Stonemason, Please Stop.

Comments

• Escobar87Escobar87 Posts: 18
    edited March 2017

and it`s with a 3delight version again. Even though your sale numbers wouldn`t probably decrease significantly if you would only offer an iray version, you`re still doing that extra work for us few 3delight users.

You have my full gratitude for that. smiley

Bought it a few minutes ago. It`s a gorgeous set.

Post edited by Escobar87 on
  • hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited March 2017

one .obj would be crazy,lol..no one would do that.

all of my environments are made up of multiple items,parented together to create an entire environment,the Urban future models each have dozens if not hundreds of different parts

First of all, Stonemason, thank you to taking the time to reply to my request. I really love your work (collected atleast 31 items so far).

I am glad to read the products in the bundle are made up of many OBJs. It will go in my basket today. Wow if I take UF5 with the bundle I get 65% off bundle and 55% off UF5. Done and done.

I want to be able to arrange different building elements from your set with other sets (that I tweak) and some stuff I built myself.

BTW

Urban Sprawl "1" has only one OBJ.  File: UrbanSprawlLIST.txt

***file snip****

\Runtime\Geometries\Stonemason\TheHood\                     
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    TheHood.OBJ                                  
    ------------------------------------------------------------

***file snip****

That's crazy (smile). Who would do such a thing!?!? (smile)

Again, thank you for all your wonderful work. May it bring you great prosperity as well as satisfaction.

Post edited by hjake on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited March 2017

Go Stonemason Go!

Hey, are we making requests? Because I would love to see a sort of 'Green Urban Future'. Like, modern city+50-100 years w/ both water features at (original) street level and solar panels on rooftops and gardens all over newer buildings. So much of existing scifi is either hyper-white aned clean or ultra grungy and it'd be fun to see something that really embraced bioengineering and environmental management without losing the lived-in feel and history of real cities. And I always think of Stonemason when I imagine this, probably because it feels like a combination between the Abandoned City buildings (covered in greenery) and Urban Sprawl 3/UF4-5.

ETA: Also because I have a new computer with a 1080 and I want to make it weep and beg for mercy, apparently.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • Love that I can use this new set with my old 3delight stuff! Rock on!

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited January 2018

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
    edited January 2018

• It's a awesome product :)

Martial said:

Are lights included in Urban futur 5?

No lights, but emissive surfaces :)

If you want a good result, use this settings:

For a bright scene, reduce the Exposure Value to 7 (Tone Mapping tab), and set the Environment mode to "Scene Only" (Environlment tab) or keep "Dome and scene" but force the Environment Intensity to 0.016.

For a more darkness scene, reduce the Exposure Value to 8 (Tone Mapping tab), and set the Environment mode to "Scene Only" (Environlment tab) or keep "Dome and scene" but force the Environment Intensity to 0.032.

In IRay of course, I don't have testing 3DeLight. :)

• posecastposecast Posts: 386
    posecast said:

Can someone post an overhead render of this set? Thank you!

Here's a quick birdseye view. 

Thanks! This makes the buying decision much more informed!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Has anyone tried rendering this with CPU only? I could invest in an external box to put an NVIDIA card in my Mac or my PC laptop but both are close to $1,000 and I just don't have the cash now...

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

stop?..I'm just getting started !

<sigh> And I'll keep buying them . . .

• timetwisttimetwist Posts: 52
    edited March 2017

I compilled a list of all of the scene objects which are included in case anyone else is curious.  Like all Stonemason products that I've managed to get my hands on, Urban Future 5 is incredibly detailed and customizable.  I have a render going but it looks like it's in CPU mode so it will take a bit longer to be worthy of posting.

Stonemason's Urban 5 Scene Item List

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MartialMartial Posts: 404

It's a awesome product :)

Martial said:

For a bright scene, reduce the Exposure Value to 7 (Tone Mapping tab), and set the Environment mode to "Scene Only" (Environlment tab) or keep "Dome and scene" but force the Environment Intensity to 0.016.

For a more darkness scene, reduce the Exposure Value to 8 (Tone Mapping tab), and set the Environment mode to "Scene Only" (Environlment tab) or keep "Dome and scene" but force the Environment Intensity to 0.032.

Merci

Thanks for the info

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited March 2017

Has anyone tried rendering this with CPU only? I could invest in an external box to put an NVIDIA card in my Mac or my PC laptop but both are close to $1,000 and I just don't have the cash now...

First test render, CPU only on my system (no nVidia card here either), a little over 3 hours with quality set at 2.  I probably could have stopped it earlier, it looked good at the 2 hour default on quality of 1.  I just wanted to see how much better it could get.  This is using the emissives as Stonemason has them set.  Sun-Sky set for early evening.  I adjusted tone mapping.

UrbanFuture5.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 798K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    edited January 2018

• timetwisttimetwist Posts: 52
    edited March 2017

Annnd.... I couldn't wait any longer.  This was about an hour of render time at 9999x6666 and was then scaled down to 3000x2000 in Photoshop.

Environment settings: SS Lat=45, SS Long=-85, SS Time=7PM

Exposure Value=11

There were four spotlights added around the reporter, all other lighting comes from the scene.  Reporter and the camera bots were the only objects added.  Larger version available if you clicky.

~Raxatech

Val Snow reporting on Stonemason's Urban Future 5

edited March 2017

duplicate post

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited March 2017

Greetings,

I tried your settings, that definitely helped a lot, still the problem with lights in back on the skyscraper, none of those are lighting up.

Ye gads...  Is that an 'out of the box' render, with just those exposure tweaks?

That's gorgeous.

--  Morgan

edited January 2018

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    ...put UF5 in the cart with US3 and the new robo girl and got the whole shebang down to 46$ and change (getting both extra discounts plus the bonus buyer). The only rub, that is about half of what I have in my bank account for the rest of the month. Agh, probably won't get a deal like this again. :-(
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited March 2017

It's a awesome product :)

Martial said:

When I initially loaded the Iray scene preset and used the default render settings to render a night time scene, I was very disappointed with the results. My first reaction was to adjust the luminance levels on the existing emissive shaders. 

Thank you ile-avalon, for posting your Iray render setting suggestions.  I had no idea a scene can be manipulated so much with just adjustments to the default render settings. I had no clue that lighting details such as the building windows were present.

For those wondering, the HDR is from Dreamlight's Streets by Asia II by Night with the Dome Rotation Y set to 30. Rather then risk changes to the render settings by applying it's Render-Setting preset,  the HDR was applied manually to the Environment Map.

UF5 03a.jpg
    1514 x 672 - 373K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    HorusRa said:
    Redz said:
    jakiblue said:

Urban 1 & 3 go to $12.24 each. Urban 2 & 4 are $13.98 each. (total = $52.43)

This is with ALL FOUR in the cart together, plus I'm a bonus buyer so that may help prices.

The Urban Future Bundle - containing 1, 2, 3, 4 - discounts to $50.40 if it's the ONLY thing in the cart. Add another Stonemason product and it goes down to $42. (better deal as a bundle than separately, if you have none of them.)  

avxp said:

ALL HIS SETS. 

This weekend. Can anyone see what his bundles Urban 1,2, 3 something like that are discounted to?

I grabbed those a week ago.

Are the urban future sets, including the new one, designed to fit together as one set, or are they all completely separate environments? 

No, they are all seperate and independent. They don't fit together. The Greeble City Blocks are of the same nature and design concept and go together if you so wish.

I've resized them and stuck them together. You kinda have to guestimate and keep trying until they're similar enough. I went by window/storey sizes.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    HorusRa said:

Cheated on one (well not really) and used DesignAnvils 'Let it Snow.' It worked out real well.

That's not cheating that as smart use of assets lol.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    hjake said:

Could someone who owns the Urban Future Bundle display the file lists for the 4 products or put a copy in a Dropbox I could get them from?

It would tell me what is actually provided with each product.

The read me files are in the "ReadMe's" folder of the folder where the product was installed.

They will have names similar to  "readme_10012_1_UrbanSprawl2TheBigCity.html" or "UrbanSprawlREADME.htm and UrbanSprawlLIST.txt".

I can buy the bundle or individual items for 58% off right now. My concern is that each product is just 1 large OBJ with losts of textures applied to it as was the case with Urban Sprawl 1.  I enjoy the flexibility that was afforded with Urban Sprawl 2 and 3.

Trust me when I tell you the amount of objects in any of his sets will not be an issue.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    hjake said:

Could someone who owns the Urban Future Bundle display the file lists for the 4 products or put a copy in a Dropbox I could get them from?

It would tell me what is actually provided with each product.

The read me files are in the "ReadMe's" folder of the folder where the product was installed.

They will have names similar to  "readme_10012_1_UrbanSprawl2TheBigCity.html" or "UrbanSprawlREADME.htm and UrbanSprawlLIST.txt".

I can buy the bundle or individual items for 58% off right now. My concern is that each product is just 1 large OBJ with losts of textures applied to it as was the case with Urban Sprawl 1.  I enjoy the flexibility that was afforded with Urban Sprawl 2 and 3.

The readme can be found in the Documents section here.  There is a link to the file list down near the bottom of the page.

While I love Urban Sprawl 1, I think that way it was done is one of the reasons Stonemason retired it.  He doesn't do it like that anymore.  Fortunately, I bought it before retirement.  I'm retexturing the whole thing for a project.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited March 2017

...well sort of pulled the trigger.  Ended up removing Urban Sprawl 3 which knocked the total down by about half.  Still more than I should spend, but roughly 65% off for two items that really fit the genre of work I do is just too hard to pass up. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

Does anyone know if the snow can be removed from Stonemason's

https://www.daz3d.com/planet-alpine

It says it has 4 snow props, but I'm not sure if that's the snow LAYER or a mound of snow somewhere in the set.

It says it's a shader variation of a lava set, but it's not needed, which makes me think this is an entire building set and the snow is optional.

-----

I'm on the fence becuase I love the snow set, but think about using it for other scenarios in the future.

I already have locked in on his dessert outpost so.....I'd kind like to hav esomething versatile.....

Or is there a way to remove the 'shader' myself?

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161

been a long time since I used that one..the snow props can be turned off/deleted,the snow shader that is applied to everythng else (it dusts top facing surfaces with snow) has a dial to ramp up or down the snow amount..so you can turn it off surface by surface.planet alpine and planet lava are the same environment,just with different shaders made for each one.

• ile-avalonile-avalon Posts: 18
    edited March 2017
    Lindsey said:
    Thank you ile-avalon, for posting your Iray render setting suggestions.  I had no idea a scene can be manipulated so much with just adjustments to the default render settings. I had no clue that lighting details such as the building windows were present.
    Lindsey said:
    For those wondering, the HDR is from Dreamlight's Streets by Asia II by Night with the Dome Rotation Y set to 30. Rather then risk changes to the render settings by applying it's Render-Setting preset,  the HDR was applied manually to the Environment Map.

You're welcome :)

If you go on wikipedia, you can found a table with the Exposure Values for various lightning conditions:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

As you can see on the wiki, an Exposure Value of 13 is for a daylight scene (cloudy bright with no shadows), with this settings many emissive can be lost or poor. If you want use correctly an emissive, you must reduce the Exposure Value
    As soon you test a product, if the scene is dark, if the emissives seem not works, reduce the Exposure. ;-)

For an daylight outdoor scene without emissive, I use the default setting (Ev13)
    For an daylight outdoor scene with shadows and/or emissive, I reduce the Ev (8 to 10)
    For an night outdoor scene, my Ev is between 7 and 10
    For an indoor scene with an open side where environment map can entrace, my Ev is between 6 and 8
    For a closed scene without environment map, my Ev is between 4 and 7.

It's the base, after you can play with the ISO and the White Point...

For the Environment Map Intensity, the rule is simple, for each Ev point that you have reduce, you divide the Environment Map Intensity by 2.
    Example, if you set your Ev at 12, you force your Environment Map Intensity at 0.5 ; for an Ev at 11, your intensity is at 0.250 ; ...

Of course, all this is if the product use realistic values for the lights. Currently, we can found many product where the lights have been volontary amplificated for working with the default value. Personnaly I think it's a mistake to amplify the light, but it's more simple for the user who don't know how works the Tone Mapping Settings... :-)

Several examples :

Stonemason's Container Zone, first rend with default value, second rend with an Ev at 8.

Stonemason's Venezia Suite, I have add characters for see the influence of lights on them.
    First rend with default value and defaut Environment Map, the interior is to dark and emissive seem not working.
    Second rend, a daylight version with an Ev at 7 and Environment Map intensity at 0.016. The scene is dark, but with more time it can be corrected with a better ISO and an White Point adjustement.
    Last rend, a night version, for this one I have doing several correction, the background emissive color have been adjusted with a dark blue color for create a night background, and the default environment map have been replace by a night environment map. Ev at 6 and Environment Map intensity at 0.008.

Sorry for my english :)

TheVeneziaSuit-Ev13vs7-6.jpg
    1000 x 1470 - 215K
    ContainerZone-Ev13vs8.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 98K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    HorusRa said:
    Redz said:
    jakiblue said:

Urban 1 & 3 go to $12.24 each. Urban 2 & 4 are $13.98 each. (total = $52.43)

This is with ALL FOUR in the cart together, plus I'm a bonus buyer so that may help prices.

The Urban Future Bundle - containing 1, 2, 3, 4 - discounts to $50.40 if it's the ONLY thing in the cart. Add another Stonemason product and it goes down to $42. (better deal as a bundle than separately, if you have none of them.)  

avxp said:

ALL HIS SETS. 

This weekend. Can anyone see what his bundles Urban 1,2, 3 something like that are discounted to?

I grabbed those a week ago.

Are the urban future sets, including the new one, designed to fit together as one set, or are they all completely separate environments? 

No, they are all seperate and independent. They don't fit together. The Greeble City Blocks are of the same nature and design concept and go together if you so wish.

I've resized them and stuck them together. You kinda have to guestimate and keep trying until they're similar enough. I went by window/storey sizes.

Greeble sets: I go for around 1300% scaling across the board...seems to work well.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Hmm.. with bonuses and sales and stuff.. the 1-4 bundle hits $42....