Iray Decal Kit - Make your own decals Tutorial! (Commercial)

Comments

• Bought it and thoroughly enjoyed playing with it. My only regret was learning that decals cannot act as emissives, thus depriving me of an easy tool to make my actors have glowing cracks on their skin (I am weird like that).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited March 2017

The User Guide says is pretty sparse. Do you have any explanation of the decal settings, like Texture Coordinate System, Projection Type, and Normalize Projection Mode? That is the kind of stuff I was hoping to learn and understand, in order to make better use of decals.

Edit: I wrote that at almost 3 am when I was dead tired. It sounds like a complaint. That is not how I meant it. You provided a User Guide when most vendors don't, so thank you! I'm trying to dig for more in depth decal information. I can't find any Daz documentation on it. I was hoping you had some insight into it.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited March 2017

Decals all over! 2 on the wall, 2 on the shirt, 1 on the pants, 1 on the man, 1 on the badge.

Dirty Cop

Post edited by barbult on
  • Wishlisted for sure. KindredArts, thanks for the tutorial. Im wondering if you could give a brief explenation about pattern sizes. Specifically what size pattern should be used for what situation and why. I have a vague idea but it would be nice to hear from someone who knows.

Hi @AnotherUserName glad to be on the wishlist :) I'm not sure how applicable the power of 2 is to render-time engines, but i find it good practice. In terms of render performance, GPU's are generally faster at dividing by 2 rather than uneven numbers. This is often more relative to game engines and the usage of mip-maps etc. It's about affording the compute process a simpler operations pipeline. Modern GPU architecture and incredibly clever optimizing compilers have made this process a bit outdated, but i feel the thought process is still sound and i still find it good practice. 

It isn't just about texture processing performance either. In photo editors i (and a lot of other artists) use a 128x128 grid to work on texture maps, and dodgy sizes tend to give me problems, especially when i'm working on atlases. 

crying Thanks Kindred Arts for the explenation but that one flew wwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over my head. I shall now pause to bang two rocks together and scuffle around in the dirt on my knuckles............... OK, better laugh!

So, when an image is created, lets say for the purpose of displaying in the foreground, midground or background is there a preffered texture size to use? Or am I missing the point? ....confused....

I'm sorry, i'm not a graphics programmer so a lot of it goes over my head as well, you're not alone wink When i try to simplify things though, i often get accused of over-simplifying, so i'm often in hot water either way. The long and short of it is - Older gpus (and even engines) would only support power of two textures, therefore, if you threw a non-power of two texture size at it, they would often re-scale to a power of two. So if if an older card came across a 600x600 texture, it would re-scale it to 1024x1024. This obviously adds the memory overhead (Not good), and it does this for several reasons, mostly mip-mapping. In a game-engine, when you get further from a texture, the mip-map would cycle backwards through power of two texture sizes. So if a brick texture is 1024x1024 when you're rubbing your face against a wall, it would fall back to 512x512,256x256,128x128 as you move further and further away. This saves on drawing high-resolution textures for geometry that's far away from the camera. So it's easier for the engine/GPU to divide 1024x1024 than it is to divide 1394x295. Again, i'm not sure if daz even does this, it's just general practice that's been the norm for a long time. 

So! On to texture sizes. It really depends on how close the camera is going to get to a texture. If you are working on a texture that's going to cover a large area (like a non-tiled wall) you should use a 4k (4096x4096) texture. If you are working on a small tattoo on a character, it can be as small as 512x512, or even smaller. It's all about how close you want to get to it. The closer you get to a low resolution image, the fuzzier it will become. Daz artists tend to use 4k across the board, because we don't generally have FPS and memory to worry about, nor are we generally drawing a very large area. 

I hope any of that helped. Perhaps if you gave me an example of what you want to do, i could give you a better run-down. 

Cool, I get that. Thanks for boiling it down for me and thanks for taking the time to do so. Appreciated.

Hi KindredArts. I picked up the decal kit today and im having fun with it. I do have a question. Is there any way to hide portions of the decal on specific surface areas? For example, in the test below, id like it if the blood decal was not covering her eye. Is there some way that I can hide just the eye portion of the decal or should I just do a layered photoshop approach, one render with, one with out, cut and paste?

decal test.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 283K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

@KindredArts, do you have a commercial thread for your new decal product, the Wounds one?

• Also need help with the wounds pack...

• jakiblue said:

@KindredArts, do you have a commercial thread for your new decal product, the Wounds one?

Also need help with the wounds pack...

I don't have a commercial thread for the wound kit, but this thread is fine for any decal related questions you need help or support with. If i get an influx of questions, i'll start another thread so it's condensed into it's own area. What issues are you having?

• jakiblue said:

I don't have a commercial thread for the wound kit, but this thread is fine for any decal related questions you need help or support with. If i get an influx of questions, i'll start another thread so it's condensed into it's own area. What issues are you having?

Questions really...

1. What is the best method for moving a decal across a figures surface?

2. How do you rotate a decal without causing the decal to deform?

3. What do you do when a seam forms from moving a decal across two MAT zones?

Im not at my computer, about to go to bed, but I have a load of other questions ill list tommorow. Excellent product. Im very excited to try making some of my own wound decals. I might hit you up for some pointers if thats ok with you.

• jakiblue said:

Questions really...

Im not at my computer, about to go to bed, but I have a load of other questions ill list tommorow. Excellent product. Im very excited to try making some of my own wound decals. I might hit you up for some pointers if thats ok with you.

Hmm, this is a topic that could really benefit from a quick video, it's much easier to show rather than tell. Unfortunately my video editing software is currently haunted and keeps crashing for some reason. I'll try and get it functioning again so i can cover this in a more user friendly way, however, i'll try and explain it...

1. I use iray interactive view and simply move the bounding box around the figure. Unfortunately, the decal node can only actively project from two sides, which means there are 4 sides which aren't particularly useful, and will distort your decal. Again, this is probably easier to show rather than tell, i'll try and get it sorted for you.

2. Same as above really. The default decal node i have provided should load in around the belly area of a zeroed figure. Once that's loaded, i launch interactive view and manually manipulate the decal using universal mode until i get the result i want.

3. Could you screencap this for me? Decals should work anywhere on a given figure, regardless of MAT zones, so you shouldn't be having this issue. 

Again, it's probably going to be easier for everyone to get a video out on the first two topics. Give me a bit of time to resuscitate vegas and i'll cover it in a quick tutorial.

• Ok, here's a quick youtube video showing how i normally place decals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbxfLO-MFZw

Apologies for the rather dismal quality, i've had to pick up some new editing software and i'm not particularly good with it. Let me know if this helps, and if there's anything else you'd like to see.

• jakiblue said:

Questions really...

Hmm, this is a topic that could really benefit from a quick video, it's much easier to show rather than tell. Unfortunately my video editing software is currently haunted and keeps crashing for some reason. I'll try and get it functioning again so i can cover this in a more user friendly way, however, i'll try and explain it...

1. I use iray interactive view and simply move the bounding box around the figure. Unfortunately, the decal node can only actively project from two sides, which means there are 4 sides which aren't particularly useful, and will distort your decal. Again, this is probably easier to show rather than tell, i'll try and get it sorted for you.

2. Same as above really. The default decal node i have provided should load in around the belly area of a zeroed figure. Once that's loaded, i launch interactive view and manually manipulate the decal using universal mode until i get the result i want.

3. Could you screencap this for me? Decals should work anywhere on a given figure, regardless of MAT zones, so you shouldn't be having this issue. 

Again, it's probably going to be easier for everyone to get a video out on the first two topics. Give me a bit of time to resuscitate vegas and i'll cover it in a quick tutorial.

Ok. tried a couple things. The seam that I was refereing to dosent appear to be a seam at all. I think its just that distortion that I was asking about. The face seems to be a tricky zone for placement. Any hints on getting good face placement?

wounds.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 359K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

If you are using a planar projection, why not rotate the Y? You can either rotate the overall box or the projection itself

• jakiblue said:

Questions really...

Ok. tried a couple things. The seam that I was refereing to dosent appear to be a seam at all. I think its just that distortion that I was asking about. The face seems to be a tricky zone for placement. Any hints on getting good face placement?

Yes, what you're getting is perspective distortion because the decal is not pointed in the right direction. Unforunately, the only way to tell which way the decal is pointing, is by rotating the bounding box until you can see the decal clearly. In the image you've given, it looks like the decal is projecting directly onto the face, which is why you get that distortion on the cheeck. If you rotate the decal on the Y axis, the decal should project onto the cheeck. Think of the decal node as a projector unit that's casting an image onto a surface, if the angle of the surface changes, the projector also needs to rotate in order to properly project onto the new surface. If oyu watch the video again, you can see that i'm actively changing the rotation of the both to align to the surfaces i want to project onto.

• jakiblue said:

Questions really...

Yes, what you're getting is perspective distortion because the decal is not pointed in the right direction. Unforunately, the only way to tell which way the decal is pointing, is by rotating the bounding box until you can see the decal clearly. In the image you've given, it looks like the decal is projecting directly onto the face, which is why you get that distortion on the cheeck. If you rotate the decal on the Y axis, the decal should project onto the cheeck. Think of the decal node as a projector unit that's casting an image onto a surface, if the angle of the surface changes, the projector also needs to rotate in order to properly project onto the new surface. If oyu watch the video again, you can see that i'm actively changing the rotation of the both to align to the surfaces i want to project onto.

OK, I got it. What helped for me was leaving the default MAT in place and positioning before applying the wound MAT. Really fun. I also just realized what thread I was in (duhhh) so im looking forward to making some of my own decals. Thanks KindredArts. Screenshot attached.

wounds_2.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 483K
  • jakiblue said:

Questions really...

OK, I got it. What helped for me was leaving the default MAT in place and positioning before applying the wound MAT. Really fun. I also just realized what thread I was in (duhhh) so im looking forward to making some of my own decals. Thanks KindredArts. Screenshot attached.

Awesome! Glad you got the hang of it, and your render came out very well. Just give me a toot if oyu have any more issues, and i'll get back to you asap. Good luck!

@jakiblue Blue, did you need me too?

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534

I have the decal products on my wish list.  So many items, so little money.

Nope. Just wanted to make you work. devillaugh

jakiblue said:

• jakiblue said:

jakiblue said:

LOL!

• tkdrobert said:

I know the feeling, my G8 wardrobe is still a wasteland sad

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

laughlaughcheeky You love it. LOL. 

Actually, I did have a question - have you got plans for more decal stuff? I'm curious about more wounds (can never have enough of those), or ones for dirt etc on clothes to match the character with all the wounds and blood. And I thought of something cool the other night for them....and then promptly forgot what it was, so I'll have to think again.  

tkdrobert said:

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

• jakiblue said:

Actually, I did have a question - have you got plans for more decal stuff? I'm curious about more wounds (can never have enough of those), or ones for dirt etc on clothes to match the character with all the wounds and blood. And I thought of something cool the other night for them....and then promptly forgot what it was, so I'll have to think again.  

tkdrobert said:

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

Yes, i will be doing more decal stuff in the future. I think i'm the only PA catering for it at the moment, which is a shame because i really enjoy using them. Wounds are a bit tricky, because it can upset some people if you don't promote it in a very particular way. It makes selling big gnarley wounds kinda like walking on eggshells. A set for clothing would be pretty sweet though, that should be do-able this side of christmas. If you have any specific idea's, ready the carrier pidgeon as usual. smiley

• jakiblue said:

tkdrobert said:

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

Yes, i will be doing more decal stuff in the future. I think i'm the only PA catering for it at the moment, which is a shame because i really enjoy using them. Wounds are a bit tricky, because it can upset some people if you don't promote it in a very particular way. It makes selling big gnarley wounds kinda like walking on eggshells. A set for clothing would be pretty sweet though, that should be do-able this side of christmas. If you have any specific idea's, ready the carrier pidgeon as usual. smiley

I would love to see some seriously traumatic wounds. That would be fantastic.

I have a question. What is the best way to bring out detail in the decals? Details such as bump or displacement. Should that be handled in the usual fashion or do the decals have a specific setting for this?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Displacement doesn't work on decals, alas.

• jakiblue said:

tkdrobert said:

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

I have a question. What is the best way to bring out detail in the decals? Details such as bump or displacement. Should that be handled in the usual fashion or do the decals have a specific setting for this?

As far as i can tell, bump and normals work as they would normally. Displacement and emissions however, don't work at all with decals. I assume this is because decals don't actually replicate geometry like a geoshell does (but don't qoute me on that). The decals in the wound pack do have a map in the bump slot (iirc) so it might be worth simply upping the bump intensity and see how you fare, If you're making your own maps from reference images, you could simply use black and white conversions with tweaked contrast in most cases. Either that, or nvidia has a free normal map plugin for photoshop that can give you decent results from a single input image.

• jakiblue said:

tkdrobert said:

jakiblue said:

RUDE 

As far as i can tell, bump and normals work as they would normally. Displacement and emissions however, don't work at all with decals. I assume this is because decals don't actually replicate geometry like a geoshell does (but don't qoute me on that). The decals in the wound pack do have a map in the bump slot (iirc) so it might be worth simply upping the bump intensity and see how you fare, If you're making your own maps from reference images, you could simply use black and white conversions with tweaked contrast in most cases. Either that, or nvidia has a free normal map plugin for photoshop that can give you decent results from a single input image.

I noticed the bump maps and adjusted them a bit in the above render. Ill play with the settings some more and see what I can come up with. Thanks again KA.

• ScoopeyScoopey Posts: 190

I used to have the old "Decal Master" - this actually looks easier to use. Has the advantage for my Atlantica 2200 project that I can stick fake brand names relating to "made up" corporations on buildings and clothing.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Hmmm, this is very interesting... wondering how this would work for makeup's or just eyeliners?  Might be worth investigating...

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,236
    RAMWolff said:

Hmmm, this is very interesting... wondering how this would work for makeup's or just eyeliners?  Might be worth investigating...

Working around the eyes with decals is super tricky because the decal applies to your entire figure (minus clothing) so if you don't angle the decal right it will bleed over onto the eye. That's why i haven't done makeup yet, working around such a small area can be a bit tricky.

Hmmm, OK. 

Interestingly it does work but it's very bad, nothing that would be saleable.  The decal code would need some updates to have the eyeball geometry ignored upon request.  If you just make a white line on the template, fill the outer bits with pure black you have something that does decal onto the face.  I found for the Genesis 8 Male that these Transforms are what's needed to get it up to the eyes:

x-translate: -0.371430

y-translate: 171.3359

z-rotate: 7.537709

Scale: 84.35%

x-scale: 67.0%

I just diffuse filled it with green so it shows up in the render...

The issue and what i would think woudldn't be the issue, is that while it's good for not being UV independent when using the UV to make the eye liner it's huge and has to be scaled and rotated to get it somewhat where it needs to be.  Too fidgety.  So if you come up with a good way to do this I'm all ears!  lol

EyelinerTest.jpg
    809 x 888 - 98K