Using GenX2 on Toon Genesis characters?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I've been thinking of playing with some toon characters...I never really have but something stuck the notion in my head (don't know what even).

I was thinking of coverting something like toon Amy (https://www.daz3d.com/toon-amy-for-genesis-character-hair-1) to G2F using GenX2...mainly cuz that's what I tend to do with characters I'm going to use...also it's the bulk of my stuff.

Has anyone done this? Will the toon morphs transfer?

(I'm also questioning why I'd do it, since most G2F will go backwards to Gen..clothes, poses...with a bit of work....but might as well gather facts before deciding any path).

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317

Yes they do transfer fine - though 3DUniverse's morphs tend to be whole morphs not separate head and body.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited March 2017

Toon characters transfer well, in my experience. I just got GenX2 a couple of weeks ago and I transferred a few toons.

Here's 3D Universe's Kimberly transferred to Genesis 3 Female (with, if I remember correctly, Aiko 7's mats):

Here's Callie 6 shape transferred to G3F:

And The Girl 4 and Aiko 4 shapes transferred to G3F. 

With the more extreme shapes you might need to use the Joint Editor and do a quick "Adjust Rigging to Shape". :)

As to WHY you'd do it - for me it was two fold. 1) I really like the joints much better on the new generation figures. I think they look better, particularly in the more extreme poses. And 2) I have a lot more poses and clothes and such for the newer generation figures (since I got into 3D art kind of late in the game lol). So having more clothes, shoes, hair, poses, etc for the cute toon characters that I like was a good incentive to transfer their shapes to the newer gen.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Ok.. finaly getting back to this.. I've done a basic transfer, but I wanted to do a head only transfer...is that not possible?  Or am I just not remembering how to do that?

(The one I tried gave me a head morph in the right category, but it morphs the whole thing)

Scavenger said:

Ok.. finaly getting back to this.. I've done a basic transfer, but I wanted to do a head only transfer...is that not possible?  Or am I just not remembering how to do that?

(The one I tried gave me a head morph in the right category, but it morphs the whole thing)

I've not tried a head only morph. I'll give it a try and see if I can figure it out. 

It looks like you can as long as there is already a separate head morph already. Like I just created a Head Morph for G3F that is just the Girl 6 head. But that morph was already a separate morph. I'm not sure if you can do a sperate head morph for a full character that doesn't already have a separate head and body morph. 

Looks like the 3d Universe ones do have seperate head morphs in the shapping pannel...

I just need to figure out how to do geneseis conversions better, I guess :)

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923

Check out the GenX tutorial list in Novicas Art Studio Thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2178136/#Comment_2178136

For head morph transfer between Genesis figures : Go to the GenX tab, load your source figure, expand the Region Head section, check all head morphs you would like to convert on the left side, Mode needs to be Selected Morphs, select your target figure and click on transfer.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,309

You can transfer a head only morph by using "Single Morph Only", however when the pop up box appears where you have to name the morph you need to change the Region from "Actor" to "Head"

Remember to select the head to be transferred as one of the morphs under "(region) Head" first.

Note that most of 3D Universe's toon characters have no separate head and body morphs, just a single full body morph, so you can not transfer just the head on these characters.

MN: Thanks! What was needed was to manually change the head morph in the list to "1" and then it worked just perfectly!

Scavenger said:

Looks like the 3d Universe ones do have seperate head morphs in the shapping pannel...

I just need to figure out how to do geneseis conversions better, I guess :)

Algovincian gave me a step by step instruction that I found really helpful: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2191471/#Comment_2191471

It's how to go from G2F to G3F, but you can just read "g2f" as "genesis" and I'm sure it works just the same. :)

I had a lot of trouble figuring it out until his comment - I hope you find it helpful too. 

Genesis, with negative 100% Jasmin head.

Screenshot 2017-03-30 22.13.14.png
    876 x 894 - 561K
    Scavenger said:

Well thank you for THOSE nightmares. lol :P

Thanks for the help in this thread..really helped me get a handle on Gen2X to get a number of characters converted!

amypirate2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 53K
    Scavenger said:

Thanks for the help in this thread..really helped me get a handle on Gen2X to get a number of characters converted!

Dawww So cute! What character is that?

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    Scavenger said:

With the right skin, that could be even more disturbing. I like it. There are a lot of creative uses for dialing morphs negatively.

Diva: Toon Amy

Rift: It had a muppet look to me...give it a felt skin...