New Carrara Promo Reel

Comments

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi,

Even the article you referenced had to admit that other, more critical facters were in play which led to some animated films being relatively unsuccessful.

That's 100% true, and, of course, everyone has a theory why the movie wasn't well received at the end. Quality is a general rule you consider or you don't consider. So, you can say: Quality is important. OR Budget is important. OR People talking in a reel is important. / In Tarzan, quality wasn't really important, so a lot of mistakes were made (not only one). But in my eyes, the biggest problem are faces with no emotions at all :)

Look at the Autodesk reel posted by Dart in the opening post.  At :52 and 1:20 are great examples of character realism (and there are others in that reel as well). Ditto the Cinema 4D reel, at 2:27.

At 1:20 I didn't see a face, but at 1:15. Do you mean that? Well, sorry to say that, but these are not renders. Not one of them devil / At :52, you see clearly that's about this abstract black-white thing on her shoulders. At 2:27, you can see it so clearly that it's a real human being... No way it's a render wink

But Carrara can also directly import Daz figures.  And that needs to be more heavily promoted.

No doubt about that. Use toon figues. Do BVH imports or whatever you want. But please don't zoom in on a face with no emotions at all cheeky

But if we get a really good animation of an ultra-real character doing something pleasing to the eye for a few seconds or even less... I'd be happy to use it. Just a really nicely animated wink could be really cool, for example. 

That could be done indeed.

For ultra-real renders, a panning still image can be used to show off how well Carrara can handle rendering high resolution figures. Even if it's something different... I think it's still very acceptable to mix stills in with animations. 

Yes, you can even create 2.5D photographs from normal renders to make them more pleasing to the eye.

Best wishes,
    Thomas

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi again,

Here is a render of a human being surprise

Can you see the difference?

Best wishes,
    Thomas

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Headwax on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited March 2017

Hi Dart maybe you  could start another thread and enititle it something like

'2017 Carrara Promo Reel'

;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

...he should jump on board to take part to the promo arrangement laughwink

Can't, too busy playing Uncharted 4 Online cheeky

love it, especially the environments winkyes

a couple of days ago won the drago d'oro prize 2017 in Rome, as best action/adventure game, best graphics and most voted by gamers laugh

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Hey Head Wax,

I'm good with ending the debate.  No animosity towards anyone at this end.

Rather, I learned something.  In terms of animations, all of those highlight reels are super heavy on non-character things.  So I suspect that many in the 3D world share Thomas's bias against human realism.  Or at least they limit it in the reels for fear of being criticised.

And yet, Uncharted 4 is incredibly successful.smiley

But this doesn't explain the relative absence of monsters and other organic creatures (dragons, etc)

So I wonder about that.  It's actually the same question, only broader.  Why so few realistic monsters?

edited March 2017

allright, back to the headline topic yes

UB, there are plenty of reels with monsters or human characters out of there, but if I had to make a promo of a software I would favour only original contents and not third parts products (like daz dragons or ten24 head scans..) unless you promote a render engine, this is my opinion anyway. About ultra realism in animation (you know this is what I'm looking for with carrara smiley), it needs hard work and multidisciplinary approach, hard to find a one-man show in this field of CGI. What you have in mind (BTW I agree with you on almost everything) needs a team of many

Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited March 2017

UB, there are plenty of reels with monsters or human characters out of there, but if I had to make a promo of a software I would favour only original contents and not third parts products (like daz dragons or ten24 head scans..) unless you promote a render engine, this is my opinion anyway.

Except!  Except that a major thing that makes Carrara unique and desirable is that it works easily with most Daz and Poser content.

If you go back and look at the Daz Carrara reel (which I liked fairly well) it was organized into topics.  It flashed a category on the screen, and then showed some examples of that category.

The categories were Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Rendering, Physics, Daz 3D Content Support (this is where they showed characters) and Particles.

Maybe there is a better way to name or organize the categories, but this seemed like the best of both worlds, no?

About ultra realism in animation (you know this is what I'm looking for with carrara smiley)

Actually, I didn't know for sure, as I am still pretty new here.  I kind of heard it implied, and I saw your terrific fly-through the Stonemason city, but this is the first concrete statement I have heard.  That's exciting!  How is it going?  Do you have any further work to share?

, it needs hard work and multidisciplinary approach, hard to find a one-man show in this field of CGI. What you have in mind (BTW I agree with you on almost everything) needs a team of many

A team?  How about you, Dart, and Stringtheory?  I'm very good at volunteering others for tasks that I am woefully underqualified to do.smiley

Anyway, I get your point, thanks.  I just somehow have a hunch, from things I have recently seen on the forum, that some pretty realistic characters are gonna make an appearance in this new reel.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

- you are right, for a carrara reel we need to emphasize where the software shines, with a focus on daz an poser contents; I was talking about all the other reels of course

- about my clip, well it's going on with what I own of Howie Farkes contents + I'd like to make a windy effect on a beautiful head scan by ten24 "dressed" in radiant jaguar hair, but, frankly speaking, I had "bad grades" for my video (see below) so I don't think it could come out so "terrific"

- as for the team, each of us is going to different directions more suited to individual inclinations, so working together could be pretty impossible

50.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 333K
    51.jpg
    1200 x 472 - 215K
    57.jpg
    1600 x 1816 - 1M
    2017-03-21_094147.jpg
    921 x 484 - 99K

- you are right, for a carrara reel we need to emphasize where the software shines, with a focus on daz an poser contents; I was talking about all the other reels of course

I get it now.  Sorry, I had read your earlier sentence very differently.  You were actually explaining why OTHER software manufacturers don't show creatures.  Sometimes internet communication is difficult.sad

my fault, I tend to be concise and lateral thinker (but maybe it's only my "lateral" english laugh)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Chohole said:
    head wax said:
    pmart868 said:

Hi To All, I have attached a couple of stills of my an idea I have for my next house. By the way I live in Trindad in the Caribbean. The car is the Spy Car 12 (Dreamscape-Creations) with a local number plate. I can't recall who I purchased the Patio set model from. The building was model in ArchiTool (Inagoni) plug-in for Carrara and rendered with Octane.

love how the laundry is nearly as big as the main bedroom

Comparing the size of the car, I think the bedrooms must be for dwarf sized beds. 

or Hobbitses?

cant go wrong demoing physics and caustics. was the physics demos attracted me to carrara

is there a deadline for sunbmitting reels ?

a still from my next clip showing HF's forest (as usual smiley), desaturation and defocus blur in post

forest.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

TanFastic!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,237
    MistyRara said:

Not yet ;)

MistyRara said:

Not yet ;)

kewl!  thanks.  

caffeine first 

Dart,  I've made a short animation for your promo reel.  I modeled the DAZ Tri Logo as used in Carrara 8.5 and hopefully creatively have it animated.  I hesitate to post it on YouTube yet as currently it is 640 x 360 and I plan a final at twice that.  I would like approval and suggestions for improvemen, what is not liked and so on.  Please let me how to proceed and if 1280x720 is fine.

i've seen balls bounce in demo reels

dunno, should be able to kick or headbutt a footy/soccer ball?

like if a particle emitter emits a ball and it stops moving,
    basically it's a particle at rest,
    it's still under bullet pysics?
    should be able to kick it to get it moving again?

or if like, nutley is under a pile of acorns, he can walk and the acorns could scatter out of his way?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,912
    edited April 2017

no particles are not affected or have any affect on physics.

Your character can kick a ball using physics

or use kittylitter

are videos, second has particle poop

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

...or also can be kicked using the particle emitter ;)

Particle emiiter has its own built in physics.

...and for the reel, while we are concerned with Carrara's abilities, the WOW and/or COOL factor is paramount. 

So in answer to WGDJohn, I'm not the only one here whom can determine the worthiness of something - I only say that because I'm so absent lately.

I already have Carrara and Daz3d 3D logos working, but if you have something cool... lets see it. But feel free to grab anyone to help judge if it's Wow... Cool!!!

yoo set the kitteh to be a force somehow?

lower gravity?

cool

So in answer to WGDJohn, I'm not the only one here whom can determine the worthiness of something - I only say that because I'm so absent lately.

I already have Carrara and Daz3d 3D logos working, but if you have something cool... lets see it. But feel free to grab anyone to help judge if it's Wow... Cool!!!

Well I don't know how Wow it is yet but to me it is Cool... it has each of the 3 tri parts entering the scene, tumbleing and finally coming together to form the stationary DAZ Tri Logo at the end.  I was thinking that you might consider it for the end of the Promo or anywhere you might want.  I want to work on it some more to perhaps give a bit of a Wow factor... perhaps give it different shader settings at various points during tumbling and/or after it is stationary.

I'll either post my example to Dropbox or YouTube.  I didn't know if you wanted a version, especially the final on YouTube, until the Promo was released.  You da boss... it won't bother me if it doesn't make the final cut. :)

Absolutely. If it's easier for you, you could PM me a link, or whatever works best for you ;)

Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it :)

Dart, I sent you a PM including links and further explaination.

yes

edited April 2017

Dart,  This is the beginning to my Tri Logo anim.  Please let me know if you are not happy with anything and I'll change it.

Tri_20_forAnim_02b.png
    640 x 360 - 435K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    wgdjohn said:

Dart,  This is the ending as is to my Tri Logo anim.  Please let me know if you are not happy with anything and I'll change it.

Do you have permission to use the Daz' logo?

Chohole, I do not. Didn't know I needed it. Please let me know what to do to get permission.  I got the design from Google and modeled an object from it. If you say so I'll remove the pic.