Freak 5 Thread

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

It seems to be time for a reminder to keep the discussion civil, and that figure wars are no more welcome than app wars.

Yeah, dudez. There's no reason for everyone to be, like, Freaking out, man.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I adored Freak 3 was bleh about Freak 4 and think there are aspects of Freak 5 I can work with. I'm not all that into muscles (so why do I have smay's Hyde? not sure) but I like the vision of hitman and colonel chaos. The only Genesis character I'm not at all enamored with is M5 and suspect I'll still be using M4 a lot either as a Genesis shape or himself, and reserve Genesis supreme status to F5 instead.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

It seems to be time for a reminder to keep the discussion civil, and that figure wars are no more welcome than app wars.

Yeah, dudez. There's no reason for everyone to be, like, Freaking out, man.

I wish I'd thought of that.

And yes, there's nothing inherently uncivil about comparisons if desired - as long as they are calm and accept that different people will have different views.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

The 50% discount on DAZ Original poses isn't showing up for me. Neither is the one for clothing and accessories. Didn't get an e-mail about this either.

[strike]And dear lord what happened to the forums? DAZ why do you hate me?[/strike]

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Cool, thanks. Your response did remind me to clarify I meant the ones that came with Freak 5 himself, not the JoeQuick ones in the Pro Bundle (though I'm curious about those too.) the Freak 5 info says there are 6 alternate head shapes included.

Yes they are. I hope this is more or less what you needed. I used M5's base body. They are huge, but probably you can scale them or using a smaller amount or something. They are additive, so you have to use the default head too or they look like something from Sesame Street.
    Let me know if you need something else.

No, that's fine. thanks.

Gonna require a bit more thought, but the odds of picking F5 up this sale are increasing.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

A quick look at a side-by-side of the standard Freak shapes for Genesis (Mr Hyde is tagged on the end to show just how big he actually is compared to the "normal" Freaks)

Genesis_Freak_Shapes.jpg
    1920 x 627 - 157K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

I think Freak 5 looks great . His face is more realistic for his body proportions. The ONLY way a male can get that big is to take steroids and steroids end up affecting the face and his face looks like it belongs to that freaky body size and shape. Can't wait to play with him. Maybe mix up M5 with him so he's not quite so freaky. Wonder if a Superman can be made mixing those two up?

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

The 50% discount on DAZ Original poses isn't showing up for me. Neither is the one for clothing and accessories. Didn't get an e-mail about this either.

[strike]And dear lord what happened to the forums? DAZ why do you hate me?[/strike]

are you sure you are logged in in the store? Because unless you are the discounts won't show up.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    A quick look at a side-by-side of the standard Freak shapes for Genesis (Mr Hyde is tagged on the end to show just how big he actually is compared to the "normal" Freaks)

You know, it is actually a scary lineup, like a man turning into monster one step at the time
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Bea said:

are you sure you are logged in in the store? Because unless you are the discounts won't show up.
    Quite sure, my cart and PC discounts show up fine. Tried logging out and back in to no effect, too.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited December 1969

Something that seems fairly evident is that (probably due to scaling issues) DAZ doesn't have the kind of full confidence that vendors are going to be building as many new characters for him as they expect them to do for some of the other figures. They ship him with 7 heads, right off the bat, and along with his launch are two more packs one with 8 more heads and another with 4. That's enough to fill most people's cast of heavies right there from day one.

Of course by this time V5 and M5 have plenty of new character head morphs which they share with Stephanie and anyone else, but they certainly never came out with *19* different heads first crack out of the box.

The poor old Girl has been wearing essentially the same head since Gen3.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I like Freak5 the best Freak so far now at last the face mood match the rest before the face was puppy with muscle, now it looks more stronger all together , what else you expect from freak? a bundle of muscles what else , the hulk will be always a hulk and so the freak will be a freak with own signature posture and for the first time I really like it .. what don't mean you should like it too it is personal opinion , as I play with him for a while now and is great...

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited January 2013

JOdel said:
    Something that seems fairly evident is that (probably due to scaling issues) DAZ doesn't have the kind of full confidence that vendors are going to be building as many new characters for him as they expect them to do for some of the other figures. They ship him with 7 heads, right off the bat .........

They could also be showing the versatility available with this character as a standalone without having to purchase other Genesis faces.

Since Freak 4 had included 11 additional head shapes, it would seem like a step down if Freak 5 only had one.

Post edited by Graze on
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

Thanks for this.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Something that seems fairly evident is that (probably due to scaling issues) DAZ doesn't have the kind of full confidence that vendors are going to be building as many new characters for him as they expect them to do for some of the other figures. They ship him with 7 heads, right off the bat, and along with his launch are two more packs one with 8 more heads and another with 4. That's enough to fill most people's cast of heavies right there from day one.

Of course by this time V5 and M5 have plenty of new character head morphs which they share with Stephanie and anyone else, but they certainly never came out with *19* different heads first crack out of the box.

The poor old Girl has been wearing essentially the same head since Gen3.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how many heads came with the basic Freak 5, let alone all the ones in the other two morph packs. It does seem that the Gen 4 characters came with more shapes than the Gen 5 ones do. But you can't mix and match all of them the way you can with Genesis shapes, so maybe the trade-off is a good one. I like what I've seen so far of the new Freak, so I hope to be picking him up payday. There are a lot of newer characters that I like (Young Teens, Hiro 5), but don't really need right now for any renders I want to do. Freak 5, however, is something I can really use, so I'm definitely picking him up as soon as possible.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Freak 5 seems dramatically different from Freak 4 to me. It takes up similar negative space, certainly, but the muscle detail and the head differences are significant. It reminds me a great deal of the differences between M4 and M5. That doesn't necessarily make it good, but I feel it fits in better with the Gen5 series.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

In the comparison picture that Jabba101 posted F5 looks much different from F4, really more detailed. I don´t know what Hellboy was complaining about.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I really liked the Freak 5 SWOLE promo video... the muscled guy walking in the desert and the one staked to the cliffside... really cool.

edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I really liked the Freak 5 SWOLE promo video... the muscled guy walking in the desert and the one staked to the cliffside... really cool.

Yes, that animation is great!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

Thank you very much for this and the smile the title of the picture gave me.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Part of keeping the tone civil is not getting into a discussion of what should or shouldn't have been said, or how something was said. The thread has been trimmed accordingly.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:

Yes, that animation is great!

I've watched the video several times. I also liked the end where it showed the other products used.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I like freak 5's skin and I can see some real potential here, to add some buffness to standarad M5. I'm all for more male figures.

How does freak 5 mix with Michael 5? Does he look good?

edited December 1969

riftwitch said:

I've watched the video several times. I also liked the end where it showed the other products used.

Isn´t it cool what some people can create with DS or Poser? I admire the maker, something like that is far beyond my skills at the moment.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

I like freak 5's skin and I can see some real potential here, to add some buffness to standarad M5. I'm all for more male figures.

How does freak 5 mix with Michael 5? Does he look good?

I think you know the answer. Unfortunately I don't have a screen to prove it. But yes you can have success mixing the two in various amounts.

I'd say typically you would start with M5 and add in small amounts of freak, and not the other way around though.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Some Michael 5 with Freak 5 (and Freak 5 Super) mergers. Texture is Philip (shaven) for Michael 5.

Postwork includes using an unsharp mask filter in Photoshop due to it being a little blurry after resizing from 2800 pixels wide to 2000 for the sake of posting here.

themmichaels_small.png
    2000 x 400 - 456K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Really like the 50% M5 and 50% Freak 5. Looks very good.

edited January 2013

Side-by-Side F4 vs F5 comparisons with F4 on the left, F5 on the right. In the overlap image, F5 has a 50% opacity and is placed over the F4 images. Everything in the scene setups are identical between comparisons except whether F4 or F5 is applied at 100%.

Texture still Phillip. Clothes in the outfit comparison are from Effortless Cool.

EDIT: I should probably note that I pretty much always have the full body "Flexions" pose morph on. This basically just flexes certain muscles appropriately in certain poses, which would certainly apply to the arms and shoulders here. It's a minor difference, but in the interest of full disclosure, I felt I should mention it.

F4VsF5overlay.png
    950 x 728 - 608K
    F4VsF502.png
    950 x 728 - 799K
    F4VsF501.png
    950 x 1456 - 767K
    Post edited by dan.shive on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I'm inclined to agree with Hellboy. I like the features and added definition of F5's face, but that's just about the only good thing I can say.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited January 2013

...Not only is everyone entitled to his or her opinion, but I think that pretty much all the opinions, both pro and con, on F5 in this thread have some validity--everyone has a different perspective, and different needs and expectations.

The other point I'd like to make is, thank you to dan.shive and Jabba101 for posting those comparison renders. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on