2017

I do think some real-world spacesuits would be awesome, especially something with convincing textures.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    Joe Webb said:

Wow, excellent resources and great timing on that discussion. The texture on that old M3 suit is stands up great.

Whoa! The texturing's my own. Thought I should make sure you know that. The spacesuit doesn't come with textures.

@ThoseThings, many thanks :)

Jimbow said:
    Joe Webb said:

Whoa! The texturing's my own. Thought I should make sure you know that. The spacesuit doesn't come with textures.

@ThoseThings, many thanks :)

Ooops. OK then, I didn't realize that. Great job on that texture! I'll have to get started - I picked up that iray textures tutorial so I should just set down and get it done :)

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Imaginary high tech space suits such as shape hugging body suits abound, so indeed it would be nice to see some current style space suits and some slightly more futuristic space and environment suits which are more than just spandex with a helmet. (not that I have anything against spandex suits :) )