Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...silly question, what does the Player actually do? Does it need the main plugin?

The player allows, through its pane, to load, change some properties and render LAMH presets. It doesn't obviously allow to edit and style hairs.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...silly question, what does the Player actually do? Does it need the main plugin?

The player doesn't need the full LAMH version and allows, through its pane, to load, change some properties and render LAMH presets.
    It doesn't obviously allow to edit and style hairs.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited December 1969

...the presets that are available on the main site, correct?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the presets that are available on the main site, correct?

Correct, here is the link to the preset page: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/

edited December 1969

....thanks.

• acocq_0801c2dc51acocq_0801c2dc51 Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

[Post deleted]

P.S.: nothing like hitting the wrong button several times, is there ?

Post edited by acocq_0801c2dc51 on
    edited May 2013

Double post ...

Post edited by acocq_0801c2dc51 on
    edited December 1969

[Post deleted by author]

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

A quick render of my first custom Look At My Hair creation...sort of a mutton-chop style. I have a few projects going on that would benefit from Look At My Hair, so I decided it's time to learn. Genesis (Phoenix1966's Thomas character), 3Delight with UE2. Used the AO shader option.

Any feedback is welcome...I know I have a lot to learn. :) When I get better I'll gladly share some presets.

chopstest1a.jpg
    485 x 800 - 194K
    edited December 1969

Another render of this...this time on M5, with the Advanced shader and a different color preset. Also used Paul Hair out of curiosity how the two would look together. Note that the mustache, chin hairs, etc. are part of the texture, not done with Look At My Hair.

Forgot to mention: hair count is 3000

chopstest2a.jpg
    618 x 800 - 239K
  • edited December 1969

Beautiful renders, and I love that hair style.

edited December 1969

Another render of this...this time on M5, with the Advanced shader and a different color preset. Also used Paul Hair out of curiosity how the two would look together. Note that the mustache, chin hairs, etc. are part of the texture, not done with Look At My Hair.

Looks good ... can you give some more info on the render settings ?

Every time I play around with LAMH, I get "smudged" hair instead of the clean render you get ... obviously, it is something that I am not doing correctly, but after spending a few hours experimenting, I am no wiser than before :ohh:

I've been playing also with Garibaldi (which I also purchased) and am getting better render results than with LAMH ... clearly not a case of LAMH not being capable ... it's me, I know.

Also, I am amazed that you get that result with a hair count of 3000 !!!!

Cheers,
    Andreas

edited December 1969

Alessandro,

when I want to "import" the object into LAMH from the scene, I have a difficult time differentiating which Genesis character is which ...

I have a scene with two (identical) Genesis characters (Thomas). In the scene tree, I have given them different Names (e.g. LAMH_Thomas and Thomas).

When I add a LAMH object , go into editing LAMH and then want to select the object to import, I see "Genesis" listed twice and I have no clue which one is "LAMH_Thomas" and which one is "Thomas". Later, when I export back to DAZ, it shows me the "real" name.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Cheers,
    Andreas

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Andreas_C said:
    Alessandro,

when I want to "import" the object into LAMH from the scene, I have a difficult time differentiating which Genesis character is which ...

I have a scene with two (identical) Genesis characters (Thomas). In the scene tree, I have given them different Names (e.g. LAMH_Thomas and Thomas).

When I add a LAMH object , go into editing LAMH and then want to select the object to import, I see "Genesis" listed twice and I have no clue which one is "LAMH_Thomas" and which one is "Thomas". Later, when I export back to DAZ, it shows me the "real" name.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Cheers,
    Andreas

LAMH 1.0 uses the figure name, and not the Label. In this case, you'll need to add the LAMH to the desired figure before loading the 2nd genesis. LAMH 1.05+ uses the Figure's Label which is more descriptive.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Andreas_C said:

Looks good ... can you give some more info on the render settings ?

Every time I play around with LAMH, I get "smudged" hair instead of the clean render you get ... obviously, it is something that I am not doing correctly, but after spending a few hours experimenting, I am no wiser than before :ohh:

I've been playing also with Garibaldi (which I also purchased) and am getting better render results than with LAMH ... clearly not a case of LAMH not being capable ... it's me, I know.

Also, I am amazed that you get that result with a hair count of 3000 !!!!

Cheers,
    Andreas

Hmm. Well I'm still pretty new at this...but I have a feeling that the lack of smudge in my renders may have something to do with the low hair count and hair thickness (170 at roots, 150 at tips as I recall). I don't think I adjusted the density at all, so it's at the default setting. I started with a hair count of 5000 and thinner hair, but it didn't look right (at least judging by my own facial hair, it's thicker and not as dense as my head hair).

Render settings are pretty much DS defaults...I think I changed the shading rate to 0.20 for the M5 render, but I'm a different computer at the moment so I can't confirm that.

Thanks for your kind words about it! Going to try something more ambitious next, but it may take me a while...

edited December 1969

...can you add a curl factor to it?
    edited December 1969

....can you add a curl factor to it?
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

....can you add a curl factor to it?
    For the character I'm working on I wanted to keep it fairly straight, but it does have a slight curl factor to it already. It would probably be more realistic in general if it were a bit curlier. I'll experiment with that...
    edited December 1969

...great, thanks.

edited December 1969

I'll show a render later on. Do you have a color preference, or a character preference?

edited December 1969

...nah, just ant to see how it handles a natural curl effect.

edited May 2013

How are these?

chops3b.jpg
    618 x 800 - 190K
    chops3a.jpg
    618 x 800 - 199K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Looking pretty good IMHO.

I'm still having a dickens of a time trying to get LAMH to work for me in any satisfactory fashion.

I downloaded the "ClintShortSmoothHair" preset and loaded it into LAMH, exported it to DAZ and what I get is someone who has a serious issue with hairloss :roll: (see pics - 1. with standard settings, 2. with increased haircount from 6300 to 20000)

I've also played with the hair width, but it really hasn't done anything noticeable. Since I can see your results, obviously, I am still doing something wrong (although at this point, I am not sure what that would be ... especially since I get good results with Garibaldi - see pic - it does have different lighting, but that's the result with the standard settings).

Any help would be appreciated ...

Cheers,
    Andreas

Gari_01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 427K
    LAMH_03.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 355K
    LAMH_01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 346K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Number of hair is essential. Plug 100K-120K of hair on human head (the actual hair count), and see what difference it makes.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@Scott-Livingston: wow, really good job!

edited December 1969

Strange ... something seems wrong with my LAMH installation (maybe) ...

I just started up DAZ Studio and loaded a scene that contains one Genesis character (Stefan) and one LAMH object. The object was attached to Stefan before I saved the scene to disk (and actually was used in the above render).

Now I see the two objects in the scene tree, but no hair guides show up on screen.

How do I go about editing the LAMH object ? I tried creating a new LAMH object and that brought up the LAMH window, but when I tried to load anything, DAZ Studio crashed.

Weird ...

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Andreas

edited December 1969

Try to remove the object from the scene, then go to LAMH, and load the hairy preset anew.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Try to remove the object from the scene, then go to LAMH, and load the hairy preset anew.

Yeah, did that ... but that can't be the normal operating procedure, can it ?

And I am still getting "smudge hair" :-/

edited December 1969

At this stage, yes it is. Alessandro has spoken something about making it easier, I think? Gotta wait for the word of developers about upcoming improvements.

The default hair width and tip width is good for human hair, just have some 120K of them around and definitely apply nice lights as well. Check the coloration values (FYI, you can also apply shaders to hair! Try some from Gemologica for REALLY wild results!), too.

edited December 1969

Any recommendation for "nice lights" ?

When I increase the haircount to 120K, I get extreme smudging ... and I am also confused because Scott-Livingston said that he only used a hair count of some 3k ... there's definitely something I don't understand !

Check out the two pics (hair count is 50K at that point) ... I just rotated the perspective view ... notice on the first one, that the beard on the left side of the head looks "weird" ... but looks OK, when after I rotate the view ...

How do I apply different shaders to the hair ? Within LAMH, I see the Standard, Advanced and Occlusion shader options.

Cheers,
    Andreas

LAMH_06.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 308K
    LAMH_05.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 302K