Daz Studio animation export to other software for render

Is it possible to set up some animated charaters in DS, export that animation and then bring it into other software for lighting/composite/render?

Can it be done with export to Blender? 

Any other software/plug-ins make this easier (or possible)?

Comments

• Blender, using mCasual's teleblender script, is one option I think. You can also use the Alembic Exporter from the store if you are not wanting to adjust the animation itself as that should give the exact shapes and moves you see in DS, ready for surfacing and lighting, or MDD, part of the full Animate 2, depending on what your target application will import. FBX and Collada are also options, but because they try to capture more information they can vary in their effectiveness.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I recommend to check this add on .

http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.jp/p/daz-importer-version-11.html

Though it is still RC, but already I can confirm it is best DAZ figure exporter for blender. or I do not know other plugi in which offer

same flexiblity about DAZ figure for blender with converted for cycle mat, stable clean base rig, and pose.

you may get more option about rig too.  if you like composit, or tweak mat for blender cycles for DAZ figure it should be best option. 

plugin.JPG
    1456 x 880 - 196K
  • dvyddvyd Posts: 33

Hello,

Thank you for recommending this Blender add-on! I was having difficulty getting a similar tool, mCasual's teleblender script, to run in Blender. I am now able to import a DAZ character into Blender, but there are several issues with the results (see atached render):

1) The clothing mesh for pants and shirt appear torn

2) I used the aging morphs for Gensis 3 product on this character and they are missing in Blender. The morphs included face deformations and wrinkle textures.

3) His scalp, where the face meets the hair, is completely black

4) Pose and facial expression are missing

Can you explain exactly how you export from DAZ and import to Blender. I tried following the instructions on the add-on homepage, but perhaps I'm missing a step? I'm primarily interested in transfering morphs, textures, poses, and expressions from DAZ to Blender. Bones and other attributes would be welcome but are not necessary.

Thank you,

-d. vyd 

DAZimport_Blender_Render_01..png
    3840 x 2160 - 903K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,929
    edited February 2017

I have not done it with later figures but Animate 2 has MDD export which worked for me years ago.

like alembic its a vertex animation format so you get the mesh as is no rigging just shape changing following the animation but if it still works it would be full HD morphed mesh.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited February 2017

Hi, at first, hope you thanks to Thomas Rasson if you like it. though he can not reply all, but he sometimes check his blog too.smiley

Then I do not think I can solve  your problems, but 

1 Did you export your actor,  as collada at first as same name as exported scene? there are 5 or 6 option to import.  but "with collada"  is best option to keep mesh as same as daz studio with rig. I recommend this option.  Other import option work different and offered for different purpose. 

2. I do not have  aging morph, then can not confirm, but if it use HD morphs, we can not export HD morph as same as before by this plug in only.  Usually this plug-in designed with base resolution. then aplly smooth modifier, when we need. though you can try import HD morphs version with high-reso, then bake it for low resolution. 

3.  if you use RC version, I think, it had  node texture "color-data" problem about "non-color -data".  Thomas replied my repot, then now those problem has improved about cycles render in beta version, I do not know well about BI,  but please check Sculpt mat .  there is some case , it can not import  TR map or you need to reverse the strength etc. 

Though generate mats For Blender,  from DS iray and 3delight mat with texture is like a magic for me, but we still need manual work to re-produce mat as same as before.

4  I do not export posed figure.  but export as zero pose with rig and clothings, after that  import Facial expression controller,  then import, animation, pose from daz.   

I think, if you only need to import mesh animation, without rig , you can try  Alembic exporter, or import full scene as obj by casual script, then append mat from This importer if you need manually.  

though about both plug-in can not import any morphs as tweakable,  I think, and you can not pose Actor with rig in blender, but they may re-produce scene and mesh with baked morph animation as same as before . I do not know, why you have trouble with mCasuals blneder script.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2877/mcjteleblender-daz-studio-scenes-animations-w-blender-s-cycles-engine/p1

I  have used mCasuals blneder script with current ds  and blender beta versions.  it work as same as before. it is still great plug-in for me. I just choose plug-in case by case,  as same as Khalibloo-Panel

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?321572-Khalibloo-Panel

Though I now main play with this importer in blneder, and hope to offer feed-back without hurry. 

Post edited by kitakoredaz on

I'm new to DAZ and do not understand the difference between regular and HD morphs. The aging morph product uses HD. So, if I understand you correctly, I should try the Alembic exporter, even if my scene does not involve animation. Alembic should export the meshes and textures--including HD morphs--but will not include the rig. I'll try that later today.

As for mCasual's Blender script,  I get this error:

<span class="typ" style="border:0px; color:rgb(43, 145, 175); margin:0px; padding:0px">Traceback</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> </span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">(</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">most recent call last</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">):</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">  </span><span class="typ" style="border:0px; color:rgb(43, 145, 175); margin:0px; padding:0px">File</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> </span><span class="str" style="border:0px; color:rgb(125, 39, 39); margin:0px; padding:0px">&quot;\woman_sitting_script_export.py&quot;</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">,</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> line </span><span class="lit" style="border:0px; color:rgb(125, 39, 39); margin:0px; padding:0px">41</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">,</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> </span><span class="kwd" style="border:0px; color:rgb(16, 16, 148); margin:0px; padding:0px">in</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> </span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">&lt;</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">module</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">&gt;</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"></span><span class="typ" style="border:0px; color:rgb(43, 145, 175); margin:0px; padding:0px">AttributeError</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">:</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> module </span><span class="str" style="border:0px; color:rgb(125, 39, 39); margin:0px; padding:0px">&#39;mcjBlendBot&#39;</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> has no attribute </span><span class="str" style="border:0px; color:rgb(125, 39, 39); margin:0px; padding:0px">&#39;setRenderEngine&#39;</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"></span><span class="typ" style="border:0px; color:rgb(43, 145, 175); margin:0px; padding:0px">Error</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">:</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> </span><span class="typ" style="border:0px; color:rgb(43, 145, 175); margin:0px; padding:0px">Python</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> script fail</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">,</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> look </span><span class="kwd" style="border:0px; color:rgb(16, 16, 148); margin:0px; padding:0px">in</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> the console </span><span class="kwd" style="border:0px; color:rgb(16, 16, 148); margin:0px; padding:0px">for</span><span class="pln" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px"> now</span><span class="pun" style="border:0px; color:rgb(48, 51, 54); margin:0px; padding:0px">...</span>

This error suggests the problem is in line 41 mcjBlendBot.setRenderEngine( &quot;CYCLES&quot; ).&nbsp;When I open a Python console in Blender and type "import mcjBlendBot" the file is imported. However, typing "mcjBlendBot." and ctrl+spacebar does nothing. I do not see a list of commands I can use. I don't know why autocompletion does not work. Opening mcBlendBot.py, I found the following lines of code: def setRenderEngine( engine ): if( engine != &quot;AS_IS&quot; ): bpy.context.scene.render.engine = engine so I'm not sure why I get the error module &#39;mcjBlendBot&#39; has no attribute &#39;setRenderEngine&#39;

-d.vyd

edited February 2017

Hi, HD morphs is not usuall morphs. HD morphs can deform sub-divided mesh as morph , and it can import to daz studio. though the tool is only offered for daz vendor, I do not know the tool detail. We can just use HD morphs and see effect, with high resolution mesh.(apply sub-D).  

On the other hands, usuall morphs can only deform (move vertex) mesh with base default resolution, then we can import export morphs to another aprication, by import morphed obj , collada, or FBX,  with keep base resolution.  

HD morphs only work  in daz studio. if we hope to see the effeect of HD morphs, we need to import obj , with high resolution and bake morph effect.

Unfortunately I have never tried alembic exporter, because when I export daz figure to another apriation, I hope to import Figure with rig to pose free.  to tweak easy with tool  offered by each 3d aprication, which DS can not still offer me,  then About texture and mat, I doubt if Alembic  can not import them then convert it as Blender mat. (BI and Cycles nodes )

I know, import and export mat with texture between different renderer, and shader which use individual shader language is actually very difficult work.  eg MCJteleblender can not import iray mat and generate  cycles node well , maybe only diffuse color map can import well then generate node about iray (daz uber iray shader) mat, and I often need to set transparent to see Actor eye. 

But if you mainly use 3delight mat (maybe best work with daz default sahders, I did not many test with other shader for 3deleight, with MCJteleblender for daz figure) import it with MCJteleblender, it work best about static obj or animation.

I hope you to report  your problem to mCasuals about the erroer message with your setting of plug-in,  in the plug in topic.  You may get goot advice I believe.  his plug in seems best for your purpose.

it is one reason why I feel interesting about this new importer. (Though I mainly think, Thomas intend to import daz figure, with rig and for animation, not intend much for cycles mat etc,, but it already can generate  most of cycles nodes with each  textures correct way for cycles) generate map and those basic nodes can help me lot to tweak them  (eg adjust glossy, or set tranculcency, or more enhancemented fresenel nodes for hairs or add diplacement map etc),, I think this improter can not import displacement map, at current,,then may request it too,, because Current  blender can use OpenSubdiv.

• HD morphs only work  in daz studio. if we hope to see the effeect of HD morphs, we need to import obj , with high resolution and bake morph effect.

I'm not aware of any format that will carry an HD morph across, but other applications do have similar functions - look for multi-resolution morphs (or blend shapes) in the help for your application. Whether, given support for multi-resolution morphs, you could import an OBJ export of the HD shape and apply it as a new morph to the base mesh I wouldn't care to guess.

edited February 2017

Richard, I can not tnraslate well what you actually say about HD morph . you say,  " other applications do have similar functions ".

If you said about multi resolution modifier of blender?  Yes I can choose resolution and sculpt in blender, and can apply those defomation which fit to base resolution too.   then I can change current resolution with keep modifier, for each purpose.

but After all  I can not export those sculpted shape for daz studio as HD morphs. it can only move default resolution vertex ,after I apply sub-D  in daz studio, not reproduce the detail. Then I often see some vendors say  user who hope to get HD morph tool, you can make it with normal map etc,, but it is not morph which we can adjust value when I need. and If hope to make HD morphs for expression detail, or muscle detaill , which link with  joint rotation , I need to exchange map  for each expression or pose. 

And I can not import HD morphed shape to blender with keep low resolution.  after all I need to import mesh as real high resolution  mesh which already applied (baked) HD morphs to see the HD effect correclty.  It is simple fact, not complain. or other 3d apricaitons (Maya or 3ds MAX ,  MODO, Cinema 4D etc  )can import DAZ HD morph as morph ,then after apply sub-D, it can return detail?

• Yes, I was thinking of going from Daz Studio to Blender (or whichever application is being used). I wasn't sure whether Blender had multi-resolution morphs (though it seemed likely) nor how they worked - does Blender implement OpenSubDiv? I seem to recall theer were difficulties because of the different open-source models the two used.

• HD morphs only work  in daz studio. if we hope to see the effeect of HD morphs, we need to import obj , with high resolution and bake morph effect.

I'm not aware of any format that will carry an HD morph across, but other applications do have similar functions - look for multi-resolution morphs (or blend shapes) in the help for your application. Whether, given support for multi-resolution morphs, you could import an OBJ export of the HD shape and apply it as a new morph to the base mesh I wouldn't care to guess.

this is wht I started a thread asking for displacement maps as an alternative, since the PA's that use HD morphs claim they are as good and as easy to make from Zbrush etc, I cannot easily make them from their finished DAZ product.

I did not see anything in the DAZ documentation concerning HD morphs or the difficulty with exporting them. I will have to rethink my workflow. I notice that the Alembic Exporter for DAZ Studio costs $63 and has very little information available on the website. I will not buy it until I know more. Thank you for all your information everyone! 

AFK, about Blender multi resolution modifier can not keep it as morph (shape keys).  https://rightclickselect.com/p/sculpting/Hdbbbc/shape-keys-for-multi-resolution-modifier

If it could, there was opotunity to import HD morphs to blender as shape key, which can use with multi resolution modifier. 

Then I have one simple question, I believe I can import obj, collada, and FBX or MDD with keep HD morph effect as High poligon model

from daz studio, is it still right?   (that means, I can bake displacement or normal map from those High poligons)

or if  I had been miss understanding, there is no way to import HD morphed mesh with their detail? 

Because I plan it sometimes, but can not keep interesting about importing HD morphs.  then just think so, it should work.

• Then I have one simple question, I believe I can import obj, collada, and FBX or MDD with keep HD morph effect as High poligon model

from daz studio, is it still right?   (that means, I can bake displacement or normal map from those High poligons)

or if  I had been miss understanding, there is no way to import HD morphed mesh with their detail? 

Because I plan it sometimes, but can not keep interesting about importing HD morphs.  then just think so, it should work.

For OBJ, FBX (in my limited experience) exports only the base mesh and ignores SubD. Mdd would export the mesh as it was (HD) if that was convenient. Not sure about Collada.

edited March 2017

mmm,,,, at least,, I believe I could import sub-D applied mesh as obj and collada as high resolution to blender or 3d coat. because I often import high poligon genesis figures in blender, (just forget to return resolution as base), then surprise when I see wireframe, or check poligon counts.

Or,, even though I apply sub-D set as 2, in daz studio, and apply HD morphs,, then import as high poligon to blender ,it just change poligon count huge(sub divided), with base mesh vertex movement, but not change sub-divided vertex position?

(removed HD morph effect about sub divided vertex but only remain , default base mesh vertex morph effect?

It seems new disappointment about DAZ HD morphs, for me,, though I do not plan seriously import HD effect, with high resolution mesh. (without sculpt, I do not hope to import mesh as high resolution)

Hi Folks,

Being new to DAZ, I don't follow all the technical details in this conversation. But, it seems like people are saying that the MDD format permits exchange of morphs, HD morphs, and textures between DAZ and Blender, correct? If so, is this the only product to consider http://www.daz3d.com/mdd-file-format-for-carrara ?

Thank you,

-d. vyd

edited March 2017

dvyd, I really feel you may better ask daz suport clear, actually it can export HD effect as high resolution mesh or not, to get confirm.

Because I set MDD improter in blender, then test with a few product HD morphs which I have bought without knowing it is HD or not.

My test is like that, 

1. import as "obj" with sub-Divide high resolution, applied HD morphs.

I already hear,, exppoted obj will not keep sub-divided vertices movements, but the  HD morph clear change default base vertex too.

then it should only change default vertices, but  other sub-Divided vertices will be arranged as smooth (just sub-divided with algorithym) in daz studio). actually I get high poligon model.

2  export  as MDD (animate 2 offer plug in to export MDD I used it) from daz studio,  with keep sub-D full, and apply HD morphs.

if MDD can export sbu-divide vrtext movement as same as bese resolutkion vertices, it should keep the defomation as high resolution mesh.

3  Blender set keys in timeline, and generate shape keys . I do not know if my setting was not correct, but I can not see any differencebetween 2 high resolution mesh when check with wire flame mode.  If MDD can keep the HD morph effect about sub-divided mesh in daz studio,  it should be different, and I may see vertices  which sub-divided in daz studio move  with shape keys and timeline. but I still could not see clear diffrence.

maybe it may more clear, test with HD morph product which strongly change sub-divided vertex. but I afraid MDD can really record HDD morph effect as actuall vector value.   maybe if I compar obj and MDD which exported from daz studio both aplied HD morph and set sub-D,  it should be clear,, I think.

Then at least about blender MDD improter, it simply convert each frame vertices position as shape keys then generate "keys" which store shape key value,  on blender timeline, as animation.  it can not export texture or mat etc.. (or  it just genearte morph controller, about each frame) and I think it is MDD. 

Thank you for the detailed information and suggestions kitakoredaz, I will ask DAZ support.

edited March 2017

MDD export is a feature of animate2 which you need anyway to bake aniblocks.

The Carrara product is not for DAZ studio and Carrara does not do HD morphs anyway.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2017

Thanks wendy,, ,Carrara can load HD morphs seems  good news about HD morphs . So , Carrara user  feel happy about HD morphs.

And,, I now almost confirmed, there is no difference between OBJ and exported MMD,,,that means, MMD may not export HD effect, which imported to blender.

I tested more precisely (Use duplicate obj, then import MMD on to second mesh.)  I see MMD show me morph animation , then compare last frame MMD which applied HD morphs in daz studio with OBJ.

both are located different frame, but use same camera, and location. then render with full size. it seems perfect same. 

Most of HD morphs should include default mesh delta too. then we may easy get  feeling when see the effect in another aprication, then think if it is HD effect,, but I think it seems just see effect, which only move defalut resolution vertex and sub divided in daz studio. 

On the other hand,, I am now confusing, because,, even though I set render sub-D Level 4 for iray, and render with HD morphs, then compare it with cycles render, without any skin texture, or normal, bump, (which just imported as obj with high resolution applied HD morphs = only morphed by default mesh as same as other usuall morph,)  I can not see so clear difference ..

that was a typo sadly

I wrote does not load or do HD morphs anyway but somehow got it mixed up sorry

I see,,(TT ,  do not mind, and I will correct it too)

edited March 2017

dvyd, if you get reply from official suport team, please teach us detail.

I am thinking now if there is no format (As richard already said so,,) which can export all HD morph delta as vector value in code.

it is no matter, we keep high poligon (sub-D) then export or not.. . the problem is it actually export all delta or not what we can see in daz studio render.

I send ticket to techinical team about "Alembic exporter plug in and HD morph"

But I sometimes get reply about those kinds of product question  after half year later,  then hope other user ask samething to daz official ,

then if get clear answer, please tell us with detail. 

" Can  Alembic exporter plug in of DAZ studio) export all delta of HD morphs or not. "

(not just export base mesh delta, which will be sub-Dvided then exported  as high poligon mesh, in anotehr arpication) 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,775

"Mdd would export the mesh as it was (HD) if that was convenient?"

Hi I can confirm this as I export animated genesis figure
    to Maxon C4D for rendering Via MDD.

Hi folks. The DAZ team responded that they do not know of a way to export HD morphs and suggested trying any suggestions offered in this forum. So, WOLF359, can you explain what product you used for exporting from DAZ and what settings you used? All the details are present in the export including HD morphs and textures? Thank you for any info you can provide. 

-d. Vyd

well MDD no longer works for me in Blender either the python script or plugin changed as it used to.

I never tried HD morphs as they never existed when I used to use it.

Alembic works in Octane standalone, I have specifically used to render there with HD morphs but anything over 200 frames fails.

edited March 2017

At least, DAZ can confirm,,each exported format  from ds by daz offer plug ins, will record  morphed delta, about all current sub-Dvided vertices, which transformed by HD morphs,,, or not.

If exproted file not record delta as vector, moved by HD morph, about sub-divided mesh, only record delta of base resolution, and sub-Divided effect,,  there is no meaning to serch and ask another User.

simply DAZ can say,  there is no way to export HD morph effect ,as mesh, from daz studio.

I dare to say, maybe we can directly see HD morph dsf code, , then convert it. as morph for high poligion mesh. 

th3Ddigit, it sounds like Alembic exporter may work for me then because I only need to export a few frames at a time, perhaps even just one at a time. Alembic includes the mesh, HD morphs, and textures correct?

-d. vyd

dvyd said:

th3Ddigit, it sounds like Alembic exporter may work for me then because I only need to export a few frames at a time, perhaps even just one at a time. Alembic includes the mesh, HD morphs, and textures correct?

-d. vyd

if Blender can import it, I am not sure there is a py script for it not that I really looked.

I have only used it with Octane