WillowRaven's latest model/product requests: Legend of the Seeker outfit

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

The pouch is looking spectacular, DaremoK3. We're ok on time. The author added a new character to the composition, so a window of time has been created. ;)

I'm with MFM ... you could a whole pouch series ... I see a lot of uses for this. :D

edited December 1969

Thought you guys might like to see the final result of the scene that needed the crystal sword. :D

Deragan_Sword_Prophecy_-_Kainan_-_bk_1_-_777_at_96ppi.jpg
    518 x 777 - 116K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2012

(^_^)d

EDIT: on a Blender-related note, wow! O.O... Marvelous Designer-like sewing in our favourite tool (^_^) - I'm looking forward to playing with this one when it gets merged into the main release:

http://www.blendernation.com/2012/06/22/sewing-clothes/

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Something from the oil boom days ... to match the 1930's truck and themes. Any ideas?

Brave_Today_Scroungers_Tomorrow_Compact.jpg
    566 x 800 - 50K
    30sOR1.jpg
    914 x 933 - 84K
    220px-Bottom_Part_of_an_Oil_Well_in_Brazoria_County.jpg
    220 x 280 - 18K
    Oil2.jpg
    1022 x 690 - 243K
    Oil1.jpg
    1030 x 690 - 291K
    SuperStock_4048-7062.jpg
    350 x 236 - 50K
    edited June 2012
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Exactly. :D Do you think this is something I need to add to my model request thread?

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Cover looks fantastic, Aidana.

M F M:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Blender front. I couldn't find a Windows version to try, so I will have to wait until someone compiles the patch. More, and more, I think someone needs to create a bridge to Blender from DS. Would be nice to have direct links for morph work, and (soon) viable dynamic cloth creations.

Aidana:
    Here is an update on the pouch. I am almost done. Just need to complete some testing tomorrow, and then package everything up. I completed a plethora of morph targets for the neck-cord (approximately 50) that should help you give it some life. Also, I have added another displacement cord stitching style. Now you have three choices (two stitching, or bare).

Some more WIP pics below showing default parented placement (on Aidana length neck-cord MT), an example of movement morphs in action, and the new stitching style:

Lacing2_WIP.jpg
    760 x 615 - 122K
    Movement01a.jpg
    800 x 800 - 92K
    CordLength01.jpg
    785 x 652 - 47K
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

More people might recognise what you want if you called it an oil derrick.

Have you considered putting one together from cube primitives? It's essentially just a set of beams of consistent size but varying length, all tacked together. Simplest way to assemble it would be to construct one side on the flat, then merge 4 copies together and bring them together in the pyramid form.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

How close are they to the camera? If they are in the distance then you can easily use primitives to construct one, save it as a scene, and then merge multiple in if you're looking for many.

If they are up close, and you need lots of detail, you need to decide which type you want. The wood types were constructed differently from the metal, and you need to decide if they are the temporary types, or the more permanent types. The area of the country may also make a difference. Those built in the more northern regions were a bit different than those in the south.

Kendall

edited December 1969

DWG said:
    More people might recognise what you want if you called it an oil derrick.

Have you considered putting one together from cube primitives? It's essentially just a set of beams of consistent size but varying length, all tacked together. Simplest way to assemble it would be to construct one side on the flat, then merge 4 copies together and bring them together in the pyramid form.

I am nooo modeler ...lol. :bug:

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

The first is too primitive, the second too straight ... lol. Thanks, though.

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Cover looks fantastic, Aidana.

M F M:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Blender front. I couldn't find a Windows version to try, so I will have to wait until someone compiles the patch. More, and more, I think someone needs to create a bridge to Blender from DS. Would be nice to have direct links for morph work, and (soon) viable dynamic cloth creations.

Wait ... are you saying you'll be making dynamic clothes for Daz?

Aidana:
    Here is an update on the pouch. I am almost done. Just need to complete some testing tomorrow, and then package everything up. I completed a plethora of morph targets for the neck-cord (approximately 50) that should help you give it some life. Also, I have added another displacement cord stitching style. Now you have three choices (two stitching, or bare).

Some more WIP pics below showing default parented placement (on Aidana length neck-cord MT), an example of movement morphs in action, and the new stitching style:

This is looking absolutely perfect!

edited December 1969

How close are they to the camera? If they are in the distance then you can easily use primitives to construct one, save it as a scene, and then merge multiple in if you're looking for many.

This book has it about mid-way. Close enough to see is the period or style is wrong, but not so close as to see what type of wood it is. However, this is series, so I always shoot for good models that are diverse enough for close shots f need be.

If they are up close, and you need lots of detail, you need to decide which type you want. The wood types were constructed differently from the metal, and you need to decide if they are the temporary types, or the more permanent types. The area of the country may also make a difference. Those built in the more northern regions were a bit different than those in the south.

Kendall

I need the type common in Texas during the depression era, at the very beginning of the oil boom days. Does that help?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited June 2012

This book has it about mid-way. Close enough to see is the period or style is wrong, but not so close as to see what type of wood it is. However, this is series, so I always shoot for good models that are diverse enough for close shots f need be.

Kendall

I need the type common in Texas during the depression era, at the very beginning of the oil boom days. Does that help?

OK. For the distant wells, you can get away with primitives textured with transmaps. (EDIT: Use a Cone Primitive with 4 sides to get the derrick shape) Very low poly and easy to work with. For more visible items, but not highly detailed, you can create either 3 inch x 3 inch, and 4 inch x 4 inch primative cubes and then scale and translate them to the correct places to create the derrick. Look for images of the "Lucas Gusher" for an example of open derrick construction from that period of time. It really isn't that hard.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

The problem with a 1930s oil derrick is that the tower part is fairly simple, and any close up shots would really only show the legs. I'm not sure just the tower will sell the impression of a tower. The derrick should include drilling equipment and perhaps a base deck. Otherwise you could get away with any simple metal or wood frame tower like the ones in the pictures.

BTW- One more annoyance with the new forums: Adding more than one image/attachment sucks!!

edited December 1969

Since I think we've pretty much established that a good 3D derrick prop is not currently available for the time period I need, I think I will move this conversation to my "model and product requests" thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/162/

I know ya say it's not that hard to build, but I don't understand blender, nor have the time to learn it, I haven't had the time to learn my Hexagon software, and I am constantly fighting publishing deadlines ... lol.

Hopefully if I put in my product request thread somebody will pick up the project.

Thanks, guys :D

edited December 1969

Some may have seen this in a different thread, but that thread was not a request for a specialty item when I started it. I really hoped there was a ready-made oil derrick I could find a link to. Upon further discussion, it appears there isn't one, and I'll need it made by some wonderful person :cheese::kiss:

I need it to resemble an old derrick from the 1930's/depression/oil-boom days, in Texas region.

If anybody is interested, there were some awesome pics shown in that thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2789/

edited December 1969

When do you need this by?

edited December 1969

When do you need this by?

Maybe in two weeks, three on the outside? I posted a request in my model request thread, above. If there are any modelers here that are always on the look-out for unique model practice ... I welcome all. :D

edited December 1969

I started an oil derrick, it's just a frame now... I'll see how much progress I can make and if it makes sense... Reference pictures are hard to come by on the internet... most are very small.
    Here is a quick KT render...

edited December 1969

I started an oil derrick, it's just a frame now... I'll see how much progress I can make and if it makes sense... Reference pictures are hard to come by on the internet... most are very small.
    Here is a quick KT render...

Cool! Would you mind terrible re-posting this in the "model request" thread above? I am trying to keep all of he things I request in one thread.

edited June 2012

Lordvicore seems to be moving ahead on a metal derrick... I might try a wooden one... what would be the most convenient UV-mapping for it though?

The simplest way (from the pov of modelling) is to unwrap one plank, then duplicate that object for every board required in the tower - but then, if you use a detailed texture on it, it will become Rather Obvious that every single plank is identical X). Another option would be to model it first, then unwrap it so each side is "flat", so you end up with having to create an "A" shape on your texture for each of the four sides - wasting a whooole lot of texture pixels (plus having to take care of the "end-on" textures separately). The advantage of the latter, though, is that you could paint little irregularities all over the tower very easily. I guess a third way would be to use a few different planks (3-4 unique types?), each one could be mapped to a new texture so you could break up the regularity of the planks, and hopefully make the thing look a bit more "natural".

*wanders into Blender to bang a few verts together...*

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Lordvicore seems to be moving ahead on a metal derrick... I might try a wooden one... what would be the most convenient UV-mapping for it though?

The simplest way (from the pov of modelling) is to unwrap one plank, then duplicate that object for every board required in the tower - but then, if you use a detailed texture on it, it will become Rather Obvious that every single plank is the identical X). Another option would be to model it first, then unwrap it so each side is "flat", so you end up with having to create an "A" shape on your texture for each of the four sides - wasting a whooole lot of texture pixels (plus having to take care of the "end-on" textures separately). The advantage of the latter, though, is that you could paint little irregularities all over the tower very easily. I guess a third way would be to use a few different planks (3-4 unique types?), each one could be mapped to a new texture so you could break up the regularity of the wood, and hopefully make the regularity a bit less obvious.

*wanders into Blender to bang a few verts together...*

Lol ... it tickles me how ya'll are so willing to tinker with a new challenge. I bet ya'll would make great engineers. I just don't have that 'thing' ya'll have, I guess.

Although I can definitely see use for a metal one, for this book, it's historically more accurate to have a wooden one. And you're right, it wouldn't be factory accurate, but haphazardly nailed together wood planks and built by hand, most likely by a crew of once-still-farmers. Regularity doesn't come to mind. Especially if you look at he old pics. This is the illustration I created based on a pic pic provided by the author when I was doing book 1, taken at the very place the story takes place in. It's a historical fiction, so I'd like it as similar as possible.

I unfortunately don't have the pic anymore. I lost it when my old computer kicked the bucket.

frontispiece_copy_777.jpg
    561 x 777 - 116K
    drill_charcoal_777.jpg
    772 x 777 - 105K
    edited June 2012

Hmmm... definitely going to have to "warp" this a little more... haven't finished the pegging, or the platform at the top, or the ladder down the side etc etc - just going for overall shape and angles atm (^_^).

... this is about 8m high, with a 10deg slant on the main poles... base area 4m x 4m... shrinking to a platform at the top of about 1.6m x 1.6m... looking at your wonderful woodcut Aidana, it would appear they were a lot "skinnier"... and perhaps I should use actual _logs_ (ie cylinders) for the main posts, rather than 'planks'... hmmm.

EDIT: in your first pic, if that's a little human figure half-way up, on the left-side of the derrick... then I'd guesstimate yours is about 18m tall? ... and much less of a slant on the sides (maybe only 3-5deg...). Ah, duty calls - going to have to pick this up again later >_<.</p>

EDIT2: is it just me, or is there a time-delay on Updating posts? ... seems I can't put an edit in for "a little while" X(.

EDIT3: I wish I had time to do this tutorial: http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/create-realistic-materials-with-cycles X))) (posting here (a) to remind me, (b) in case any other Blenderers would be interested, and (c) because it seems vaguely relevant to our current project ;-) ).

quick_test16a.png
    800 x 800 - 340K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

I found a close-up of an old pic. Does this help?

Untitled-1_copy.jpg
    471 x 777 - 70K
    edited June 2012

Hmm... I had never seen this thread before. I looked in the freepozitory request thread. Without links or some way to bump this thread it will be lost in SiteChange hell soon. Eh, anyway... This is what I have so far...

I still need to find reference images for well head details... as well as other stuff.

Edited to add-

I now notice there are two models going... I am basing this off of mostly 30s californian steel frame oil rigs... which seem to be more "big oil" owned... the wooden one may be more accurate for an independently owned wildcatter rig.

30sOR2.jpg
    997 x 928 - 128K
    Post edited by McGyver on
    edited June 2012

Hmm... I had never seen this thread before. I looked in the freepozitory request thread. Without links or some way to bump this thread it will be lost in SiteChange hell soon. Eh, anyway... This is what I have so far...

I still need to find reference images for well head details... as well as other stuff.

Edited to add-

I now notice there are two models going... I am basing this off of mostly 30s californian steel frame oil rigs... which seem to be more "big oil" owned... the wooden one may be more accurate for an independently owned wildcatter rig.

For this book, the one MFM is working on is more appropriate. But since this book series evolves from a small nowhere-town in the early oil days to a progressive, big-money town, both of these are going to come in handy over the evolution of the series.

As far as being able to find later, this thread is not necessarily a freebie request thread. I offer to pay for my requests. It just so happens only one request of all of he requests I've ever made has had a fee negotiated. When I make a request here, it's to be understood that I am willing to pay or trade for anything I ask for. So you see, it really doesn't fit in the freepository. It just so happens everything in the new forum has been offered free.

Make sense?

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited June 2012

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the extra "details" around it as well (as Lord Vicore said, the well head, the connection to the drilling mechanism (I presume?), exactly what should appear within the framework structure, etc etc). So if anyone else wants to make wooden derricks, please go right ahead! (^_^).

EDIT: the more (relevant) references the better, Aidana ^_^...

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

I'll see what I can find, MFM ...