Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I too want to know if the Install Manager works in Windows XP 32bit, since that´s the OS i have.

Atryeu and Proxima, I think Spooky said s/he uses XP so therefore it would work there.

Install manager does not have to download to the same place that your Browser does when you shop at those other stores. (In fact it would probably be better if it didn't.)

That has nothing at all to do with how things are installed after they are downloaded. Where you choose to put your CR2 files, or your PP2 files, DSA, or DUF files has nothing to do with where your zips are.

Yes, I think I understand that, but as I mentioned, I ALSO organize my zip files by character or type of item.

I do appreciate your feedback, honestly. Nothing I'm hearing makes me think this will work for me or for a lot of others. MAYBE if I was new and ONLY used DS and only used things that have metadata or was willing to create my own, but those of us who have things set up certain ways will not find this useful.

I guess what I'd like to know is whether Daz can PLEASE start having notices when items are updated for those of us who will choose NOT to use DIM at all? It just is not going to work in everyone's workpath.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I want all my mil4 clothing to go in one content directory. OK, I set up my content directory in settings. I select all of the Mil 4 clothing which I have either already downloaded with Install manager on the “Ready to Install” tab, or which I haven’t yet downloaded on the “Ready to Download” Tab. I select my Content Directory in my drop down. If I am downloading I check the box that says install after download, and if I am not worried about keeping the zips I check the delete after install box, or I can choose to keep the zips, my choice. And I push the button.

I then look at my Content structure and say, you know what? I could have done this better. I now want all of my Mil 4 stuff broken out so that V4 is in one directory, M4 is in another directory, K4 is in a third directory. So I select everything in my Mil 4 directory and uninstall it. I select the V4 stuff and select a directory, and push the button. Since I am not downloading it doesn't take very long. Then I choose all of the M4 stuff and select a Directory and push the button. And the same for K4.

I wonder how that would work. I mean – if you choose to delete the ZIP files after install, how can you re-install the installed stuff afterwards? You install Mil4 stuff, delete the ZIPs, then uninstall everything again and install V4, M4, K4 separately into different directories, all that without re-downloading anything? But when you deleted the ZIPs right after the initial install, you do not have the source files (deleted) from which you could install the uninstalled stuff, or not? If you delete the zips, you will have to redownload. When you uninstall products they will automatically show back up in the "Ready to Download" tab if you deleted them. Pick the products, pick the destination and push the button. :)

If you burned the zips onto DVD's then you can pull them off the DVDs and drop them right back into the download directory.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I

Now what this means is, like others have been saying, Install Manager only knows about what it has done. That means that if you install with Install Manager, and then uninstall manually (i.e. manually delete the files), then the manifest for that product is still in the “Manifests” directory and Install Manager still thinks the product is installed. The CMS also thinks the product is installed if the CMS was on when the content was installed. In addition, it means that if you manually install a product (instead of using Install Manager), Install Manager will think it’s not installed, unless you manually make and place the manifest file.

This is good.

I have read many concerns about the install section of Install Manager. It’s really just a batch version of what the currently installers already do. Right now, you launch an installer click through a bunch of pages, pick a place to install, and then it drops a bunch a files in that location. Then you go to another installer and click through pretty much the same pages, maybe picking a different install location but often the same one again. This is tedious and requires a lot of user interaction. The Install Manger just turns this around. Pick one or more products you wish to install, pick a place for them to install to, and click a button to install. The Install Manager goes through the selected products and drops their files, and does anything that installing that product means. So pretty much the same thing, just with fewer clicks. There are a couple differences: for example, formerly the installers optionally made an un-installer for the product to make clean up easy; Install Manager, on the other hand, always records the information it needs to uninstall in the manifest file, as described above. Also, the Install Manager handles the meta-data insertion, so that individual applications don’t have too. The big change is in how much work you as a user have to do, not in the actual work that is begin done.

What happens if you move/rename your files after you install? Well, the same thing that happens without Install Manager: the un-installers can’t find them, and the CMS can’t find them. Anything else looking for the files might not find them. So, this is not any different than the state of things before Install Manager. Install Manager doesn’t cause you any more or fewer problems in these cases. With a manually moved file, it does mean that when an update comes out, you will need to do more manual work. If you’re willing to do that work, then moving your files after installation is not a big deal: it’s the same work you do when updates come out now.

Except that that's not quite the case. If I move the files before the first time I open DS after installing and run the Metadata installer, then it will still find them and accept them as the "correct" install location, because the metadata hasn't been written yet.

If I move it after the metadata has been written, then yes, it's broken and needs fixing.

So with the Installer automatically writing the metadata, it creates more work for me, since I now have no chance to move things before the Metadata is written.

edited December 1969

I also know, that if there is a downside, and I don't know that there is one, it is potentially outweighed by the upside of every product that Install Manager Installs now has, at the minimum, a product entry in the database. So you gain a bunch of metadata already done for you.

I am not quite sure I get it. Are you saying that when you install stuff with the Install Manager, that it automaticaly creates metadata? Or that for every product that has been converted to ZIP, metadata was created during conversion and is now part of the ZIP file? At a minimum, all products that have been converted to zip have a product entry into the database so it will show up in the product list. (Some have referred to it as Mini-Metadata.)

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

Except that that's not quite the case. If I move the files before the first time I open DS after installing and run the Metadata installer, then it will still find them and accept them as the "correct" install location, because the metadata hasn't been written yet.

If I move it after the metadata has been written, then yes, it's broken and needs fixing.

So with the Installer automatically writing the metadata, it creates more work for me, since I now have no chance to move things before the Metadata is written.

If you use the Content Library in Studio, instead of the OS, to move the files, the CMS is updated.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

When you sign-in to Install Manager it goes to your “Downloads” directory and finds what content you have there. It determines this by seeing what zips are in that “Downloads” folder, and by reading a small supplement file that Install Manager places next to them for informational purposes. It also looks in its “Manifests” folder, which has a little file in it for each product it has installed. These manifests are just simple xml files containing some basic information about the product, as well as directions on how to uninstall that product. If a product is in the “Manifest” folder, then it is installed; if it’s not, then it’s not. If a product is in the “Downloads” folder, it’s downloaded; if it’s not, it’s not.

I am not an expert, but if we would be able to somehow produce such a XML file for items we installed manually, then the Install Manager would know they are installed (although it did not install them itself), right? So this could be a way to go for those who want to install manually but are afraid that they would not get notices about updates afterwards. They would not even need to really install the item, just to produce this XML file and put it in the Manifests folder.

I am not sure how hard or easy it would be for some clever head (and there are many in this forum) to create some script or small utility that could create such XML file for a zipped item. But I guess it could be possible, or not?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

So, we are to dump all of the download into one place. Will the DIM realize which is a Poser and which is a DS and install them into the right place or will we have to pick it. And right place for Poser is not My Library/Runtime unless it is for the Genesis PCF stuff to me.

This is a thing I'd like to know too (I also asked it somewhere above ...!). I suspect the answer will be to pick the DS-specific items and install them into your DS-specific location, ditto with Poser. What I am not sure about is those products that have both a Poser install AND a DS 'add-on'.

edited December 1969

At this point, my concern about how the DIM handles metadata has been redefined.

If I create a temporary directory to install to with the DIM, with the intention of deleting it so that I've got my old stuff covered, how is the DIM Metadata going to interact with my existing Metadata. If it's just duplicates, then when I've deleted the temporary install, cleaning up abandoned links should be enough, right? (If the answer still has to wait until tomorrow, that's fine.)

edited February 2013

If you use the Content Library in Studio, instead of the OS, to move the files, the CMS is updated.

I've always found that very clunky and awkward compared to using the OS.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
    edited December 1969

When you sign-in to Install Manager it goes to your “Downloads” directory and finds what content you have there. It determines this by seeing what zips are in that “Downloads” folder, and by reading a small supplement file that Install Manager places next to them for informational purposes. It also looks in its “Manifests” folder, which has a little file in it for each product it has installed. These manifests are just simple xml files containing some basic information about the product, as well as directions on how to uninstall that product. If a product is in the “Manifest” folder, then it is installed; if it’s not, then it’s not. If a product is in the “Downloads” folder, it’s downloaded; if it’s not, it’s not.

I am not an expert, but if we would be able to somehow produce such a XML file for items we installed manually, then the Install Manager would know they are installed (although it did not install them itself), right? So this could be a way to go for those who want to install manually but are afraid that they would not get notices about updates afterwards. They would not even need to really install the item, just to produce this XML file and put it in the Manifests folder.

I am not sure how hard or easy it would be for some clever head (and there are many in this forum) to create some script or small utility that could create such XML file for a zipped item. But I guess it could be possible, or not?

Its possible. It wouldn't be officially supported but its possible. A key piece of information in that file is the MD5 check sum of the installing zip, so you need the physical zip to make the manifest file. If you have the physical zip file, you could just install it and then you'd have the manifest.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Spit said:

Is there any way one could have a choice of installing/not-installing metadata on a per file basis? or even per install batch?

Open DAZ Studio go to Content Database maintenance and reset database. It is all gone, no trails, no nothing.

If you only want a subset? That is what user data is for.

Metadata for about 4000 products amounts to around 100 MB. In the old days that was lots of HD, but with 128GB SSD drives now being considered small. and typical Hard Drives in the TB+ range, 100MB is nothing.

Oh stop with the condescension. It's not the space, it's the possible corruption and extra work. The fewer files in the db and the fewer I, as the user, might mess up the better. So if I don't want ALL of the metadata I get NONE and have to enter from scratch for my current installed 44 gigs of Genesis and DS4 stuff.

DAZ seems to be turning into Microsoft with the one-size-fits-all stuff. Now I'm not even sure it will be beneficial to use as a downloader only.
    No if you are concerned about corruption of the database you back it up. The tools to do that are in DS.

What about the extra work? I had two concerns, you answered one. I'd rather get the metadata than start from scratch. Do you have any suggestions? You said the installers install metadata directly to the database. Do the installers also place the metadata in the runtime/support folders for reimportation?

If that's the case than I (and da Water Rat) can export the database prior to installing a batch, then clear the database, import the export, and delete the runtime/support entries in runtimes other than the default library. That's extra work too but absent some type of choice at install time it's better than nothing.

I mean, there's got to be a way other than all or nothing.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    So, we are to dump all of the download into one place. Will the DIM realize which is a Poser and which is a DS and install them into the right place or will we have to pick it. And right place for Poser is not My Library/Runtime unless it is for the Genesis PCF stuff to me.

This is a thing I'd like to know too (I also asked it somewhere above ...!). I suspect the answer will be to pick the DS-specific items and install them into your DS-specific location, ditto with Poser. What I am not sure about is those products that have both a Poser install AND a DS 'add-on'.In a simple case, if your Runtime is in your Content Directory, (The default set up.) then the stuff that belongs in runtime will be in runtime, the stuff that belongs outside runtime will be outside runtime. Nothing special to do here. Check everything and push the button. It only gets slightly more complicated if you want to put some things in one content directory path and other things in a different content directory path.

edited December 1969

At this point, my concern about how the DIM handles metadata has been redefined.

If I create a temporary directory to install to with the DIM, with the intention of deleting it so that I've got my old stuff covered, how is the DIM Metadata going to interact with my existing Metadata. If it's just duplicates, then when I've deleted the temporary install, cleaning up abandoned links should be enough, right? (If the answer still has to wait until tomorrow, that's fine.)

It will make duplicates, you'll see a (2) next to the duplicated items. If you're planning to blow away the folder, map it in Studio first. Then delete it with the Os. Finally un-map it in Studio. If you un-map a folder in Studio 4.5 that no longer exists on the system it will remove all the file links in that folder from the CMS.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Spit said:
    Spit said:

Is there any way one could have a choice of installing/not-installing metadata on a per file basis? or even per install batch?

Open DAZ Studio go to Content Database maintenance and reset database. It is all gone, no trails, no nothing.

Metadata for about 4000 products amounts to around 100 MB. In the old days that was lots of HD, but with 128GB SSD drives now being considered small. and typical Hard Drives in the TB+ range, 100MB is nothing.

Oh stop with the condescension. It's not the space, it's the possible corruption and extra work. The fewer files in the db and the fewer I, as the user, might mess up the better. So if I don't want ALL of the metadata I get NONE and have to enter from scratch for my current installed 44 gigs of Genesis and DS4 stuff.

DAZ seems to be turning into Microsoft with the one-size-fits-all stuff. Now I'm not even sure it will be beneficial to use as a downloader only.

No if you are concerned about corruption of the database you back it up. The tools to do that are in DS.

What about the extra work? I had two concerns, you answered one. I'd rather get the metadata than start from scratch. Do you have any suggestions? You said the installers install metadata directly to the database. Do the installers also place the metadata in the runtime/support folders for reimportation?

If that's the case than I (and da Water Rat) can export the database prior to installing a batch, then clear the database, import the export, and delete the runtime/support entries in runtimes other than the default library. That's extra work too but absent some type of choice at install time it's better than nothing.

Yes, it does place the metadata properly to reimport it. The only potential issue, as I mentioned above, is I am not sure how the fixes that were done to some of the zip files during conversion will affect a straight import of userdata. Perhaps Chris can field that if he is still paying attention. :) (Since he was the person I was going to ask first Tomorrow morning. :) )

edited December 1969

It will make duplicates, you'll see a (2) next to the duplicated items. If you're planning to blow away the folder, map it in Studio first. Then delete it with the Os. Finally un-map it in Studio. If you un-map a folder in Studio 4.5 that no longer exists on the system it will remove all the file links in that folder from the CMS.

Thanks. That should be a workable solution for being able to take advantage of the DIM without having to re-build everything. And I only have to be careful moving forward with Updates. (and keep my eye out for updates when doing the temp directory. ) Do the Zips have version numbers, so I can update anything I may have missed without having to do a total rebuild? :)

edited February 2013

Spit said:
    Spit said:
    Spit said:

Yes, it does place the metadata properly to reimport it. The only potential issue, as I mentioned above, is I am not sure how the fixes that were done to some of the zip files during conversion will affect a straight import of userdata. Perhaps Chris can field that if he is still paying attention. :) (Since he was the person I was going to ask first Tomorrow morning. :) )

If the file is still where the file was, then the re-import of the user metadata will associate the user data. If the file has moved it will have issues.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
    edited December 1969

Thanks. That should be a workable solution for being able to take advantage of the DIM without having to re-build everything. And I only have to be careful moving forward with Updates. (and keep my eye out for updates when doing the temp directory. ) Do the Zips have version numbers, so I can update anything I may have missed without having to do a total rebuild? :)

When Install Manager pulls down a zip it writes a little xml file next to that zip that lists a GUID. That GUID is the MD5 hash of the zip and its version number. Install manger will tell you its an update. When in the Ready to Install section there is a context menu option on the product to see a listing of the files in the installer before it insalls. The online docs going forward should also list what the update was for.

edited February 2013

When Install Manager pulls down a zip it writes a little xml file next to that zip that lists a GUID. That GUID is the MD5 hash of the zip and its version number. Install manger will tell you its an update. When in the Ready to Install section there is a context menu option on the product to see a listing of the files in the installer before it insalls. The online docs going forward should also list what the update was for.

So if I have (currently, not after I start using the DIM) missed that something updated from, say, version 1.1 to version 1.3, that will be reflected somewhere so I can install it where it goes, rather than to the Temp Directory?

edited December 1969

So if I have (currently, not after I start using the DIM) missed that something updated from, say, version 1.1 to version 1.3, that will be reflected somewhere so I can install it where it goes, rather than to the Temp Directory?

Once Install Manager thinks it is installed it will tell you of any further updates. It can't tell you about updates for a product before it download/installed it. But after that, it will tell you an update is ready, potentially skipping version to the most recent if its been a while since you checked.

edited February 2013

Once Install Manager thinks it is installed it will tell you of any further updates. It can't tell you about updates for a product before it download/installed it. But after that, it will tell you an update is ready, potentially skipping version to the most recent if its been a while since you checked.

You're still missing my question.

According to the "Updated Genesis Products" thread, Anubis is at version 1.8. the last version I have is 1.6

Is there a way to tell that that the latest Version is 1.8 before I install it? Obviously, it won't know that 1.8 is an update for me, but can I tell what version number I'm installing before I install it? It can be either on the zip or the xml file by the Zip, it doesn't have to be in the DIM (though that would be easiest, obviously)

My plan right now is not to rebuild all my directories, but in small batches to download and install whatever the DIM finds in my account to a temporary directory, so that it can know that I have these products installed, and then moving forward use it (depending on how my experience with the temp directory went) to install updates and new products. However, if I come across any product updates I wasn't aware of, I want to install them where they go in the initial install phase.

edited December 1969

According to the "Updated Genesis Products" thread, Anubis is at version 1.8. the last version I have is 1.6

Is there a way to tell that that the latest Version is 1.8 before I install it? Obviously, it won't know that 1.8 is an update for me, but can I tell what version number I'm installing before I install it? It can be either on the zip or the xml file by the Zip, it doesn't have to be in the DIM (though that would be easiest, obviously)

My plan right now is not to rebuild all my directories, but in small batches to download and install whatever the DIM finds in my account to a temporary directory, so that it can know that I have these products installed, and then moving forward use it (depending on how my experience with the temp directory went) to install updates and new products. However, if I come across any product updates I wasn't aware of, I want to install them where they go in the initial install phase.

Install manager is only going to give you the latest version. Not some intermediate version. If there is an update it will tell you about it and set it up for download.
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Please forgive my snippiness. It's been a rough several months for everyone, not just this one customer. Frankly I just want to get back to rendering and don't want to worry about files, metadata, installing, updates, the store, the new forums or anything else that has gotten in the way of the joy of Studio for a while now.

This, too, shall pass.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

Great - we'll hold off until tomorrow for the answer. But I would think the DIM would be dead in the water for many of us if it didn't support customer categorization.

It isn't a question of if it supports customer categorization, it does. The potential problem is because there was some repair work done during the conversion to zips, and I need to find out what, if any, impact that has on a straight port of user data.

I also know, that if there is a downside, and I don't know that there is one, it is potentially outweighed by the upside of every product that Install Manager Installs now has, at the minimum, a product entry in the database. So you gain a bunch of metadata already done for you.

I don't know about the rest, but personally I have no clue what "straight port of user data" refers to. But I do know, that since I don't use MetaData, nothing could make up for the loss of my beloved categories.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

With the info that Spooky and Chris have revealed and questions answered, it always brings up more questions. Look at it this way you two, at least there are those of us that are deciding to go ahead with this and can help others then questions come up. Every conceivable one we ask that is of personal need or interest will more than likely get remembered. I can only imagine how much work this must have been and then to turn around and spend this much time answering question after question, some very similar to others already asked.

With that Chris mentioned something about Advanced options.

So with my set up, as I've stated, I split my clothing up, male, female, shared and fantasy for Genesis. It's easier for ME to find what I need either through the Content Manager or through the OS (as Chris puts it). I DON'T use DS to move items so I'm sure that's part of the issue with metadata and why I don't see allot of content in the Smart Content area but Oh well, perhaps someone will come up with a very slick way to fix all that eventually. My question is that if I want to keep my sub categories under Clothing & Characters (skins) it seems there is actually a way to point the DIM to those directories and then it will be logged correctly? I'm wondering if there is an advanced option to tell it to overwrite what it finds in those directories so it's logged perfectly??

edited February 2013

Install manager is only going to give you the latest version. Not some intermediate version. If there is an update it will tell you about it and set it up for download.

Nope. Still not my question. I don't usually have this much trouble making myself clear, sorry.

Will the DIM or the Zips or the XML files tell me the product version number it has just downloaded? Obviously it's going to be the latest one, but is there a way to know what that version number is before I install it?

For example, I use the DIM to download Anubis. Is the file name Anubis.Zip with an Xml file labeled 1.8 in a way I can see it, Or is the Zip Anubis-1.8.zip, or do I have to open up the readme and hope that is finished and up to date? Or am I going to have to cross reference with various User threads?

edited December 1969

Nope. Still not my question. I don't usually have this much trouble making myself clear, sorry.

Will the DIM or the Zips or the XML files tell me the product version number it has just downloaded? Obviously it's going to be the latest one, but is there a way to know what that version number is before I install it?

For example, I use the DIM to download Anubis. Is the file name Anubis.Zip with an Xml file labeled 1.8 in a way I can see it, Or is the Zip Anubis-1.8.zip, or do I have to open up the readme and hope that is finished and up to date? Or am I going to have to cross reference with various User threads?

No neither the zips nor the files that support them have a version number. They have a GUID which is the version number but they are not sequential as much as a unique id.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    With the info that Spooky and Chris have revealed and questions answered, it always brings up more questions. Look at it this way you two, at least there are those of us that are deciding to go ahead with this and can help others then questions come up. Every conceivable one we ask that is of personal need or interest will more than likely get remembered. I can only imagine how much work this must have been and then to turn around and spend this much time answering question after question, some very similar to others already asked.

That is indeed a comforting thought, RAMWolff, and your help will be greatly appreciated. I personally fully intend to try it out but at this point, it does sound somewhat daunting.

edited February 2013

RAMWolff said:

With that Chris mentioned something about Advanced options.

So with my set up, as I've stated, I split my clothing up, male, female, shared and fantasy for Genesis. It's easier for ME to find what I need either through the Content Manager or through the OS (as Chris puts it). I DON'T use DS to move items so I'm sure that's part of the issue with metadata and why I don't see allot of content in the Smart Content area but Oh well, perhaps someone will come up with a very slick way to fix all that eventually. My question is that if I want to keep my sub categories under Clothing & Characters (skins) it seems there is actually a way to point the DIM to those directories and then it will be logged correctly? I'm wondering if there is an advanced option to tell it to overwrite what it finds in those directories so it's logged perfectly??

Not at this time.

Now if you had a different runtime for each of the things you mentioned, and then left the files in place as they were dropped it would work, But otherwise you need to update the things tracking the file manually, so like the metadata file, the manifest, etc etc. Just like you manually moved the files.

You could manually reorganize the zip and the manifest in it, but again I can't guarantee the results if you do.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
    edited December 1969

No neither the zips nor the files that support them have a version number. They have a GUID which is the version number but they are not sequential as much as a unique id.

So my options are:

1) Hope that the Readme is up to date, and has the version number
    2) cross reference with the User threads
    3) Install to a temp directory and compare things, then re-install manually over the existing install if the new one is different
    4) Install over the existing install and hope for the best

If I didn't know better, I'd think you actually were trying to force me to rebuild my runtimes. :)

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Great - we'll hold off until tomorrow for the answer. But I would think the DIM would be dead in the water for many of us if it didn't support customer categorization.

It isn't a question of if it supports customer categorization, it does. The potential problem is because there was some repair work done during the conversion to zips, and I need to find out what, if any, impact that has on a straight port of user data.

I don't know about the rest, but personally I have no clue what "straight port of user data" refers to. But I do know, that since I don't use MetaData, nothing could make up for the loss of my beloved categories.Basically if you have userdata if you can apply your userdata to the new directory instead of the old one. According to Chris, you should be able to.