"Jumping" viewport problem is driving me insane! (EDIT: SOLVED, fix on page 1)

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

DAZ 4.10 is much more apt to seize me PC and make the whole PC I/O bound, even when I start the Windows Task Manager and set DAZ Studio to only use threads 1 - 7 via Processor Affinity of my CPU. That was about unheard of with DAZ Studio 4.9

• DAZ 4.10 is much more apt to seize me PC and make the whole PC I/O bound, even when I start the Windows Task Manager and set DAZ Studio to only use threads 1 - 7 via Processor Affinity of my CPU. That was about unheard of with DAZ Studio 4.9

One thought - have you installed the Intel OpenCL driver for CPUs? If you have, and if you uninstall it, does thes situation improve?

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,899

Same problem here.

Sent numberless messages to support, they still insist the scene is too heavy (even if there is just a cube in it) and to send them the scene file...

• DAZ 4.10 is much more apt to seize me PC and make the whole PC I/O bound, even when I start the Windows Task Manager and set DAZ Studio to only use threads 1 - 7 via Processor Affinity of my CPU. That was about unheard of with DAZ Studio 4.9

One thought - have you installed the Intel OpenCL driver for CPUs? If you have, and if you uninstall it, does thes situation improve?

I'm wondering if this is the issue. I have tried everything to fix this annoying issue. I didn't notice any viewport jumping problems until the whole "upgrade" for Dforce came about. I'm going to try removing the openCL since I can't seem to get dForce to do anything and have no desire to fly into a rage with it anymore. Thanks for mentioning that, Richard.
  • GlenWebb said:

DAZ 4.10 is much more apt to seize me PC and make the whole PC I/O bound, even when I start the Windows Task Manager and set DAZ Studio to only use threads 1 - 7 via Processor Affinity of my CPU. That was about unheard of with DAZ Studio 4.9

I'm wondering if this is the issue. I have tried everything to fix this annoying issue. I didn't notice any viewport jumping problems until the whole "upgrade" for Dforce came about. I'm going to try removing the openCL since I can't seem to get dForce to do anything and have no desire to fly into a rage with it anymore. Thanks for mentioning that, Richard.

It was a question rather than a suggestion - it justs eemed that adding the Intel driver might be a thing people would have done with DS 4.10 and so could perhaps be a suspect in a chnage of behaviour (given that, I believe, DS itself hasn't chnaged its mouse-handling code). Do let us know what you find if you do do that.

• Imago said:

Same problem here.

Sent numberless messages to support, they still insist the scene is too heavy (even if there is just a cube in it) and to send them the scene file...

• FletcherFletcher Posts: 63
    edited December 2017
    I have that problem with just 1 G3 or G8 figure loaded. Will try out removing OpenCL. I have OpenCL 2.1, not 1.2 that others seem to have.
    Post edited by Fletcher on
  • FletcherFletcher Posts: 63
    edited December 2017
    Can this be done properly by the control panel?
    Post edited by Fletcher on
  • Fletcher said:

Which this? Uninstall the Intel OpenCL driver (if you installed it, if not you won't have it)? That should  be through the Control Panel>Add Remove applet, yes - OpenCL runtime for intel Core and xeon processors (with lots of TMs and Rs).

• dijituldijitul Posts: 146

This is definitely an issue for me since upgrading to 4.10.  This is NOT a mouse or system setting issue because if it were, it would happen in other applications such as Photoshop or Blender.  It is most definitely a bug in DAZ Studio's navigation.  I did not notice this problem in the previous version, and as the original poster said, holding the button for a moment before moving seems to avoid the jumping around but it's an annoyance nonetheless.

• Fletcher said:

Which this? Uninstall the Intel OpenCL driver (if you installed it, if not you won't have it)? That should  be through the Control Panel>Add Remove applet, yes - OpenCL runtime for intel Core and xeon processors (with lots of TMs and Rs).

Couldn't find OpenCL through Control Panel>Add Remove, but I do see it under computer management>driver details.  Looks like it's part of the Nvidia and Intel Graphics driver package.

• Yes, I was asking about the separate Intel CPU driver - which has to be installed, it isn't theer by default. So, that straw remains unclutchable.

• Just my two cents.

This is definitely a bug in daz studio.

Started experiencing an increase in this issue recently, post 4.10 update,  4.9 had it to a lesser degree, can't remember 4.8 doing it.

Initally thought it was due to a new usb hub i got, but when testing on other systems it was doing the same thing.

As far as drivers and updates causing it, or fixing it, or the various settings in daz studio having any effect, or having various programs running concurrently, that's a big fat nope.

All 7 of my servers, and 3 graphics workstationss, as well as my old XP box all demonstrate this issue.

Hasn't mattered if i'm running AMD, Intel, ATI or NVidia, they're all doing it.

Old, New, In between, Various OS's, same thing.

About the only thing i haven't tested is to see if it's IRAY related or not, since i don't render much in 3delight anymore.

Problem is that it's so sporatic.

I'll go hours/days without it happening, then have days it happens almost constantly, regardless if i'm running one of my clean systems, nothing but OS and daz studio installed, or i'm running my main workstation with loads of license servers running and various management programs.

It's an insanely frustrating problem that seems to be getting worse.

• This is not a fix but it helps a bit.. hide the camera cube and use the pan and orbit controls. Use the controls only after they have been highlighted.

Of course the keyboard viewport controls work perfectly but it's a steep learning curve.

• I have also been experiencing the intermittent issue where the viewport suddenly jumps.  I am trying to spot a pattern.  I am wondering if it occurs when Daz is working on a task and stops updating the viewport and when it does updates the viewport it is based on the current mouse position.

• Well I can say uninstalling OpenCL didn't change anything for me. The viewport still spins out of control when I move/reposition the camera.
  • TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197
    Fletcher said:

This is not a fix but it helps a bit.. hide the camera cube and use the pan and orbit controls. Use the controls only after they have been highlighted.

Of course the keyboard viewport controls work perfectly but it's a steep learning curve.

I have also been experiencing the intermittent issue where the viewport suddenly jumps.  I am trying to spot a pattern.  I am wondering if it occurs when Daz is working on a task and stops updating the viewport and when it does updates the viewport it is based on the current mouse position.

What I think is happening is that when DAZ is over-burdened it takes a moment for the movement widget to activate (shown by highlighting.) If the mouse position changes between the mouse-down action and the widget activating it loses all the in-between mouse-position data and jumps to where the mouse is now. (And if the viewport isn't updating we over-do the movement, and boom.) I know that I have better luck calming the jump by holding the mouse-down for a moment before moving the mouse, though my hand is often impatient... Note that I see the same behavior in 3DS Max under similar circumstances, so it's not just a DAZ thing.

Sorry I missed that. I have the debug version of intel drivers and I have not been about to find how to switch them back to normal intel drivers. And before that I had a completely SW stack version for intel CPU of openCL from intel & their uninstaller completely blew uninstalling that stack & I can't find how to get rid of that SW only openCL stack. Maybe that is the cause of my DS 4.10 lag, OK well part of it, the debug video drivers,  not the SW openCL stack from intel, got installed about 2 - 4 weeks earlier about a week after the intel SW-only openCL stack got installed.

• TomDowd said:
    Fletcher said:

This is not a fix but it helps a bit.. hide the camera cube and use the pan and orbit controls. Use the controls only after they have been highlighted.

I have also been experiencing the intermittent issue where the viewport suddenly jumps.  I am trying to spot a pattern.  I am wondering if it occurs when Daz is working on a task and stops updating the viewport and when it does updates the viewport it is based on the current mouse position.

What I think is happening is that when DAZ is over-burdened it takes a moment for the movement widget to activate (shown by highlighting.) If the mouse position changes between the mouse-down action and the widget activating it loses all the in-between mouse-position data and jumps to where the mouse is now. (And if the viewport isn't updating we over-do the movement, and boom.) I know that I have better luck calming the jump by holding the mouse-down for a moment before moving the mouse, though my hand is often impatient... Note that I see the same behavior in 3DS Max under similar circumstances, so it's not just a DAZ thing.

I suspect it'a a lot more common than most people think.

edited December 2017

Ok, I successfully deleted the intel openCL SW-only stack now I need to figure out how to get my intel HD Graphics 4000 video card drivers to be regular drivers & not debug drivers.

Turns out the debug mode on my video card drivers is turned on for any video card drivers I use, even the generic Miscrosoft VGA drivers and I can't find how to turn them off. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • rames44rames44 Posts: 329

I have this problem too, and I haven’t touched my Daz config in months. It happened once in a while “back when” but became MUCH more committed n after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  Probably something to do with event sequencing or something, but I’m convinced it’s effectively a Daz bug. Problem is that it might be hidden under the Qt stuff their UI is built on. 

Yes, I'm convinced it is still a DAZ Studio bug too but me having my display adaptor drivers in debug mode sure helps to slow things down some more. I can't find how to change me video card drivers out of debug mode! frown

• I'm getting this jumping thing too. It started a few months back I think. Very annoying.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

I too am having jumping problems in the viewport.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

I have the same problem mainly when I click and zoom on a part of a genesis character wich is not in the center of the viewport. Very annoying since a week or two but I did not use DS4 so much in December. 

I'm using DS4.10 without any changes (at least from me :-) !)

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

I'm glad I found this thread because I am having the same problem. I noticed it happening when I upgraded to 4.10. 

Windows 10 / 64 Bit if that matters.

And I'm using a Wacom CINTIQ monitor so this is a bug that's not isolated to mouse users. It's frustrating because you have to re-orient yourself. Hopefully, this is fixed!

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549

I've been having this issue for well over a year! Glad to see more reporting it, as DAZ will, hopefully, look into (if they haven't already)!

• I'm not seeing screen resolutions from those reporting problems.

Are you trying to use DS with the maximum display capacity of your GPU?

Are you streaming music while you fiddle in DS?

I do get the spinning cube thing (even captured it in the Part 4 video of my dForce Hair tutorial), but I also get random double-clicks outside of DS, and have since before 4.10, so I can't say for certain it's DS.

I'm also using a 55" LCD TV with 1080p max, and a Titan X (Pascal) as my primary card. If you're taxing your display driver just feeding a monitor, DS is just piling on the monkey.

• surrealsurreal Posts: 155

Has to be a Windows 7/10 problem. I have a nine year old workstation on which the problem manifests most of the time (it is extremely heavily loaded with applications and services but for everything else still works very well). Have a two year old workstation (multi xeon cpus and 1080ti cards and 128 of ram) on which it occurs occasionally (it has very few applications loaded and only basic services running). Both Windows 10 64bit.

This would lead me to think that operating system load has some bearing but is not the sole factor.

Also happens when using 3D mouse but to lesser extent than wired mouse (have not tried any wireless devices).

I did minimise the problem for awhile earlier in the year by altering USB and HID service and interupt priorities but that route was shut in later windows updates. (my suspicion/guess is that the USB controller plays second fiddle to the PCIE channels, multiple video cards and applications making use of GPU computing exacerbates the delay that the USB controller[PCH] has to cop with)

• 1234MATT1234MATT Posts: 219

i have had the same problem,,,the only reliefe i have found is to work off line and to not use the controls in the work area,,,only use the controls in the parameters section.