"Jumping" viewport problem is driving me insane! (EDIT: SOLVED, fix on page 1)

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 2017

I have the same issue but only in Daz 4.10. Never had that before and it is really annoying when it jumps like that and you try to work. Hope it will be fixed.

Post edited by Petra on
  • RFB532RFB532 Posts: 94
    edited January 2018

@Pet @cridgit @GlenWebb @Imago @nonesuch00 @Fletcher @dijitul_924f9a3316 @DrunkMonkeyProductions @richmclean_f7493cd19a @Daywalker Designs @rames44 @AlienRenders @smaker1 @Visuimag @DrNewcenstein @surreal @1234MATT @richmclean_f7493cd19a @brettnuckles @Cayman Studios

Without a doubt, at minimum send the bug issue to the tech support team: Link: https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

They need to know that this is a legitimate issue. Because they are not believing me at all, and they tried to dismiss it saying “they could not replicate the bug.” But I insisted that this is a real problem.

I don’t want to be the lone warrior on this issue, so please let them know! But regrettably don’t expect too much help from them.

I submitted the request over two months ago, and let me tell you it has been agonizing. They take about a week, to a week and half to answer, and will basically ask you the same questions about your computer equipment specs that you already stated in the initial request form, and then you have to wait another week for a question/answer!

And then at one point they gave instructions for Windows 7, when I explained this was happening in Windows 10! Naturally I called them out on it. This makes wonder if they have really tried to replicate the bug or are just lying to me. And due to the long response times they are probably forgetting what the issue was about.

Daz is really sabotaging their own software with this bug, it makes it unusable. It’s like if the car you are driving steering wheel suddenly, unexpectedly veers of the left every few minutes, you wouldn’t be able to drive your car any more, it would be worthless, this is what’s happening to Daz. Their view port steering wheel is all screwed up!

It reminds me when I thought I had found the perfect affordable modeling software (Light Wave 3D 2015) But encountered a frustrating bug. I found that myself and others were experiencing the same view port bug issue (Go figure, Huh! Viewport Gremlins) where the viewport scene would randomly slowly rotate in one direction and you could not stop it, making the program useless, impossible to model in, or use at all.

Lightwave’s tech team at the time was not helpfull, and refused to acknowledge or fix it. People in the forums were baffled and complaining, desperate for an answer or solution. Ultimately I had to shelve Lightwave, and never returned to it since.

Regarding Daz, I since have stopped buying content because it’s worthless because I can’t use Daz. And I was a good customer that spends a lot of money at Daz, and I pay for Platinum club too!

But Daz has me over a barrel. I was trying to use Daz professionally. I have a project due with a huge investment behind it. The project I’m working on would put Daz in a favorable spotlight. But I can’t work on it at all because of this bug! Regrettably I had to put the project on hold, maybe indefinitely!

If Poser could use the Genesis 3 and 8 characters (Without a bunch of finagling) I would dump Daz in heart beat.

I am considering trying to talk somebody in charge and bypass their so called support team, because this bug/issue is horrible.

Post edited by RFB532 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    1234MATT said:

i have had the same problem,,,the only reliefe i have found is to work off line and to not use the controls in the work area,,,only use the controls in the parameters section.

That's what I do to & I change to make the Geometry Editor active instead of the Translate or other Gizmo active. It is definately not a Windows 7 / Windows 10 problem.

@Pet @cridgit @GlenWebb @Imago @nonesuch00 @Fletcher @dijitul_924f9a3316 @DrunkMonkeyProductions @richmclean_f7493cd19a @Daywalker Designs @rames44 @AlienRenders @smaker1 @Visuimag @DrNewcenstein @surreal @1234MATT @richmclean_f7493cd19a @brettnuckles @Cayman Studios

Without a doubt, at minimum send the bug issue to the tech support team: Link: https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

They need to know that this is a legitimate issue. Because they are not believing me at all, and they tried to dismiss it saying “they could not replicate the bug.” But I insisted that this is a real problem.

I don’t want to be the lone warrior on this issue, so please let them know! But regrettably don’t expect too much help from them.

I submitted the request over two months ago, and let me tell you it has been agonizing. They take about a week, to a week and half to answer, and will basically ask you the same questions about your computer equipment specs that you already stated in the initial request form, and then you have to wait another week for a question/answer!

And then at one point they gave instructions for Windows 7, when I explained this was happening in Windows 10! Naturally I called them out on it. This makes wonder if they have really tried to replicate the bug or are just lying to me. And due to the long response times they are probably forgetting what the issue was about.

Daz is really sabotaging their own software with this bug, it makes it unusable. It’s like if the car you are driving steering wheel suddenly, unexpectedly veers of the left every few minutes, you wouldn’t be able to drive your car any more, it would be worthless, this is what’s happening to Daz. Their view port steering wheel is all screwed up!

It reminds me when I thought I had found the perfect affordable modeling software (Light Wave 3D 2015) But encountered a frustrating bug. I found that myself and others were experiencing the same view port bug issue (Go figure, Huh! Viewport Gremlins) where the viewport scene would randomly slowly rotate in one direction and you could not stop it, making the program useless, impossible to model in, or use at all.

Lightwave’s tech team at the time was not helpfull, and refused to acknowledge or fix it. People in the forums were baffled and complaining, desperate for an answer or solution. Ultimately I had to shelve Lightwave, and never returned to it since.

Regarding Daz, I since have stopped buying content because it’s worthless because I can’t use Daz. And I was a good customer that spends a lot of money at Daz, and I pay for Platinum club too!

But Daz has me over a barrel. I was trying to use Daz professionally. I have a project due with a huge investment behind it. The project I’m working on would put Daz in a favorable spotlight. But I can’t work on it at all because of this bug! Regrettably I had to put the project on hold, maybe indefinitely!

If Poser could use the Genesis 3 and 8 characters (Without a bunch of finagling) I would dump Daz in heart beat.

I am considering trying to talk somebody in charge and bypass their so called support team, because this bug/issue is horrible.

I filed a bug too and sent them a screen shot of Very Sleepy program showing that DAZ Studio was stuck waiting a some sort of 'z messages' API call but the tech support didn't mention that they even looked at that screen shot. They instead told me the bug was because I don't have an nVidia vidio card but I didn't have one with DAZ Studio 4.9 either! They were insistant even after I told them that and that also I wasn't iRay rendering or have iRay Preview viewport active but just openGL texture shaded viewport that it was because my computer has no nVidia video card.

If that is the case DAZ 3D needs to update the minimum specs needed to run DAZ Studio 4.10.x to say what model of nVidia card the user must have at a minimum to run DAZ Studio. 

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

I would submit a report, but I was told that it wasn't a specific DAZ issue. So I don't know how much progress we'll make.

Visuimag said:

I would submit a report, but I was told that it wasn't a specific DAZ issue. So I don't know how much progress we'll make.

Wasn't a specific DAZ issue? It happens in DAZ Studio and nowhere else.

Visuimag said:

Wasn't a specific DAZ issue? It happens in DAZ Studio and nowhere else.

Like I said, I hinted at that and received backlash for it. Not trying to make this into a big thing, but just be careful with that idea. I, too, have only experienced it in Studio, but apparently, others have dealt with it elsewhere.

• We need to establish a baseline of what it could be, as many of the reports I have seen online indicate that the problem happens when there is third party mouse management software involved.
    We need to establish a baseline of what it could be, as many of the reports I have seen online indicate that the problem happens when there is third party mouse management software involved.

So it could be the mice, themselves. Not an issue with the hardware, but an incompatibility with Studio, of sorts.

Well I'm using the most basic of Logitech corded USB 3 button optical mice. There is not a chance of a low battery power, bluetooth or wireless signal interferance, or abstract fancy 3D mouse or tablet or touch functionality that is configured incorrectly or has a bad driver. It's a bug in DAZ Studio 4.10.+. And no my computer and mouse and keyboard behaving correctly doing everything correctly except when in DAZ Studio when miraculously they don't work correctly but somehow it's the keyboard, mouse, and Windows but not DAZ Studio 4.10.+? Well the developers can tell tell their tech support staff it's because I don't have an nVidia video card all they want but I know better.

• Visuimag said:
    We need to establish a baseline of what it could be, as many of the reports I have seen online indicate that the problem happens when there is third party mouse management software involved.

So it could be the mice, themselves. Not an issue with the hardware, but an incompatibility with Studio, of sorts.

Interaction between the mouse control software (like Logitech SetPoint, for example) and DAZ Studio is what I meant.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited January 2018

Well I'm using the most basic of Logitech corded USB 3 button optical mice. There is not a chance of a low battery power, bluetooth or wireless signal interferance, or abstract fancy 3D mouse or tablet or touch functionality that is configured incorrectly or has a bad driver. It's a bug in DAZ Studio 4.10.+. And no my computer and mouse and keyboard behaving correctly doing everything correctly except when in DAZ Studio when miraculously they don't work correctly but somehow it's the keyboard, mouse, and Windows but not DAZ Studio 4.10.+? Well the developers can tell tell their tech support staff it's because I don't have an nVidia video card all they want but I know better.

There are a fair number of assumptions there - especially that the developers told support that an nVidia card was required (I suspect it was either a misreading of your ticket, crossed wires, or a plain mistake). Other posting in this thread have said they have seen jumping mice in other applications, so it's not simply a Daz assertion - of course it may well be that applications vary in their sensitivity, depending on what and how much they do with mouse data, but that doesn't make it a DS bug.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • RFB532RFB532 Posts: 94
    edited January 2018

@Daywalker Designs

What do you propose we do to establish a "Baseline" to hopefully get Daz to acknowledge and possible fix this issue?

Post edited by RFB532 on
    edited January 2018

There are a fair number of assumptions there - especially that the developers told support that an nVidia card was required (I suspect it was either a misreading of your ticket, crossed wires, or a plain mistake). Other posting in this thread have said they have seen jumping mice in other applications, so it's not simply a Daz assertion - of course it may well be that applications vary in their sensitivity, depending on what and how much they do with mouse data, but that doesn't make it a DS bug.

I know but I repeated to them the it was not a non-video video card problem and I included a screen shot of Very Sleepy showing DAZ Studio was waiting excessive times for a message to be received in some message que but they did not even address that. I get the impression they do no testing on a laptop or PC that has no nVidia video card because that takes time & patience.

I understand they are busy with lots of new features they are implementing but they as developers should understand a lot of perceived bugs they and customers may be experiencing with DAZ Studio now could be remedied via much faster response times from DAZ Studio.

They seem to be blowing my bug report off like I am somebody complaining because my CPU renders take 16 hours instead of 16 minutes that the nVidia video card owners get when they render when that was not what me ticket was complaining about at all.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Well I'm using the most basic of Logitech corded USB 3 button optical mice. There is not a chance of a low battery power, bluetooth or wireless signal interferance, or abstract fancy 3D mouse or tablet or touch functionality that is configured incorrectly or has a bad driver. It's a bug in DAZ Studio 4.10.+. And no my computer and mouse and keyboard behaving correctly doing everything correctly except when in DAZ Studio when miraculously they don't work correctly but somehow it's the keyboard, mouse, and Windows but not DAZ Studio 4.10.+? Well the developers can tell tell their tech support staff it's because I don't have an nVidia video card all they want but I know better.

I know but I repeated to them the it was not a non-video video card problem and I included a screen shot of Very Sleepy showing DAZ Studio was waiting excessive times for a message to be received in some message que but they did not even address that. I get the impression they do no testing on a laptop or PC that has no nVidia video card because that takes time & patience.

I understand they are busy with lots of new features they are implementing but they as developers should understand a lot of perceived bugs they and customers may be experiencing with DAZ Studio now could be remedied via much faster response times from DAZ Studio.

They seem to be blowing my bug report off like I am somebody complaining because my CPU renders take 16 hours instead of 16 minutes that the nVidia video card owners get when they render when that was not what me ticket was complaining about at all.

Well, if that is what happened then I would count it as one of my first two options - misreading or crossed wires. If you have the ticket number (PM me) I will ask about it, though I would imagine that the developers are aware of the event timing and have taken it into account in their assessment of the issue.

edited January 2018

Well, if that is what happened then I would count it as one of my first two options - misreading or crossed wires. If you have the ticket number (PM me) I will ask about it, though I would imagine that the developers are aware of the event timing and have taken it into account in their assessment of the issue.

It is OK. Seeing this thread of others with same problem I think they must be aware of it. I instead will find instructions on how to record a API execution that happens in the thread when this problem happens. It is the only practical way I can tell that what happens if they don't have HW and SW to replicate the bug.

But I am not sure of how to get the thread API trace, Windows does not work like UNIX so easily tracing threads with simple command line commands..

• Learn to live with this. Priority is on cloaks draping properly on aliens.
  • ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386

Not that it matters but its affecting me too...and i have a really strong pc with everything updated to the latest version...so my guess is thats a bug....

• I don't think it is an isolated problem for a few users, it happens on all windows computers I tried on, if you load something, does not matter how complex or simple, and move the mouse from anywhere in the viewport into the cube, click and drag (without any delays), it does not happen all the time, but out of 10 times or so it happen 1 time.

It has nothing to do with how much memory you have, how fast CPU or how complex your scene is.

edited January 2018

I don't think it is an isolated problem for a few users, it happens on all windows computers I tried on, if you load something, does not matter how complex or simple, and move the mouse from anywhere in the viewport into the cube, click and drag (without any delays), it does not happen all the time, but out of 10 times or so it happen 1 time.

It has nothing to do with how much memory you have, how fast CPU or how complex your scene is.

Mine does it 10 out of 10 times if I have the Translate or similar gizmo selected.

edited January 2018

OK, I seem to have fix my viewport problem by going to Edit - Preferences - Interface and changing everything to use as few resources as configurable. It was already pretty low in resource uses but now it is configured at rock bottom.

Note: I use Draw Settings Option: Texture Shaded

DAZ Studio Interface.png
    652 x 580 - 29K
  • I have this problem, though it's not exclusive to daz. I've had it since the latest windows update. Zbrush has the same, I can't select items in 7zip with click-drag because the mouse flicks to the corner, and daz doesn't just throw the camera around, but will also throw body parts around when I use powerpose.

Sucks.

• I have this problem, though it's not exclusive to daz. I've had it since the latest windows update. Zbrush has the same, I can't select items in 7zip with click-drag because the mouse flicks to the corner, and daz doesn't just throw the camera around, but will also throw body parts around when I use powerpose.

Sucks.

What kind of mouse and if it's an expensive one (relatively speaking) that has its own mouse configuration software, have you tried changing settings in that, or Google searches to see what workarounds exist for the problem?

I've never had any mouse problem or keyboard problems outside DAZ so I know my problem wasn't Windows 10 related. I use Blender, and other animation SW and never a problem.

Don't mistake the computer being I/O bound when you do a DAZ render with being a mouse/keyboard problem. They are not the same problem. I still get i/o bound problems rendering in DAZ on occasion even though I set DAZ to have affinity for only 7 out of 8 hyperthreads.

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

I have the problem, and it’s with a Microsoft mouse. Hard to blame that on rogue device drivers. 

• rames44 said:

I have the problem, and it’s with a Microsoft mouse. Hard to blame that on rogue device drivers. 

Not rogue drivers; buggy mouse MANAGEMENT software, like setpoint or similar.
  • TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197
    Not rogue drivers; buggy mouse MANAGEMENT software, like setpoint or similar.

That's a great point. I had the problem show up more often when I was using a Steelseries gaming mouse. Now that I'm running a Logitech G Pro, but not running the management software, I'm seeing it significantly less, and I don't think I've seen it at all in anything else.

• brettnucklesbrettnuckles Posts: 86
    edited February 2018

Wow, so I'm the one who originally made this thread and to be honest I actually took a good long break from using Daz because this issue is so infuriating. I recently came back to the program and I'm trying to use it but the bug persists as bad as ever. Was pretty surprised to see thast this thread has been active recently. I'm basically just praying that Daz takes notice of this issue and looks for a fix because NO amount of tweaking my hardware, software or settings has ever been able to help. I've done a fresh install of the entire Windows 10 operating system and installed ONLY Daz and the issue is still there. It even happens when there's literally NOTHING in the scene, just an empty viewport -- I click to pan or orbit my view and the whole scene jumps to a different perspective. (cue crazed laughter). To be honest it makes me kind of motion sick because it's so visually jarring. Oy.

Post edited by brettnuckles on
  • brettnucklesbrettnuckles Posts: 86
    edited February 2018

I've even toyed around with attempting to produce a script using programs like Autohotkey that would automatically pause mouse movement momentarily after clicking in a Daz Studio window, since as previously mentioned in this thread the jumping can usually be avoided if you click, wait a second, and THEN move your mouse (which is not that easy to do every single time you want to orbit the camera...) Unfortunately I could never get a script like that to work quite right....

For the record I just went ahead and filed a tech support bug, which I never did before. 

Post edited by brettnuckles on