Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Ok, without having to reread everything, in a nutshell, I will have to uninstall over 1000 items of content and then reinstall only on c: drive when all my stuff is now on d: drive?

Yeesh.

Only thing that has to install to C is the DIM application itself. Everything else can go back on D: (I'm downloading and installing to G), and uninstalling is optional (though reccomended for reasons of being able to uninstall going forward.)

I know I was pretty against it earlier, but since a couple of viable workarounds were found that allows me to not have to rebuild my runtimes, I'm feeling better. :)

Is there a quick way to uninstall and reinstall?

What'd I miss?

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Ok I installed the DIM last night and downloaded all of my stuff. And even tried a few freebies tonight. So far I love it because I've been broken into twice and all of my stuff stolen and just haven't had the heart to download and reinstall everything all over again. So what I had was about 1/2 of the old stuff installed along with what I've purchased lately.

So for ME, it works out well. I've been wanting to start from scratch anyway for some time.

So, I have all of Daz Content installed.

I know I need to:

A) Install Non-Daz content aka Rendo, Content Paradise, Freebies, etc (which I was going to do anyway). Would it be better to do another runtime for these types of items to keep them separate from the Daz stuff?

B) Since I'm going to start all over, Would it be better to uninstall Daz and then reinstall and hook up the new folder that way? Or just stay with what I have and reset the database after hooking up the new folder and taking out the old?

Just a note, I do not have any personal items installed, or done any presets, etc. I've created and saved everything as scenes only so I think I'm good as far as that goes.

I've only gone through about 1/2 of this thread so if questions are redundant I apologize. It's been a long day and my nephew's cancer has been wrecking my thought patterns lately. My concentration isn't good lol.

I'll tell you what I did just as an example. I am keeping my D|S 3.1.2.32 with all my Gen 3 and Gen 4 stuff. Basically, that's everything that is installed to C:\DAZ\Studio\Content. Then I also kept my D|S Pro 4.5.1.56 but I unmapped all my existing directories, including my Content directory, My Library as well as my Poser directories. Instead, I mapped my new C:\User\Public..... path. Then, I exported the user data I had installed via the DIM up to that point which was only the Genesis Starter Essential files. Then I reset the dabase, thereby wiping out all content. I closed D|S 4.5, opened it again, and re-imported my user data. From here on, I plan to install about 10 different items each time and categorize anew as I go along and only concentrate on Gen5 content. I 'm sure i will installi the Gen3 & 4 content into the C:\User\Public path as it becomes available and eliminate the old D|S 3 at some point.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,277
    edited December 1969

Installed and have it downloading to my USB external drive with no problem started at about 2:20 pm and have downloaded 1,558 files at just under 1 MB/s to 1.3 MB/s

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    RKane_1 said:
    Ok, without having to reread everything, in a nutshell, I will have to uninstall over 1000 items of content and then reinstall only on c: drive when all my stuff is now on d: drive?

Yeesh.

Only thing that has to install to C is the DIM application itself. Everything else can go back on D: (I'm downloading and installing to G), and uninstalling is optional (though reccomended for reasons of being able to uninstall going forward.)

I know I was pretty against it earlier, but since a couple of viable workarounds were found that allows me to not have to rebuild my runtimes, I'm feeling better. :)

Is there a quick way to uninstall and reinstall?

What'd I miss?

No real quick way to uninstall, though the DIM installs quickly, and the batch feature is a significant plus. However, due to some legacy content issues (and lots of poorly organized freebies), I'm still planning to install manually.

For right now, I'm downloading (still have 300 to go, started at 11 local time last night). Then I'm installing to a dummy Content Library in small groups, organizing it as I need to using my Windows File Manager, merging with the correct target Content Library, and deleting everything but the DIM added .ini file in the dummy library. Lather rinse repeat.

I won't be able to un-install using the DIM, and installing updates will require paying attention so I know what needs to be cleaned up, but the DIM will let me know about updates as actual updates, and not just something I forgot to install.

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited February 2013

>>>>I'll tell you what I did just as an example. I am keeping my D|S 3.1.2.32 with all my Gen 3 and Gen 4 stuff. Basically, that's everything that is installed to C:\DAZ\Studio\Content. Then I also kept my D|S Pro 4.5.1.56 but I unmapped all my existing directories, including my Content directory, My Library as well as my Poser directories. Instead, I mapped my new C:\User\Public..... path. Then, I exported the user data I had installed via the DIM up to that point which was only the Genesis Starter Essential files. Then I reset the dabase, thereby wiping out all content. I closed D|S 4.5, opened it again, and re-imported my user data. From here on, I plan to install about 10 different items each time and categorize anew as I go along and only concentrate on Gen5 content. I 'm sure i will installi the Gen3 & 4 content into the C:\User\Public path as it becomes available and eliminate the old D|S 3 at some point.

Sounds like a great plan to me! I don't have DS 3 any more. It kind of went out the door when my last computer was stolen so I only have Daz 4.5 installed and about 1/2 of the original stuff. And with the mood I'm in tonight I'm find with leaving everything installed the way it is and just switch over to the new C:\User\Public...folder. I think I will create a new place for all of the non-Daz stuff though to help keep it straight. I don't think that will mess anything up or at least I hope not. Like you, I'm concentrating mainly on Gen5 stuff. I haven't used the other figures in a while. I haven't started Categorizing anything up to this point. I really need to though because I spend more time searching, trying to remember how it was installed then it takes to render a pic. LOL.

Post edited by whispers65 on
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I sure wouldn't rely on this program at this point. The most recent thing I got a few days ago was the Urban Shabby Chic product

This SHOULD have
    Boho Chic
    Urban Fashion Trend
    Urban Shabby Chic for V4

When I originally got the exe products, all were there. I just went to DIM and the only part of it that's showing is Boho Chic.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,406
    edited December 1969

They have stated a few different times that all the products haven't been converted yet

• rainwebsrainwebs Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Will there be filters to select models separately, like V4, M4, Genesis? I'm still a fan of managing models in separate runtimes. Seems to me that the current application filters (DAZStudio, Poser) don't work well. Found DS files with a pure Poser filtering.

edited December 1969

rainwebs said:
    Will there be filters to select models separately, like V4, M4, Genesis? I'm still a fan of managing models in separate runtimes. Seems to me that the current application filters (DAZStudio, Poser) don't work well. Found DS files with a pure Poser filtering.

It might be possible with advanced filtering. I looked at the on-line docs for it, but it was late, and I was tired, so I didn't follow all that well.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering

I'm going to go with by guess and by golly.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    They have stated a few different times that all the products haven't been converted yet

Yes, but I thought that what was said is that V4 items were all converted, and these are all for V4...

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,439
    edited December 1969

Having used the Install Manager for a while on a less-than-fast, less-than-perfectly-reliable connection, there are a couple of changes I'd like to see.

1. The ability to resume failed downloads, rather than starting from scratch.
    2. The ability to add files (such as failed downloads) to the start of the download queue, rather than only being able to put them at the end. Alternatively, the ability to designate some files in the queue as high-priority.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,337
    edited December 1969

Sever stress test info:

During the afternoon DIM download speed was up at 4-5MB/s
    In the last 2 hours it dropped down to 250-350 kb/s

Seems the next batch of e-mails went out...
    Welcome to DIM ;-)

edited December 1969

Sever stress test info:

Welcome to DIM ;-)

I've been fairly consistently at 1.3 MB/s since I started last night. I don't know what it was doing at 3 in the morning, obviously... :)

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    VoltisArt said:
    [
    Yep. This needs to be changed, unless we're all supposed to learn the symbolic links trick. It's always irksome for a program to assume it knows better than all users, when that program has no need to imbed itself as part of the OS. (Such imbedding being the only good reason to require installing on the system drive.)

I think for clarity it should be mentioned the inherent dangers in having everything on "C" drive. As some people don't seem to get what we are talking about or why it should worry us.
    (if you only have a "C" drive then of course this won't apply)

An example is the best way to get our point across - about 2 weeks ago my Windows 8 upgrade went ca ca and as a result I ended up having to do a fresh install of Windows. Now if had my 191 GB of Poser Runtimes and 12 GB D|S files on "C" drive rather than safely tucked away on "I" drive - I would no doubt still be reinstalling all my content - but as it was I only had to reinstall the actual programs not the content.

Download of content and installation of content are not limited to C:

At release we did not allow for an alternative installation path for the application because of a problem with allowing it on the Mac. We are, and have been, looking at ways to address this.

So does this mean that I can not use the Install Manager properly yet? I am running on MAC and have all of my content (Studio/My Library) on external drive. Based on all the documentation I have read, it appears that you need to install everything to a Shared folder on C. This is really not ideal for me. Furthermore, what happens to all of my 3rd party installs residing in Runtime folder?

Thanks.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

I'm really dismayed that another new DAZ product has so many questions and problems associated with it. I only read the first 10 pages in the thread - but come on! Stop innovating already. It's too much to keep up with. It's information/problem overload. I don't want to go through this any more. 500 questions, 500 problems, 500 fixes. When it works without problems for everyone, let me know.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,090
    edited December 1969

At release we did not allow for an alternative installation path for the application because of a problem with allowing it on the Mac. We are, and have been, looking at ways to address this.

I imagine the DIM was written in C++. I haven't done anything in that since 1991, but I do know there is a library that has functions to determine what OS we're running on. From there, it's a simple If...Else. If Mac, restrict install drive, else offer a list of available drives for installation. This should not have been an after thought, if it was known going in that Mac had restrictions.

Dana

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    So does this mean that I can not use the Install Manager properly yet? I am running on MAC and have all of my content (Studio/My Library) on external drive. Based on all the documentation I have read, it appears that you need to install everything to a Shared folder on C. This is really not ideal for me. Furthermore, what happens to all of my 3rd party installs residing in Runtime folder?

Thanks.

The program installs to your system drive. At the moment there is no way to change this. You shouldn't have problems using the program the way it is. (The installer was designed to conform to Mac requirements, according to Spooky's post.)

The content is set to install on the system drive by default. This is easy to change. You can also very easily install to a new folder and arrange content whatever way you see fit, just like you would arrange freebies and products from other sites.

Nothing happens to any of your existing content unless it's DAZ content that gets updated by a new install.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:

So does this mean that I can not use the Install Manager properly yet?

No.

Geminii23 said:
    I am running on MAC and have all of my content (Studio/My Library) on external drive. Based on all the documentation I have read, it appears that you need to install everything to a Shared folder on C.

You can install your content anywhere you want.

I'm really dismayed that another new DAZ product has so many questions and problems associated with it. I only read the first 10 pages in the thread

You should read further.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    I'm really dismayed that another new DAZ product has so many questions and problems associated with it. I only read the first 10 pages in the thread - but come on! Stop innovating already. It's too much to keep up with. It's information/problem overload. I don't want to go through this any more. 500 questions, 500 problems, 500 fixes. When it works without problems for everyone, let me know.

The questions are due mostly to people being reactionary and not being willing to try something before getting upset about it. Those who are using the software and are willing to look at really simple options are not having significant problems. It's not for everybody, but it's definitely pretty awesome for most of us.

It's so much easier to use than almost any graphic program this side of MS Paint...but will remain an enigma to those who don't try it.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited February 2013

You can install your content anywhere you want.]

Can you elaborate on this?

I watched a YouTube video on how to set the install path and read through the doc and it appears that I need to install everything in this shared folder and create links within DAZ. So does that mean I can only have DAZ original content installed in one place but then have my existing content and third party stuff still sitting out on my external drive? Should I be uninstalling all my previous content from the old location first then?

Post edited by Geminii23 on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,277
    edited December 1969

Sever stress test info:

Welcome to DIM ;-)

Have seen mine drop all the way down 119 kb/s then go up to 300 kb/s
    It 's fluctuating up and down in this range
    Earlier I was at 1.3 MB/s
  • TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    [

Thanks.

Well that is what the DIM would like you to do - if the mac version is the same in functionality as the Windows animal you can choose where to install the files after downloading.

As for your other content - well it's not DAZ so we are left out in the cold there and left up to our own devices on what happens with said content

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Yes, but I thought that what was said is that V4 items were all converted, and these are all for V4...
    Spooky said they had gotten most things going back to V4. He didn't really specify "all V4 items," but rather used the original V4 as a reference point.

I've been distracted by real life lately and that product name doesn't sound familiar. Is it particularly new? It's possible the item came near or right after the top of their working list and thus the team hasn't gotten back to it yet while they dig back through old items.

Gemini: I'm serious when I say how easy this thing is. Easy to install, easy to try. I didn't browse any of the videos, just downloaded and opened. Most of it is very straight-forward. The settings for download and installation locations are under the Download Filters button.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    You can install your content anywhere you want.]

Can you elaborate on this?

I watched a YouTube video on how to set the install path and read through the doc and it appears that I need to install everything in this shared folder and create links within DAZ. So does that mean I can only have DAZ original content installed in one place but then have my existing content and third party stuff still sitting out on my external drive? Should I be uninstalling all my previous content from the old location first then?

You can install your content to a new location by clicking the "Install To Where" button in the Ready to install tab.

Coldrake

RTI.jpg
    976 x 898 - 136K
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Frank0314 said:

Spooky said they had gotten most things going back to V4. He didn't really specify "all V4 items," but rather used the original V4 as a reference point.

I've been distracted by real life lately and that product name doesn't sound familiar. Is it particularly new? It's possible the item came near or right after the top of their working list and thus the team hasn't gotten back to it yet while they dig back through old items.

Can't recall when it came out. I just needed something to spend my PC coupon. on at the end of the month and it was on sale.

edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Frank0314 said:

Can't recall when it came out. I just needed something to spend my PC coupon. on at the end of the month and it was on sale.

I just logged in to download my latest purchases (no point in downloading them from the site when I'll just have to do it over again) and there were several older products (though post V4) that showed up in addition to the four products I'd just bought. (Including, amusingly enough, the Morphing Python which I didn't buy today because I already had him.)

So odds are the missing products are part of the backlog. (I have them too, and they're not showing up on my DIM either.)

edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    Fauvist said:

The questions are due mostly to people being reactionary and not being willing to try something before getting upset about it. Those who are using the software and are willing to look at really simple options are not having significant problems. It's not for everybody, but it's definitely pretty awesome for most of us.

It's so much easier to use than almost any graphic program this side of MS Paint...but will remain an enigma to those who don't try it.

In my defense, the source of my freak-out was the idea that I'd have to re-build my runtimes to take advantage of the DIM, and the difficulties I had getting a clear answer to that. But I will admit that I over-reacted.

I don't think it's as great as the hype, but I don't think it's a waste of computer space either.

edited December 1969

Is there a way to figure out what version of the product you have any more? I see nothing that tells you this information that was part of the product name in the exes.

edited December 1969

Is there a way to figure out what version of the product you have any more? I see nothing that tells you this information that was part of the product name in the exes.

Unfortunately, no. All of the Zips are "up to date" but whether that means the version you already have or not, the only way to find that is to reset the product through the store (the Store won't switch to zips for a while, apparently) or else find where someone has complied it.

I haven't tested, but I'm going to guess that resetting in the store doesn't reset it for the DIM.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the answer - seems like a bit of a big oversight