The They Stuck Gears on my Convoy Whinging Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621

...sunny Sunday but not as warm, only mid 50s today.  Though made it into the low 60s yesterday after the sun came out.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:

And now for our regularly scheduled complaint...

Have you ever seen the insurance commercial with the elderly technology challenged lady showing her friends her wall of pictures and when they disagree with her she tells them they are "unfriended" and one of the says  "That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works"...?

Why is it that I feel half the websites out there for non-impulse purchase related goods were put together by that technology challenged lady? 

A while back I used to have paper catalogs that I'd order stuff from... So say I needed a new chuck for a drill press, I'd open a catalog I thought would have one... go to the page where the drill chucks were and I'd either find it or not... Now you go to that same company's website and type in "1/2 inch integral shank drill chuck" and it'll think a bit and come back with "Derrrr... 0 matches for this item" or 66,953 other items that have the word "Drill", "Chuck", "1", "2", "Intergral" or "Shank"...

No... I don't need "12" sets of "Chuck" Berry commemorative "Drill" bits...

Worse yet, if you decide to wade into that mess and eventually find the item you asked for on page 900 it will be stupidly expensive.

Even better is when they give you the option to enter the model number and when you do (correctly), it comes back as "0 matches"... but for whatever reason, you end up finding it later... With that same model number you entered...

Then there is the one where you can't find it and you use Google and that gives you tons of hits that on each one sucks worse than the last...

So once upon a time I'd pick up a catalog from the places I knew probably carried the item, flipped through it, found the item, checked the competition's prices, decided which item I wanted and called the company, placed the order and in few minutes the item was in the works on its way to me... Now thanks to the wonders of the Internet, thirty five minutes later I'm still searching for whatever the item is, I'm pissed, the handful of people who used to work taking orders over the phone are long gone, the catalog is gone and soon enough whatever is small enough to be delivered by some dumb ass drone (wheeled or flying) will be finding a way of making even the delivery aspect of this exercise stupidly unpleasant.

Internet... You have not made my life better like all your friends promised me you would... You suck.

Granted,  if I were looking for a pair of brand named sneakers or designer clothing I'd have that item in ten seconds at a uniformly locked median price* and that would be the end of it... But try finding less trendingly popular stuff or trying to actually getting things done... Pffft.

To paraphrase Lincoln Steffens... "I have seen the future and it... is really, really stupid."

*I have really issues with so many of the sites that are supposed to be sooooo cheap, yet each of them has a uniform price that is almost alway more money than a brick and mortar store is selling it for... I really think people have no sense of what things cost anymore... They see four sites selling a $10 item for twenty dollars and since no internet site will charge the $10 the physical store is regularly selling the item for, when they see it for $15 at the "bargain" sites, they assume that is the absolute lowest price... To which you add shipping too... Which is especially annoying on that site everyone loves so much, where that item is $20 for prime members, but ONLY cheaper from vendors that are not part of the prime membership... So one way or another, you are never getting that item for less then $20...

...egads, how true. 

Been shopping around for 24 GB of DDR3 non ECC memory and seem to get everything but.  Server memory will not work on a standard PC MB.  No I have an old P6T MB and i7 that doesn't support DDDR4. The MB doesn't support 8 GB sticks, only 4 GB. Bugger, I'm not paying 600$ for previous generation memory I saw on Newegg last December that was then priced at 125$ (when of course I didn't have the funds to get it). If I were paid for all the hours I spent searching I could afford an entirely new system by now.

Finally said heck with it and went to ebay where I found a couple GSkill kits (same as the one at Newegg which is now 186$) for sale, one at auction (which I entered a bid on) and another at a buy it now price of 125$ (which I put a watch on if the bidding on the other one gets too high).  Yeah, both kits are used, but that's kinda the breaks with older tech these days.    Part of the issue is I also need to budget for an OEM of W7 Pro and would like to keep the full upgrade to under 200$ if possible.

What really gets me is memory and hard drives... Get an older slower 500GB or 1 TB for under $59?... Maybe if it's a special clearance, you might get lucky... But it's such BS that despite tech moving forward at such a blinding pace, the old stuff practically never drops in price... Newish 1 TB hard drives seem to have this $59 - $64 price fence nobody can hurdle over somehow.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

complaint  chocolate cake doesnt taste like cake or chocolate any more.   its all like hydrogofat

only thing still tastes like chocolate is the ferrero rochero

officcially peeps anf jellybean season.

was it Reagan the jellybean president?
    Carter was the peanuts

wondering if my legacy to the world is trash not biodegrading in the landfill

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

Some packages of chocolate icing don't taste like chocolate.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030

I like pie.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,215
    Tjohn said:

I like pie.

Is that an octopie? indecision

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited April 2017

...sometimes it pays to stay up a littler bit longer. Just scored LAMH for 15$.  The nice part, it is easier on system resources in Iray than Garibaldi.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Tjohn said:

I like pie.

Is that an octopie? indecision

Yep. Blueberry octopie.

in the office all by my lonesomes today.

thinking of ordering chinese food for lunch, body is messaging, eat rice 

mebbe steamed brocolli on rice. couple of spring rolls.

new SQUIRREL  

complaint - asked the internet  how to photoshop men's eyebrows

internet is letting me down. showing pictures of no eyebrows.  christopher walkin?!

Ah, finally someone has the balls. laugh   http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39459831

I once considered going around the country reversing improper "&" symbols and calling myself "Johnny Ampersand".  devil (Thinly veiled reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed )

I once considered going around the country reversing improper "&" symbols and calling myself "Johnny Ampersand".  devil (Thinly veiled reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed )

What would be an example of an improper &?

edited April 2017
    Tjohn said:

One reversed.  One suffering from lateral dyslexia.  One from Bizzaro World.  An oopsie.  One that slept with my sister.

Example below.

If you don't see them, then you may be part of the problem. surprise

BackwardsAmpersand.jpg
    225 x 216 - 7K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited April 2017
    Tjohn said:

One reversed.  One suffering from lateral dyslexia.  One from Bizzaro World.  An oopsie.  One that slept with my sister.

Example below.

If you don't see them, then you may be part of the problem. surprise

Gotcha. wink I call those cursive Ss. (ess-es)

Post edited by TJohn on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    MistyRara said:

internet is letting me down. showing pictures of no eyebrows.  christopher walkin?!

Do Not Photoshop My Eyebrows. They look bad enough as it is. Just sayin'

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I blew up Bristol once, in a novel.

Kaboom! 

You could say it was no longer Bristol Fashion . . .

• Ah, finally someone has the balls. laugh   http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39459831

I blew up Bristol once, in a novel.

Kaboom! 

You could say it was no longer Bristol Fashion . . .

The Daz store and gallery feature extensive areas of Bristol.

MistyRara said:

Do Not Photoshop My Eyebrows. They look bad enough as it is. Just sayin'

an interesting eyebrow look smiley

1986 Labyrinth came out.  30 foxtrot years , brain essploding 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760

Trying to decide if I want to use my PC coupon today and if so on what?

I almost forgot to add the coupon to the final order of the day (I think)

I almost forgot to add the coupon to the final order of the day (I think)

is a tough decision deciding which coupie to use first

>.<  did i spell janette wrong?  spposed to be jeanette?

Boss said I had too many earrings today. I am supposed to only have one or two pairs of earrings in while at work.  I wonder if spacers count?

Did I put the right disc into the mobie player?

Yep but the movie is completely in Fench with English subtitles.   I do not know enough of French to understand it without reading the subtitles.

cant think of a male name to go with samantha   spelt that write i think

• MistyRara said:

cant think of a male name to go with samantha   spelt that write i think

Samuel?

This discussion has been closed.