Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

By now, I am probably making a royal nuisance of myself with my categories questions. But can someone who has already successfully downloaded and installed content please describe how you handled categorization - provided you use it, of course.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    (glad that's been fixed, for a while it was way down to 250KB/sec yuk!)

"Way down" to twice the best speed I ever get. And compared to dial-up users, I have it good.

I feel for you. But for me it was way down, more than four times slower! And consider, on some sites when I make a purchase the speed has been twice what I am getting here. So you can imagine how painful that was. And actually, on a few occasions it did drop down to 125KB/sec. :bug:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Does the USPS handle your Internet packets? :bug:

Dana

Hehe :P Nah, this stupid town won't even update the phone lines to support 56k connections. I'm stuck connecting at 24k. We are completely ignored out here :(

Is it worth it? Is it a really nice area? I hope so. It must be!

Dana

It depends, I guess.. It is a nice area. I'm over 20 miles from town, the closest neighbor is nearly 1/4 mile down the road, lots of wild life (small elk herds come right up to the house and we have some "adopted" raccoon "pets" that act just like the cat and wait at the door for food most nights lol) and not really any restrictions so we can do pretty much what we want without neighbor complaints or problems with the town (build what we want where we want, no animals on leashes, no restrictions on what kind of animals we can have, no complains about firing weapons off or blaring loud music, etc).

The downsides though that I'm still stuck in a position where I'm forced to live at home... It's over 20 miles to town and I have no license and don't know how to drive still so I'm stuck here 24/7 almost all year long and only get a ride to town once a month on average because everybody else works full time. We have nasty dialup and 1 tv channel so I'm always bored out of my mind half the time. It is a nice area, but from my point of view I'm sort of sick and tired of being in this area. LoL

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

"Way down" to twice the best speed I ever get. And compared to dial-up users, I have it good.

I feel for you. But for me it was way down, more than four times slower! And consider, on some sites when I make a purchase the speed has been twice what I am getting here. So you can imagine how painful that was. And actually, on a few occasions it did drop down to 125KB/sec. :bug:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Dana

Hehe :P Nah, this stupid town won't even update the phone lines to support 56k connections. I'm stuck connecting at 24k. We are completely ignored out here :(

Dana

I know you weren't addressing me, but I feel compelled to answer anyway.
    Paycheck? Lousy.
    Internet? Better than most places this far from civilization, but still lousy.
    Location? People around the world dream of coming here once in their life.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2013

Well, I'm attempting to use this to at least download zip versions of things,

I think I've figured out a way to use it for this purpose at least.

There are at this point so many threads and so many pages that I just can't find the answer to what I'm wondering. Clearly there are TONS of products that are not yet in zip format (There's virtually no Gen 2 or 3 items there), so they are not showing up in the DIM
    How are those going to be integrated into things? Will they just automatically show up in the "ready to download' when the download zips are created???

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Dana

Dana

Paycheck? Lousy.

OK - I give up. Where in the world do you guys live? Sounds marvelous! Especially the part about elk & pet racoons. We just have pet deer here in Montana.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

It depends, I guess.. It is a nice area. I'm over 20 miles from town, the closest neighbor is nearly 1/4 mile down the road, lots of wild life (small elk herds come right up to the house and we have some "adopted" raccoon "pets" that act just like the cat and wait at the door for food most nights lol) and not really any restrictions so we can do pretty much what we want without neighbor complaints or problems with the town (build what we want where we want, no animals on leashes, no restrictions on what kind of animals we can have, no complains about firing weapons off or blaring loud music, etc).

The downsides though that I'm still stuck in a position where I'm forced to live at home... It's over 20 miles to town and I have no license and don't know how to drive still so I'm stuck here 24/7 almost all year long and only get a ride to town once a month on average because everybody else works full time. We have nasty dialup and 1 tv channel so I'm always bored out of my mind half the time. It is a nice area, but from my point of view I'm sort of sick and tired of being in this area. LoL

Well, it sounds like it would be great if you had fast Internet, cable TV, a car and a license to drive. You can probably learn to drive easily. You'd have to work to get your own car. But you wouldn't be bored...just tired. :lol:

I guess you can't get pizza delivered. ;-P Sorry.

Dana

edited December 1969

Paycheck? Lousy.

Ummmm...Alaska? I really don't have a clue. Tell, tell!

Dana

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2013

Well, I'm attempting to use this to at least download zip versions of things, There are at this point so many threads and so many pages that I just can't find the answer to what I'm wondering. Clearly there are TONS of products that are not yet in zip format (There's virtually no Gen 2 or 3 items there), so they are not showing up in the DIM
    How are those going to be integrated into things? Will they just automatically show up in the "ready to download' when the download zips are created???

They said that at launch they had gotten almost everything back to the beginning of V4, something like 10000 products, and continuing on through the rest of the store's older content as fast as they can. They will just show up when they are ready.

editing to add the link to Spooky's quote on this:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/P270/#237982

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Paycheck? Lousy.

Dana

"I can see my house from here!"

Panorama.jpg
    1179 x 200 - 83K
    edited December 1969

I'm in south-west Washington.

I have my own car :P A fancy little '97 Firebird :D My brother gave it to me 2 years ago for my birthday.... just don't have any help with driving to get my license -_- LoL

LoL No pizza for me either way. I have deadly allergies to dairy :P I "could" have it, but it would be my last one I ever had :P LoL

I have the link for the download now and I can use my download manager to pause/resume, yay! The downside is it's going to be a 3hr download for me and the download keeps dropping about every minute so I'm only 3mb into it. There's no way I can finish it tonight... at least the manager saves my progress so I can continue it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can get it most of the way done tonight though. I don't know if I'll use the program full time or not though. If it doesn't drop the downloads like the website currently does for me it'll be a start, but I don't want to install with it -_- I like my current setup LoL

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Paycheck? Lousy.

Dana

Could that possibly be the Mogollon Rim in Arizona? Wherever it is, it is gorgeous country!

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm attempting to use this to at least download zip versions of things, There are at this point so many threads and so many pages that I just can't find the answer to what I'm wondering. Clearly there are TONS of products that are not yet in zip format (There's virtually no Gen 2 or 3 items there), so they are not showing up in the DIM

They said that at launch they had gotten almost everything back to the beginning of V4, something like 10000 products, and continuing on through the rest of the store's older content as fast as they can. They will just show up when they are ready.

editing to add the link to Spooky's quote on this:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/P270/#237982

Thanks - I guess it's just a matter of waiting, then.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited February 2013

Okay, so I can't test Metadata/categories yet, since all of the Gen 3 stuff that I have that's been converted doesn't have Smart Content yet.

I was kinda expecting that.

Installed into the existing Millennium 3 directory for the most part just fine, and installation certainly went faster than the installers. Outside of the Batch feature, not sure if it really would be faster without. Didn't do any categorization, but the categorization that had been done with previous installs was untouched. (As I said, though, none of it had Metadata, so I wasn't expecting it to have a conflict.)

A couple of the installers created a "content" folder and put the Runtime files in there, when my Millennium 3 runtime is currently directly in the Millennium 3 directory (since otherwise it gets labeled "content" and not "Millennium 3"). So that's something I need to fix. Should I submit a bug report on those products?

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

It seems most files are downloaded faster than I am able to click Ctrl C, Ctrl A and Ctrl V

I'm really enjoying being able to download more than one file at a time. I always hated buying bundles and having to sit there and click one to download, and then sit there and wait until it's finished to go on to the next one, and so on, and so on, and so forth. It's nice that I now can select a number of files and start the downloading and go make dinner, or whatever, and come back and have them all downloaded. Now THAT's a huge improvement, and something to grin about. :coolsmile:
  • ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited February 2013

I love this! It's worth using even if all you plan to use it for is downloading. I agree with a lot of the others, it's amazingly fast.

I do my own categorizing so I download to the new location, rearrange the folders and then drag them to my existing My Library folder. I have shortcuts on my desktop for My Library and the My DAZ 3D Library, so it's a smple drag and drop.

Tastiger said:
    bigh said:

you can use C D F G - where ever you want .

Not Really - I can't install the DIM where I like - it has no options to install to any other drive than C

Just drag or copy the DAZ3DIM1 folder wherever you want and delete the one in your Program Files. I have mine on my I Drive.

Coldrake

Post edited by Coldrake on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    By now, I am probably making a royal nuisance of myself with my categories questions. But can someone who has already successfully downloaded and installed content please describe how you handled categorization - provided you use it, of course.

I have finished updating the preparation thread here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16216/

Maybe you will find some useful information that works for you.

To keep custom categorizations I made when reinstalling the runtime I am currently trying this:

Preparation:
    I made a backup of all CMS databases
    I manually exported all my customized "User Product Data" .dsa and .dsx files from the "Product Library" "Content DB Editor" to /runtime/support and made a backup.

Reinstallation:
    I deceided to completly wipe all data in all DAZ folders and make a clean installation.
    I installed DS 4.5 first.
    Then I installed the DIM and set up the new paths.
    Now I am in the process of downloading and installing all products with the DIM that I had installed before.
    This step is incredibly fast now.
    (I have set up a list of all products I had installed)

After that it is done I will try out two methods:

Option I
    stop the CMS
    place the databases backup in the folder again
    start CMS
    start DS4.5
    done.

Option II
    add all my backup "User Product Data" .dsx files to the DS4.5 start up queue and mass process them
    check /categories/default/unassigned if any files are left unassigned.
    add the product .dsx files that were skipped to the queue again
    repeat until all are processed.
    done.

- - -

Option I may certainly be faster but you have less control which files are included in the databases.
    With Option II you get to deceide for each product if you want to add the "User Product Data" you created / customized or if you want to use an updated new version of the official DAZ metadata.

If you have not updated your DAZ content in a very long time I suggest you give the official DAZ metadata a try. Especially the V5 / M5 and all other pro bundles and all DSON products feature a new categorization system that offers a lot of new ways how to look at and search your content.

- - -

Sorry. Was not able to keep that shorter. For the very long version please check the linked thread.
    I will post over there how everything turned out and if any of the two versions yield any unexpected problems.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm giving it a shot. Needs to download 1556 products. Who knew I bought so much stuff :lol:

Since I've been reading the posts in the thread, it has already installed 44 items at 1.8MB/s.

One question, If I'm downloading Gen 4 or Genesis characters, do I need to install the base characters first? or can I just get stuff in Alphabetical order?

I am impressed with the speed, Got 10 more installed as I typed.

Thanks,

ncamp

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

After 4 hrs I have 748 items downloaded with 813 more to go.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Paycheck? Lousy.

Dana

Nice!

Dana

• gishzidagishzida Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Alas... I'm not a DS user... This application was apparently was designed for DS users rather than Poser Pro 2012 Users... There is no documentation for Poser users that I can find. So does it work with Poser? If not, why not?

FAIL!

There does not appear to be an install option for Poser.

FAIL!

The installer assumes that All applications are installed on C Drive with no option to change installation location. I have 3 drives and no applications are installed on C drive except this one.

FAIL!

My Account "Itemized History" shows 2576 items but the DL Manager only counts 2078. Why the difference? No explanation from the App. What am I missing? Or am I missing anything? I know I have duplicates but nearly 500? An explanation would have been helpful

Fail!

Should I have waited for version 3.0?

And don't tell me I should open a support ticket... Your support ticket system is apparently broken badly-- I still have a ticket from last year on the broken My Accounts Itemized list that was never addressed.... This is the answer? Well it is an answer... but not a working one...

Alas... I suppose it will be fixed DAZ soon... when there is once again a great outcry in the DAZ Force from the number of disappointed Poser users...

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

gishzida said:
    Alas... I'm not a DS user... This application was apparently was designed for DS users rather than Poser Pro 2012 Users... There is no documentation for Poser users that I can find. So does it work with Poser? If not, why not?

FAIL!

FAIL!

The installer assumes that All applications are installed on C Drive with no option to change installation location. I have 3 drives and no applications are installed on C drive except this one.

FAIL!

My Account "Itemized History" shows 2576 items but the DL Manager only counts 2078. Why the difference? No explanation from the App. What am I missing? Or am I missing anything? I know I have duplicates but nearly 500? An explanation would have been helpful

Fail!

Set download filter to Poser files in the ready to download tab
    Change Install directory in the ready to install tab
    All items are not ready for DIM they will show up later

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited February 2013

Well, remember that part of the point is that you don't have to do the unzipping. How much of a time suck it is will depend on how interventionist you are ...

Thanks for that word! I am an interventionist! Yes!
    LOL

Same here (C drive is only for O/S and Office) I don’t even like fact Windows uses .../Users/XXXXX/ appData as that gets huge very quickly

I created a symbolic link on C: and shoved those appdata folders, that get constantly written to (like DazStudio and Poser) to D:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
    Works great!

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Any PC members who have installed the program and had an error during installing and the program won't work, please see my post in the Member Forum. I don't know if I'm the only one or not. I wasted over 3 hours downloading the installer only to have it tell me it can't copy a file correctly :(

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

gishzida said:

FAIL!

NOT FAIL! :-) It works fine with Poser.

gishzida said:

FAIL!

NOT FAIL! :-) There is an install option for Poser.

gishzida said:

FAIL!

NOT FAIL! :-) You can put it anywhere you want, mine is on my I Drive.

Fail!

Not Fail! :-) Pre V4 items haven't been converted yet.

Should I have waited for version 3.0?

And don't tell me I should open a support ticket... Your support ticket system is apparently broken badly-- I still have a ticket from last year on the broken My Accounts Itemized list that was never addressed.... This is the answer? Well it is an answer... but not a working one...

Alas... I suppose it will be fixed DAZ soon... when there is once again a great outcry in the DAZ Force from the number of disappointed Poser users...

No need to open a support ticket, nothing to fix. No outcry from Poser users because it works fine with Poser.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

I have finished updating the preparation thread here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16216/

Maybe you will find some useful information that works for you.

To keep custom categorizations I made when reinstalling the runtime I am currently trying this:

Preparation:
    I made a backup of all CMS databases
    I manually exported all my customized "User Product Data" .dsa and .dsx files from the "Product Library" "Content DB Editor" to /runtime/support and made a backup.

Reinstallation:
    I deceided to completly wipe all data in all DAZ folders and make a clean installation.
    I installed DS 4.5 first.
    Then I installed the DIM and set up the new paths.
    Now I am in the process of downloading and installing all products with the DIM that I had installed before.
    This step is incredibly fast now.
    (I have set up a list of all products I had installed)

After that it is done I will try out two methods:

Option I
    stop the CMS
    place the databases backup in the folder again
    start CMS
    start DS4.5
    done.

Option II
    add all my backup "User Product Data" .dsx files to the DS4.5 start up queue and mass process them
    check /categories/default/unassigned if any files are left unassigned.
    add the product .dsx files that were skipped to the queue again
    repeat until all are processed.
    done.

- - -

Option I may certainly be faster but you have less control which files are included in the databases.
    With Option II you get to deceide for each product if you want to add the "User Product Data" you created / customized or if you want to use an updated new version of the official DAZ metadata.

If you have not updated your DAZ content in a very long time I suggest you give the official DAZ metadata a try. Especially the V5 / M5 and all other pro bundles and all DSON products feature a new categorization system that offers a lot of new ways how to look at and search your content.

- - -

Sorry. Was not able to keep that shorter. For the very long version please check the linked thread.
    I will post over there how everything turned out and if any of the two versions yield any unexpected problems.

This is great information. Thanks, linvanchene!! I do have two questions, though. Option II - first sentence: "add all my backup “User Product Data” .dsx files to the DS4.5 start up queue and mass process them" - do you do that in the DIM? and Option II - third sentence: "add the product .dsx files that were skipped to the queue again?" Same question. Or do you do that inside Daz Studio via one of the Database editor options? I've got DIM installed but am kind of holding off using the DIM until I see what people are running in to.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:

This is great information. Thanks, linvanchene!! I do have two questions, though. Option II - first sentence: "add all my backup “User Product Data” .dsx files to the DS4.5 start up queue and mass process them" - do you do that in the DIM? and Option II - third sentence: "add the product .dsx files that were skipped to the queue again?" Same question. Or do you do that inside Daz Studio via one of the Database editor options? I've got DIM installed but am kind of holding off using the DIM until I see what people are running in to.

There are three ways I know of to manually trigger the .dsa and the .dsx "User Product Data" backup files you created to be processed:
    All are done with the help of DS4.5.

- - -

The very first step is that you place the .dsa and .dsx files you created in /runtime/support

Option 1 - file by file
    - Close DS4.5
    - Got to runtime/support and click on the .dsa file of the product that you want to process the metadata again
    - Open DS4.5 and confirm to process the metadata

Option 2 - multiple files at the same time
    - Close DS4.5
    - Go to runtime/support and copy all .dsa files of the products that you want to queue the metadata again
    - Got to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\RunOnce and place the .dsa flies there
    - Open DS4.5 and confirm to process the metadata

Option 3 Content DB Maintenance Import Metadata
    - In the content library tab go to Content DB Maintenance Import Metadata and check the files you want to process again

If you have not many products installed this may be the fastest way.
    If you have allready many products installed this will be the slowest because there is no search field and you have to scroll up and down

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

CJones posted on the previous page that you can get around the metadata insertion by stopping the CMS, running DIM, and the starting the CMS (there are stop and start shortcuts in Start>DAZ 3D|>Content Management Service on Windows, I think they are a bit harder to find on the Mac).

Thanks. That would have worked for me and will in the future.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, now I need to uninstall the CMS (and Studio) and wipe out My Library to start completely over (except for my saved scenes n stuff).

I can uninstall CMS okay. I can uninstall 4.5 by reininstalling Studio, right?

How do I re-install CMS or does installing 4.5 do that?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Yes, it does, if CMS has already been uninstalled. Your steps look correct to me.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    CJones posted on the previous page that you can get around the metadata insertion by stopping the CMS, running DIM, and the starting the CMS (there are stop and start shortcuts in Start>DAZ 3D|>Content Management Service on Windows, I think they are a bit harder to find on the Mac).

Thanks. That would have worked for me and will in the future.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, now I need to uninstall the CMS (and Studio) and wipe out My Library to start completely over (except for my saved scenes n stuff).

I can uninstall CMS okay. I can uninstall 4.5 by reininstalling Studio, right?

Be careful to backup your data folder!
    If you wipe it your old scenes will not open!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

A couple of the installers created a "content" folder and put the Runtime files in there, when my Millennium 3 runtime is currently directly in the Millennium 3 directory (since otherwise it gets labeled "content" and not "Millennium 3"). So that's something I need to fix. Should I submit a bug report on those products?

I meant to ask this earlier, when you were talking about how DS displays folder names, but which version are you using? The "error" (in my view) of showing the name of the parent folder for DS directories and of the folder itself for Poser directories was fixed in DS 3 sometime - now both types display the name of the selected folder. Of course the installer shouldn't be creating a Content folder in the destination directory, so that needs a bug report to the Content bug tracker.