Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

All right. I watched the "Have something that works?" video... which I found patronizing and condescending, by the way, since I'd think most users who have been at this a while know how to map their directories. (or maybe I'm just spoiled, since I've been playing with computers since Mainframes were the only option. Okay, I was 5 and my dad couldn't get a sitter on short notice and it was a dummy account, but still.) I downloaded and installed the DIM (after spending a few seconds grumbling about not being given a choice where to install it. I have a drive specifically for all of my graphics related stuff, and C isn't it.) Signed in, connected to my account and...

Ho-ly crap.

I knew I had a lot of stuff, but...

4363 downloads. Pulling Poser files only drops it to 3680

Is it any wonder I'm so resistant to the idea of rebuilding my runtimes? Even working with the content manager, that's days of work getting it all organized into categories that work for me, not to mention clean up for things that don't install "right" (by my definition of "right").

Do you have a link for this video? I can't find it on youtube.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    All right. I watched the "Have something that works?" video... which I found patronizing and condescending, by the way, since I'd think most users who have been at this a while know how to map their directories.

I downloaded and installed the DIM (after spending a few seconds grumbling about not being given a choice where to install it. I have a drive specifically for all of my graphics related stuff, and C isn't it.)

Same here (C drive is only for O/S and Office) I don't even like fact Windows uses .../Users/XXXXX/ appData as that gets huge very quickly - I simply hate being told where to put things and I'd like to think that after 15 years I have a reasonably well organized system for categorizing my 3D related purchases.

So not for me but good luck to anyone who finds it useful

you can use C D F G - where ever you want .

• TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited February 2013

bigh said:

you can use C D F G - where ever you want .

Not Really - I can't install the DIM where I like - it has no options to install to any other drive than C

Post edited by Tastiger on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    How about Daz Studio itself? Will the DIM install that, or should I use the .exe file I've already downloaded? And is DIM for other Daz products such as Bryce?

Not yet, tjohn. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I accepted the defaults (C:Public), and pointed my Content Manager to it. Signed in and let it rip. The zips are smaller than the exes and this sucker IS fast. I still have my library on my F drive which will contain my non-DAZ products.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    tjohn said:
    How about Daz Studio itself? Will the DIM install that, or should I use the .exe file I've already downloaded? And is DIM for other Daz products such as Bryce?

Not yet, tjohn. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I accepted the defaults (C:Public), and pointed my Content Manager to it. Signed in and let it rip. The zips are smaller than the exes and this sucker IS fast. I still have my library on my F drive which will contain my non-DAZ products.
    Thanks, Annie. Good to know I won't have to dump everything.

edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    All right. I watched the "Have something that works?" video....

I got to it by clicking the "start here now" button at the bottom of my email.

Link removed by Administrator

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I've just run through one of the helper videos.

SPEAK UP, I CAN HARDLY HEAR YOU!!!

And that's with every system volume control I can find turned up to eleven. Doesn't help that the auto YouTube captions keep talking about the "insult haitian" where DIM puts all the downloaded .zip files. Sorry, but some US accents just don't play nice with my not-too-great hearing — this is why I'll have to add my semaphore flags to the "can't use video tutorials" squad.

And from what I've seen of the tutorials, nothing I've said upthread is invalidated. I won't be using this initial version. I might use DIM just as a download/update manager if some of the suggestions in this thread are added to later versions.

I'll probably never use it for installation because it just plain does not work the way I do.

Trying to force the issue will not change my mind — remember how many people were driven away, not updating, or are still, after all this time, struggling with the major changes to the User Interface with D|S4 and 4.5? Change for the better is good, and I agree this could be a great thing for new users without a huge existing content library, and people who can use the CMS/Smart Content. Change for the "ooh, shiny!" might be good; I'll wait and see.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    tjohn said:

How about the question about Daz Studio itself? Will DIM install that since it too has updates or should we keep the existing copy on our harddrive?

edited February 2013

AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Sorry but my email only contains links to the existing three videos that have been up for a couple of days - not the "Have something that work" video. I'd really like to watch it.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

I read the documentation and I downloaded and installed three products. It's not a product I can't live without yet.

If you plan to auto install after download and you added a different install location, it wasn't obvious that after selecting the files to download, you have to switch to the Ready to Install tab to select the install location. I assumed after adding a different install location, it would be the default. Silly me. Thinking an application could read my mind.

It also was not obvious to me you can remove the default Install location.

Fortunately, you can find where it installed the products by clicking on the installed product and displaying the Installation Details. Uninstalling is rather quick and painless. Good thing, because I had to uninstall the first two products I downloaded and installed.

Downloading Experience

Yes. Installing is fast. Download speed was no different. Since I already use Taosoft's Download Manager, the DAZ Install Manager saved me no time on downloading. (Not that I expected it to)

However, there are no options to customize where you want to download your files beyond saying ... install to this folder. I'm spoiled on Taosoft's options because I can not only select the root folder, but also specify the files be put into a Product Folder within an Order No folder. This way, when I download a batch of files, they are automatically grouped by Order and Product rather than being clumped together in a single folder. That saves me a lot of cleanup after downloading my files.

This also matches my 3D Purchases spreadsheet as it also lists the Download location for every product installer/zip (in addition to the Runtime/Category where the product is installed). So, if I need to reinstall something, I can quickly check my 3D Purchases spreadsheet and just as quickly find the installer/zip file.

If I've read the responses correctly, moving the downloaded files into my organizational system would confuse the install manager. I suppose each month I could change the download location, so that at least they are saved to the year and month of the order. I already do that each month with Taosoft's downloader. But it's not very feasible to change the download location for each Order No, and even more ridiculous to change the location for each product and then download each product separately. /cough

That makes the install manager much less attractive to me than what I currently use.

Installation Experience

I store my content in one of several Runtimes.

Character, clothing, and Accessories products are installed in a Figure Runtime.
    Nature products (plants and organic scenery) are installed in a Nature Runtime.
    Structural (Buildings and Furnishings, Vehicles, etc.) are installed in a Architecture Runtime.

Obviously, there isn't an easy way to tell the install manager to install products into the appropriate Runtime. As we've been reminded again and again, applications can't mind read.

So, it appears I have two choices. Always download only and install each product separately or in Runtime batches.
    Or only select those products that should be installed in the same Runtime and download and install them in a Runtime batch.

However, this still leaves the reorganization after installation. Too many product folders have cryptic names or are inconsistently named (character named one thing, poses named something else)

I also prefer not to have my content installed in Vendor folders, but by product type. As an example, DM products are always installed in a DM folder. I always move DM products into more appropriate (to me) folders. Temple products are moved to a Temple category, Interior products are moved to an Interior folder, etc. While I tend to remember DM products as being created by them, it's not at all uncommon for me to have no idea who created other products. It's far easier for me to find structural products based on the type of architecture I want. So if I want medieval buildings, I'll look under Town and Country, while if I want an interior scene, I'll look under Interior.

Exceptions are products like Jack's Curious and Parkside line of products and AntFarm's Never products. Where all the products fit a specific theme. So, for example,
    All Curious products are in Town and Country / A Curious World.
    All Parkside products are in Town and Country / Parkside Town.
    All Never products are in Town and Country / The AntFarm Never World.

Makes me happy, and that's what's important, right?!?

Trying to find a clothing product by vendor is impossible for me. Yet, I can fairly quickly find a clothing product for V4 or M4 based on whether it's armor, historical clothing, fantasy, futuristic, or even steampunk. THAT I can pretty much remember.

Since install manager isn't any better than any other application at mind reading, I have no problem with being responsible for organizing and maintaining my content. However, if I move my content after installation, it's going to give the install manager conniption fits, right?

Or will it be ok to install to a temp Runtime location, then move the content where I want it?

While we can download and install products manually, is it possible to download manually, then use the install manager to install? (I rather doubt it, but have to ask)

If we can move content after installation, I could make the install piece work for me, but the the download piece is completely inefficient for me.

edited December 1969

I've just run through one of the helper videos.

SPEAK UP, I CAN HARDLY HEAR YOU!!!

And that's with every system volume control I can find turned up to eleven. Doesn't help that the auto YouTube captions keep talking about the "insult haitian" where DIM puts all the downloaded .zip files. Sorry, but some US accents just don't play nice with my not-too-great hearing — this is why I'll have to add my semaphore flags to the "can't use video tutorials" squad.

And from what I've seen of the tutorials, nothing I've said upthread is invalidated. I won't be using this initial version. I might use DIM just as a download/update manager if some of the suggestions in this thread are added to later versions.

I'll probably never use it for installation because it just plain does not work the way I do.

Trying to force the issue will not change my mind — remember how many people were driven away, not updating, or are still, after all this time, struggling with the major changes to the User Interface with D|S4 and 4.5? Change for the better is good, and I agree this could be a great thing for new users without a huge existing content library, and people who can use the CMS/Smart Content. Change for the "ooh, shiny!" might be good; I'll wait and see.

I hate YouTube tutorials too. What I can hear doesn't make sense. I have noticed that each time I replay the videos, the speech gets better. I get a kick out of running the videos with captioning, same as I do watching/listening to closed captioning news and sports. I love the ease and speed of DIM and are sorry that it won't benefit you. I've only been using DAZ for 18 months and really wish it had been available when I first started. I redid my content library at least 4 times the first month.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Sorry but my email only contains links to the existing three videos that have been up for a couple of days - not the "Have something that work" video. I'd really like to watch it.

It's labled as "have a good thing going" not "have something that works". Sorry.

I haven't watched any of the videos previously, so I don't know if it's one that was up already or not.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

It wasn't blazing fast speeds for me either. It took more than four minutes to download just two files. But I'm in Philadelphia, and nothing much here works as it should. And thanks to Comcast, we're still without FiOS in my area.

Frank0314 said:
    You must have really slow internet then. I'm on my wireless laptop and just downloaded and install 38 in 4 minutes

My internet speed is about 10500 kbit/s, without any download limits. How much is yours? But I am in Europe, maybe that matters?

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I am finding the downloads faster, but not significantly so. I'm kinda thinking the better speed (at least for me) is only due to the lack of bulk from the installers.

It is a bit of a pain trying to sort out all of the Gen 3 downloads. (since I rarely use that runtime anymore, I figured it was the "safest" to test with.) I know most of the Gen 3 stuff isn't converted to Zips yet, but enough is to mess around with.

edited February 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

It's labled as "have a good thing going" not "have something that works". Sorry.

I haven't watched any of the videos previously, so I don't know if it's one that was up already or not.

OK - found it. Yes, it's one of the already existing ones - "Add to Current System" - but thanks! At least now I won't be looking for a new one.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    tgrtgr said:
    Just got it and I have only one comment: ooh ooh ooh :D

Yeah... I'm automatically downloading/installing 1450+ pieces of content, and doing some deep magic with it (multi-machine synchronization).

It installs CRAZY fast, and the thing a lot of folks don't realize is that the installers add about 12MB to the sizes. So, let's say you want to download and install 100 pose products (usually very small, around 150K). With the installers, that would be ~1.2G to download. With the DIM, it only needs to download 15M and it's done. And then the install, which is CRAZY fast...

Sure, there are some exceptions like 'Tank Tops and Undershirts Collection' which are 500+MB...you can't speed that up (although the install is still 'blink and you miss it' fast) but for everything I've run into it's much faster to use DIM than to download it straight.

I'm having fun with it, so far.

-- Morgan

Crazy fast because they're in zips. Zips are always fast...that's what I've been saying in here for a few years now. I'm glad they're finally on board!

Dana

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    You must have really slow internet then. I'm on my wireless laptop and just downloaded and install 38 in 4 minutes

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of unfortunate users who are still on dial-up or DSL (not much better than dial-up). I feel for them. I normally get 1 to 1.4 MB/sec downloading from here (glad that's been fixed, for a while it was way down to 250KB/sec yuk!)

Dana

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    tjohn said:

How about the question about Daz Studio itself? Will DIM install that since it too has updates or should we keep the existing copy on our harddrive?

Not yet, Mari-Anne. Applications and plug-ins aren't ready for the new system yet. It will be even better when they are, Wish I had DIM when I bought Carrarra,

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    tjohn said:

Not yet, Mari-Anne. Applications and plug-ins aren't ready for the new system yet. It will be even better when they are, Wish I had DIM when I bought Carrarra,

I'm not sure they will be. You have to run an installer for those, they can't be in a simple zip file. Applications are the exception to wanting zip files. They have to be installed, not simply moved into a folder, because they need to do things with the Windows Registry (file association setup, Start Menu additions and things like that).

Dana

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    (glad that's been fixed, for a while it was way down to 250KB/sec yuk!)

"Way down" to twice the best speed I ever get. And compared to dial-up users, I have it good.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Obviously the link I sent is only for the PC members who received their emails this afternoon. Did you receive one? If you did and you read down to the bottom of the email, there is a blue box that says "start here now". Clicking that takes you to a new page. Scroll down that and there are 3 choices under "Best Route to Take." The one on the right is "Have a good thing going?"

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

"Way down" to twice the best speed I ever get. And compared to dial-up users, I have it good.

I feel for you. But for me it was way down, more than four times slower! And consider, on some sites when I make a purchase the speed has been twice what I am getting here. So you can imagine how painful that was. And actually, on a few occasions it did drop down to 125KB/sec. :bug:

Dana

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Obviously the link I sent is only for the PC members who received their emails this afternoon. Did you receive one? If you did and you read down to the bottom of the email, there is a blue box that says "start here now". Clicking that takes you to a new page. Scroll down that and there are 3 choices under "Best Route to Take." The one on the right is "Have a good thing going?"

Does this mean the program is available for PC members now? I'm sure glad they are sending me my emails :( I never had problems not getting the emails until recently :( The last PC email I got was the "Keep it Classy" one last night (also got the Chinese New Year one last night too). Nothing since. I never got the email notifiying about changes to the PC either several days ago :(

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

I feel for you. But for me it was way down, more than four times slower! And consider, on some sites when I make a purchase the speed has been twice what I am getting here. So you can imagine how painful that was. And actually, on a few occasions it did drop down to 125KB/sec. :bug:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Yes, thank you, Annie! I got it and am happy now. As I mentioned above, it was a "known" video that was uploaded a couple of days ago.

edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Does the USPS handle your Internet packets? :bug:

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Dana

Hehe :P Nah, this stupid town won't even update the phone lines to support 56k connections. I'm stuck connecting at 24k. We are completely ignored out here :(

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Not sure, but I believe they said the emails were being sent out to PC members in batches, increasing to more members as they make sure the servers can handle us all drinking down our entire runtimes at the same time. The speed I'm currently getting is a bit slower than what I was seeing earlier, so it could be we are seeing some of the effects.

edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    atryeu said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

2.5k/sec here *cries*

Dana

Hehe :P Nah, this stupid town won't even update the phone lines to support 56k connections. I'm stuck connecting at 24k. We are completely ignored out here :(

Is it worth it? Is it a really nice area? I hope so. It must be!

Dana

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,330
    edited December 1969

Thank you DAZ!

Now that my initial workflow problems are sorted I am now happily downloading at 4.9MB/s.

I made a screenshot that show the DIM on the left and my old download organization system to the right in windows explorer.

Before DIM I was placing product store images in folders to know what I currently had installed on my system and what not.

Now I am in the process of just copy pasting product names over from windows explorer directly into the search field of the DIM and click download.
    I am trying to recreate my old runtime exactly. The old folder structure in windows explorer will have its last use as some sort of guideline which files to download.

It seems most files are downloaded faster than I am able to click Ctrl C, Ctrl A and Ctrl V

Thank you DAZ this is indeed a very cool new tool!

past_and_present.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 474K