WillowRaven's latest model/product requests: Legend of the Seeker outfit

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Actually the difference of wood vs steel has to do with time more than anything else rigs were transitioning from wood to steel during this time and also becoming taller

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Sure Aidana, I'll start creating dynamic clothing for DS if you will loan me $10,000.00 US to purchase the OptiTex Suite.

The mighty lordvicore has joined the fray. Hopefully, he will grace us with his uncanny wit alongside his awesome modeling skills.

M F M:
    You could probably get away with stacking planks UV's for something so straight forward as this. And, a workaround for diversity in the planks can be achieved by assigning multiple material/shader zones, and then applying separate textures to those needing individuality. If not needed you save big on resources, but if needed you are set up for customization.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Just for the record... I'm not being snarky or anything, I was commenting on what is the worst most senseless-random thread placement algorithm in the history of numbers and and electrons... I would have never seen this thread, had there not been a link in the "Oil Derrick" thread. It was 2 hours 22 minutes old when I found it, but it was on page 2 of the forums, while a thread that was several days old and not more recently responded to was on page one... REALLY annoying. You cant help people anymore, cause you can't find them.
    I keep looking at the issues that are still prevalent at the store and I know if they haven't resolved some of those yet the forums will be frelled for far longer.... Megh. My cup o' frustration doth runneth over... all over my new sneakers of annoyance. I see people saying there is some sort of order... sorry I don't see it... maybe these are the same folks that see Abe Lincoln's face on a piece of toast or Elvis in a pet stain... But I'm not seeing it.
    Sorry about my venting frustration.

Still looking into details... Incidentally, about 10 years ago I made a 1/24 th scale model of a wooden oil derrick (early 1900s) for a large scale model train collector. Most of the reference materials went back to the owner, but there is a small chance that I copied some or made sketches... I'll look through my old files later today. I remember though the well head details were difficult to decipher, as the reference images were very bad copies of Xeroxed images and drawings. There was a lot of guessing. The client liked it and I just assumed he knew more that I... so hopefully I can find some of that stuff.

Well, gotta go.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited June 2012

DaremoK3 said:
    Sure Aidana, I'll start creating dynamic clothing for DS if you will loan me $10,000.00 US to purchase the OptiTex Suite.

Will you take a personal check? ;-P

The mighty lordvicore has joined the fray. Hopefully, he will grace us with his uncanny wit alongside his awesome modeling skills.

I agree. I think he'll be an awesome addition to our little group. :D

M F M:
    You could probably get away with stacking planks UV's for something so straight forward as this. And, a workaround for diversity in the planks can be achieved by assigning multiple material/shader zones, and then applying separate textures to those needing individuality. If not needed you save big on resources, but if needed you are set up for customization.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I know ya say it's not that hard to build, but I don't understand blender, nor have the time to learn it, I haven't had the time to learn my Hexagon software

No need to learn anything new, everything we've talked about can be done in Studio, and I believe Poser is little different. It's worth finding a little time to play with the primitives because they can be a very quick and efficient method of putting together a simple prop that isn't available anywhere else. For instance I've just decided I need a disabled parking pass to use in my current image, it's going to take me longer to go out to the car to get mine so I can take a picture of it to use as the texture, than it will to make the primitive I'll be applying it to. Similarly in the picture below I needed a cane for the girl, and it only took about 5 minutes to put it together - that's less time than it would have taken to look for one in a store (not that one's available), never mind buy and install it.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Just for the record... I'm not being snarky or anything, I was commenting on what is the worst most senseless-random thread placement algorithm in the history of numbers and and electrons... I would have never seen this thread, had there not been a link in the "Oil Derrick" thread. It was 2 hours 22 minutes old when I found it, but it was on page 2 of the forums, while a thread that was several days old and not more recently responded to was on page one... REALLY annoying. You cant help people anymore, cause you can't find them.

Absolutely! >_<... although... the threads appear to be arranged in reverse date-of-creation order, with the stickies (as usual) pre-empting everything else. So, you'll see old stickies before you see new threads >_<... and this one is stuck on (usually) the second-to-last, or third-to-last page (depending on how many threads have been created). Aidana got in "early"... :D</p>

I keep looking at the issues that are still prevalent at the store and I know if they haven't resolved some of those yet the forums will be frelled for far longer.... Megh. My cup o' frustration doth runneth over... all over my new sneakers of annoyance...

Heheh... I have a pair of those sneakers!... can't buy nuffink because the already-purchased check is nowhere to be seen... apparently my PC subscription has disappeared (people talk about the "Edit" button on the My Subscriptions page? not there -- if they don't want my money, then I'll do my best to meet their expectations), searching for anything in my Order History is a lost cause (in 3000+ items? yes I know about binary search, Taozen's application, and rolling your own spreadsheet - but none of that was necessary in the Old System which this thing replaced), FastGrab shortcut at the bottom of the window - not happening, display of order after returning from PP payment page - not seeing it, embedding images within a post to aid in discussion - NFL, stupid message box keeps sliding upward in IE8 while typing, forum posts keep getting eaten (have to Submit several times to get it to "stick"), heck, even the existence of avatar images to aid in seeing who said what (rather than having to read people's names)... *shrug*. I'll just stay in Blender I think, fiddling with verts and Cycles lighting ^_^.

< /rant > *phew* ~_~...

I see people saying there is some sort of order... sorry I don't see it... maybe these are the same folks that see Abe Lincoln's face on a piece of toast or Elvis in a pet stain... But I'm not seeing it. Sorry about my venting frustration.

Don't forget the face of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the wall of the church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Our_Lady_of_Yankalilla ... and a good vent now and then helps reduce the pressure between your ears >(~_~)< ... ;-).

Still looking into details... Incidentally, about 10 years ago I made a 1/24 th scale model of a wooden oil derrick (early 1900s) for a large scale model train collector. Most of the reference materials went back to the owner, but there is a small chance that I copied some or made sketches... I'll look through my old files later today. I remember though the well head details were difficult to decipher, as the reference images were very bad copies of Xeroxed images and drawings. There was a lot of guessing. The client liked it and I just assumed he knew more that I... so hopefully I can find some of that stuff.

Wow! ... I don't suppose you have any photos of the model itself do you? That would be awesome to see (O.O)... I _suspect_ that Aidana doesn't really need a 100% accurate model (unlike your trainset one) - just something that gives the right _impression_ in the 200 or so pixels available to it ;-). Ergo, if we get the ladder on the wrong side, or don't have enough cables running to the top, or simplify the mechanisms, it won't be the end of the world (luckily ~_~). I get the feeling that what we do (pushing verts around to make "objects") is model-making for the 21stC - just we're no longer limited by materials, matchsticks, balsa, styrofoam, cast lead, etc, and can make whatever you put your mind to (^_^).

edited December 1969

@MFM: Sorry no pix of that model, but tons of photos of other models I made... I make both prototypes and "scale models"... prototypes (full size) usually don't get photographed because there is usually little time to do it or it is forbidden (especially medical and military). Scale models mostly I do take pix of, but sometimes as in this case I don't have time. I kinda resented that model too because of the bad refs... I hate guessing at stuff. I either want complete freedom to create or exact specs... it kills me when someone tells me "It has to be 100% accurate and here are the 3 thumbnail size b&w white images I copied on my dying 78' xerox machine, use these to base your measurements on"...

Which brings me to my next point... no reference images were found from that project... well, I did find a nice bunch of images of a brake pump and boiler for a Mallet type narrow gauge loco from the same client. Not the same though.

Model update: Mostly upper deck and some coupling plates... two quick (Kerkythea) renders of the upper deck 1 color 1 clay:

30sOR5.jpg
    1350 x 937 - 187K
    30sOR3.jpg
    1342 x 930 - 160K
  • niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited June 2012

Hi guys... I don't know if these will help you with your oil derrick projects, but here are some links to images of early East Texas style derricks and the well heads from the oil boom years, late teens through 30's. I didn't post the pics here because they're not mine

The first two links are to blogs from people who went to the Panhandle History Museum and the East Texas Oil Museum. They have some good photos of the well heads

The other links are to blue print images and period diagrams of the Standard Oil Rig that was common of the time

Panhandle History Museum blog

East Texas Oil Museum blog

Steam Powered Drill Head

Blueprint image 1

Blueprint image 2

www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/Darryl L Huffman/2006102813715_rig-for-emailing-1.jpg

www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/Darryl L Huffman/2006102813924_rig-for-emailing-2.jpg

I hope these help... :) but they are looking good so far

Edit: to fix links ( forum didn't like the format so copy paste links and add (% 20) with no space before and after the L )

Post edited by niccipb on
    edited December 1969

niccipb said:
    Hi guys... I don't know if these will help you with your oil derrick projects, but here are some links to images of early East Texas style derricks and the well heads from the oil boom years, late teens through 30's. I didn't post the pics here because they're not mine

The first two links are to blogs from people who went to the Panhandle History Museum and the East Texas Oil Museum. They have some good photos of the well heads

The other links are to blue print images and period diagrams of the Standard Oil Rig that was common of the time

Panhandle History Museum blog

East Texas Oil Museum blog

Steam Powered Drill Head

Thanks for the reference pics :D

Blueprint image 1

Blueprint image 2

Standard Oil Rig diagram 1

Standard Oil Rig diagram 2

I hope these help... :) but they are looking good so far

edited December 1969

MFM is right, Lordvicore. I only need decent facsimiles, not exact replicas. Looking great so far :D

edited December 1969

I have another prop need. The cover was just assigned to me today and has a surprise deadline of Thursday. Especially because of the deadline, I am definitely willing to negotiate a fee or trade or something. Just PM me.

It's the gate to Clara Cemetery in Texas:

ClaraTxCemetery0207BG.jpg
    410 x 308 - 18K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2012

What sort of detail do you need Aidana? ... is it going to be a foreground element, or a background element?

(this is a quicky, about 8000 verts - can probably add the mesh in using just a flat plane texture, as well as a bit of extra welding work...).

EDIT: hmmm, on comparing the two pics... I probably need to halve the diameter of my tubing, as well as fix the font of the letters X).

claraGate_cy1.png
    800 x 800 - 235K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited June 2012

@ niccipb- Thanks for links! The Texas oil museum had some very helpful images. The Oil rig diagram (at the model railroad forum) comes up as a 404 error, but sans the "data/Darryl" part I can reach the forums. I have to check out the data , research and reference sections it looks like there could be all sorts of cool links. Thanks again!

@AidanaWillowRaven- Have you come across any images of a rig that is similar to what you envision? Do you have any idea what the scene set up is for the required image/images? I know it sounds wacky, but a simple (even "stick figures on stained napkin quality") sketch might give me a better idea what you need and what the camera will be pointed at.

Edited to add- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Fricken, &!$^#$@&@& line break insertion... CAN NOTHING WORK HERE??!?!?

I'm fine..... not really... $@#!$#%@$&*@%#%#$+?!^#$& Magento software....

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    What sort of detail do you need Aidana? ... is it going to be a foreground element, or a background element?

It's a background element, and has been there since 1886. It's a historical ghost town, but accuracy is not essential since only glimpses through the trees will be visible. I am mainly using it as a recognizable feature for any who have visited the cemetery or have researched it online.

(this is a quicky, about 8000 verts - can probably add the mesh in using just a flat plane texture, as well as a bit of extra welding work...).

EDIT: hmmm, on comparing the two pics... I probably need to halve the diameter of my tubing, as well as fix the font of the letters X).

I have no way of knowing the font ... lol. It does not need to be exact by any means. Just similar. There will be a 'artistic license' disclaimer in the book.

edited December 1969

@ niccipb- Thanks for links! The Texas oil museum had some very helpful images. The Oil rig diagram (at the model railroad forum) comes up as a 404 error, but sans the "data/Darryl" part I can reach the forums. I have to check out the data , research and reference sections it looks like there could be all sorts of cool links. Thanks again!

@AidanaWillowRaven- Have you come across any images of a rig that is similar to what you envision? Do you have any idea what the scene set up is for the required image/images? I know it sounds wacky, but a simple (even "stick figures on stained napkin quality") sketch might give me a better idea what you need and what the camera will be pointed at.

Edited to add- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Fricken, &!$^#$@&@& line break insertion... CAN NOTHING WORK HERE??!?!?

I'm fine..... not really... $@#!$#%@$&*@%#%#$+?!^#$& Magento software....

Lol. I could not help but chuckle at your momentary meltdown ... lol. I was having one at 2 am because Daz refused to add products to my cart last night. Guess they don't want my $40. Turns out, I found a freebie somewhere else today ... :P I'll take my kid to the movies instead.

For this book, it will be midway in the scene, sharing space with an old timey truck. So great detail is not needed. There has to be room for a title and by-line, too, and the MC and an environment.

The sketches I shared before are the ones I drew from the very old photograph the author gave me during book one's creation. It's from the actual setting/town the inspired the books.

edited December 1969

M F M said:

I may have found a better pic for you, MFM ... Well, maybe not 'better' since the date doesn't even bother to show up on the left ... but you can see the 'rickety-ness' better. Can't you?

Claracem1.jpg
    640 x 426 - 49K
    edited June 2012

The sketches I shared before are the ones I drew from the very old photograph the author gave me during book one's creation. It's from the actual setting/town the inspired the books.

I was gonna say "What sketches?" so I went back a few pages... and forward... and back... actually, I found it midway on the previous page... Hmm... "Why?" you ask... "Magento" I answer... sometimes picture load one after another (actually, "POP" into existence would be more accurate) and sometimes one or two pop on and then after a moment or two, the rest, like malevolent popcorn, randomly blossom onto my screen... another UBER FRACKING annoying site quirk... because if I am, lets say... beginning to read the fifth post from the top- BAM! suddenly I'm looking at the third, so I scroll down while the thread jumps up and down as the page gets longer.
    Its cool though... makes me nostalgic for the mid to late 90s when the web was new and pictures on screen were a big thing... I'm thinking maybe if this persists much longer DAZ should just play it off as a retro 80s site... I'd suggest they choose some sort of pastel Miami Vice colors as the theme, but at this point they'll have to go through hell and high water just to change from the present "Alien Abduction White" theme...
    Yup, so I found the images to which you refer, which I had previously not noticed...

So in reference to your sketches (nice, by the way)... if that is basically the size ratio of the model to total image space, you really don't need much detail other than some suggestion of the well head at the top and some basic machinery shapes at the bottom...

I have no idea why I thought you needed more detail than that... Well, let me see what I can do to speed that up...

edited December 1969

I was gonna say "What sketches?" so I went back a few pages... and forward... and back... actually, I found it midway on the previous page... Hmm... "Why?" you ask... "Magento" I answer... sometimes picture load one after another (actually, "POP" into existence would be more accurate) and sometimes one or two pop on and then after a moment or two, the rest, like malevolent popcorn, randomly blossom onto my screen... another UBER FRACKING annoying site quirk... because if I am, lets say... beginning to read the fifth post from the top- BAM! suddenly I'm looking at the third, so I scroll down while the thread jumps up and down as the page gets longer.

Its cool though... makes me nostalgic for the mid to late 90s when the web was new and pictures on screen were a big thing... I'm thinking maybe if this persists much longer DAZ should just play it off as a retro 80s site... I'd suggest they choose some sort of pastel Miami Vice colors as the theme, but at this point they'll have to go through hell and high water just to change from the present "Alien Abduction White" theme...

Lol ... I've GOT to suggest that color to Crayola or Prismacolor ... 'Alien Abduction White' ... lol. I love it!

Yup, so I found the images to which you refer, which I had previously not noticed...

Even funnier ... I was about to re-post the illos so you wouldn't have to flip back, but I didn't because I was joked before when I re-posted the same images twice ... lol. I'm sorry for putting you through that scavenger hunt ... lol ... but your reaction amused me :D

So in reference to your sketches (nice, by the way)... if that is basically the size ratio of the model to total image space, you really don't need much detail other than some suggestion of the well head at the top and some basic machinery shapes at the bottom...

I have no idea why I thought you needed more detail than that... Well, let me see what I can do to speed that up...

Thank you. I was going for an old fashioned look with the charcoal sketches. Sort of a classic Sawyer/Huck-Finn feel.

I understand why you would think I needed more detail, considering some of the past projects you described, and my stating that future books in the series may need a closer view. For this cover, the 'closeness is about that of the one without the boys in it. I re-post it here so you don't need to flip back ... lol.

drill_charcoal_777.jpg
    772 x 777 - 105K
    edited December 1969

If I remember right, that pile of scribble is coal, sitting next to what looked like a furnace of some sort. Maybe how the derrick was powered? Behind it is a shed, which I think I have a few, and random machinery and crapola beside it.

I'm going to search around for the other stuff, but I suspect that furnace will be a tough find.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi lordvicore...

oops...sorry about the links... :red: the forum doesn't like the % 20 in address links. I edited the links in the post, they're in plain text now (sort of...)

edited December 1969

niccipb said:
    Hi lordvicore...

oops...sorry about the links... :red: the forum doesn't like the % 20 in address links. I edited the links in the post, they're in plain text now (sort of...)

WOW! Sweet Zombie Elvis! Those are GREAT! Now I have a better idea of what is/should be going on inside the rig! Thanks niccipb!!

edited December 1969

I am getting frustrated with the 'Clara' cover. Why is it of all of the cemeteries, graves, tombs, etc I have or can find all have creepy stones, but no normal headstones? The headstones in the real cemetery I am loosely basing the cover on do not look that old or neglected.

Any idea where I can find some normal headstones like these. And grave decorations?

Claracem3.jpg
    640 x 426 - 46K
    Claracem2.jpg
    640 x 426 - 63K
    edited December 1969

I made these...

They still need to be textured.

HS1.jpg
    1524 x 919 - 82K
    edited December 1969

I made these...

They still need to be textured.

You made those just now? You're amazing! I have spent the last five hours looking for normal headstones. Thanks!

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    slightly OT, but I love the draping on her dress and both the cloaks. Which ones are they?

Thanks, Shaaelia :D

The cloaks are Optitex's Controllable Dynamic Cloak: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/controllable-dynamic-cloak-for-daz-studio

The dress is the Maiden Fair Dynamic Gown, but I modified the neckline to suit the story's needs: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/maiden-fair-dynamic-gown

Sorry for the late reply, no notifications and not being able to log onto the forums do that to ya. :roll: Thanks for the info, another few things to add to the cart :)

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    Shaaelia said:
    slightly OT, but I love the draping on her dress and both the cloaks. Which ones are they?

Thanks, Shaaelia :D

The cloaks are Optitex's Controllable Dynamic Cloak: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/controllable-dynamic-cloak-for-daz-studio

The dress is the Maiden Fair Dynamic Gown, but I modified the neckline to suit the story's needs: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/dynamic-clothing/maiden-fair-dynamic-gown

Sorry for the late reply, no notifications and not being able to log onto the forums do that to ya. :roll: Thanks for the info, another few things to add to the cart :)

I am a huge advocate for Martin's (Optitex) dynamic clothes. I use at least something of his, either a freebie or from his stores, in almost every render.

edited June 2012

About The Headstones...

Finished the textures, and Poserized them... now all I have to do is fix the texture paths so they work in DS...

Will be done by this evening...

AidanaWillowRaven, I will email them to you when done...

Anyone else who wants these, they will be available on ShareCG later next week...

Still finishing up Oil rig...

Why am I writing like this is a teletype message?... Stop

All is well, Titanic has sunk... I did not... Stop

Very wet now... Stop.

Quick Poser render of headstones... Stop

Headstones1.jpg
    1052 x 771 - 121K
    edited December 1969

About The Headstones...

Finished the textures, and Poserized them... now all I have to do is fix the texture paths so they work in DS...

Will be done by this evening...

AidanaWillowRaven, I will email them to you when done...

Anyone else who wants these, they will be available on ShareCG later next week...

Still finishing up Oil rig...

Why am I writing like this is a teletype message?... Stop

All is well, Titanic has sunk... I did not... Stop

Very wet now... Stop.

Quick Poser render of headstones... Stop

These are perfect ... stop

Will try out now ... stop

Will share results tonight ... stop

Now someone needs to make the cemetery style ornaments (flowers, wreaths, etc) to compliment Lordvicore's set ... stop

Thanks, :P

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I am a huge advocate for Martin's (Optitex) dynamic clothes. I use at least something of his, either a freebie or from his stores, in almost every render.

I did at one stage too, my latest work (which I can't get to render cause of a lack of processing power) uses the trinity coat. I don't think I picked up those two though, thinking that I wouldn't use them, but now I may have to reconsider :-)

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

I did at one stage too, my latest work (which I can't get to render cause of a lack of processing power) uses the trinity coat. I don't think I picked up those two though, thinking that I wouldn't use them, but now I may have to reconsider :-)

I have fun thinking of new ways to use them. For example, take the free mummy wraps. Bloody them up with gordome and pose the garment in an odd position, but not on a figure, and have it intersect with the ground. You get bloody bandages.

Guess what I used as the baby blanket?

Lilith-final---high-rez---REVISED----signed-----for-web_-_rez_577_wide.jpg
    577 x 866 - 206K