Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

1457910101

Comments

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    Subsurface Workshop-SSS Shaders for Iray)

    So a test sphere- some really lovely results. These are all Liquid, out of the box. Aloe Vera, Blood, Grapefruit Juice, Coconut Oil, Milk Chocolate, (dang it, just ate a KitKat bar...)  Strawberry Milk, Mustard, Raw Honey,(WOW) Shampoo, Orange Juice, Handsoap 

    Clear winners for being unique- Love that Raw Honey, Shampoo, Orange Juice-  with Raw Honey and Orange Juice really standing out IMO.

    Raw Honey, then Orange Juice (if that wasn't liquid, it reminds me of a peach!) 

    Then you can play with the subsurface scale, scattered measurement distance, and translucency weight. (Mine was 10, 10, .40)  This was the result on Orange Juice.

     

    shaderAloeVeraGel.png
    400 x 400 - 122K
    shaderBlood.png
    400 x 400 - 107K
    shaderGrapefruitJuice.png
    400 x 400 - 123K
    shaderCoconut Oil.png
    400 x 400 - 110K
    shaderChocolate.png
    400 x 400 - 106K
    shaderStrawberryMilk.png
    400 x 400 - 112K
    shaderMustard.png
    400 x 400 - 90K
    shaderRawHoney.png
    400 x 400 - 113K
    shaderShampoo.png
    400 x 400 - 107K
    shaderHandsoap.png
    400 x 400 - 128K
    shaderOrangeJuice.png
    400 x 400 - 109K
    shaderOrangeJuice2.png
    400 x 400 - 106K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432

    I have those.  Now I have to go dig them out.

    Just a heads up, anyone who is waiting on the Kadis Armour from Strangefate, its being released on the 8th of February so in 4 days it should hit the store.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

    Okay, who is Adarella 7?  Listed here. Is that a typo?  I really like that dress, the materials are very pretty. It's a sexy but classy dress and looks very fluid.  Like the shoes too. And yep, Fast Grab finally changed.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 14,851
    Novica said:

    Okay, who is Adarella 7?  Listed here. Is that a typo?  I really like that dress, the materials are very pretty. It's a sexy but classy dress and looks very fluid.  Like the shoes too. And yep, Fast Grab finally changed.

    Arabella?
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

    Boy, they really butchered that one, didn't they?!!!

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 14,851
    edited February 2017
    Novica said:

    Boy, they really butchered that one, didn't they?!!!

    Well, let's see... take the d and flip it around into a b. Then rearrange the letters...
    Post edited by barbult on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    Well, then there's this. I first did a Google search to be sure I wasn't losing my mind. Was too lazy to go through the New Character thread LOL. I knew this wasn't an upcoming Daz character! (A bit of Aiko mixed with....?) 

    adarella.png
    837 x 180 - 237K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 6,833

    I've done that a lot, put an image on a plane to go behind, say, a fence. Usually works tho i had an odd experience the other night where the image went on it sideways! I couldn't for the life of me figure it out, how that happened. I had to rotate the plane to get it looking right.  

    Novica said:

    I just answered someone's question (not sure if this was what they wanted, but they got it, lol)

    We covered this on the last thread, and dang it, I should render a bunch of scenes then use them... A reminder: If you want to use your own 3d products to make a background-

    Render a scene (be aware of your size, make it large- comparable to the plane you want to put it on.) You create a primitive plane, (I did mine 20 feet)  then select the plane in Scene and Surface pane, then in Surface- Diffuse,  browse to the image file and put it on the plane. Then it's a backdrop. 

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    Retail Clerk Outfit doesn't pass muster for me. First thought- painted on pants. Very few wrinkles, coupled with a wedgie. And those sketched in pocket lines? I had to look closely, on our right side it looked like a horizontal bar and I wondered about one lone wrinkle morph, but it's the bottom line of a pocket with one slight pucker. The one on our left side is not impressive. A line. 

    These remind me of elongated jockey pants/jodphurs, except those often have extra panels to prevent rubbing on the inner thights and hiney. If this were part of a Eastern riding outfit, it would be passable. These are jodphurs. Except for the pockets being at the waist, look like the retail pants (only the jodphurs have wrinkles at the bottom, more realistic!) 

    FWJK Lien HD for Mie Lin 7       Apple Hair (Gen3F)    

    Not pants or shirts, but if you like nice details, Rain Boots (Gen2/3)  delivers. But of course, it's a Dogz. I like that the Casual Tourist top goes with the ocean theme of the boots! For the pants, it says SHTUR pants in scene, and I did this last week so now I'm guessing what the heck those are. Any ideas? They fit nicely in the boots with a minimal amount of tweaking. (Enlarge the boots a tad.)  I mentioned last week I was going to show these, and the boots would be good for barn scenes (even on a sunny day.) 

    Apple Hair is a unique type hair, very spikey strands, not quite sure how to describe it. It's a nice change-up from an OOT sleek approach.

        

     

    jodphurs.jpg
    800 x 800 - 89K
    LienRainBootsAppleHair3.png
    600 x 1000 - 943K
    LienRainBootsAppleHair.png
    443 x 1000 - 680K
    LienRainBootsAppleHair2.png
    600 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

    Retail Clerk Outfit doesn't pass muster for me. First thought- painted on pants. Very few wrinkles, coupled with a wedgie. And those sketched in pocket lines? I had to look closely, on our right side it looked like a horizontal bar and I wondered about one lone wrinkle morph, but it's the bottom line of a pocket with one slight pucker. The one on our left side is not impressive. A line. 

    These remind me of elongated jockey pants/jodphurs, except those often have extra panels to prevent rubbing on the inner thights and hiney. If this were part of a Eastern riding outfit, it would be passable. These are jodphurs. Except for the pockets being at the waist, look like the retail pants (only the jodphurs have wrinkles at the bottom, more realistic!)

    They are described as leggings on the product page, rather than pants/trousers.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

     

    Novica said:

    Retail Clerk Outfit doesn't pass muster for me. First thought- painted on pants. Very few wrinkles, coupled with a wedgie. And those sketched in pocket lines? I had to look closely, on our right side it looked like a horizontal bar and I wondered about one lone wrinkle morph, but it's the bottom line of a pocket with one slight pucker. The one on our left side is not impressive. A line. 

     

    They are described as leggings on the product page, rather than pants/trousers.

    Leggings do not have pockets. Those are called jeggings, if they're trying to pass these off as such. 

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 10,544
    Novica said:

    Retail Clerk Outfit doesn't pass muster for me. First thought- painted on pants. Very few wrinkles, coupled with a wedgie. And those sketched in pocket lines? I had to look closely, on our right side it looked like a horizontal bar and I wondered about one lone wrinkle morph, but it's the bottom line of a pocket with one slight pucker. The one on our left side is not impressive. A line. 

    These remind me of elongated jockey pants/jodphurs, except those often have extra panels to prevent rubbing on the inner thights and hiney. If this were part of a Eastern riding outfit, it would be passable. These are jodphurs. Except for the pockets being at the waist, look like the retail pants (only the jodphurs have wrinkles at the bottom, more realistic!) 

     

    FWJK Lien HD for Mie Lin 7       Apple Hair (Gen3F)    

    Not pants or shirts, but if you like nice details, Rain Boots (Gen2/3)  delivers. But of course, it's a Dogz. I like that the Casual Tourist top goes with the ocean theme of the boots! For the pants, it says SHTUR pants in scene, and I did this last week so now I'm guessing what the heck those are. Any ideas? They fit nicely in the boots with a minimal amount of tweaking. (Enlarge the boots a tad.)  I mentioned last week I was going to show these, and the boots would be good for barn scenes (even on a sunny day.) 

    Apple Hair is a unique type hair, very spikey strands, not quite sure how to describe it. It's a nice change-up from an OOT sleek approach.

        

     

     

    I adore those boots! Thank you for rendering them and highlighting them. Wishlisted! :)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 14,851

    I think it is a bit unrealistic to think retail clerks would be wearing flip flops. It doesn't happen in any stores I visit in Florida.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    barbult said:

    I think it is a bit unrealistic to think retail clerks would be wearing flip flops. It doesn't happen in any stores I visit in Florida.

    LOL, I didn't even get that far down to notice! And I learned a new word- jeggings. I looked up "do leggings have pockets" in Google, when Richard pointed out the description. (which is bijarky. Employees would revolt if being asked to wear skin tight jodphurs. The average American woman is SIZE 14. I'm an 8-10 depending on the brand, and wouldn't want to wear those. 

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

    I think it is a bit unrealistic to think retail clerks would be wearing flip flops. It doesn't happen in any stores I visit in Florida.

    LOL, I didn't even get that far down to notice! And I learned a new word- jeggings. I looked up "do leggings have pockets" in Google, when Richard pointed out the description. (which is bijarky. Employees would revolt if being asked to wear skin tight jodphurs. The average American woman is SIZE 14. I'm an 8-10 depending on the brand, and wouldn't want to wear those. 

    Sadly, I see employees in leggings all the time.  Most of whom should NOT be wearing leggings.  I wear a 10 and only wear leggings around the house or with a really long shirt that goes to at least mid thigh lol. I should not be able to tell what you like naked if you are in public.

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432

    Can I show some renders of Darwin Mishaps coming soon project?  Just want to make sure its okay.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

    Can I show some renders of Darwin Mishaps coming soon project?  Just want to make sure its okay.

    Of course!

    BTW, there is a coupon code over on Rendo that will expire in about two hours. It's an easy one- 11 percent off $10. Works on sale items too, not every vendor participates but I didn't find any that weren't. There will be a green square (like a coupon) over by the Purchase button. I grabbed a couple cars, modern, and not exotic sports cars. I needed more family cars.

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432
    edited February 2017

    Just be aware it doesn't work on prime items.  Even though the coupon showed green....At least that's what they told me in the forums over there.

    I will post what I am working on tomorrow when I get home from work.  I have two done in different lighting and I want to post them together so you can really see what it looks like.

    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    And oh golly, is this off topic, but I'm sharing in case you haven't thought about this. Don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the US, I was getting charged a lot for television, plus fees, plus taxes, so  I researched about a week- then went to Roku + Playstation Vue + PlayOn Plus then Leaf50 Antenna, and get every single channel that I had plus DVR capabilities (that's Playon Plus), and with the antenna I am getting the HD channels of ABC, CBS, NBC in real time. The cable company didn't have as a lesser package with those basic channels, the least I would pay is 48.00 (then still add on the 12.50 and 10.80 in taxes and fees.)  With the Roku Ultra, this is 4HD or 1080.

    That Leaf 50 antenna really delivers, my tv is ultra crisp for all those, no buffering.

    For Roku/ Playstation Vue- You have to have good internet to do it, but if you go up a plan to get what you need, you may be saving money because no television costs, fees, and taxes by FCC. Oh, and...

    Now I'm paying 37.50 a month for all those tv channels and "cable" channels. (Roku and antenna have no fees, that's the Playstation Vue and Playon Plus costs.) Saving 73.00 a month! (Getting Turner Classic Movies that I couldn't get before, and watched The Birds last night, Casablanca tonight, they are celebrating 30 years of Oscar and going through the alphabet. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Newman and Taylor is on now, not watching it, doing zbrush.)  I get CNN, SYFY, USA, HGTV, ESPN, all of the custom channels. Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff you subscribe to is included in the main menus, for easy surfing. (some via Roku, some Vue)

     I didn't cancel cable yet, wanted to try this first, but I'm getting zero buffering, no issues at all, just like most people said! The Ultra Roku has a remote, and voice commands, and headphones, and does the 4HD, but all the Rokus have a good reputation, except Ultra does NOT work with Fling (which charges you $10 for the sports channels that Playstation Vue includes. Fling also has more buffering issues. And no, you do NOT need a Playstation.)  

    PlayOn Plus lets you schedule and tape things like a DVR, and has a commercial free feature so those are scrolled through. Only $2.50 a month. (Pay annually, $30 upfront.) Then whatever you pick can be streamed to your Roku, on your phone, on your PC.

    The Playstaton Vue is a channel, just like the other channels. I went Core Slim and get 35 channels!  Yep, that averages one dollar per channel a month! ($34.95) One feature I love- You can enter an actor, show, movie- then they appear for you when a new show comes on. It does the searching for you. Neat!

    So if you want to "cut the cord" these make it easy if you get the right internet speeds to do it. And you may have $70 more a month to spend on Daz, or pay some on that credit card debt for Daz purchases in December LOL. 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 10,544
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

    I think it is a bit unrealistic to think retail clerks would be wearing flip flops. It doesn't happen in any stores I visit in Florida.

    LOL, I didn't even get that far down to notice! And I learned a new word- jeggings. I looked up "do leggings have pockets" in Google, when Richard pointed out the description. (which is bijarky. Employees would revolt if being asked to wear skin tight jodphurs. The average American woman is SIZE 14. I'm an 8-10 depending on the brand, and wouldn't want to wear those. 

    Sadly, I see employees in leggings all the time.  Most of whom should NOT be wearing leggings.  I wear a 10 and only wear leggings around the house or with a really long shirt that goes to at least mid thigh lol. I should not be able to tell what you like naked if you are in public.

    People are allowed to wear what they enjoy wearing, what makes them feel good, what they are comfortable in, what they can afford, etc. Life is too short to let other people try to tell you what you should or shouldn't wear - if it makes you happy then do it. If someone doesn't like the way you look in something that's their issue and they can practice the ancient art of looking at something else. What other people wear isn't anyone else's business. 

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 10,544
    edited February 2017
    Novica said:

    And oh golly, is this off topic, but I'm sharing in case you haven't thought about this. Don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the US, I was getting charged a lot for television, plus fees, plus taxes, so  I researched about a week- then went to Roku + Playstation Vue + PlayOn Plus then Leaf50 Antenna, and get every single channel that I had plus DVR capabilities (that's Playon Plus), and with the antenna I am getting the HD channels of ABC, CBS, NBC in real time. The cable company didn't have as a lesser package with those basic channels, the least I would pay is 48.00 (then still add on the 12.50 and 10.80 in taxes and fees.)  With the Roku Ultra, this is 4HD or 1080.

    That Leaf 50 antenna really delivers, my tv is ultra crisp for all those, no buffering.

    For Roku/ Playstation Vue- You have to have good internet to do it, but if you go up a plan to get what you need, you may be saving money because no television costs, fees, and taxes by FCC. Oh, and...

    Now I'm paying 37.50 a month for all those tv channels and "cable" channels. (Roku and antenna have no fees, that's the Playstation Vue and Playon Plus costs.) Saving 73.00 a month! (Getting Turner Classic Movies that I couldn't get before, and watched The Birds last night, Casablanca tonight, they are celebrating 30 years of Oscar and going through the alphabet. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Newman and Taylor is on now, not watching it, doing zbrush.)  I get CNN, SYFY, USA, HGTV, ESPN, all of the custom channels. Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff you subscribe to is included in the main menus, for easy surfing. (some via Roku, some Vue)

     I didn't cancel cable yet, wanted to try this first, but I'm getting zero buffering, no issues at all, just like most people said! The Ultra Roku has a remote, and voice commands, and headphones, and does the 4HD, but all the Rokus have a good reputation, except Ultra does NOT work with Fling (which charges you $10 for the sports channels that Playstation Vue includes. Fling also has more buffering issues. And no, you do NOT need a Playstation.)  

    PlayOn Plus lets you schedule and tape things like a DVR, and has a commercial free feature so those are scrolled through. Only $2.50 a month. (Pay annually, $30 upfront.) Then whatever you pick can be streamed to your Roku, on your phone, on your PC.

    The Playstaton Vue is a channel, just like the other channels. I went Core Slim and get 35 channels!  Yep, that averages one dollar per channel a month! ($34.95) One feature I love- You can enter an actor, show, movie- then they appear for you when a new show comes on. It does the searching for you. Neat!

    So if you want to "cut the cord" these make it easy if you get the right internet speeds to do it. And you may have $70 more a month to spend on Daz, or pay some on that credit card debt for Daz purchases in December LOL. 

    Yep, this is a good way to go. My husband and I do the Playstation route - where we have Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon. Between those four we really don't miss not having cable and it's WAY cheaper. I think we pay like $7 for the Hulu, $12 for the Netflix, Youtube is free, and Amazon we only use every once in a while to rent a streaming movie - we maybe rent one $3.99 movie every couple of months). So that comes out to around $21 a month. It's so much cheaper than cable and we have a ton of movies and tv shows to watch whenever we want. It's a much better deal, IMO. 

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

    For me, the thought is "comfort." Can you imagine being a retail clerk and trying to move around in those all day? Squatting down to get something under the counter would chaffe I would think. 

     

     

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 10,544
    edited February 2017
    Novica said:

    For me, the thought is "comfort." Can you imagine being a retail clerk and trying to move around in those all day? Squatting down to get something under the counter would chaffe I would think. 

     

     

    hahah Yeah, personally I wouldn't want to wear them all day while working - and definitely not in public, but that's just my preference. I try not to judge anyone who wants to though - their body, their rules. lol If I think they look awful in what they wear I just look elsewhere. lol :)

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    FWSA Monika HD For VIctoria 7        Street Artist for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    In the featured stores, so thought I'd do this for you before getting some sleep.  Click to enlarge. She seemed like a mature gal in the promos so I wanted to put her in something youthful just for fun. 

    MonikaStreetArtist.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    MonikaStreetArtist2.png
    470 x 1000 - 404K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432
    edited February 2017

    These are some test renders for DarwinsMishaps LIE make up for G3M.  The two of Dash have three layers, so this set is going to very versatile as you can add as many different layers as you like.

    Dash Blue Eyes.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    Dash Blue Eyes 2.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    Brothers Liquid Make Up Test.png
    2400 x 1920 - 8M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249
    edited February 2017

    Blast from the past, a Genesis gal for you!  It's Mayda, from Sabby, from Rendo, I hadn't tested Genesis in awhile and wanted to see how the expressions and poses were. Very stiff compared to Genesis 2 and 3. So I UberBased her to get Iray, added a bit of reflectivity to get a tad more shine, and put on Micah Hair, which I really like as a short hairstyle. And hey, it's for the Genesis 2 guys and gals too!

    genesisMayda.png
    533 x 635 - 451K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432

    And I guess I am just old school, if you are representing a company you should be dressed at least semi professionally.  I couldn't care less what people wear when they are on their own time, and for the most part, don't even notice but if you are in a professional capacity I don't want to know what your crotch looks like.  But, we are all entitled to own opinions and people are going to do what they want no matter what any of us think.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,249

    Those look interesting Sonja! Where exactly is LIE located? I saw someone else ask that question over in the forums but it hadn't been answered when I was there. I haven't had time to experiment with it, and I have quite a few products that use it I think.

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,432

    Novica, thank you for that my husband and I are seriously considering cutting out the satellite TV, we already have Amazon Prime and Netflix.  We don't do movie channels anyway.  I just didn't even know where to start looking.  This will help a lot.

  • The LIE settings are in the Surfaces Editor; you need a base map, such as the diffuse, to start with.  Say you want eyeliner.  You open the Surfaces Tab, then click the down arrow at the left side of the figure you are working with.  Once the surfaces are open, select the face.   At the right side of the menu, you can select any dial that has a base map already in place, such as the Base Color.  Left click on the Base Color where the map image is and the pop up menu will open.  Below Browse, None, and Image Editor, there will be the Layered Image Editor (LIE).  Select that (it takes a few seconds to open the pop up window) and you can add layers, masks, choose which to add from your own files, overlay settings, etc.

This discussion has been closed.