DAZ Studio Pro, Version 4.5.1.56, is Now Available!

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Newbie question- I installed the new version, but noticed I only had installation guides for Texture Atlas, FBX Exporter, and Content Creator Toolkit. No files. If they are included IN the studio, (question I asked months ago, and I believe people said they were) then why are these installation guides included?
    Because we haven't removed them. They used to be separate installers, that is no longer the case.
  • Ashtray82Ashtray82 Posts: 14
    edited January 2013

Aaaaaaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhh

This is seriously doing my head in!!!

Everything working perfectly until I upgraded from one version of 4.5 to the latest one now all smart content has gone and the search doesn't work.

CMS is running in the task manager but not working in Daz and I cannot even reset the database in Daz. None of the commands in the Content Database Management do anything whatsoever.

Really wish I had not upgraded and stuck with my working version.

I uninstalled the CMS before doing the upgrade as suggested in another thread then installed Daz and the Genesis essentials starter kit but didn't manually uninstall Daz as another thread said it is done automatically and it did say it was uninstalling the previous version.

All my content is there but I cannot search for stuff and the smart content is empty even though the CMS is running according to my task manager.

I am tearing my hair out so anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have these problems too, I've just checked my Daz logs, are these things showing up in yours? I've just searched abit on it and it could be an AV program interfering with it I guess? I use Comodo and MSE, will have to see if it's one of those.

WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Select error: File "%S" is already open.
    DB Select error: File "%S" is already open.

WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Insert error: "FILE: ..\..\sources\VKernel\Fbl\prot\Structure\VarChar\FBL_VarCharFile.cpp FUNCTION: fbl::VarCharFile::BinarySearch LINE: 497" Varchar data "" is corrupted.

I've done some digging and found a link that I'm going to try

http://daz3dstudiolibrary.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/daz3d-studio-4-tips-and-tricks-content-management-service/

Post edited by Ashtray82 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

I'm also getting the problem that DS is not always shutting down completly, it closed but the task Manager shows it still running.

Sorry but this build seems to be very iffy, lots of little things just don't work right.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    edited December 1969

I'm also getting the problem that DS is not always shutting down completly, it closed but the task Manager shows it still running.

Sorry but this build seems to be very iffy, lots of little things just don't work right.

That can't be! It's not a beta! %-P

Dana

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

That can't be! It's not a beta! %-P

Dana

LOL

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...I remember older versions of Studio staying in memory for up to fifteen minutes (and sometimes forever as it would hang up at times requiring having to close the process through Task Manager). Seems like one of the old memory management issues has resurfaced in this build.

Think I'll stick with my current version for now as several of the fixes involve features I don't use much anyway. The only thing that made me consider upgrading was the updated version of the 3Delight render engine.

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    New build is much faster.. right up until it crashes on me. It is some sort of 3delight error and I have a feeling its not so much a studio issue as a Lauren issue. I installed the beta and somehow did not uninstall the previous version. So for the last little while I have had the beta (which crashed) and the older version side by side. I didn't fiddle because the old version was still working and I needed to get some work done. What all do I need to seek and destroy in order to get a functional version back? I did uninstall the beta (via windows programs uninstall) and have uninstalled and installed the new release twice now.

It depends on how far you want to go for a clean install. I usually perform the following:

Uninstall DS4. Make sure you uninstall all the plug-ins, etc. Once everything is uninstalled, make sure you have no DAZStudio4 directories in either or both:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D
    C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D

Also stop the Content Manager Service and uninstall. Goto

%ProgramData%\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

in Windows Explorer, and delete the database files.

Reboot. Before reinstalling, open Regedit. Do a search for Keys only, using this as the search string:

Studio4

Do a search in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

It should find the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DAZ\Studio4

Right-click on Studio4 in the left pane, and select Delete.

Reboot once again, and re-install. You will need to re-import your directories, Metadata, etc, in DS4 as all the settings are now gone.

ONLY DO REGISTRY PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

What's the difference between this version of DS and 4.5.1.49? I am using that one and have noticed the Scene File Bloat that others are talking about. I want to try what you are mentioning here but am unsure of which version to use.

This version or 4.5.1.49...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There have been a number of additional fixes since the 4.5.1.49 BETA. This version is 'general release', meaning it's not a beta version, but rather an official update.

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Okay cool... I understand that now so I will install this version then.

To DoctorJellyBean and his/her uninstall and install directions... will I have to uninstall the Content as well? Models, morphs, textures, and what not.
    If so, this could get tedious... I want to reinstall DS and possibly wipe out the Database for CMS. My scene files take way too long to open now. Anywhere from 10 to 16 minutes when opening a file... its very annoying and leaves me not wanting to use Daz Studio at all, especially when I get some new ideas for existing scenes.

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    New build is much faster.. right up until it crashes on me. It is some sort of 3delight error and I have a feeling its not so much a studio issue as a Lauren issue. I installed the beta and somehow did not uninstall the previous version. So for the last little while I have had the beta (which crashed) and the older version side by side. I didn't fiddle because the old version was still working and I needed to get some work done. What all do I need to seek and destroy in order to get a functional version back? I did uninstall the beta (via windows programs uninstall) and have uninstalled and installed the new release twice now.

It depends on how far you want to go for a clean install. I usually perform the following:

Uninstall DS4. Make sure you uninstall all the plug-ins, etc. Once everything is uninstalled, make sure you have no DAZStudio4 directories in either or both:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D
    C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D

Also stop the Content Manager Service and uninstall. Goto

%ProgramData%\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

in Windows Explorer, and delete the database files.

Reboot. Before reinstalling, open Regedit. Do a search for Keys only, using this as the search string:

Studio4

Do a search in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

It should find the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DAZ\Studio4

Right-click on Studio4 in the left pane, and select Delete.

Reboot once again, and re-install. You will need to re-import your directories, Metadata, etc, in DS4 as all the settings are now gone.

ONLY DO REGISTRY PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
    ...so how effective is this without doing the registry part?

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I'm running this latest version (4.5.1.56) and it's been pretty stable for me compared to version 4 and earlier 4.5 and I"m glad I updated (except for the humungous increase in size of the duf files). I also don't seem to have the problem of Studio hanging around after I close it like I had in earlier version(s). But I don't set up categories and the only metadata I allow is for Genesis stuff I install directly into My LIbrary as well as morphs, shaders, cameras, and lights.

Which brings me to my question. The metadata is inconsistent and the final blow for me was installing Hiro 5 Pro and whatever else I got for him then discovering I couldn't even find half the stuff in Smart Content and had a horrible time finding the stuff browsing the well more than 100 folders in the Clothing directory named mainly by vendor and never did find a couple of the characters skins that I know I installed.

What I want to do first is forego metadata for clothing, props and accessories and their corresponding materials in the future, rearrange and rename existing folders inside People/Genesis/Clothing and place corresponding materials, props, etc. within those folders. I plan to name the folders with the Clothing name_vendor like I do in my runtime folders. I will do the same for standalone props and scenesets. Most everything else I'll still allow metadata for at least for the time being.

(Q) Is it sufficient to go ahead and organize then tell the database manager to remove orphan files? or am I entering dangerous territory here?

I'll leave worrying about My Library/Presets/Characters and Presets/Materials and My Library/People/Genesis/Characters and Presets until I understand more about how they're used.

edited December 1969

....yeah, I'm still wondering how to create a custom setup in 4.5.

In previous versions it was fairly easy, as most everything installed into the runtime tree. I could freely rename. create new folders, and even move the "Daz only" content (like LDP Lantios lights etc) into the the main runtime structure without worry, as long as I didn't mess with anything in geometry, data, and textures folders.

With this new library structure things are different. How I read it, anything related to Genesis has to go in the same folder with Genesis. So it makes me wonder if it also needs to retain its current filename as well to work properly.

In a way I guess the Library structure is an improvement over the original Daz/Content folder which was pretty much a disorganised mess compared to the runtime tree.

Another concern is placing the library on a different drive . The new workstation has a fast 250G boot drive where the main applications will reside, and a 1 TB drive intended for the libraries/runtimes. Does Genesis (and all related content) need to be in the same folder as the 4.5 application or can it be on the D drive as long as it is correctly mapped in the preferences tab?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

In previous versions it was fairly easy, as most everything installed into the runtime tree. I could freely rename. create new folders, and even move the "Daz only" content (like LDP Lantios lights etc) into the the main runtime structure without worry, as long as I didn't mess with anything in geometry, data, and textures folders.

With this new library structure things are different. How I read it, anything related to Genesis has to go in the same folder with Genesis. So it makes me wonder if it also needs to retain its current filename as well to work properly.

In a way I guess the Library structure is an improvement over the original Daz/Content folder which was pretty much a disorganised mess compared to the runtime tree.

Another concern is placing the library on a different drive . The new workstation has a fast 250G boot drive where the main applications will reside, and a 1 TB drive intended for the libraries/runtimes. Does Genesis (and all related content) need to be in the same folder as the 4.5 application or can it be on the D drive as long as it is correctly mapped in the preferences tab?

Now that they've finally split the genesis starter essentials off as a separate download and installer you can put it anywhere you want. The only constraint is that ALL the assorted 'characters' - V5, M5, Hitomi, and the like are morphs to the base genesis figure so they need to be installed to the same directory.

I set up a 'gen5' directory and dumped them all in there. Studio proper is on my C: drive, but the CMS database and all my content (including the starter set bundled in the Studio installer) are on my D: drive.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If your looking to catagorize your DS content I suggest using this system adam001 is giving away as a freebie. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15192/

edited December 1969

...thanks that's good news. So when I install the GenX plugin and the "legacy" body shapes, those would all have to go into the same folder as well?

Also do you have to give the primary folder the "Library" label for the app to find it?

edited December 1969

I have touched nothing, not one file, in my Library. Everything is as it was installed. Everything Genesis I install directly to My Library which is where Studio set it up.

All I want to do is find my stuff!

Seriously.

Doesn't bother me at all if I never see the 'Smart Content' tab again. Shaders, Lights, Cameras, Morphs, Shapes are another story which would be unproductive to mess with and is why I want to touch only Clothes, Accessories, Props, and their corresponding mat files and possibly animals.

All I want to know is how to handle current metadata for the stuff I move/rename and, I guess, I have to add 'what about the uninstallers'. My first instinct is to go ahead and do it, then tell the cms to kill all the orphans.

As for the uninstallers *I* will know all my clothes and related accessories I have to deal with myself if there's an update, but will the uninstaller uninstall 'data' even if it doesn't find the other files?

I absolutely love Studio and 4.5 specifically and find little tweaks every day that make life easier. But I need a little help here to be sure I can find my stuff when browsing the Content folders otherwise it just gets too frustrating.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...thanks that's good news. So when I install the GenX plugin and the "legacy" body shapes, those would all have to go into the same folder as well?

Also do you have to give the primary folder the "Library" label for the app to find it?

Call it anything you want - you'll need to define the path(s) to Studio, just like in Version 3.

edited January 2013

Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If your looking to catagorize your DS content I suggest using this system adam001 is giving away as a freebie. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15192/
    ...[hate trying to comment while downloading, makes even my "search and destroy" typing style seem lightning fast.]

Read through the instructions, seems it works when you already have 4.5 and everything installed and on the same drive. I am doing a totally new install on a new machine but with the content libraries on a different drive than the main boot (C:) drive. there will be no "My Documents" folder on that drive so I'm not sure how the CMS will handle building the database or if metadata will even work.

As I will also have 3.1.2.32Advanced installed (for working with older content that doesn't play well with 4.5) I will still have the standard Poser runtime structure to deal with as well. that will be easy as I can simply map that. My concern is what needs to stay in the "My Documents" folder for 4.5 to work properly.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

At this point, I don't really care about the actual directories the content is in...as long as things aren't getting nested/duplicated/etc and the item can find all it's bits and pieces...I just don't care any more. There are way too many 'DS doesn't NEED this/that/the other thing' and 'But this MUST go there' to worry about 'right/wrong/it doesn't look good there'. It's NEVER going to look pretty and NEVER going to make sense...there are too many different generations of content, in too many differing structures (that were RIGHT at the time, mind you...but now are WRONG) and too little enforcing of previous standards for it to be anything BUT a mess...and yes, even some things have changed places since the start of the 4.x series of DS...so you don't even have to go THAT far back, and that's just DS specific...the Poser side of things is even more convoluted/messy).

I'm slowly working on categorizing the content within DS how I want it to be...in other words, totally ignoring the premade/default categories and putting things in a format that makes sense to me...then once I get that done, anything new will be made to conform to MY preferences. That's the whole purpose of the CMS...at least as far as I see it.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...[hate trying to comment while downloading, makes even my "search and destroy" typing style seem lightning fast.]

Read through the instructions, seems it works when you already have 4.5 and everything installed and on the same drive. I am doing a totally new install on a new machine but with the content libraries on a different drive than the main boot (C:) drive. there will be no "My Documents" folder on that drive so I'm not sure how the CMS will handle building the database or if metadata will even work.

My CMS database lives at D:\CMSDB; my content is all under D:\S4stuff; directories include s4base (stuff that came in the Studio 4 installer); Gen5; Gen4; Gen3; Animal; Plant; Prop; Scene and so forth. Metadata works just fine. The metadata installs to \runtime\support - so the Genesis metadata on my system lives at d:\S4stuff\Gen5\runtime\support - and that's how Studio knows where the related items live.

edited December 1969

...so I can direct the CMS to the D: drive during the install process then, even if the main app is on the C: boot drive?

So do the Texture, Data and Geometry folders stay on the same drive as the app? Don't want to end up running into a lot of " not found" errors.

With the Poser Pro libraries it sounds so much easier as everything is still nicely contained within the "classic" runtime structure, so I just have to point the app to where it is on the D Drive.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so I can direct the CMS to the D: drive during the install process then, even if the main app is on the C: boot drive?

So do the Texture, Data and Geometry folders stay on the same drive as the app? Don't want to end up running into a lot of " not found" errors.

With the Poser Pro libraries it sounds so much easier as everything is still nicely contained within the "classic" runtime structure, so I just have to point the app to where it is on the D Drive.

Texture, Data, and Geometry directories stay under their respective parent directories, wherever they are. For my Gen5 directory the Texture and Geometry live under Gen5\Runtime and the data directly under Gen5.

edited December 1969

...could you post a sceenshot of how this looks in windows? I'm sort of following it but still have a few questions.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...could you post a sceenshot of how this looks in windows? I'm sort of following it but still have a few questions.

It'll have to be later tonight - I'm off at my wi-fi hotspot downloading currently. I'd give you a shot of my laptop, but it's all on the c: drive as that'[s the only drive I've got on it.

edited December 1969

...doing the same myself (at a hotspot downloading).

later will be fine.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    At this point, I don't really care about the actual directories the content is in...as long as things aren't getting nested/duplicated/etc and the item can find all it's bits and pieces...I just don't care any more. There are way too many 'DS doesn't NEED this/that/the other thing' and 'But this MUST go there' to worry about 'right/wrong/it doesn't look good there'. It's NEVER going to look pretty and NEVER going to make sense...there are too many different generations of content, in too many differing structures (that were RIGHT at the time, mind you...but now are WRONG) and too little enforcing of previous standards for it to be anything BUT a mess...and yes, even some things have changed places since the start of the 4.x series of DS...so you don't even have to go THAT far back, and that's just DS specific...the Poser side of things is even more convoluted/messy).

I'm slowly working on categorizing the content within DS how I want it to be...in other words, totally ignoring the premade/default categories and putting things in a format that makes sense to me...then once I get that done, anything new will be made to conform to MY preferences. That's the whole purpose of the CMS...at least as far as I see it.

I disagree. It's certainly NOT about being pretty, it's about finding stuff with the least amount of trouble. If you also used Poser and thus were dependent on its runtime/library structure and its modifications it's a different story, but if you use Studio then for years it was easy no matter what the content was to organize stuff in runtime/libraries/character. No other libraries needed. Your DS mats could go in with the Poser mats. If you needed to get the DS mats by installing a Studio version you could install into the same runtime which meant no duplicate textures, transfer the DS mats to the Poser folders, then delete the data and whatever. Or if you wanted the Studio stuff to reside in Content, you could move it over and not worry where you put it.

If you had something that was Studio Only or wanted to use the Studio version instead of the Poser version, same deal. Install to a temp directory and organize the content how you wanted inside Content. The vendors were not consistent about this so you had to organize things. You'd have scene sets under props, or under architecture, or under architecture/props or under the vendor name. That's no way to run an airline.

It was easy though and I've been doing it for literally YEARS.

Metadata has changed all that even though vendors and/or DAZ are still inconsistent about where they stuff stuff thinking it doesn't matter because, well, Smart Content will find it all. It doesn't though because there are errors and omissions in the Metadata itself. And you're stuck with it for fear of breaking the system.

And further, it's like no other stores exist.

Metadata is great on paper and works for some people using the CMS/category system but not all, and especially those like me who have been around since the stores first existed and have tons and tons of content.

I don't want to take it away from YOU, I just want more flexibility for ME. I want to know what I can safely bypass and what I can't. There is no way in hell I'm going to categorize all my content.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

it’s like no other stores exist.

Has absolutely nothing to do with stores but rather with what the person who creates the product does or does not do as far as adding the necessary files.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited January 2013

Drated double post!

Post edited by Khory on
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    it’s like no other stores exist.

Has absolutely nothing to do with stores but rather with what the person who creates the product does or does not do as far as adding the necessary files.

Khory, actually it does. I'm not concerned with shaders and shader presets since those are fine and can be found and used easily enough, but clothing, props, and scenesets and their textures are another matter. Anything that normally would have metadata but doesn't. Even DAZ stuff often has metadata that shows up in unexpected places in Smart Content or doesn't show up at all.

So it is necessary to be able to easily find stuff in, for example, the People/Genesis/Clothing directory metadata or not and the user has to have confidence to be able to rename folders and move mat files inside without messing everything up. A few months after installing I don't want to have to look something up to see if I got it at DAZ or Rendo or RDNA in which case I can probably rename the folder NameOfOutfit_Vendor if I neglected to do that on installation without breaking the system.

I think though that metadata and categories make it easy for kit bashing but I simply have too much content to categorize everything.

edited December 1969

...I'm beginning to feel I need to hire an IT specialist to set everything up the way I want it.

Almost wish they would have stuck with the old runtime structure. It was a lot easier to customise.