Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just installed the update, and the DIM didn;t complain, I believe it does it all for you.

I had to do the EULA thing this morning too, but I imagined that it ws to do with changes which have been made to it. Any time a change is made to the EULA (seldom I hope) you will need to accept it again I think.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

namrettek said:
    I just started up DIM again today and it said I needed to agree to the terms... I just did that the other day.

Is this going to ask me to agree to terms every day?

Anyone else have that happen?

Only when the EULA changes. The bit about not agreeing and having to delete things was removed.
    edited February 2013

namrettek said:
    But on a positve note - I just got an update notification - that is very cool.

Do you have to uninstall the old file first?

If you let Install Manager install it, so install manager knows where it is, then you don't have to do anything but check the box and push the button. Install manager will remove the old one and replace it with the new one.

One other point, unless you tell Install manager to do something else, updates, by default, do this where Install Manager actually installed it to, regardless of the current directory selected. So if you split your content directory into 10 different places and have 20 updates scattered through those directories, Install Manager removes the old files and puts the new files into the same places it removed them from.

So like I said previously, the less manual work you do initially, the less manual work you have to do later. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answers.

I am excited about Daz Studio again. I haven't even used it for three months. After I switched out my hard drive for an SSD I had no desire to reinstall all my content - but this was TOOO easy.

Great job Daz!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Kerwin's Tobias is missing from the downloads in the DIM.

Also, when will that and the G4-F4 shapes as well as Fantasy Shapes for Genesis by RawArt be available for download through DIM?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Please submit a bug report

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited December 1969

namrettek said:
    But on a positve note - I just got an update notification - that is very cool.

Do you have to uninstall the old file first?

No, it will auto uninstall the current version.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Sorry, need to leave now for a doctors appointment.... perhaps someone will do that.

edited December 1969

I'll take a look and see if someone has already did it

edited December 1969

Expect to see the F4-G4 for Genesis later Today. Need bug reports for others, please.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Also, when will that and the G4-F4 shapes as well as Fantasy Shapes for Genesis by RawArt be available for download through DIM?

There is one already for G4 and F4 shapes for Genesis - ID 0049251

Cheers,

Cliff

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited February 2013

After my fresh start and a complete installation of all products I am now at the point were I have almost recreated my whole runtime.

Now what I want to do is to just keep track of updates and only see the new items that are added to the DIM.

- - -

How to keep track of updates and only see the new items that are added to the DIM:

- In the "ready to download" pane just put a checkmark next to" products" to select all products.
    - rightclick on any file and select "Hide file" / "All selected"

The next day or after your next shoping caused by all the great DAZ sales going on you will just see the items newly added to the DIM and your new purchased items.

- - -

The items that you are not planning on installing are now hidden.

If you want to search your hidden files just put a checkmark on "Display Hidden" to toggle them on or off again.

- - -

What I really enjoy about the DIM is that each day I now figure out new ways how it helps me do things easier than before.

- - -

Added a screenshot so you can see how that looks like.

The Ultimate Dynamic Tee is ready in DIM now. Thank you a lot!

show_the_latest_updates.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 236K
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but what about the need to keep the downloaded .zip &.dsx files in the download folder? I could have sworn that I ready, early on in the thread, that you absolutely had to keep both (?) files in the original download folder, or else the DIM could not keep track of what needed to be updated or not. But since then, I think I've seen references to the fact that it's OK to either move or delete all the downloaded zips & dsx's??

edited December 1969

No you can get rid of them

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

One more question - is it possible to change the settings and download additional file types of items we have already downloaded and installed? I.e. If you, for example, change your mind and want to include the DSON files but you didn't include them in your original download? I'd hate to have to download all the files again rather than just the DSON files.

In that scenario, would we have to change our settings to ONLY include DSON files for those we already downloaded? And then change back to include all file types after we downloaded the DSON files.

I would think that could get rather cumbersome. We'd have to make a copy of the listing showing all the files downloaded to-date (excluding the DSON) against all files ready for download.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

You can change your app filters and see new downloads, but it doesn't match to what you've already downloaded, it matches as to what has not been downloaded for the new format.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Frank0314 said:

One more question - is it possible to change the settings and download additional file types of items we have already downloaded and installed? I.e. If you, for example, change your mind and want to include the DSON files but you didn't include them in your original download? I'd hate to have to download all the files again rather than just the DSON files.

In that scenario, would we have to change our settings to ONLY include DSON files for those we already downloaded? And then change back to include all file types after we downloaded the DSON files.

I would think that could get rather cumbersome. We'd have to make a copy of the listing showing all the files downloaded to-date (excluding the DSON) against all files ready for download.

yes you can do just that under download filters .

• Aneet ProductionsAneet Productions Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I just want to say. Thank you DAZ!!!! I love this. I have it installed and absolutely loving it. It is everything I could hope for and more.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Bug reports

RAWN's Fantasy Shapes: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=49261

Tobias: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=49260

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has already been covered. This thread is getting huge and really hard to keep track of.

My original problem with DAZ Content Library was that it was practically impossible to figure out how to properly organize my 3rd Party content so that it would be sortable in the fashion of the Smart Content Panel. So basically I am hoping that DIM is my chance to start over and redo things better this time (hopefully fixing my crashing problems in the process).

So, I have installed DIM and just finished downloading all my latest products. Before I set my install path and create a new library I wanted to get some advice on how to best handle all of my original 3rd Party Runtimes. I just backed up my entire original Studio/My Library to an external drive just in case.

Can anyone elaborate on the best process, workflow to start from scratch. Should I remove everything and then start clean? IE - wipe out the DB first?

Thanks.

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

I'll have to say that the download manager is very cool and I greatly prefer it over the installers. The only thing that's missing is that it seems to have some of the very old stuff and the new stuff but not much in the middle (like V3 content). I'm sure that will come together over time though.

edited December 1969

They are still working on a lot of stuff

edited December 1969

Well after all the time and trouble to get the new Content area set up and installed to I then had second thoughts about going through all the folders in the old "My Library" and hunting down textures, data and other files that would double things up. So I uninstalled it all via the DIM and am now installing to the old "My Library" folder. All I'll do to update things there is to get rid of all the old Genesis files under People Genesis and a few shaders in the Shader presets folder. Seems like a better choice. I'll do all that through DAZ Studio moving stuff.

My question about this is can I tell it to overwrite a folder from within DAZ Studio or is that not possible?? I'm not even going to invoke DS until I get everything installed so thought I'd ask here about what's possible from within DS and what's not possible.

Thanks

• morriscoxmorriscox Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    morriscox said:
    Does putting a + in the email address mess things up? Gmail allows you to use a + in order to create an automatic filter.

Unless you have another DAZ account, the name may be the thing tripping it up. I assumed this was the name of the account.

I used "Main" (without the quotes) for the name of the account, since I didn't really know what to put in that field and figured it just wanted an identifer.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    My question about this is can I tell it to overwrite a folder from within DAZ Studio or is that not possible?? I'm not even going to invoke DS until I get everything installed so thought I'd ask here about what's possible from within DS and what's not possible.

Thanks

The DIM will overwrite everything by default. What you may end up with is a few duplicates (I did). What I did for those was browse to each folder, compare file dates, and delete the older one leaving me (presumably) with the one DIM created.
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Frank0314 said:

yes you can do just that under download filters .

I would think the simplest would be to continue downloading everything and then after it's all done, reset the Settings to include the DSON files, and then do a filter on just the DSON files - yes?

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Classic Deco by Jack Tomalin, despite this item being new and having Poser installers the item doesn't show up in the Install Manager when ds is unchecked, I really don't want all the extra ds files in a poser runtime. Will there be separate zips for each software and platform or will it all be dumped into just one zip

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    RAMWolff said:

Thanks

The DIM will overwrite everything by default. What you may end up with is a few duplicates (I did). What I did for those was browse to each folder, compare file dates, and delete the older one leaving me (presumably) with the one DIM created.

Thanks so much Adam. Yea, I have the clothing separated by folders, as stated in previous posts as well as characters so I KNOW exactly which folders to do away with. I know also to move things from within DAZ Studio so I retain the meta data but one of my questions was can I move entire folders or just the files within the folders??

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

After my fresh start and a complete installation of all products I am now at the point were I have almost recreated my whole runtime.

Now what I want to do is to just keep track of updates and only see the new items that are added to the DIM.

- - -

How to keep track of updates and only see the new items that are added to the DIM:

- In the "ready to download" pane just put a checkmark next to" products" to select all products.
    - rightclick on any file and select "Hide file" / "All selected"

The next day or after your next shoping caused by all the great DAZ sales going on you will just see the items newly added to the DIM and your new purchased items.

- - -

The items that you are not planning on installing are now hidden.

If you want to search your hidden files just put a checkmark on "Display Hidden" to toggle them on or off again.

- - -

What I really enjoy about the DIM is that each day I now figure out new ways how it helps me do things easier than before.

- - -

Added a screenshot so you can see how that looks like.

The Ultimate Dynamic Tee is ready in DIM now. Thank you a lot!

Most of my new purchases show up within 5 minutes.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited February 2013

Question:

How do you hide more than one file at a time?

I have selected 275 PoserCF files in my downloads and want to hide them. I can only, as far as I can tell, hide them one by one. I never need to download these.

Edit: Figured out I don't need to for these...I think I can do this through filters. But I'd still like to know if it's possible.

Post edited by Spit on